Ray Cartwright: Clean up after sales

This is to all of the citizens out there who have had yard sales or garage sales in the past week or two. Is it too much to ask that after the event is over to go around and pick up your signs and boxes that you left to be blown all over the countryside?

All you have to do is drive around to any of the more prominent intersections in town to see the results of what I am talking about.

If it were up to me, I would tell the police to get the addresses and phone numbers off of the signs and if they weren't cleaned up by Sunday morning, then they should be issued a ticket for littering.

It might just be that the money that they made on their junk could be used to pay the fine. Just my thoughts on the matter

Ray Cartwright

Comments

sparky 5 years ago

I totally agree It is discusting to see all the garbage laying around.What makes me even more angry is the responsible yard sale holders like myself end up being punished for the lazy peple in town.They are the reason we are no longer able to post signs on telephone poles.When I have a sale I go on Saturday afternoon to remove mine.Get with the program people or very soon we will not be allowed to post any signs anywhere.

lonelyone 5 years ago

Sparky, I think there are other safety reasons you can no longer put yard sale signs on telephone poles, but I agree with both of you that it looks so tacky to have these boxes left lying around for the wind to blow everywhere.

Another pet peeve of mine is the posters placed in windows and then left for days after the event. If you have the time and energy to put this stuff up to begin with, then take the time and energy to take it down!

xrsareus 5 years ago

Easy money for the city, It is obvious the people that don't pick up their signs know the law, not to put them on posts, so they should also know not to leave them after their sale is over. Monday morning the city code enforcement should take a drive on Victory and Yampa, take a picture of the violation, send them a summons. There should be know tolorence. How much easier could it be, the address of the violator is on the sign. This pure and simple should be a littering fine:: By the yard sale people leaving their signs and littering the city they show they don't care about what the city looks like and the rest of us know where you live. Maybe ???? The Daily Press could print the yard sale law to remind everyone.

als362 5 years ago

The easy fix for this problem would be to erect some adverising sign boards. I bet that places like Safeway, K Mart, City Market, all the Kum and Go's, Gopher Foods, and the Centennial Mall, would be willing to erect billboards for yard sales on their own. I think this because it is quite possible that while checking the yard sale ads in the morning, that person might go in that store for a cup of coffee, a donut, might remember something they need, etc. Another palce for this type of bill board would be at the small park downtown, Lowdy Simpson, all the city parks. If these types of bill boards were erected then there would be no need for all of the slobbish looking boxes blowing all over town. Also the people that want to go to these types of sales would know exactly where to go to find out about them. In addition there would be no need for anyone to go looking for boxes, or the need to fine people. To me this is the best and simplest solution. It would seem to me also that the City Council would do everything in their power to get this type of thing done. This is a simple way to solve a messy problem.

xrsareus 5 years ago

So who is going to take care of the mess at the billboards? Do you think the people that leave boxes all over the city are going to go down and take their sign off of the billboard? If people have enough ambition to put a yard sale sign out on the corner they should be able to to take it down. Hit them where they live in the pocket book, they are nothing but litter's plain and simple.

sparky 5 years ago

I am all for fining the losers who violate the law.Perhaps if they did this to everyone of the people who left their signs after sunday it would get around town.But since nothing is done by the police.Nothing will change.

I would love to have a place to put signs like a previous poster recommends.However as it stands now there is nothing of the sort. City market used to have a nice big corkboard in the front of their store. They have since moved it to the deli department and people do not know its there.

Its a shame so many of our fellow craigites care so little about how their town looks.I have a good idea who they are I have been to "their" yard sales and their junk was not worth the gas it took to drive there.

als362 5 years ago

To xrsareus: Anyone that would take the time to erect a bill board, would have enough sense to add a couple of trash cans to the project.

DAILYREADER 5 years ago

BUT YOU ALL SEE, THIS IS ANOTHER ORDINANCETHAT WILL NOT BE ENFORCED.

als362 5 years ago

Might not need another ordinance with the bill boards

xrsareus 5 years ago

To als362: Or....Make it illegal to post any kind of yard sale signs at all. If you want to have a yard sale put it in the paper or on the radio. No billboards, no signs laying around. NO TRASH. I"m still not sure who would be responsible to erect the billboard and maintain them and why would they want to, unless they are going to charge a fee for their time...Maybe you could make some extra money als362 ??? Just make sure billboards meet the city's sign code ordinance.

lonelyone 5 years ago

In some ways als362 may have a good idea, but I think it has a few holes in it too. I know, that as one of you said City Market is the only place that you can post anything like this. And as far as using a trash can along with the bill board, well if they can't pick up their little boxes that can't be read anyway, why would they bother to use a trash can? I think fining the buggers is the best way to get it through everyones mind that they need to be responsible for what they do and if there are tickest written, the paper should publish that too. Otherwise, if no one knows that someone got into trouble, no one will worry about what might happen to them if they leave their boxes and signs

Ray Cartwright 5 years ago

Give me a break... erect a bill board; just where is that money coming from and who is going to build it. We aren't in the movies bill boards don't grow on trees. Why do we need another ordinance, it is no different than driving down the street and throwing your trash out the window. If the police see you doing that you will get a ticket and pay a fine. Hell we don't even need to see them throw something out the window their address is already on the sign. Just swing by the house and drop off the ticket. Maybe the judge could assign them with community service to pick up trash along the streets. Now wouldn't that be poetic justice.

lonelyone 5 years ago

I know.....lets get the city to pay one of us 20K to do a study and we can go to other towns in Colorado to see what they do about their yard sale sign problem!! Granny where is your brother? Last summer we were looking at getting him involved in one of these studies?? lol

xrsareus 5 years ago

Dentedfender,

Now your talking, I like the community service idea. I love yard sales myself, but something needs to be done. Yard sale season is almost over for this year but maybe the city can have an inforcement plan by next year. Should be easy, there is already a littering law. Just inforce it....