Craig briefs: Program to address feral cat population

The Humane Society of Moffat County plans to host its first meeting on its Trap, Neuter, Release Program at 6 p.m. July 30 at the Golden Cavvy Restaurant, 538 Yampa Ave.

The program is an attempt to address problems with the local feral cat population.

All residents are welcome to attend. For more information, call 824-5438.

Forest Service hosts snowmobile access trip

The U.S. Forest Service wants local opinions about where to construct snowmobile parking lots and routes in the Columbine Area of Routt County.

The agency plans to host a public meeting and field trip starting at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at North Routt Fire Station No. 2, which is north of Steamboat Lake National Park, at 61915 Routt County Road 129, otherwise known as Elk River Road.

The Forest Service also is taking public comments on three proposed alternatives through Aug. 25. Comments can be submitted online at www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/projects/rec.

Each of the proposed alternatives also can be viewed on that Web site.

Officials want to expand snowmobile parking and route access to build a trail system between Steamboat Lake and Routt National Forest and keep parking away from residential areas.

Comments

probably not much, but now anyone who has a cat turn up with pink paint on it, will know who shot it!! ;o)

Ray Cartwright 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we need our local Judge to order all the stray cats destroyed too.

Denise Bagley 4 years, 9 months ago

It's about time they addressed this problem. There are so many cats running around our streets, that it's a constant nuisance. A lot of these so-called "stray" cat are actually are not strays, but have irresponsible owners. I've had cat owners tell me that cats need to roam to be happy and that it's cruel to keep your cats indoors. I live in the city and am the owner of four indoor cats that were all rescued from the shelter or from people wanting to get rid of them. My cats are well-cared for, visit the vet for regular check-ups, and have supervised outside time. My cats are also very happy. I'm tired of finding what these stray cats leave behind in my yard. Cat owners--Be responsible. You cannot let your cats just run wild. It's not only irresponsible but against city code.

als362 4 years, 9 months ago

YES dentedfender, you are exactly correct. This type of action is WAY overdue. Feral cats are mean, dirty, spend all their time making more feral cats, and have the capacity to spead all forms of infectious deseases with just a scratch. As far as I am concerned feral cats are target practice, nothing more. If you want to keep your cat, keep it on your own property. If you can't keep it on your own property then you have no right to own that animal. If you don't like my opinion, I DON"T CARE!!!

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

In my own opinion , the Humane Society of Moffat County might better serve the people of Moffat County by hosting a trap, neutralize and cut for cat fish bate All the cats in Moffat County.

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

A well placed paintball traveling at 300fps is quite effective, "neon pink no wipe" is my color of choice, stays with them for awhile. They really scout out my yard now and will scatter at the first crack of the door, which is right where I want them.

als362 4 years, 9 months ago

I like GreyStone's idea quite well, not only does it save money that the Humane Society says it never has, but the solution is immediate. As for DavidMoore's comment , a well placed .177 pellet at 1500 FPS does a much better job. I doesn't wipe off either. Cheaper too.

melonie barrett 4 years, 9 months ago

david,,bad idea if you work for the hospital ,,dont you think,,,maybe not

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

Shooting a cat with a paintball, "neon pink no wipe" seems to me to be a great idea.

What is wrong with that? Might be better for the cat than a 30 -30, 22 or something like that.

Although I still prefer neutralizing then making cat fish bate.

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

What does working at the hospital have to do with shooting a feral cat with a paintball?

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

Not to worried about hordes of Craig citizens reading this forum to find out information on who is making the neighborhood cat toilet less pleasant to use, besides, at least the cats are able to show up back home, if they have one at all. Given some of the other methods mentioned above, I thought mine was rather humane.

als362 4 years, 8 months ago

My interest is not in being humane, mainly because the owners of these cats that allow their animals to roam wher ever, and when ever they want, proves to me that they do not care about what happens to those animals. DO NOT tell me that you care about your pet when you allow it to be put into the position that places it in harms way. If you prove to me that you don't care about your pet, rest assured I will follow your lead.

David Moore 4 years, 8 months ago

als362 said: "My interest is not in being humane"
Typical Craig type statement. For those interested, it is July 2009 in the real world, I'm not sure what it is where you all are. I'm not going to waste the energy trying to prove anything to you, it wouldn't make any difference anyway. For the record, my pet, and those preceding it, have ALL been indoor pets. It all boils down to you having your method and me having mine, I'll gladly stick to mine.

als362 4 years, 8 months ago

Go right ahead and let those that don't care for their animals step on you. I WILL NOT!!! Make no mistake, I WILL defend what I have built and paid for, and WILL NOT allow someone else to crap on it. If you want to get crapped on that is your decision.

David Moore 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm NOT getting crapped on, thanks to the paintballs.