Mike Albee: Canada's health system

Canada's health system

A recent letter to the editor stated that "everywhere socialized medicine has been tried, it fails."

Here are some interesting and notable statistics about Canada and its "socialized health care system."

Canada's health care system accounts for 9.7 percent of their gross domestic product (GDP) whereas here it is 15.2 percent of our GDP. Life expectancy in Canada is 81 years versus 78 in the United States. "Healthy" life expectancy is 72 in Canada versus 69 in the United States.

Based on these statistics, it is my opinion that not all socialized health care systems fail.

Mike Albee

Comments

rhammel 5 years, 1 month ago

Good post, Mike. I am glad you are still around. Everyone should veiw Michael Moore's "Sicko," his documentary about heathcare. I think it is playing on Showtime. He also spends some time in Great Briton and Cuba. Now there is an eye-opener!

cantstandtexans 5 years, 1 month ago

No matter what side of the political spectrum one resides on, there is the hard knowledge...and this comes from those "In the Know"...that within 10 years, not many of us will have health care coverage, not many of us will be able to afford health care. Cost will cause most all of us to just let things happen. Sacrely is it not?

This isn't a political agenda I speak of. This comes from those within the sphere of the workings of how most of our health care is dished out. Again, within 10 years, you and I probably will not have health care coverage if something isn't done to collar in the runaway cost of health care that just seem to be the norm. But why?

Well let's briefly talk about that. It's called....Private profiteering. Insurance companies...outside of just a few...are out to pay out just as little as possible just so their stock options will be huge...even though a persons welfare is at stake health wise. You are not naive...just look at the arrogance of the CEO's of all the banks that begged for cash then went on luxury weekend getaway's and huge bonus pakages. One CEO had the arrogance of stating he had the right to a 10+ million dollar bonus even though the company he headed up lost some 13+ billion dollars. His response? If it hadn't been for him, that compny would have lost more billions. ARROGANCE!!!

So...there are wise choices that will bring down health care costs...socialized medicine does work! Ours is failing, so how can anyone with sound information ever make such a ridiculous statement of "All socialized health care fails"? I suspect this person listens to Drug Addict Rush Limbaugh plus the looneytoon antics of Fake News Fools! As if those idiots give a rip about this country and you and I!! NOT!!!

You choose. I would bet that all of those that are critical of socialized medicine would be running down to the local government agency begging for help if they lost their health care and became ill. You can count on it!! So get off your high horses and realize that something has to be done besides being critical and spiteful just because Rush says it so!!

lonelyone 5 years, 1 month ago

I know people who live in Canada and they say their socialized health care has it's good points and it's bad points. What health care system doesn't right?? Seems to me that their stuff could be better then ours right now and at least everyone gets it.....or so I understand from the little I know about it. What a concept!!!

Patrick Germond 5 years, 1 month ago

They have to go to the U.S. to get instant care, then sue their government for the cost afterwards. Plus, we are about the only ones doing any medical research in the whole world now, theres your 16%. The rest of the world stopped, to save money. But what the heck, lets just put Earth back into the dark ages and stop all advancement.

Plus, out of all the people that don't want to buy health care (18-34year olds and people who qualify for programs and aren't signed up), their are only 8 million who need it. But I'm sure we'll have to have 8 billion dollars in new government to ration everything to make it pay.

I see darkness, no light coming from my government at all.

taxslave 5 years, 1 month ago

My grandbaby spent 6 days in ICU. AFTER insurance paid the balance is 30K.

nikobesti 5 years, 1 month ago

lonelyone, nice comment. Very few people are saying we should move to a true nationalized health care system in America like they have in UK. But don't we all agree our system has its problems too and could use some improvement? I don't want to hear it about how we would pay for others' health care. We already do, people. All we insured pay out the nose for the uninsured. As cantstandtexans mentioned, leaving insurance companies to do as they wish in the market without some controls is dangerous. Insurance is one of those unique areas where it actually serves the companies to screw their customers by denying them coverage. This is the way companies make profit. Is it just me that finds something wrong with that?

To completely discount other countries' health care systems by saying they are all "failures" like the letter writer did is disingenuous.

lonelyone 5 years, 1 month ago

That is a good article granny and it goes along pretty much what I've head.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 1 month ago

All that are insured pay out the nose for the unisured? No we don't. There's not one unisured person the company I work for pays out any medical payments. And if is were not for the product developement of pharmaceuticals in Europe...we wouldn't have many of the drugs we take for granted today. If it weren't for European pharmaceutical reserach...we wouldn't have the many pesticides that allow all of us to lived relatively free from the many pestilences that plaqued civilizations for thousands of years.

No. The ongoing research taking place within countries that have open socialized medicine focus much of the attention on prevention. Britain has conducted intensive research into prevention of heart attacks, which...if I recall...is a growing killer here in America and women are the main population section experiencing a growth rate in heart attacks. Here's one prevention method the U.K. came away with by intensive studies. A tablespoon of tomatoe paste and a section of fresh garlic everyday. Yeah..I know...talk about bad breath. But this prevention potion has been proven to cut heart attacks..stroke...high colesterol and high blood preasure. So simple.

It will be uninformed to say that there is no research taking place with countries with socialized medical coverage. There is. Israel is another country with great interest in medical research.

Yes...there is no perfect health care coverage anywheres in any country or system. But the fact remains that if there isn't a board scale overhaul of our present profit oriented medical system...most of us...you and I included..within ten years will not have medical coverage. And I can tell you, I do not have the money to pay for medical services. Oh Baby!! I went to the dentists today. A simple crown with a filling to stablized the tooth costs approximately $1,100.00 with my co-payment of just a mere $280.00. I don't have that money today...so I'll have to start allowing money every payday to be set aside till I have the cash. Forget about the credit card!! That's got to stop with everyone! So what if soething massive happens. What would you or I do without medical coverage?

Prevention. Public education about health issues. People taking responsibility for being over weight and drinking to excess. Smokers anyone?!! I don't. I don't consume booze of any sorts. So why should you or I pay for someone's medical if they smoke and get lung cancer? Responsibility. You smoke...then no medical. Simple. Take meth? Then no medical!! That's not cold hearted...it's being responsible to yourselve and your health.