The current proposal for the state's budget balancing plan includes a 50 percent reduction for the Colorado Council on the Arts.
Such a cut would seriously impact the agency's ability to continue to provide grants and services for artists, community organizations, schools, creative businesses and government agencies at its current level.
The agency has scheduled a Listening Tour from Jan. 30 through Feb. 10 to gather public feedback regarding the "critical areas in which state investment is essential to support our state's creative economy," the Council on Arts reported in a news release.
"Public feedback is vital as the agency determines its future budget priorities," the council stated in the news release.
Because of the budget uncertainty, the council has decided to postpone its March 12 grant deadline for the 2009-10 Grants to Artists and Organizations, and Success through Art, StART Schools, grants.
Artists, community groups, creative businesses, educators and municipal leaders are encouraged to attend a Listening Tour session and to invite their colleagues, the council stated in the news release.
The Listening Tour schedule is listed below and posted on the Council's Web site at www.coloarts.org. Additional sessions may be added. If you have questions about the tour, e-mail email@example.com.
The Council also has posted an online survey on the Web site.
"This will only take a few minutes and will provide important input regarding the role of state funding for arts activities and creative enterprises in communities around the state," the council reported.
The Listening Tour will travel to several cities:
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday, City of Fort Collins Community Room, 215 N. Mason Street, Ft. Collins
• 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Old Town Museum, 420 S 14th St., Burlington
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Sangre de Cristo Arts & Conference Center, Third Floor, Helen T. White Gallery Bldg., 210 N. Santa Fe Ave., Pueblo
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Blair-Caldwell African American Research Library, 2401 Welton St., Denver
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7, Serendipity Coffee Shop, 576 Yampa Ave., Craig
• 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7, Depot Arts Center, 1001 13th St., Steamboat Springs
• 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8, Glenwood Springs Center for the Arts, 601 E. Sixth St., Glenwood Springs
• 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 9, Montrose School District, Board Room, 126 S. Fifth Street, Montrose