Two deer stand in a Craig resident's yard last winter looking for grass to eat. The Craig Deer Committee recently met with Colorado Division of Wildlife officials and discussed what the agency could do to reduce or eliminate the deer population inside city limits.

File photo

City, DOW discuss controlling Craig's deer population

Some see the deer in Craig as a blessing of rural, Western living; others see them as pests, Mayor Don Jones said.

No one disagrees that Craig has its share of deer, but what to do about them remains a sticking point for city representatives and the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

The Craig Deer Committee, a citizen group unaffiliated with local government, formed in about February 2007 after the City Council received a petition from residents asking it to somehow control the deer population. Jones is a member of the committee, along with interested residents and a DOW officer.

The committee has conducted three counts inside city limits, and believes there are about 300 deer living in Craig.

If some or all of the deer have to go, which is the Craig Deer Committee's position, then the question becomes whether the animals should be kept alive and moved or whether they should be killed.

The Deer Committee and DOW officials most recently met Dec. 18 to hash out the various options.

Jones said his preferred plan is to trap deer in town and release them elsewhere.

Bill de Vergie, DOW area wildlife manager, said his office is talking with DOW Director Tom Remington and the agency's state veterinarian about legal requirements for relocating an animal population and what disease testing is required.

Spreading Chronic Wasting Disease is a chief concern, de Vergie said. However, Jones, doesn't understand why that would prevent the agency from taking deer out of Craig.

"Chronic Wasting Disease is throughout Moffat County, anyway, and Routt County and Rio Blanco County," the mayor said. "It's nothing new."

Other options include trapping the deer in town and killing them or hiring White Buffalo to come in and remove the deer. White Buffalo is a private company that can trap and relocate deer, use fertility control methods to limit the population or kill deer in town.

Neither the mayor nor de Vergie see extermination as a viable option.

"That doesn't seem to be palatable to the community," de Vergie said. "One neighbor might want deer gone, (but) another neighbor wants them. One neighbor might want nothing to do with them, (and) one neighbor is feeding them with bird feed."

Jones said shooting the deer would be a waste of meat, but options may be limited.

"On the one hand, if the DOW won't let us trap and relocate them, what can we do?" he said. "But then again, if we have to trap and kill them, who will pay for the processing?"

Either way, it's not likely the deer naturally will migrate away, Jones said.

"Most of these deer were born and raised here," he said. "They're city deer. Will they migrate? Maybe from the west side of town to the east side."

Jones added he doesn't want every deer in town gone. If officials could cut the population in half, then it wouldn't be near as big an issue.

Safety is his biggest concern, not his landscaping. With 300 deer in town, and about half of them females having babies every year, it won't be too long before the town is inundated.

When that happens, there could be traffic accidents and safety problems across Craig, Jones said.

Division officials should have an answer about the relocating plan within a few weeks, de Vergie said.

He added one way to curb the deer population in the meantime is to enforce existing laws that prohibit residents from feeding animals except out of bird feeders.

"We are working on it," de Vergie said. "Are we going to get a real quick solution in the next few days? No."

Comments

JDR4 5 years, 8 months ago

Please, don't do a thing. I understand upset homeowners when their "shrubbery" has been ripped up and stolen from their hard working hands. I have had that happen to, although in an entirely different situation....

Anyway, leave them be. Its not like there are deer being hit on the highway, or charging people or doing anything besides just being Craig's native deer. Who keep a lot of people in this town happy and content to live in the beautiful Colorado Mountains and see wildlife up close everyday.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

I am really torn on this issue. First off, the deer were here first. Secondly, many people feed the deer, which will make them stay in a given area. Third, its cold, food is scarce, and they have to eat to survive. I agree, they do cause some harm to trees and shrubs. But I have completely stopped the deer from damaging my trees with some welded wire fence and a little rope, a minimal investment to protect my trees. I leave it up all year round and it is not hard to mow around in the summer. I bet there are a lot of people that when they first moved here thought seeing deer in their yard was a great thing, I know I did and still do. I think the first thing to address is the people that feed them. When the food supply runs out, the deer will leave. Or perhaps a local fund could be started to gather monies to help feed the animals, a short distance outside of town. I would donate to such a fund, as long as that is what is was used for. But then I could be all wrong in my thoughts, like I said, I am really torn on this.

