Bill Ronis: Take care of Craig

— To the editor:

My wife and I ride our bikes all over the place. We just can't believe the amount of beer bottles, half full Mountain Dews and paper cups with the straws still in the plastic lids that litter the sides of all our roads.

We rode the plant loop from Highway 13 back down by Loudy-Simpson the other day and holy cow.

The section west from Loaf-N-Jug to Ridgeview is unbelievable, too.

What kind of impression are we trying to make here? Are we trying to tell the world we are a bunch of litter bugs?

In 1965, Lady Bird Johnson started a program to beautify America. We have the beauty here, so why trash it up? Where is your respect for the land we live on? I just can't believe that some people can think it is OK to throw trash out of the car window.

Unfortunately, we have no control over the ignorant people that throw stuff out of their car windows and make the roadways look like hell.

So my wife, daughter and I decided to pick up a section by where we live. It looks nice now. But, every day we have to stop and pick up a new Sprite or Corona bottle.

We are going to stretch out to other sections of highway.

So, I call on the families who care about Craig to go out and pick up a stretch of highway. All you groups that have adopted a stretch of highway, it's time to get out there. It is a shame that it is not enough to just pick up a section of trash-ridden highway and be done with it. You will have to maintain it, as well.

Pick a section of highway and make it your own. Take care of it. Keep it nice. The people who are litter bugs will keep throwing trash, so take ownership of a section of highway and take care of it.

Please take care of Craig.

Bill Ronis

Comments

valleylocal 5 years ago

You don't need laws to do your part in keeping our community and county a beautiful place. Its called volunteering and taking pride. I'm on Bill's side, last summer a group went to pebble beach and sand beach, on the river, and picked up around 800lbs of trash; they didn't need a law to do their part. Good for them!!!

trout2k 5 years ago

The fact is--those who choose to throw trash out their window and leave crap everywhere are truly the "garbage of humanity". I am getting very tired of cleaning up after them. Do the world a favor and clean up after yourself, and as Bill said, adopt and maintain someplace that really needs it. Amongst many Native American cultures, the earth is viewed as our mother....would you throw trash on your own mother? Keep it clean! Thanks Bill for speaking up!

als362 5 years ago

The way to begin to stem this tide of junk is to get the county commissioners to adopt a trash ordinance just like the city of Craig has. Then you will have some teeth to get something done. Now you can do nothing because there is no such law.

freeman 5 years ago

GO BACK OUT TO PEBBLE BEACH,,,,THE SCUM SUCKING PRICKS THAT THEY KNOW THEY ARE ,,,TORE DOWN THE SIGN THAT SHOWS THE NATIVE FISH IN THE RIVER AND LEFT THEIR SCUM BEER CANS ALL OVER THE BEACH,,,KEEP GOING OUT THERE AND DOING THAT AND EVENTUALLY SOMEONE WILL TAKE THE LAW IN THERE OWN HANDS,,,YOU TRASH SUCKING PRICKS

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years ago

My favorite view in Craig is the Salvage Yard that sits on the bluff east of town. How much oil, trany fluid, gas, brake fluid, grease, etc is being leached into our water system every year from that eye sore? As you come in from the east side of town all you see is a big junk yard with rusting old car bodies oozing crap into the soil and eventually into the river just a mile or so up stream from our water treatment plant. Almost everywhwere else in the country that type of Junk yard is being told to clean it up or get shut down. I would like to see someone address that trash pile. You want to improve people's perception of craig? Get rid of that 80 acre plot of rusting wrecks.

David Moore 5 years ago

I am going to stray from the hospital thread for one time to comment on this. Thank you Mr. Ronis for noticing, I also ride the roads here and am just as amazed at the trash lining them, wondering why someone would just throw it out their window. It IS up to the citizens, I don't see anyone else backing the effort. As far as the comment above by AltitudeAdjustment.....word. At least cover it up or do something to make it less noticeable from the road, it has been the #1 mar on Craig for as long as I can remember and the people who own it have never done anything about the complaints. The leaching damage has been going on for so long it's likely nothing can be done about it anyway. It's all about pride in your community, it is starkly obvious who has that pride and who does not...looking around solidifies that observation.

lonelyone 5 years ago

I seem to remember a few years ago they asked the people out there to do something about it. Put a fence around it and at least keep stuff behind that fence. I think Ike was still alive at that time and they complained that they'd been there for a bazillion years and that it was to costly of a thing to do, so the powers that be at that time said ok your grandfathered in and don't have to do anything or much to help beautify our county. Now, the guy on the western edge who had a bunch of old mobile homes on his property had to move them all out and I think, but am not sure that there might have been a few others who had to clean up or else, but not IKE'S.

