Larry Hill, of Longmont, holds his medical marijuana card up Tuesday for the Craig City Council to see. Hill, who owns The Apothecary in Longmont, helped Shaun Hadley open the Craig Apothecary at 611 Breeze St., which opened Saturday.

Photo by Hans Hallgren

Council puts a hold on medical pot

photo

Larry Hill, left, and Shaun Hadley sit inside the Craig Apothecary with various items for sale to registered marijuana patients.

The Craig City Council unanimously approved, 6-0, an emergency moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries Tuesday night, after a public discussion about the issue turned into a shouting match and the mayor closed proceedings.

Councilor Jennifer Riley was the only official absent.

The moratorium will last for 60 days and preclude all operations of medical marijuana dispensaries, as well as prevent city staff from accepting development documents for any such business.

Councilors said the time will give city officials an opportunity to craft specific zoning ordinances for marijuana dispensaries, such as required distances from schools and public parks.

However, the moratorium will not apply to the Craig Apothecary, owned and operated by Craig resident Shaun Hadley and Larry Hill, who owns a separate dispensary in Longmont.

The Craig Apothecary opened Saturday at 611 Breeze St., which means the city cannot force on it any regulations not already approved.

The owners said the business will operate by appointment only, from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

There will be minimal outside signage, and they said they plan to install heavy security.

They also said marijuana will not be grown there, but that is a possibility for the future.

Hadley said he would voluntarily comply with any potential regulations the city develops for dispensaries, with the exception of changing his location.

"Any other rules and regulations the council sets forth, we'd be more than happy to comply with," he said.

His location on Breeze Street, however, came under fire from residents opposing a medical marijuana dispensary in Craig. They said it was too near Breeze Park and child day cares.

Several people spoke for and against medical marijuana and dispensaries, which are essentially commercial storefronts for people who serve a large number of registered marijuana patients.

Frank Hadley, Shaun's father and a man who has spent several decades working in drug and alcohol counseling in Craig, said he chose not to consume marijuana after being diagnosed with lymphoma because of his exposure to Agent Orange in the Vietnam War.

However, Frank said the pain was so incredible, he could not tell anyone with cancer they wouldn't be allowed to find the best possible medication for their treatment.

Craig resident John Lawton said, however, those who sell medical marijuana are little more than drug dealers who found a loophole in the law, referring to the constitutional amendment in Colorado approved by voters in 2000.

It is still a dangerous drug, Lawton said.

"There are three reasons I quit smoking marijuana," he said. "It made me stupid, lazy and paranoid. : It has not been studied enough so we know what it does and what doses are required."

The meeting became heated when resident Patrick Germond intimated that Shaun opened Craig Apothecary because he couldn't pass a drug test at his former job as an electrician.

"You're getting : personal," Frank said loudly.

After the tension escalated further, Mayor Don Jones banged his gavel, closed the proceeding and would not let anyone else speak about the issue.

Jessica Asplund, Shaun's girlfriend, said Germond's statement was public slander and asked if she could receive a written transcript of the meeting, to which city staff said she could.

Asplund said she is "strongly considering" filing a civil suit against Germond for his statement.

The two sides continued arguing outside City Hall after the mayor closed public comments.

Collin Smith can be reached at 875-1794 or cesmith@craigdailypress.com

Comments

als362 5 years, 3 months ago

We can't seem to get a grip on the drug problems that already surround us. Why would we want to purposely cause more of the same? If this type of drug is needed to cure people and relieve pain, then it should be administered by doctors, not a person recently laid off. And, if it is true Hadley could not pass a drug test, then I have no use or need for him.

luvbug 5 years, 3 months ago

All Patrick did, as he always does is say what everybody else thinks!

pathfinder2006 5 years, 3 months ago

This is to Craig resident John "Stupid,Lazy & Paranoid"Lawton, Sir if you were not so Lazy and did your research before inserting your feet in your mouth you would know that Marijuana is the MOST STUDIED PLANT ON THE EARTH right now and it is not at all Dangerous. If used by consenting adults,unlike alcohol or pharmaceuticals which make you stupid, lazy, and paranoid, Marijuana is a great relaxing drug for those of us who prefer not to use pharmaceuticals. Tobacco is far more damaging than Marijuana but your probably not against that...anyway the point of the matter is you people are basically scared of people with flowers.

JAHM 5 years, 3 months ago

as far as im concerned when Patrick decided to open his big mouth and get personal about the situation thats when the meeting went down hill. So Patrick you did nothing but fudge the whole meeting up by getting personl! its no ones fault but your own! you should have kept it on a public level not personal!!! there are plenty of people on this blogging that know you personally and when you are on here writting articals or blogging none of us have made it personal as far as I can remember! they all keep it public even when your name calling and slandering people who do not agree with you, and yes some have givin in and started the name calling and slandering back, but as I look back at past articals and blogs your usually the first one to start! that was down right low and dirty what you did! everyone that disagrees with your opinions and thoughts are decent enough people to keep it public and not get personal! You should have had the same respect for this man. Like I said there are plenty of us out here in cyber land that disagree greatly with your opinions and articals but we are all for the most part respectful enough to keep it on a public level and try not to name call and slander! You sir need to learn how to control yourself when you are in public! you might find that you may get further than you normally would when you start name calling and slandering people who do not agree with you. I hope you know that when you do stuff like that on here or at a public meeting it does nothing but make you look bad. Just some food for thought. You might want to sit and munch on that for a while before you decide to go to another city meeting or any kind of public meeting, or before you decide to write your opinion and start name calling and slandering on here as well. Maybe if you learn a little bit more self control and learn that people have their opinions and are entitled to them and not to slander them and name call the minute they disagree with you, you may start to notice that more people will start wanting to hear what you have to say about whats going on wether they agree with you or not.