Isis 5 years, 8 months ago

I am torn on this topic as well. I admit that I am always happy to look out my window and see a deer's face looking back. It makes me count my lucky stars for the gift of living in this beautiful place. I do see two problems however. My neighbors feed these critters. This is why I often see them so close. My bigger concern is public safety. Just last year I was challenged by a doe. I was out walking my daughter's dog. The dog was on a leash. The doe seemed to come out of nowhere with her head down. I stopped and commanded the dog to sit. The deer stopped. Each time we began to walk away, the deer came after us. This sequence happened over three times before I made a decision to run for it. I was curious as to why this happened. The next day I discovered the answer, a doe and her young fawn walking down the sidewalk. My guess is that it was the same doe and she was simply protecting her young. My concern is for children and our older residents. I am fortunate that I am still able to make a run for it. Would a senior be able to do this? Should they be forced to make this decision to protect themselves? Would a young child in their backyard know how to handle this? This is only going to be "cute" until someone is hurt. How will the City and DOW answer the call to protect the citizens of Craig while balancing the gift of wildlife?

vic 5 years, 8 months ago

I live downtown and see the deer on a daily basis - I don't see a problem. This all started with some woman whining about them eating her landscaping. I tend to plant things that are "deer resistant". I will occasionally find a flower deheaded or smashed, but this is not so upsetting that I would want the deer gone. As for traffic accidents - if people would go the speed limit on these side streets, they would have ample time to stop for a deer crossing. I see no other safety issues. These "town deer" are docile creatures - I feel they are a part of Craig. As was mentioned in the article, many of these deer have been born in Craig and have lived here their entire lives...to relocate them to the wild would be devastating to them - killing them would be tragic and inhumane. I do not feed the deer, but I do not have a problem with the people who do. We live in the Rockies - wildlife is to be expected. I say if you do not want to live with the wildlife, then move to the big city. At the very most, I would try feeding them some sort of contraceptive to keep the population from growing...other than that, I say leave them alone, keep in mind where you live and enjoy.

trout2k 5 years, 8 months ago

Jab an arrow in the tomato stealing rascals and eat their livers...why do we humans have to make things so difficult? We have plenty of bow hunters in town who would safely and humanely reduce our deer population to more manageable numbers. I've heard this model has been used in the east and has been quite effective in cities much larger and more populated than ours.

vic 5 years, 8 months ago

Isis - I have never been challenged by one of these deer. I also have a dog - an annoying little beast that barks at everything...except the deer, for some strange reason. I do agree with you that it could be hazardous to a human if one of these wild animals felt threatened or was accidentally cornered. They ARE wild animals and should be respected as such. I have to say though, I feel more threatened by the Pit Bull up the street than I do the deer lying in the yard or strolling up the alley. I have encountered a doe with fawn on several occasions. I simply back away, calmly and quietly to show that I am not a threat. Me and my leashed dog have been chased more by loose dogs than by roaming deer. Children being raised in the mountains should be taught to respect the wildlife. The seniors I know have lived here most, if not all of their lives and know the rules of confrontation. I think having deer roam so comfortably around our town says something about the serene quality of life here. It would be a sad day to see them removed.

trout2k 5 years, 8 months ago

I respectfully withdraw on my former solution. I think the city should buy leashes and collars and distribute the items to all people in town who are having deer problems. We then teach the deer to "sit" on command and that humans are their friends. A tame deer is a respectful deer. If this does not work, then we shoot them with bows and arrows. This is a hunting community. Let's deal with this problem in a way that is culturally appropriate. It is ok to hunt them and kill them as long as we eat them and go about it in a safe, ethical manner. Let's not hide behind the guise of social propriety for the sake of political correctness. We are a hunting community and we are proud of it. Let's not cower about this. The solution is simple. Things don't have to be so black and white. If there are too few deer and the population is struggling, let's help the deer out....If the are too many, let's eat them. Sound conservation and management of our valued resource and kindred being can only benefit our community.

kerrya 5 years, 8 months ago

I am also torn on this. I like to look outside and see the deer in my yard, but it does bother me that they don't seem to be afraid of humans? Like Vic, I have a dog that bark at anything/anyone that enters the yard or driveway that doesn't belong but for some strange reason has never barked at the deer. He is quite happy to share his shady apple tree with the deer! He doesn't eat the apples and they usually end up on the ground (as do the berries from the other bushes) so why not share with the local deer? And really, where else can you find shed horns in your alley? That's why we love Craig and live here right?

