Police to register ATVs, OHVs Thursday and Friday

If you go

What: ATV and OHV registration

for driving on city streets

Where: Moffat County

Public Safety Center

When: 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday,

9 a.m. to noon Friday

Details: Residents should bring a valid driver’s license, proof of ownership, vehicle identification number, proof of insurance and $25 to pay the city fee.

— Proponents of a city ordinance allowing all-terrain and off-highway vehicles on city streets still have one more step to take before they can freely drive their machines on the road.

All ATVs must be registered with the Craig Police Department before they can be driven on public roads when the ordinance takes effect Friday.

The Police Department will host open registration events from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Friday to accommodate what police officials think will be a large turnout of ATV enthusiasts.

ATV owners must bring their vehicles to the Moffat County Public Safety Center during these times, along with proof of insurance, ownership and $25 in registration fees.

Craig Police Commander Jerry Delong said qualifying owners will be issued a registration sticker similar to what Colorado State Parks requires for riding on public land.

More importantly, he said, owners need to have the correct insurance to be eligible for registration.

He said many ATV owners have recreational vehicle insurance but are not covered for driving on public roadways.

With the adamant support for the ordinance seen at past City Council meetings, Delong said the Police Department is prepared for a large turnout of ATV users.

Subsequently, he said drivers in Craig need to be prepared for seeing the machines on city streets and sharing the road with them.

“The best driver is the defensive driver,” he said. “You just have to make sure everything’s safe while you’re going down the road.”

To ensure the safety of the community, the ordinance requires those who drive ATVs on city streets to be more than 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license.

The vehicles must be outfitted with safety equipment such as a headlamp, taillights, reflectors, horn, muffler and rearview mirror.

Delong also said the police department is preparing to enforce all traffic laws the same for every vehicle on city streets.

Delong said if a traffic accident involves an ATV and a car, insurance claims and citations will work the same way as if it were two cars.

Also, the same laws about driving under the influence will apply to ATV drivers.

“If we do catch someone under the influence, we’ll charge them that way like we would any other driver,” he said.

Delong added it will ultimately be up to the community to keep alert while driving and be aware of the new vehicles.

“It’s going to take the motoring public a while to get used to seeing ATVs on the roadways,” he said.

Comments

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

Here we go, another giant step backwards for the city of Craig.
Why does the council and the people that live here always have to prove they are a bunch of hicks?
Next thing will be, someone will want to drive thier Sherman tank on the street and our stupid council will allow that too. Such stupidity!

bwhite 4 years, 11 months ago

You know als, what exactly is your problem? Do you really stand for anything or are you just against everyone and everything? You need to go find yourself a cave somewhere and crawl in there and just be all by yourself and then you wouldn't have to put up with the stupidity of anyone who does not see things your way or might do things differently than you. No one is asking you to ride your ATV in town, no one is asking for your approval, there are alot of people in this town who think this is a great thing. Alot of law abiding people who will follow the ordinance and, much to your dismay I'm sure, enjoy taking advantage of being able to ride their ATV in town. There are many other towns and states that allow this and have no problem with it. There was alot of work that went into the research of this and there is no reason that it won't work here. So get your panties out of the wad they are in and get over yourself because no one really cares what you think. I say great job to the council members who put themselves out there and do good things for our community without hiding behind the anonymity of a blog entry.

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

To bwhite; I think if they took your brain and put it inside of a mustard seed, it would rattle around like a BB inside a barrel.

GreyStone 4 years, 11 months ago

When one person makes an attempt to cast doubt about the intellect of others, that may be an expression of doubt about one persons own level of intellect, no doubt .

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

No, I am not against everything. I am however against other people compromising my safety by allowing this kind of activity.
I don't care whether anyone wants my approval or not. These pages are for opinions. Opinions can never be wrong because that is what they are, opinions.
It is a shame that some people like bwhite take such offense at others opinions. I am confident that everyone riding atv's in town will act in the absolute safest way possible, for a while. Then the craziness will begin.
I can only hope that I am not involved in an accident with one, they won't stand much of a chance against my pick up. By the way greystone, I have no doubts about my intellect, but do question the intelligence of this ordinance, and laws like them.

GreyStone 4 years, 11 months ago

My apology als362, the mistaken assumption was that you were casting disparaging comments towards the brain of bwhite, which confused the issue.

