Alphi Bennett: Use truck route

— To the editor:

I always thought the reason Craig has a truck route was so the 18-wheelers and heavy duty trucks would use it and stay off the city streets.

Daily, local trucks are seen traveling on Yampa Avenue, Fourth Street and Victory Way. Many times a day, at the intersection of Yampa and Victory, it is common to see vehicles scooting over or backing up because one of these huge trucks are turning the corner and taking up two to three lanes.

Not only are these trucks noisy, kick up dirt and are a hazard to other traffic, but also the wear and tear of our streets is at stake. All of the downtown buildings are old, and the heavy traffic vibrations affect their foundations, too. That can be no good.

I for one would really like to see these trucking companies utilize the truck route instead of our downtown streets. Anyone who has had to back up to make room for a turning truck agrees with me, I'm sure.

It's even marked, and there would be less traffic for you and only one stoplight. In case you can't see the signs, and I agree the signs do need to be bigger, the route is First Street to Colorado Highway 13 or vise versa. There probably isn't a law that says you have to use it, but there should be.

Alphi Bennett

Comments

Ray Cartwright 4 years, 9 months ago

I would like to see it enforced also. All you have to do is look at the streets at any of the stop lights downtown to see the effects that the heavy truck traffic is doing to the streets. In defense of the trucks I think it would be a good idea to continue the bypass around the city to the east of the present route. There could also be a concern with the collage and new hospital out in it's new location that the traffic out there could present a problem too.

greeneyedgurl 4 years, 9 months ago

Seriously?? How do you think the stores in this town are going to get their supplies if all the trucks stay off the streets??? Are you going to wheel your wheelbarrow out to the by pass and haul the groceries for city market in, or safeway...the food trucks for all the restaurants?? I will personally offer to haul the beer in from the beer truck but the rest is all up to you two since you don't understand why the trucks have to come through town.

I've wondered for years why nothing is done to enforce the use of the truck route. One of our local trucking companies is one of the biggest offenders of using the downtown streets and I think he should know better. His shop isn't that far from 1st street and he should be using it and the truck route instead of tearing up our downtown streets.......and I really don't care if it's out of the way for him and his drivers!!

greeneyedgurl, we all know the delivery trucks are allowed down through town and I don't think that's what Mrs. Bennetts' complaint is about. I would guess that she is complaining about those trucks that are hauling sheep, coal, rocks and so on.........those are the ones I'm concerned about anyway. But I'll help with the hauling of the beer too and some of the other fine refreshment trucks and then when we're done we can sit in the shade of a big ol' tree somewhere and have a cold one!!

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

The traffic around the new hospital is going to increase from this point on as the transition approaches, I suspect the southern entrance is going to be particularly busy.

The corner at Victory and Yampa has been a problem for decades, the reason the trucks do not avoid the turn is because there is no leg of the bypass that accommodates eastbound 40 to northbound 13 travel. They won't go all the way around unless the city prohibits right turns for trucks at that corner....and then enforces it. I am guessing they don't do either because of the incomplete bypass leaving the truckers, who have a schedule, to turn at the corner and make everyone back up...which can be very sketchy if the street is fully loaded with traffic.

The solution is to complete the bypass.

DriverEd 4 years, 9 months ago

"Anyone who has had to back up to make room for a turning truck agrees with me, I'm sure. Come on truckers. If nothing more than common courtesy to your fellow man, please utilize the truck route."

If you are backing up for trucks turning, it's because you are not leaving an "offset" or staying back about 10 feet from the stop line. Courtesy works both ways.

So if you are the lead car at a light stay well behind the stop line and you won't have to back up. If you are the second car at a red light - stay ten back from the first car.

If everyone leaves space or an "offset" there is plenty of room for all vehicles.

dogfan 4 years, 9 months ago

The sign on the east side of town only says that hazmat trucks need to use the bypass.

xrsareus 4 years, 9 months ago

DavidMoore,

If your eastbound on 40 and you want to go to North on 13, don't you just turn left at Murdochs and take the by-pass to the city shop? Or am I lost again? By the way I agree, the local trucker that hauls coal to Wyo. should be using the by-pass. I don't back up. Maybe if nobody backed up someone in charge would make a needed change when traffic comes to a stop or the truck has to wait until lanes are clear.

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

xrareus, No not lost, just taking the long way around.

X, I think your lost, but maybe I am. If you want to go north on 13 and you turn left at Murdochs.......oh never mind, now I'm lost!! DriversEd, I disagree with you. If your heading south on Yampa and your at the stop light on Yampa and Victory Way and a trucker wants to turn left onto Yampa, your going to be in his way even tho your in the lane you need to be in because many of them make such a wide turn that even if you stayed back 10 there's gonna be a problem. And one of the problems I've seen with trucks....semi's in town, is that some of them are starting to go down 6th street for what ever reason. And no greeneyed, it's not been delivery trucks!! ;o)
And I'm sorry, I don't see how using the bypass and avoiding the lights and traffic is going to keep someone who is going north from meeting a deadline. I live on the west side of town and the hospital and collage will have an impact on 9th St. and the road leading up from Mini Mart. It is my hope that something will be done to help with the flow of traffic on that part of the road.

xrsareus 4 years, 9 months ago

OK, I'm still confused, If you are East bound on 40 and you want to turn North on 13, If you are East of Craig you missed North 13 anyway. If you are West of Craig heading East and you want to go North 13 you turn at Murdoch's right? (no left) The only direction there is not a way onto the by-pass is West bound coming into East Craig, Right? Well there is but the truckers don't turn at 1st street by the old drive in and go around to Victory Motors to get on the truck by-pass to go North on 13. Am I still lost?

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

OK, I got my directions mixed up...sorry, it's been a very long, exhausting week.

The only leg of the "Loop" that is incomplete is for WESTBOUND traffic wanting to go north. All other directions of travel are covered. Looking at satellite imagry of the area, an east leg of the loop is very doable if the landowners will release some of their land...they did it out north, why not here?

xrsareus 4 years, 9 months ago

I thought I wasn't lost !!! Dave I agree with you but, until something is done I wish they would make trucks headed west thru Craig to use 1st street unless,,,, they are making local deliverys. It would solve a lot of congestion at Victory Way and Yampa and 4th and Yampa. have a good day and a less exhausting next week....

David Moore 4 years, 9 months ago

It will take a serious injury (or worse) at that intersection before something is done, maybe. I can also see a problem if a truck is sitting there waiting for everyone to back up...and fire/rescue comes wailing down the street, needing to go north. Has an east to north bypass segment ever been considered or discussed...other than here? Just wondering. You have a good day yourself Xrsareus.