GlacierDragon 5 years, 8 months ago

Why do the deer have to be relocated and sterlized? Why not just sterilized and leave them here? Control the population that way. I like the deer and they fascinate my cats. Sure they decimated my pansies, but I forgot to water what they didn't eat and the end result was the same.

jmemcse 5 years, 8 months ago

I am not torn on this issue - I want 'em out of here. My reasons are my own, valid to me, and I'm entitled to my opion.

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

First I think if jmemcse wants to live somewhere that there are no deer. Then I think moving is that person is best option. Maybe to downtown Chicago. I doubt you will see any deer there. But this is NW Colorado, a rural community. Things like this are to be expected. Deal with it. As for trout2k, you are nuts! I don't want anyone hunting within the city limits, or in any residential area. You may not know this but arrows can ricochet just like bullets can. Also, the best and safest hunter in the world can miss what they aim at. Wake up!

meandthebean 5 years, 8 months ago

Listen, the deer are mildly annoying. What can you do? I have a better idea, let's build a fence around the community....sounds dumb doesn't it? Well, that's because it is....if you don't like the deer, fence them out, that's the law as far as cattle and sheep are concerned. Listen, the simple fact of the matter is, manifest destiny is an old tired concept folks, and if you don't like coexisting with nature, move. Otherwise, you have the best of both worlds.....get over it.

This story just kills me!! We've written nasty grams to or about others who come here and kill our wildlife and how it hurts the community and makes us look bad if we do nothing and it makes us look bad if we prosecute them. NOW we're talking again about getting rid of a few deer in town because someone doesn't like them in their yard?? It is a bit worrisome to see them near the schools when it is close to time for the kids to get out of school, but if we start removing them or killing them......the deer not the kids.......what kind of message does that send to those who want to come here to hunt? I think it would make us as a community look bad. I guess this is one of those issues that has no quick and easy answer

cantstandtexans 5 years, 8 months ago

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Simply and completely unbelieveable that a few people who will not take the time to educate themselves on plants that deer don't like or plant scrubs/bushes/whatever that deer do not prefer. Or how about this. JUST LEAVE THEM BE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! Shish! Turning someone loose in town with bow and arrow. Well...If I see someone stalking around with such a weapon...maybe I'll get out mine and stalk back!! it's a ridiculous notion that there a just a few people in town ranting and screaming when most want the deer left alone.

UNBELEAVEABLE is an understatement that so much attention is given to an issue that isn't an issue. LEARN WHAT TO GROW!!! IT AIN'T HARD!! I call it being lazy and hardheaded. Give it a rest!

GreyStone 5 years, 8 months ago

What will the black bear living at Loudy Simpson eat if we move the deer out of town? There are several mountain lions that might move to town for the fat Craig deer. My hunting dogs have picked up lion and bear track South of Craig, along the river and North from Black Mountain back toward town. This bear or one of these cats will eventually make a kill in town: then listen to the whining.

trout2k 5 years, 8 months ago

I think the only real solution is to leave the deer alone. That way I can use small children to bait in the starving mountain lions when they run out of deer to feed on. Maybe then someone will let me hunt in the city limits. I would say I only miss about 5% of the time, so there is only a 5% chance my arrow may glance off the mountain lion and harm someone. Reasonable odds, considering the severity of the issue of deer being within the confines of our deer-hating and loving community.
For me, this issue is not even really an issue....it's a hopeless act of boredom in a town where winter is 6 months long, where many of its residents choose not to partake in the vast opportunities, and where politicians with little else to do--must have some "issues" to be working on. Let's just be thankful our town is so quiet that we have to make things up to get worked up about. All praise to the almighty deer god for giving us this issue so we can all get worked up and forget about how mundane and insignificant our existence has truly is. Cheers!

