Family treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Fire department: Protect your family with alarms

Advertisement

At a glance

• Craig family treated at TMH for carbon monoxide poisoning

• Fire department reports cause as malfunctioning furnace

• Firefighter: Important for residences to have smoke detectors, CO alarms

• Equipment can be purchased at most chain retail stores, Craig Fire and Safety

A Craig family was transported Friday morning to The Memorial Hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty furnace, Craig Fire/Rescue reported.

The family, a mother and her two 8-year-old girls, were treated for non-life-threatening sickness, Lt. Steve Lingo said. They were released the same day.

Firefighters responded to the family's home on Park Court near Ridgeview about 9:15 a.m. Friday. The mother suspected carbon monoxide to be the cause behind headaches the family had been having and symptoms of illness by the family dog, Lingo said.

"They were all feeling ill for the last couple of days," the lieutenant said.

The department determined the family's furnace was the cause of the leak.

"It was low levels of carbon monoxide, but over time, it will have an effect on you," Lingo said.

The fire department used the Friday call as framework for a larger point. That is, the department's desire for all area residents to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

The department's fear is that incidents that have happened recently in Colorado in which people have died from carbon monoxide leaks will happen in Craig.

"It can be very, very serious," Lingo said. "The one we had today wasn't, but it could have been."

He said people without smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms should get them, and those who have the equipment should ensure it is working properly and maintained.

Average smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms can be purchased at most chain retail stores, and higher end models can be found at Craig Fire and Safety, 463 Ranney St.

Craig Fire and Safety owner Byron Willems said his business offers carbon monoxide alarms for about $70, and smoke detectors for $11.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.