Tom Mathers charged with 3 misdemeanors after vehicle incident

photo

Tom Mathers

A Moffat County commissioner was charged Monday in Moffat County Court with three misdemeanors stemming from a vehicular incident July 12.

Tom Mathers, 60, was charged with assault in the third degree, a Class 1 misdemeanor; careless driving, a Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense; and failure to report an accident, a Class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense.

On July 20, Mike Breen, of Craig, a former cook at Mathers bar and grill, filed a report with the Craig Police Department, alleging that Mathers struck him with his vehicle outside Mathers’ establishment days earlier, on July 12, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Breen told Police Officer Bryan Gonzales he had been sitting on a bench outside the bar smoking a cigarette between noon and 1 p.m.

According to the affidavit, Mathers pulled his truck into the parking lot and pinched Breen’s leg between the truck and the bench.

Mathers said he ended up pinching Breen’s leg by accident, the affidavit stated.

According to the affidavit, Breen, who was employed by Mathers at the time of the accident, said he suffered injuries that caused him to visit medical professionals, miss several days of work and suffer pain.

The 14th Judicial District Attorney’s Office turned the case over to a special prosecutor from the 5th Judicial District Attorney’s Office in Summit County because of a potential conflict of interest.

Fifth Judicial District Attorney Mark D. Hurlbert, who is listed on Mathers’ charging documents, was previously a district attorney in Eagle County where he prosecuted a sexual assault case against NBA star Kobe Bryant.

On Dec. 6, the Police Department received a report from the 5th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, recommending charges be filed against Mathers.

A warrant was issued Monday, and Mathers turned himself in to the Moffat County Jail at about 1:30 p.m.

He was released the same day on a $1,500 personal recognizance bond.

A court date had not been scheduled as of Monday afternoon, according to court records.

When reached by phone Monday afternoon, Mathers said his attorney advised him not to make any public statements regarding the case.

Mathers was elected to the Moffat County Commission in November 2006. He is up for re-election in November 2010.

Moffat County election officials said it is unlikely any potential misdemeanor convictions stemming from the charges would affect Mathers’ eligibility to run for re-election, or hold public office.

Nicole Inglis can be reached at 875-1793, or ninglis@craigdailypress.com.

Comments

carn 5 years ago

Tom, if you haven't done so already, hire a private investigator immediately.

oldgezzer 5 years ago

yea great idea carn. maybe a p.i. will uncover how tom tried to cover all this up and tried to buy mr. breen's silence on this whole matter. in my opinion any one who has been hit by tom in his bar should file a report before the statute of limitaions is up too.

carn 5 years ago

I'm speaking from personal experience. Are you? If so, why are you sitting on your annonymous butt behind a computer?

westslopeguy 5 years ago

I'm not taking sides, (yet - As I, opposed to most posters of these pages, still believe in the UNITED STATES Constitution in that ALL parties charged with an offense are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law), but I am curious...

Why should a suspect, err... defendant at this time, need to hire a private investigator to investigate an incident that occurred 6 months ago? Isn't that what the CPD did, and subsequently turned it over to the 14th JD, who subsequently turned it over to the 5th JD? Or is this just another of those things wherein the typical Craiger - (I'm not calling anyone in particular a "typical Craiger" since ALL of the posts I see here are "anonymous") - it just seems that most posters put the City of Craig and it's citizenry above the state or federal laws surrounding an issue.

And as far as the "anonymity" of these posts, I notice ALL posters are "anonymous." I at least sign my first name to my posts, and further, I have sent an email to CDP requesting to be listed or at least tell me how to change my status from an "anonymous" poster to one identified. If anyone out there in Craig's cyberworld knows how to do this please advise.

Since I touched on a couple of issues, this time I'm offering: My 4cents Paul

carn 5 years ago

The LE in your area do not have investigators - although they may be declared "experts" by the court, they are basically clowns. They are too lazy to look at all the evidence - just pick out the easy stuff and claim the rest was "destroyed". Too lazy even to make sure it was, in fact, destroyed. Too bad for them . . .

carn 5 years ago

Also, old geezer is commenting based on hearsay, unless he has personally been "hit" by Tom or personally been offered a bribe to keep quiet. If he has personally suffered either of these two, he should be filing a report. If not, he is merely spreading gossip annonymously (while sitting on his butt at his computer.)

