Gene Counts: New president no help

— To the editor:

I don't think changing presidents did us any good. He is not running the show anyway. The people that got us into all this trouble with the banks and housing loans and stock market are still in power and making it even worse.

We need to get them out of there. I would like to see term limits of four years, six at the most, put on all senators, congressmen, and maybe governors.

Also on federal judges. This should be brought to a vote by American citizens.

I hope there is some way to get this on a ballot, so we could vote on it. Some of them have been in there as long as I can remember and that has been quite a while. Some of them belong in a rest home or some probably belong in jail.

As for the war, it was probably a good thing fighting the terrorists over there rather than over here.

As for Guantanamo Bay, those prisoners are treated better than a lot of American citizens. It should be a military decision. After all, these people want to kill us. My brother-in-law's brother was tortured, and he starved to death in a Japanese prison. So were a lot of other good Americans.

We all have loved ones who fought and died for our country. It would be a sad thing to see our country go into socialism or communism.

We owe it all to our fighting men. We have the best there is. I would suggest when you see a young man in one of our military uniforms, go up and shake his hand and let him know we appreciate him. They deserve the very best.

It's all about the power to control your life and everything we like to enjoy. I've even heard on the mainstream media that the government wants to control the meals we eat at the fast food places and in our schools.

We are Americans and love our kids, and grandkids and great-grandkids. We don't want them to have to pay for all our stupid mistakes.

Thank You.

Gene Counts

Craig

Comments

DV8 5 years, 8 months ago

Manufacturing definately needs to be brought back to America. I don't know why so many American companies have factories in China. It makes sense that if things are made in the US, people in the US have jobs and therefore money to spend in the US, which give money to US companies to make more things in the US, etc...

I didn't know Hawaii was in Kenya.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

DV8 said "I don't know why so many American companies have factories in China." MONEY. Wages in China are so low and they don't have to deal with unions or benefits. It's all about money.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

You hit the nail on the head Patrick. It makes my blood boil when I see all this going on. Most of the money AIG gave to banks went to banks that were not even in this country. And Obama wants more and more to hand out in "stimulus packages". What the heck is he stimulating? I read that with all the money spent on these packages---every household in the U.S. could have been given over $80,000. Now, THAT'S a stimulus package.

taxslave 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey....does anyone know where all that stimulus money is? I mean, we're talking trillions of dollars. Where is it do you suppose? Don't be distracted by small potatos like AIG.

When Bernake was asked by congress where the money went he said he wouldn't tell them. See it on cspan. He was asked by Sen. Bernie Sanders.

I think AIG defaulted on the 15th.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry Valleylocal--It took more than 6 years to get in this mess. It started with Carter wanting to get people into houses whether they could afford the payments or not.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Mr. Counts. This new so called president is doing nothing but running the country deeper in debt. The government being in charge of the banking system, which is the way it looks like things are going, is just plain old communism. What the country should be focusing its time on is getting the manufacturing base back to the United States. This is the only way that this counrtry will be able to pull itself out of the mess it is in. Giving billions of dollars to failed and failing businesses is not going to fix anything, only make us deeper in debt to our enemies.
I say so called president because I will never call him the president because according to the constitution he has no business being in that office. The President is required to be a naturally born citizen of the United States. This Osama/Obama person was born in Kenya. This alone disquallifies him.
I say throw him not just out of office, but out of this country!

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

Patrick--Buy garden seeds. Read back of package. Plant and water. You may need it before this mess is all over. My folks had a 3 acre garden. My Mom never went into winter with under 500 quarts of canned vegetables. We were raised on a ranch, but used the livestock sales and wheat sales to pay the mortgage. Had chickens, pigs, deer, deer, deer, deer, and more deer. It may come back to that but, Lord, I sure hope not.

taxslave 5 years, 8 months ago

HR 1388, the Give Act

MANDATORY VOLUNTEERISM....18-55 yrs.

Hitler did this too. Wake up people.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

This stimulis money is really a big problem. With the country nearly bankrupt, and no gold standard to back up our currency, the treasury is just printing more and more currency. What this does is devalue the dollar. If they continue to print more and more, the dollar will continue to decline. Throwing good money after bad on businesses that are run by people that are unable to properly run a business will not restore our economy. I say let these companies fail, and let a company take them over that has survived and know what they are doing.

valleylocal 5 years, 8 months ago

Obama is OUR President because WE THE PEOPLE voted. He was born AMERICAN with international decent, and if i'm incorrect on this, please let me know, but aren't the majority of us in this country from decents of other nationalities and races? I know my forefathers settled in PA in 1514, yes 1514, as a fact I did my geneology! Also, former President Bush and the Congress, during his run, is the reason we're in this mess to begin with and no matter which Presidental candidate won, they would be in the same shoes as Obama and doing what he can to fix it. Give it time; it took 6 years to get into this so it won't be fixed overnight.

valleylocal 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks grannyrett for the additional information but I was referring to the sub-prime mortgages, but if this all started back while former President Carter was in office, then the non-Obama believers must think he's Superman! My point was that no matter who is in office, its going to take time and patients to correct. I also believe the economy currently is about where it was in the mid to late eighties and the fruitful economy we've had the past 15 years or so wasn't going to last. Only common sense tells us that.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

Hello valleygal. Osama/Obama is causing this country to go deeper in debt than it has ever been in before. Printing billions of dollars, with nothing to back them up is a very bad move for any country that is already in trouble.
And you and other people may have voted for this idiot but I did not and I will never consider this person as the president. There is tons of evidence, and as far as I am concerned proof that he is NOT a naturally born citizen of the United States and that makes it against the constituion for him to be president. The man is out to destroy this country and he will get it done if we don't stop him by protesting his actions which so far have all been wrong for the economy and the country. And this stimulis plan which is basically the government buying banks is pure old fashioned communism.
Everytime the government is in charge of the banks and the guns that country has gone in the toilet. If that is what you want for this country, keep on supporting this jerk you call a president, and you will get there.

T30066J 5 years, 8 months ago

An idea of how to fix the economy - it's worth pondering a little -

It's a very simple concept called "Patriotic Retirement" and it goes like this:

There's about 40 million people over the age of 50 in the work force; pay them $1 million apiece severance with stipulations:

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They buy NEW AMERICAN cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

Who knows - it might work!

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 8 months ago

Sooooooo I could be wrong because I went to school in another state, but if I multiplied 40,000,000 by 1,000,000 I come up with a number that is in the neighborhood of 40 trillion dollars which is ten times our nations GDP. So if we put it in to numbers we can actually comprehend that would be like taking ten times your annual sallary and giving it to your kids. If you made 100,000 a year you would take out a loan for 1,000,000 and give 250,000 to each of your four kids. You would require nothing of them, but to go out and spend it. You would then pay out 60,000 in interest each year (assuming 6%) and still try to keep the lights on. So if you already had a mortgage, car payments, utilities, etc. you would be hard pressed to even service the interest on the debt let alone pay any of the principal down. Math doesn't seem to work out on this one. Keep coming up with the ideas though.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

Altitude--That's what it sounds like to me. Crazy? That doesn't even begin to cover it.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

I believe that it might be time to triple or quadruple all the tariffs on all imported goods. Place these tariffs so high that it is not financially feasable for these goods to be imported. Perhaps that would tell the companies that it is time to bring these jobs back to the United States where they were to begin with. If the jobs come back, the economy will then fix itself.