Vehicle registration fees to double July 1

— As a result of Senate Bill 108, vehicle owners will see their car registrations nearly double after July 1.

The increased fees are expected to net $250 million for repairs to roads and bridges throughout the state.

The fees will increase from July 1, 2009, to June 30, 2012. There will be fee increases for cars, trucks, motorcycles and large trucks.

Elaine Sullivan, Moffat County clerk and recorder, said the large increases were uncommon.

"It seems like it's been forever" (since the last large increase), Sullivan said. "The rates will either go up $2 or $3 every few years, or it will go down $2 or $3. Never anything this big."

The fees are based on the weight of a vehicle. According to a news release, the weight of a vehicle can be found on the "CWT" section of a car's registration.

The average car weight is 2,001 to 5,000 pounds, and the fee will increase by $32 for 2009-10, $36.50 in 2010-11 and $41 in 2011-12.

The fee for pickup trucks weighing 2,001 to 10,000 pounds will increase by $39.50 in 2009-10, $45.25 in 2010-11 and $51 in 2011-12.

Trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds will have a fee increase of $51.50 in 2009-10, $58.75 in 2010-11 and $66 in 2011-12.

Motorcycles and light vehicles weighing less than 2,001 pounds will have a fee increase of $22.50 in 2009-10, $25.75 in 2010-11 and $29 in 2011-12.

Sullivan said the increased fees are especially difficult to pay because of increased costs elsewhere.

"It's another hardship on taxpayers," Sullivan said. "It's expensive, especially for someone on a fixed income or retired people. It's a huge amount."

There will be a late registration fee of $25 per month past the 30-day grace period, with a maximum fee of $100.

The clerk's office recommends selling or disposing of vehicles that are infrequently used, no longer used or often left with an expired registration.

"Anyone who has a vehicle that they want to have registered should do it before July 1 to avoid the increase," Sullivan said.

Figuring out how much the rates will increase is difficult, Sullivan said.

"The fees are staggered, so it's hard to tell how much someone's rate will increase from one year to the next," Sullivan said.

Comments

freeman 5 years, 6 months ago

a cdot employee replied one day the reason our roads is falling apart is the mag choride they spray to take the ice off is very bad on the asphalt,,,,it tears the ashalt down and therefor falls completely apart,,,i could be wrong,,,but that came from the mouth of a highway worker ????

taxslave 5 years, 6 months ago

I object, I object, I object. Talk about taxation without representation. For roads and bridges my butt....that's what gas taxes were for.

So, this is how it's going to work...we'll just rip you off from all angles. Way to go. I'm getting rid of the cars.

I watched the governors meeting on cspan. They were told to get the money to pay for the repairs of their roads any way they could. SO.....how about dropping those gas taxes.

This is double taxation....taxes for the same darn things. Wake up people.

btw, congress has a bill to tax all of you on your health benefits from you job. Today new bill, The Give Act....mandatory service to the state....with uniforms no less.

HR845 - criminalizes organic gardening.....it passed in the House. Says no more victory gardens too.....you might grow pot.

So I ask....are we going to send vegetable cops to those who grows gardens?

nativegirl 5 years, 6 months ago

H.R.845 Crow Tribe Water Rights Settlement Act of 2009 (Introduced in House) Tax, can you check your HR number? (This resolution is definitely not concerning gardening.)

nativegirl 5 years, 6 months ago

Tax, I saw on another thread that you listed this resolution as being the correct one on gardening. Apparently it is not either.... H.R. 745 - Pancreatic Cancer Research and Education Act (Introduced in House) [H.R.745.IH] I'm still checking but would really like to know where you got that info.

LOVESNOW 5 years, 6 months ago

I am all in favor of any new tax to repair our roads.

When we have company from out of state they almost always comment on the sorry condition of the roads state-wide. For a wealthy state our roads are an embarassment and quite frankly dangerous.

I once asked a CDOT manager about the situation and was told that under the 8 year republican leadership of former Bill Owens their budgets were slashed. He also said it was going to take a huge increase in road and bridge spending to catch up. That huge increase is not going to come from our good looks.

I for one don't care what a visitor to our state thinks of our roads. They don't live here and have to pay all these stupid tax increases and you know darn well, we'll not see any money for years in Northwest Colorado. Only the east slope will see any real benefits or down south on I-70. How much more are our senior citizens suppose to fork over of their small incomes. Shall we tell them they can no longer buy their meds cuz we want to impress visitors to our state?? Sure the roads are not always fun to be on and yes it would be nice if they were fixed, but at what cost to those who really have no more to give????

native_craig_guy 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought that the Obama stimulus package was giving us millions of dollars specifically ear marked for roads and bridges. Of course Moffat county will see a fraction of that because we are not on any major ski traffic route around Denver. We are paying for roads that will be built for commuters and tourists in the Denver Metro Area. The people making the laws do not care because they have the extra money to pay for increases like this. If this were one increase it would be one thing. But when we are constantly being hit up with increases that will have a marginal (if any) benefit to where we live that is when I am against increases. I will pay extra for a rec center or something that is utilized locally but I do not want to subsidize ski traffic.

taxslave 5 years, 6 months ago

It's the Food Safety Act....I'll check the number and get back to you.

They've also introduced a bill to make soldiers pay for their injuries by private insurance. I doubt that one will pass. It's like they take two steps forward and then to pacify you, they take one step back.

ALSO, no more brass for reloaders....check with your gunshop, they got the notice this week. The notice says all brass has to be mutilated with WITNESSES.

No more .223 until further notice it says.

nativegirl 5 years, 6 months ago

Thanks! I think I'll settle in for a little reading.

GlacierDragon 5 years, 6 months ago

sigh Both of my vehicles are up in September. Normally this is just a bit of a stretch. Now it's going to actually hurt.

I got an email a while back that had a website to go to that listed each state and how much stimulus money they have asked for. Porto Rico has asked for billions more then many other states. Most of what was listed for Colorado actually is planned for Colorado Springs. It is a crock of you know what and I think we need to boot these guys out of office for coming up with the stuff!!

Ray Cartwright 5 years, 6 months ago

taxslave you are absolutly right it is taxation without representation. Not that we didn't elect senators and representators but that since their feet are held to the fire through the Tabor Amendment they can't raise taxes to pay for all of their BS so this is one way to collect extra monies from the people of the state and they don't have to have any election. I wonder how long it will be until the City Fathers and the Commissioners figure out that they could add a fee onto the vehicles too and maybe even come up with a way to FEE your property, water and sewer bill and maybe even they could put in place a fee at the grocery store for TOILET PAPER. That way we could wipe......no I think I might have said enough. Hang on to your A$$ folks politicians might actually be getting smart.

taxslave 5 years, 6 months ago

I really appreciate you folks diggin' in and checking these HR #'s for me. Lots going on.

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 6 months ago

I think that the reason our highways are in such bad condition in this area is because of all the oil field service vehicles that have been driving on them in the last couple years. So to pay to have them repaired my vehicle registration is going to increase? I think they need to tax the tar out of studded tires and increase fines for people who are running them after April 1 or before November 1.