Verna L. Miller: TMH care was great

— To the editor:

I have been reading the letters about The Memorial Hospital. Apparently, there have been patients who feel they haven't been treated very well by the hospital staff and ambulance crew.

I would like to offer the other side of the picture. I have been to the emergency room several times.

Each time, I had different doctors and nurses caring for me. I was treated with dignity and respect each time.

In December 2007, I was in the hospital with a stroke. Dr. Roberts and the nurses were excellent in their duties. I am now doing great.

The last time I was in, it was Dr. Kipe and his staff who cared for me. I couldn't have asked for any better care.

I am very appreciative of the hospital staff and ambulance crew for their care and consideration.

Thanks a million.

Verna L. Miller

Comments

David Moore 5 years, 9 months ago

Thank you Mrs. Miller for your positive letter, I am happy that your expectations were met and that your visit with us was a pleasant one. Your letter is an excellent example that we are doing what we have spent a lifetime educating ourselves for, providing the best medical care possible for our community. We strive daily to improve and we are dedicated to the citizens of this wonderful region we ALL call home...we won't settle for less. Again, thank you Mrs. Miller, it's nice to see something positive in the newspaper for a change.

David Moore 5 years, 9 months ago

I did not find anything funny about my response. Rather than comments such as the one by freeman, I feel intelligent discussion would be a more appropriate avenue to take. I will gladly respond to questions and such but I refuse to fall into the pit of doom displayed on this forum and begin an arguement. I came here to shed some light from an employees point of view(20 years here), if you do not desire that I will stop posting. Lets try to work this all out, we don't find any humor in it and we are determined to correct it. Thank you. Have a nice day.

wickedstepmother 5 years, 9 months ago

I can appreciate someone in need of good medical care more than most. I suffer several debilitating painful and disabling conditions. I have sought help at the Memorial Hosp several times over the past few years and have come to find the quailty of care received is based on the knowledge of the patients history and not on the immediate reason of the emergency room visit. As I had a fever and intense migraine with neck and back pain for three days I grew concerned and went to the ER. There after an hour and a half I was told I had pneumonia handed a prescription for an antibiotic and told goodbye. I had no cough at all and was questioning the diagnosis. For this I was told by the nurse it started as upper respiratory infection and the doctor would not address me at all because I asked for something for the migraine. Of course I was given nothing due to a maintainance pain prescription I had received 2 weeks prior and discharged. Curiously after I finished the antibiotic I became sick with a sinus infection and now I have upper respiratory congestion. I had none of these symptoms at the time of the ER visit so I got a copy of the chest x-ray report taken that supposidly showed pneumonia. To my surprise the report says it was ordered for symptoms being a cough and the result says NORMAL & CLEAR. So where exactly was the pneumonia? And why would Dr. KIpe the Chief of Staff prescibe an antibiotic to someone for pneumonia when the x-ray does not indicate any? This kind of medical care from your facility Mr. Moore is the kind that can kill people. I now am faced with an illness that is obviously stronger than the antibiotic I was given and apparently it is not pneumonia.

freeman 5 years, 9 months ago

DAVID,,DAVID,,I DID NOT MEAN ANY HARM TOWARDS YOU OR THE HOSPITAL,,,I JUST CANT BELIEVE THIS IS STILL GOING ON,,,,YOU KNOW THAT WE ALL DISCUSSED THIS IN OUR LAST MEETING,,,,I HAVE SEEN IT TO WORKING HERE THE LAST FEW YEARS,,,YOU KNOW ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE,,,,THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT,,,,,,,,RIGHT,,,,SO DONT LET THE PUBLIC GET TO YOU,,,YOUR A GREAT GUY,,,,,,,

David Moore 5 years, 9 months ago

Freeman, My apologies, I thought you were mocking my response. It is hard to not let this get to me, I know the dedication of the staff and the importance of this old place and the new facility, after being here this long I can say that it has been much worse. I do agree that there are some bad apples and a couple of rotten ones at that...and as the old adage goes, they have apparently spoiled the bunch. That is what brought me here to this forum, to tell people that despite those bad apples, there ARE people who care, there ARE people who know their jobs very well and there ARE highly educated people working at TMH. We don't get degrees and diplomas/certificates from Wal-Mart, we get them from accredited and approved facilities and colleges. I am in school right now, to better myself and better the hospital, which in turn benefits the public. That was MY choice and no one else's, atypical of a rotten employee. Thank you for clarifying your posting freeman, last thing I want to do is anger the crowd. You obviously know who I am so I won't jump to conclusions so quickly from now on...it would be interesting to know though.........

David Moore 5 years, 9 months ago

wickedstepmother, I am here to speak up for the employees and inform those that are not informed about the need for a new facility, I cannot speak for the Dr's. and their diagnosis. In my opinion, your issue is something you should take up with that particular Dr., that is the route I would go if that had happened to me. Thank you for your response.

freeman 5 years, 8 months ago

I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU DAVID,,BUT IT MIGHT GET MY BUTT IN HOT WATER,,,I SEE YOU STRIVE EVERY DAY YOU WORK THE ER ..YOU ARE HONEST WITH THE CUSTOMERS AND DO SHOW CARE..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

greeneyedgurl 5 years, 8 months ago

Who cares about the hot water, there's nothing wrong with telling someone that they are doing great. There are some very caring, hard working employee's there and there are some that aren't. I think it shows commitment & dedication that you are on here, David trying to clear the bad air for what others have done.

greeneyedgurl 5 years, 8 months ago

Don't get me wrong, freeman-I wasn't meaning to say your comment was inappropriate, I was just meaning that you go ahead and say what you want, don't worry about the hot water.

David Moore 5 years, 8 months ago

Freeman, I believe you might have me mixed up with another David who works in the ER. All the same, thanks for your kind words. Same to you Greeneyedgurl, thank you.