ShopGirl 4 years, 11 months ago

I have been following the comments on this issue for some time and finally I feel compelled to comment myself. I too feel personal attacks on ones intellect truly do reveal the intellect of the attacker In this case especially.als362, legally driving, note I expressed legally operating an ATV or a Sherman Tank as you so eloquently expressed, is far safer for everyone than someone who gets behind the wheel of a "pickup" while under the influence of an intoxicating substance, and choses to drive in that state. That reflects true CRAZINESS, an opinion which I feel many people would agree with-not just my own. I find it very ironic that you als362 of all people would be concerned with others compromising YOUR SAFETY. To conclude I feel compelled to quote "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

bwhite 4 years, 11 months ago

Here you go again als spouting off as if anyone cares. I am not going into the ATV ordinace that is a done deal, read it and weep! Kudos to all those who worked so hard to get it passed. Now here is my opinion, and of course it is right because it is an opinion, you are a sad, lonely person als. Anyone who has such loathing for everything and everyone really can't be very happy. You need to stay off the streets (with that big tough truck), off of Elkhead, out of the isles of stores, off of bikes, no walking for you, and heaven forbid you ever get on an atv. We all know that you will find something else to gripe about in the future because after all that is what you do best. Maybe you could try using all that negative energy to actually do something positive for yourself or the community, just a thought.

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

It is very difficult to do any good in a community that is filled with people that think things like this ordinance is a good idea.
By the way I do own an atv, I am just smart enough to know where it is safe to ride it.

bwhite 4 years, 11 months ago

als I am glad that you recognize the fact that many people in this community like this ordinance. We didn't expect everyone to agree and we sincerely hope that the concerns over safety that the reasonable citizens in this community have brought up never become an issue. As for my taking offense to anything that you have to say, DONT WORRY! You have spewed negative crap about and called far more respectable and intelligent people than myself idiots, stupid and who knows what else. When you exibit this type of behavior long enough my friend, your credibility goes in the toilet. Even those who may agree with you tend to stay clear of association with you. Opinions or not, you have made yourself a joke on these bloggs and people log on just to laugh at you. You seem to have ignored ShopGirl. Why is that? Do you live in a glass house? Also, since you say you own an atv, I hope that you never stoop so low as to take advantage of this new privilage that the citizens of Craig and soon to be citizens of Moffat County now have! Not my opinion, just my wish. Merry Christmas

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

To shopgirl: Just to let you know, I haven't had a drink of anything alcoholic since Feb, 2001. I doubt many people can make that claim. Unless you have a lack of alcohol use that goes back farther than that, be quiet. To bwhite: You will never see me riding an atv on the street because of the dangers involved with that activity. I choose not to put myself in that kind of danger. So you can be quiet as well. I hope the safety issue never comes up as you do, but I am certain that it will.

norights 4 years, 11 months ago

don't atvs have a sticker on them that says for off road use only?

nightwatch 4 years, 11 months ago

the first one that gets plowed over because of there negligence would be the first speed bump you have to get over to change there minds in riding these in the streets

daybyday 4 years, 11 months ago

What some people don't get is that creating lawlessness in our quest for personal freedom to do whatever we want whenever we want is a grand recipe for disaster. People who care about doing what they want with seemingly little understanding or regard to the potential consequences is nothing less than irresponsible. Reminds me of that rock song, We don't need no education. That mindset can be expected in a child, but in an adult???...please.

bwhite...when you speak for everyone as you have here a couple times, you have overstepped your bounds in my opinion far more than someone (e.g. als) who is, although over the top opinionated at some points, at least speaks for himself. I've read quite a few of als's posts - he's anti-spending/wasting, anti-drug/alcohol and against reckless and childish behavior such as leaving trash, providing alcohol to minors, driving distracted with cellphones, pets running loose, and atv's on public streets to name a few. Doing whatever we want because we want to is not progress.