als362 5 years, 8 months ago

Trout2k needs to see a shrink. He couldn't have lost his mind, because he doesn't have one!

maverick 5 years, 8 months ago

I have it! Let's plow the deer into the middle of the road and remove them. Then plow the snow into the driveways so people can't get in or out to disturb the deer!

trout2k 5 years, 8 months ago

I respectfully withdraw my prior comments. I think Maverick has the right idea. As for my mind, als362....it would be difficult for any effective approach or remedy from a pychotherapeutic perspective since my mind since I've lost it...thanks for pointing that out by the way...I would have never realized it had left if you had not pointed that out. Have you ever lost your mind? It is not fun....and I don't appreciate your making fun of my great loss.

hunter 5 years, 8 months ago

Regardless of where you stand, it simply wil not work. Take out 300 deer from town, go drop them off someplace else. Then watch new ones move in. They will come here no matter what. They might come one winter then never leave. If the town starts now the cost of continued removal effort will add up in a hurry. And it would require removal until either the town or the deer no longer exist. Both of which I never want to see happen.

Patrick,

The paper did a horrible job relaying hte concern of the DOW in this case. They are not worried about spreading the DOW. They are however bound to both state and federal laws regarding transport of animals etc. Just incase you may not know, the paper does not always present good quality responses.

FYI, the issue raised by the DOW was not about spreading the CWD. They are aware that it is here. The true issues becomes the cost of trapping and testing animals for relocation. Simply put it is against state and federal laws to rellocate animals with certain diseases. This being said the cost of trapping and reloating gets extremely expensive. There would have to be qualified vets on hand for several hours. Then the cost to do live test for CWD, lab work etc. While the reults are being tabulated there would have to be some sort of holding area and feed opperation. So the issue the DOW has is: it cost a lot of money to trap, test, relocate and then a ton of money to transport. As a resident I would much rather see my tax dollars or hunting fees go to something in much greater need.

I feel in general the the City would be much better off looking at other options. First and foremost would be resident education. There are a variety of things people can do to make thier property less attractive to any pest.

For a possible solution.... Lets take the coyotes from teh metro area and introduce them to eat our deer. Or we could always do a Culverwell and just shoot the poor starving things.

hunter 5 years, 8 months ago

HEHE. Patrick. I have seen a very nice buck in my back alley for a few nights now. I have the same urges. Again my issue is if we start killing em now, we will be killing them forever. Kill off a couple hundred this year in a few years they will be back. I on the other hand have a different view of the DOW. Simply put I would not want they job thay have. At one point in time I thought I might. Most are honest hard working people who took the job because they care about wildlife, they like working with the public and wanted to make a difference (sounds similar to reasons a person becomes a cop, teeacher, etc.) The only thing is the job itself is all about pollitics. Simply put they not only have to make landowners happy, but hunters(who supply them with a job), then the feds have a say, then the environmentalist attack, then you get others as well. Simply put in this state they are fighting a loosing battle. Where they have succes one place, they are met with failure in others. Where they secure wildliands and habitiat, they also see subdivisions etc.

hunter 5 years, 8 months ago

Sigh,

Harkner, was the dog on a leash? Was it on its own property with some sort of protection? IN Colorado, we are a fence out state. At any rate, you show little knowledge of the subject. If it was infact a bull then there must have been a herd of elk? If your dog was not on a leash on not under direct control of voice, then it deserved to be stomped. I really have issue with all the people that believe dogs should be allowed to run free. Every morning I watch a lady with a small 10 poundish dog walk. The dog is off leash and at times as far as 1/2 a block ahead or behind her. I almost hope that little dog gets squished, maybe she will learn about propper pet control then.

I am not sure where or how you mothers dog was attacked, but if it was off your property on not on leash so be it. There is place for people like that. It is called Boulder with California being a back up.

Patrick,

ONe thing to consider. You talked about the DOWs lack of ability to control the environment. It is easy to sit sit back and say what should be done. I know people were upset about the starvation last year, but it was a good thing, especially for elk. SImply put our herds have been way over number for several years. The goal of the areas here have been to reduce numbers. Hence the ability for hunters to kill 2 female elk a year. IN my family that meant a total of 4 between my wife and I. Simply put in our situation the number of tags were not enough to make the difference, We needed something else. When I talked with te DOW they had already set a mortality rate that was acceptible. In some areas of our county they are right at that point other area they were below it. Simply put iti s hard to justify feeding animals that are over populated. Overpopulated because the hunters have not been able to kill enough.