David Moore 5 years ago

I think you are right lonelyone, I seem to remember that as well, it was a few years back though. My grandmother would say, and she was full of adages, was "what is good for the goose, is good for the gander". Maybe it is time for the county to take a stance and get the "gander" to do something since they already cooked the "goose"(the mobile home guy, etc...). I work with a lot of people who come here to provide services and that lot is always the first comment they make about Craig when they come for the first time, and that is without asking. As I said above, it all comes down to pride, you either have it or you don't...those who don't stand out like black on white.

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years ago

Thanks Native for voice of support! It not only an eye sore I think there are environmental violations. If the EPA ever got any complaints on this place I am sure it would only take a single soil sample to see that toxins are being leached into the ground and that sight is just a stones throw away from a major western watershed. If his name was Exxon or Shell they would be fining him thousands of dollars a day for what is going onto/into the ground. I don't think anyone can be grandfathered into maintaining an evironmental hazard like this so close to our fresh water supply.

Ray Cartwright 5 years ago

So instead of coming in to town from the east let us change directions and travel from Meeker to Craig on CO13. There are a number of nice and well kept places along my drive but as I come around the curve leaving Hamilton and look to the left there is a Lodge of some sort and not 50 feet from the river is several tons of abandoned autos. Imagine the leaching in the river and ground water that is going on there.

My point is there are eyesores and environmental issues everywhere you look around the country and while you say that it shouldn't take a law to get things cleaned up, sometimes it comes down to the mighty pocketbook and clean up fees to get the landowner to do the right thing.

I do know that were Ike's transmission be inspected by the EPA it would put him in bankruptcy and would put other landowners there also.

lonelyone 5 years ago

Well maybe someone should put a bug into the ear of the EPA?? And I can't disagree that is it a terrible eye sore, but in someways this goes back to the comment of another post about the county trying to control those that live in the county.....out buildings, stuff stored and so on......they don't really want to get into that and MANY county residents don't want them butting in. I'm sure that when Ike started that business it was a good thing. Many people could go get parts from wrecked cars to do some repairs to their own. He was pretty darned proud of his stuff tho and my husband wouldn't buy anything from him unless he had to, because most times you could buy new engine parts cheaper. Now, I'm not defending the looks of the business by any means, but if you all stop and think about it, when that place went into business it was probably something that was much needed?? Somewhat needed? Otherwise when a car was wrecked or just plain gave up the ghost, where would people put them, if not for a place like Ike's?

David Moore 5 years ago

Imagine the metal, plastic, and other materials that could be recycled out of that pile to build new cars.

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years ago

Remember that we all have rights under the constitution and those rights are inalienable until they infringe on the rights of others. A person can do what ever they want with their land unit that individual or organization begins creating a bi-product that contaminates another person's water, air, land, etc. Other junk yards have been required to dismantle vehcilce and store parts in areas that have concrette barriers with curbing that prevents water from washing contaminates into the soil and water. Wrecking yards right here in colorado have been fined and put out of business for willfully violating laws that state how a wrecking yard must be operated. A business is subject to laws. A resturaunt can't serve spoiled food because it makes people sick. Likewise, a wrecking yard can't contaminate the environment because it will make people and animals sick. I think these types of businesses need to get cleaned up or we as a community need to get them put out of business. We all have a responsibility to keep the environment clean. I don't think anyone should be able to hide behind private property rights and get away with having all those chemicals get washed into the river.

freeman 5 years ago

WHEN THEY PUTE OUT THE WATER REPORT FOR ELKHEAD AND SURROUNDING AREAS,THE GAME AND FISH REPORTED HIGH LEVELS OF MERCURY IN THE WATER,,WERE DID THAT COME FROM,,DOES ANYONE KNOW

mustang 5 years ago

Gold mining upsteam by amature gold miners. I looked it up and found that a few ounces of mercury, used to help identify gold in a pan or a slu can polute a very large body of water.

als362 5 years ago

Laws will not make people pick up their trash as valleylocal said. But if the laws are there then something can be done about those that decide to leave trash all around.
If the laws are not there, then it is up to the rest of us to pick up after them, instead of telling them they will pick up after themselves.

freeman 5 years ago

i think it all comes back to the way they were raised,,was never taught that trash goes in a trash can,,,,,and only trash throws trash on the ground

als362 5 years ago

freeman is correct, but many people were appearantly never taught to throw things in the trash, or that it is not necessary to keep numerous junk cars in your yard, or that it is only fair to you neighbors to mow your grass and kill your weeds. Because these people were never taught these simple rules for living in a modern society, that is why we have laws, and that is why Moffat county should have a junk ordinace like the city has. So these dirty places can be cleaned up.

als362 5 years ago

Here is the link to the EPA for those that wish to take action on their own. http://www.epa.gov/