Sheila Mercado: Reform health care

I recently sent a letter to the president, and it was posted on the White House Web site concerning the need for health care. The president asked for personal stories from real people in America.

He has the right idea.

It is time for our elected representatives in Washington, D.C., to think about the people they represent.

People are hurting, sick and dying while those we sent to Washington are wringing their hands, whining about needing more time and complaining about being rushed into this. Health care for all Americans has been an issue for years. Our president made it clear from the beginning of his campaign that it was a major issue for him. Congress needs to stop stalling and get it done.

Sheila Mercado

Craig

Comments

Ryan_Neece 5 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't agree more with you on this. Universal health care has been a long awaited, and a long needed change for America. Sure there may be problems with it, but as with everything in our universe, nothing is perfect. Only by moving forward can our chosen representatives serve their constituents.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

So you are o.k. with the idea of waiting months for critical tests and procedures. Heart, cancer, etc. What are you going to do when you get turned down for something important? This isn't moving forward and not long awaited for.

I am not an astromoner or an astro-physicist, but I have seen photos of parts of the universe. It is perfect and can be counted upon. Beauty and order.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

What if each and every member of congress signs an affidavit that they have read and understand all 1,000+ pages of the bill?

Have you seen pictures of good hospitals in foreign countries? Our facilities and equipment are way better. The lines are much shorter, too.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

For the record: My post was agreeing with als362, not Ms. Mercado.

als362 5 years, 4 months ago

What if each member of congress and the president sign and affidavit that they will use the same exact health care program that they expect the rest of us to use. There are some affidavits that I would like to read.

s_a_mercado 5 years, 4 months ago

No, I don't mind waiting for tests and the opportunity to see a doctor. What I object to is not being able to see one at all! I have a problem with co-payments that are so high I can't even afford to see a doctor. And if I can scrape enough together for the doctor's co-payment, there is no money left for tests or treatments. Which really defeats the purpose in going to the doctor in the first place! So for me, and many others in my situation, waiting and knowing that eventually we can see a doctor is far better than living with the fact that we'll never see a doctor until it's too late.

als362 5 years, 4 months ago

Like I said when all the legislators and the president have the same health care as the rest of the country, I will be ready to accept it.

I have someone near and dear to me who lives in Canada and there are problems with their health care, but good heavens what about ours. You sound like ours is prefect and it is far from it. For every horror story you hear about Canada's system, there are just as many or more concerning ours. And yes you may have to wait to get your tonsils out, but I've never once heard about anyone with cancer having to wait for tests. I've never heard about anyone with something serious having to wait. Again it's not perfect, but neither is ours. I know someone who is like s_a_ and after they pay to see the dr and get jerked around for a blood test, they've paid over three hundred for the blood test that costs me about 75.00 because I have insurance..........it's not right.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

We are the safety net for Canadians.

When you are denied a procedure due to your age, there will be no safety net for you. No cardiac bypass, just end of life counseling. It's in the bill.

A 1,017 page bill that your Senators will not have even read.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

Remember: In order to turn your neighbor in to the Obama administration, if you see anything "fishy"..... the email address is: flag@whitehouse.gov

John Kinkaid 5 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Obama speaking on socialized medicine in 2003. Single payer is government run health care. Oooops! Someone was recording his presentation.

If you look at the House bill, end of life counseling is mandatory every five years for seniors. You can't make this stuff up. Speak up.