Shooting them off by hunters does not make sense either. Hunters are going to shoot nice health looking animals. Not bone bags indicating starvation. So in a sense what the hunting would have done (if done last year while we started seeing the starvation issue) is take healthy animals out and still leave the weak, wounded, young etc. To starve.

hunter 5 years, 8 months ago

Patrick,

I fully understand why people would want to remove them. I gues my reply to the stray cats/dogs is this: They are a human caused problem. People not taking propper care of the animals we introduce to the system. The deer are different. It is not the same in my mind. People caused the problem therefore we do something about it, the deer are part of nature. They are also held with a higher ethical standard. SImply put you can not go into many areas and see them like they are here. I would definitiely love to hunt a few of the bucks around town with my bow, but I do not see that being a viable option. Between landowners rights and safety concerns.

I guess we need to focus on ways to make the city suck for deer and the country better.

I will leave the PETA issue alone. This is after all a family type of place and I surely would not be able to leave my words thoughts and feelings about them, ALF or ELF in the appropriate range.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 8 months ago

Ah brother!!! You live in Craig Colorado. Deer were here for thousands of centuries before anything resembling mankind showed up on the scence. This subject relates to one factor. SOMEONES FLOWERS WERE CONSUMED BY A MULE DEER. SO SINCE YOU WANT FLOWERS...of which...how long do those flower lasts?? 2-3 months???...FLOWERS. This all has to do with someones flowers or shrubs....SO THE DEER MUST BE KILLED OUT BECAUSE OF FLOWERS???.........FLOWERS??!!!!!!!!!!! AH BROTHER!! UNBELIEVEABLE!! FLOWERS!!!! You must envison me shaking my head in complete amazement.....FLOWERS!!! OOOOOOO.K.

Next subject please!!! This is boooooooooooooooooooooooring and simply unbelieveable that a few people have nothing better to do than to complain about deer eating their FLOWERS!!!! FLOWERS!!!

I'm speechless.

trout2k 5 years, 8 months ago

CAntstandtexans, it is obvious that you would fall within the ranks of us who have nothing better to do than complain about the deer. Obviously, you are just as booooooooooooooooooring as the rest of us, or you would not have responded to this blog. I also find it hard to believe you are speechless, since--after all--you chose to "speak" by writing to this blog. Your words make you just as "simply unbelievable" by your responding to this issue.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 8 months ago

I love coming home, pulling into the driveway and seeing deer in my yard. It makes me happy. It's one of the benefits of living in Craig. The people who don't like the deer in town should move.

LEAVE THE DEER ALONE.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 8 months ago

To the mayor and city council.........back off.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 8 months ago

As I've said before it's more than flower beds and landscaping. One of my mother's dogs was chased, attacked and seriously injured by an aggressive bull during the rut 3 or 4 years ago. The deer have gotten so used to people that they have no fear. That dog could have easily been a person.

Feeding or baiting them with salt licks is completely asinine, not to mention illegal.

So Hunter, how do you really feel? Harkner, has had some very good things to say on many topic and I'm sure his use of "bull" was just a silly mistake. His parent live or use to live on E. 10th street and they have a big park in their back yard, where kids use to play and I'm sure dogs run around too. So even tho his mother's dog was attacked, I think his point is really the fact that it could have easily been a child. Maybe you should get a few facts before you bash someone. Now that said. I like to see the deer around too. If I wanted to be some place where we couldn't see things like this, I'd move to a big city and look at concrete all the time. I hope that whomever has to decide this stuff can come up with something besides killing the deer in town.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 8 months ago

Hunter - Nice ad hominem. You ruin your arguments when you hurl insults instead of factual rebuttals.

The dog was in our back yard. If it hadn't been inside the city limits that buck (sorry I said bull) would've been dropped with a 30-06. The dog doesn't have to be on a leash in its own yard and no, the dog didn't provoke the deer. She was recovering from cancer surgery and the deer pinned her and gored her.