Yes (norights), there are manufacture stickers on ATV's that say for off road use...for good reason. They are just starting to pass laws against cell phone use while operating a motor vehicle (no texting)...for good reason. Pets aren't allowed to run wild and minors should not drink alcohol or be provided drugs or alcohol by their parents...for good reason. Comeon people.

als362 4 years, 11 months ago

A few thoughts to go along with daybyday's post.
The owners manual that came with the atv that I own states the following. I did not make this up, this is a direct quote. "BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU RIDE" "This ATV is designed for off-road use only. Riding on paved surfaces can cause loss of control". "WARNING" "POTENTIAL HAZARD" "Operating this ATV on paved surfaces" "WHAT CAN HAPPEN" "ATV's are desigened for off-road use only. Paved surfaces may seriously affect handling and control of the ATV, and may vause the ATV to go out of control". "HOW TO AVVOID THE HAZARD" "Always avoid paved surfaces, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and streets".

xrsareus 4 years, 11 months ago

als362 I see your concern, I think in all the other place's ATV's are successfuly and legaly ran on the streets , the ATV's must have been bought from a different country. I just don't see how the ATV's around here can work (just kidding). Did you read all the warning about how to operate one off-road? I have seen alot more dangers off road.

als362, it is time to back away from the ordinance, it has passed and there is nothing you can do about it now. (unless you want to run for City Council) You need to save you strength for you "next bitch, gripe, complaint".... Let it go Oh yea, have a Merry Christmas

bwhite 4 years, 11 months ago

als, I think you have made the right choice. If you think that you will not live to see another day because you can't control an atv on a paved surface, you really should refrain from riding with us on the streets. Accidents can and may happen but if you are sure your riding skills are so poor it is good that you have decided not to join us. As I have said previously, self preservation is a very important part of riding a motorcycle on the streets of Anywhere U.S.A. Daybyday, it is not my intention to speak for everyone and I try not to sound like I am. When I do say we or us, I am speaking for the group that has worked on this ordinance. We have put much time and effort into this and as long as we are not on here spouting rudeness and non factual information, I think anyone in the group can speak for the others. I have made several references to the fact that not everyone in Craig agrees with this. I have also tried to answer questions that some of you who are not sold on the idea may have. To you I would like to adress the idea of lawlessness. That is exactly why we took this issue before the council, to see if we could work with the laws of Craig and make this a possibility for those who would like to ride.and do so within the laws of Craig. Close to a dozen of the officials that our town has elected to help maintain law and order, and has intrusted with all matters that concern our town, have looked at all research and facts that were presented to them. From this info, they have concluded that it can be done without undue risk to the citizens they are charged with protecting.

bwhite 4 years, 11 months ago

Daybyday This one is also for you. As far as consequences, we did have concerns as to the safety of this activiy, and while we felt that we would be fine, we wondered about others. We decided to make some calls to the cities that we had used as examples in our presentations to the Councelors. We contacted 6 cities randomly with populations ranging from 10,500 up to 57,500 people. Each town we contacted, we called the police Department and explained our purpose and asked to talk to an Officer that actually works the streets. To a man, not one of them had any negative comments. Several of them kept it to a simple answer like, "they have the same issues as motorcycles have". An Officer in Cheyanne Wy (pop. 55,000) commented that he "noticed some people didn't like them there either but in fact, they blended very well with traffic and that You actually never even notice them as being different". Flagstaff Az (pop. 57,500) The Officer I spoke with there has been working there for 3 years and has never responded to an atv vs. automobile collision. I could go on but space is limited. If you choose to use this information, as did some of our towns authorities, it may address some of your concerns for safety. I hope that it will help. Another concern I would like to address by example is this. How many motorcycles do we actually run over here in Craig? I mean no offense to anybody that has had an unfortunate accident because I do realize that accidents happen. But to everyone that is concerned with running over us, really, how many joggers, bicyclists or motorcyclist do we run over here in town. You don't leave your house every morning dreading it because you think you are going to run over somebody do you? How about we reserve the right to pass judgement but at the same time, give it a little bit of time to watch it work. Who knows, it could turn out to be just another benifit to small town living that others wish they could have?

westslopeguy 4 years, 11 months ago

I could be wrong, no wait... this is just my opinion, so accordingly it must be right... I'm thinking a little medical marijuana will help ease some of the tension here. Just not while you're driving your atv on city streets.

jeff corriveau 4 years, 11 months ago

Bruce: Remember: you can't win a pissing contest with a skunk! The ordinance is passed so you don't have to continue campaigning for it. My suggestion is just quit responding as you're not going to change any minds. Let's see what happens with this thing. Nothing happens and that will be a good thing!

George Robertson 4 years, 11 months ago

Actually you CAN win a pissing contest with a skunk, but in the end you are not only a winner but a real stinker as well.