If you need further clarification, it will cost you another 4 cents.

oldgezzer 5 years ago

opps, sorry carn. i forgot i cant comment on the facts i know and from what i have witnessed in the past.

slipknot 5 years ago

I don't know anything about what really happened but this I do know: It doesn't matter who you are, if you want a fair trial in Moffat County, especially in this case, Tom Mathers needs to get a private investigator and from what I've read a change of venue from the change of venue that's already been granted. To bad the LEO's didn't get a blood alcohol or run a breathalyzer on the 'injured party' this might have a whole different outlook. I'm not pro-Mathers, I've just had enough run-ins with Moffat County/Craig LEO's over the past 15 years to know that I sincerely doubt their honesty in any situation. I've said it before, it's not known state wide as Mafia County for nothing.

slipknot 5 years ago

I need to clarify my comment: I like Tom and Mike both and have known them for years. I don't partake of alcohol so I don't know them on a professional basis, only on a neighbor type basis. I don't think I've ever been in their place of business. My question is what was the local LEO doing on private property to begin with? Is there something else going on here that is not being told? It sounds like a Workers Compensation Claim that went to an ambulance chaser, more than anything else, to me.

cmtca 5 years ago

I am a friend of Mr. Breen. I know what has taken place over the last few months. I know that Mr. Breen was willing to not make this an issue as long as Mr. Mathers took care of his medical bills. It was a joke that went wrong, but never the less, Mr. Mathers is at fault and should be held accountable no matter who he is to this community. I am tired of people in this community getting away with things because of who they are. It is wrong and it needs to be stopped

jaz 5 years ago

Tom never did try to buy my anything, he didnt want me to go to the hospital so we made up a story at Kinder family clinic to save his "name". I was fired days after that. My bills are still unpaid from check-ups to ulta-sound tests my right leg has a permant damage to it. I have two witnesses that were there to see the whole thing,pictures of the building,my legs days after the whole thing.One more thing ,slipknot, when this happened I was on the clock working for him and finished my 12 hour shift.

native_craig_guy 5 years ago

Carn- "The LE in your area do not have investigators". First of all we do have investigators and second of all is this not our area? Our police are not clowns, they are experts and they are professionals. I guess that you are one of those individuals who hate cops. I follow laws and do not have run ins with them.

Slipknot- LEOs can be on private property and they can even be on private property when called to it. I also remember hearing somewhere that in an establishment that has a liquor license police officers can come in and perform checks for violations of that license. It is an administrative function of LEOs. I am sure that if you have ever been in a bar in Craig you have seen the CPD or MCSO perform "Bar Checks".

carn 5 years ago

Native Craig Dude - I do not hate cops. I am married to one. I hate bad (incompetent) cops.

jaz 5 years ago

For the record. I was not drinking any alcohol,nor was Tom. This all happened at about noon. Tom has brushed this under the rug for months,I didnt want it to go this far I tried to work with the man,he was too worried about his name and his pocketbook.

carn 5 years ago

Again. Tom, hire a private investigator RIGHT NOW!

slipknot 5 years ago

ok. . .ok maybe I was wrong. Perhaps the injured party in this case does have a legitimate case. I'll back off. I didn't read the article that close I thought that Mike or Tom would've mentioned this before I had to read it in the newpaper. This took place in July and it's now December. You people are right. I'm wrong. Tom screwed up. But if you know Tom, that's Tom he's a joker and this one backfired, and he's got to pay now.

native_craig_guy 5 years ago

Carn- Being married to a cop in this community I would imagine that you would be aware of the investigation divisions in both local offices. I too dislike incompetent cops (I should expand that to incompetence in general), but your comment makes a sweeping generalization against all cops in "your area". Even though our departments have had some bad apples come to light recently I think that overall we have great law enforcement officers in this area and we should be proud of them and all that they do for our community.

ruralmom 5 years ago

Again.... it's not what you know it is who you know. I hold our city and county official, commitioners, police, public service workers, at a higher standard. Yes, we makes mistakes but come on this is stupid. Mather's caused this man injury and he needs to be held accountable. I know neither party and it should not matter. What has happened to the days of being reponsible for your own action. We have lost our way.