The deer are out of control in Craig and there are ignorant people who feed and desensitize them. When one of the deer you so admire maims or kills someone, the first story reply will be 4 words from me. I told you so.

lonelyone - My parents still do live up on E. 10th Street.

John Kinkaid 5 years, 8 months ago

So..... the citizens of Estes Park are ignorant. They let the elk roam free through town endangering residents and their pets, not to mention all of the tourists who stop to watch them. The tourists are ignorant, too. Spending the night, eating meals, buying t-shirts and spotting elk.

I say we march right right over there and tell them just how ignorant they are. They will be easy to find. They will be in the town's banks.

And then we can march up to Canada and tell the citizens of Jasper just how ignorant they are, too. Bears...... indeed. How stupid. And those stupid tourists who come to watch! I'll never go to Jasper again. It's too dangerous.

The government will save us from the dangerous deer. I'm seeing Bambi in a whole new light now. Let's form a task force. Oh wait. We are.

jasonbourne, I'm gone give you a forum frenzy as soon as I stop laughing!!

freeman 5 years, 8 months ago

I THINK WHAT EVERYBOBY SHOULD DO IS GROW SOME GOOD HERB,,SMOKE IT AND THEN GO OUTSIDE TO GET BAMBY TO CURB THEIR MUNCHIES "just joking" . I grew up here and have seen the deer and elk in town every year. The deer are here year round though and that is the ONLY thing that I like about Craig. If you take away the deer in town - you take away the best part of country living. If one bad buck gores your mothers dog, dont let the dog out while the bucks in the yard. Throw some fireworks or rattle some pans Im sure the deer will move on.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 8 months ago

Jasonbourne - Did I say they were ignorant for having them? No, I didn't. Go back and reread what I said. FEEDING them is ignorant. Encouraging them to come into town and interact with humans, thereby causing them to lose their natural fear of humans is ignorant.

A fully grown male deer can kill you just as easily as a mountain lion or a bear. They're bigger, faster, and stronger than you are.

Using yours and Hunter's logic we should let the mountain lions that occasionally wander into Craig roam free. After all, they were here first.

freeman 5 years, 8 months ago

all of you people should read tim monahans letter

I did and Tim is right. We are cussing and discussing the deer problem alot more then we are the drug problem..........unles of course it is to B.... and moan about how some dearler got let go because they didn't have quite enough evidence against him!

hunter 5 years, 8 months ago

Yep that was a good letter. But I still love the fact that one dog was attacked and that is reason to kill em all? Seriously. Look up the number of people killed by deer a year from being attacked then justify the costly removal of the deer from city limits? Like mentioned there are places living with way more animals than we have and people do not die. It is part of mother nature and we simply can not control all of mother nature. Some instances we have to let it be.

Harkner, Where was an insult in my letter? If you took offense to it I am sorry. Maybe we should just shoot me because one day my insult may hurt a child. Simple fact is we have to coexist with nature on some level. In this case why spend thousands, possible hundreds of thousands of dollars on deer removal? They will never be gone for good, and will require continous money and effort.

As pets owners we have certain responsibilities. One of those is for hte safety of the pet. If I had a small dog, especially one that was already hurting I am pretty sure I would not let it have hte chance to mingle with a 200 pound wild animal. Just some common sense involed there. If there was a chance I would do something first.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 8 months ago

Hunter - To refresh your memory

"At any rate, you show little knowledge of the subject. If it was infact a bull then there must have been a herd of elk?"

That is an insult. Shoot you? Nah. I'm not that cruel.

The dog that was gored was not a small dog. It was a Shar-Pei and my mother tried throwing rocks at the deer and screaming at it but the deer wouldn't back down. It had no fear of her or the dog. That is my point precisely. The deer are losing their fear and that in itself makes an attack on a person MUCH more likely.

So, why haven't you responded about letting the mountain lions take over, too? After all it'd cost money to keep removing them from city limits, too...you need to coexist, right?

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

My Aunt went out yesterday morning to get her newspaper. There was a 4-point buck standing near the paper, so she went back inside and sent my Uncle to get the paper. Tee-hee! That's life in Craig. Some days, they just take my breath away, they are so pretty.