Carrie Clark: Owners and unleashed dogs beware

Every day I get up and out with my dog, Ruger. As I leash him and strap on my running shoes to jog through the streets of Craig, more often than not, I am attacked/pestered by unleashed dogs.

On Friday, I even ran by the park as an owner watched his dog run up to my dog and mount him. I yelled and kicked at the dog, and the owner watched.

I continued two blocks with the dog in tow, and he finally tackled my dog. So I kicked the dog as hard as I could, and then the owner decided to get angry.

I want to let the residents know I am buying full strength pepper spray.

Owners who think they are above and beyond the leash law, and unleashed dogs, need to beware. I have made at least 10 reports in the past six months and have never seen a cop even patrol by our house when there are unleashed dogs.

It's an outrage. I obey the law, and I suffer for it because my dog can't get away from other dogs when they approach us.

I wish there was something I could do. Pepper spray seems like the only valid solution short of letting my dog get ravaged/violated by other dogs.

Carrie Clark

Comments

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

Another good reason for the law I think sould be enacted. And another good reason to eliminate the animal control positions from the city/county payroll.

greeneyedgurl 4 years, 10 months ago

Dog catcher won't do crap. My neighbor dogs are always out chasing people and deer, the dog catcher drives right on by. I've even watched the scottish terrier chase the dog catcher's truck down the road!

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think I quite understand lonelyone's comment. But if you are asking should the killing be at my disgression, my decision, I must say YES. It was the pet owners disgression, decision to release their pet to roam free, unrestrained. So yes, it should be my disgression to defend myself from some idiot pet owner's pet that has not been trained, and is not on a leash. This has nothing to do with wild game hunting.

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

I would not be taking the law into my own hands, I would be using the law. There is a BIG difference. And if someone decides to come after me, they will either end up in jail or the morgue. It of course is their choice.

Ray Cartwright 4 years, 10 months ago

What als wants is that if the laws on the books now aren't being enforced then we should create a new law that won't be enforced; but wait isn't that what they are doing with gun control, illegal aliens and numerous other laws that are on the books now?

JAHM 4 years, 10 months ago

Thats funny I have had the same problem with animal control and the PD telling me they have no one on duty or because its the weekend we would have to hold the dog at our house until weekend was over and they had someone on duty or let the dog go. Also, not sure how much trouble you could get into if you pepper sprayed a dog! you might want to think about what could possibly happen to you! if you do that. Might be possible charges brought against you for animal cruelty. Just a thought.

GreyStone 4 years, 10 months ago

The lack of attention to the existing laws by the animal control people in Craig, Colorado must be addressed before some poor pet gets dispatched and an animal lover turns violent. Crime in the making, pure and simple.

Why do the tax payers support an animal control person if they are not doing the job?

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think I am any more crazy, or off my rocker than those people that allow their pets to run rampant anywhere. People that allow this type of thing to happen have no respect for anyone or anything. With that being the case, why should I have any respect for their pets?

Unless your hunting for deer, elk, bear or whatever, huh als??? Then they can invade your space when ever they want to cuz it makes hunting that much easier for you? Which means this law you speak of should be at your convenience?

freeman 4 years, 10 months ago

you better watch out,,cujo comes out only after dark ????

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

I believe that the leash law should be changed to state that if any pet, not on a leash, approaches to within 10 feet of you, then you have the right to kill it by any means you choose. If these pet owners can't obey the law as it is now, in my opinion they don't care about their animals, and expect me to train them.
I will be happy to do that, it is entirely up to the pet owners. If the animal control people don't want to do their job(s), this type of law could be enacted and the animal control people could be taken off the cities payroll forever. I am confident a good use could be found for that money. If people don't care for my opinion, I really don't give a hoot. I am tired of putting up with free ranging pets invading my space, what ever my space happens to be.

als362 4 years, 10 months ago

dentedfender is completely wrong again. What I want is a law that I will enforce, ME, not the police or the lazy, useless animal control people. This way I do not need to call anyone to assist me in the enforcement. Since I will be the one killing the errant pet, the end of the problem with that pet will come very quickly, and will never occur again. That is exactly what I wrote, I never mentioned calling the police or anyone else. Please read what I write, not what you want it to read.

JAHM 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah and what measures do you think will be taken when an owner of a pet finds out you killed their pet? maybe nothing at all? or maybe something very very bad could happen to you or someone else who takes it upon themselves to kill an animal that is not leashed. so all that law that you are enforcing is going to do is start to cause violence between actual people! and someone could get seriously hurt or even killed. So I think its off the wall over the top that anyone would think just taking the law into their own has and start killing the animals would make it better.

als, are you off your rocker?? Your sounding a bit crazy here. Just because you don't like animals in your space where ever that space might be, doesn't mean the animal needs to be killed. Cause what your saying is, if the animal is in your space where ever that space might be, then you have the right to kill the animal if it bothers you. So you think you can come into my yard and kill my pet because you don't like it being around you?? I don't think so. I agree with you in the fact that animal control isn't doing it's job very well. In which case the city either needs to fire that person and hire someone new or let the police take care of it and they don't have the time for it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I agree with you that something different needs to be done. Just not Als law!