Wapitipoker 5 years, 3 months ago

An emergency! OMG! Run for your lives!

Seriously. Patrick, what does your son working in a mine have to do with anything. Lots of people work lots of places and medical marijuana was still approved by the majority of voters in the state.

As for the stupid, lazy and paranoid remark; Yes, if that's your experience you should quit. However, just like there are a myriad variety of teas that you can drink for different maladies - there are a vast amount of different strains of marijuana. If you smoke the good stuff you won't feel stupid, lazy and paranoid. Mr. Lawton was probably smoking cheap imported Mexican weed that wasn't processed correctly. You can't simplify everything to a black-and-white comparrison and be factual and truthful at the same time.

Not to be negative, but this is exactly what I thought would happen. Craig is full of too many closed-minded conservatives that are quick to judge and hypocritical - they can tell you how to live but don't try telling them...

CMP1345 5 years, 3 months ago

I have to agree with last comment posted the meeting last night showed how far behind the times Craig really is in comparison to the rest of the state. The medical marijuana issue was approved the majority of Colorado voters, and under the law anyone holding a card stating that they are a state approved medical marijuana patient should be able to purchase his or her medicine legally no matter where they live in the state. Mr. Hadley is not nor should be considered a drug dealer,he has mearly opened a business to fill the needs of patients approved by the state of Colorado.

GrandFutures 5 years, 3 months ago

I continue to be impressed with the City Council and there handling of a very tricky situation. As I stated last night arguing over beliefs is a tremendous waste of time. The State of Colorado voted to allow medical marijuana. We as a community need to decide how to best handle that situation and what requirements business such as these must follow. Many communities have taken an adult store approach requiring these business be located away from parks, schools, churches and residential areas. Other provisions ask for security doors, cameras, safes and lighting not only the business itself but adjacent streets. The robbery and burglary of these dispensaries is becoming a growing concern and guidelines such as this provide some protection for the patients, owners, employees and neighbors. This approach seems to be the model most Colorado communities are following. The City Council, City Manager and City Attorney have been proactive in working this problem and I personally have every confidence they will be able to regulate these businesses without offering Mr. Hadley a monopoly because he was able to open under the wire. I also hope that Mr. Hadley will fully comply with the cities requests once put in place. If he truly wishes to be a good neighbor and a strong community member I would expect nothing less from him.

Cyrus 5 years, 3 months ago

Alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than marijuana ever thought of being. For gods sake our for-fathers grew the stuff.This is backward hipocritical thinking Craig. I applaud Shaun Hadley, If not for his determination I would have to drive to Glenwood Spring or futher to obtain relief that is natural and non-toxic. Catch with the rest of the State , Craig

JAHM 5 years, 3 months ago

Thank you! someone else that feels that alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than marijuana! and this is coming from someone who does not do any recreational drugs nore drinks! I honestly feel that alcohol is a much worse and more dangerous substance than Pot will ever be! I think its great what Mr. Hadley is doing, and I do hope that he follows through on complying with what the city council comes up with, so that its a safe as possible situation not only for the community but also Mr. Hadley and his business. Why deny people who are in pain something that makes them cope with the pain better? I want to think that people who smoke pot for medical reasons are in a more aware and alert state than someone laid up on hardcore pain pills all day! Coming from someone with MS who deals with everything that comes with it being laid up on pain meds for a couple days or muscle relaxent pills to easy the pain when my MS flairs up im dead to the world for those couple days! I have no clue whats going on half the time because the medication is so strong! now could someone please tell me does pot have the same effect on someone? As far as I have seen from people who do smoke there is no where near those kind of side effects. Its just my opinion off of what I have felt on pain meds due to my medical situation and from people around me who have smoked marijuana.

thatdude 5 years, 3 months ago

Okay..how many of you anti-marijuana people smoke Cigarettes? Now..how many of you same people drink Alcohol?

Marijuana is much safer than both of these "DRUGS"..yes, they're drugs as well.

Don't try to judge people who smoke the Holy Herb, same as they don't judge you for drinking in excess or smoking a pack of cigarettes every day.

JAHM 5 years, 3 months ago

Thatdude: Amen!!!! you are right! it seems to be alright to be so S%*# faced in public you can barely walk, and its okay to chain smoke, yet its just so WRONG to smoke pot for medical reasons or for any other reasons! I understand the concern of parents with childern and around schools and family nieghborhoods it makes sense! and as long as all guidlines are met and Mr. hadley runs his business in the right way then whats there to whine about? it does not matter where you are at in the world people are always going to have access at any age to any kind of drug. You cant prevent the dealing and handling of drugs to any age of person 100% Its far more easy I would think for children to get ahold of alcohol and cigarettes than Pot. So once again Amen thatdude, and to all of you who are so against this give Mr. Hadley and the City a chance to make this as secure and safe as they can and see how it goes. When and even IF something happens after this chance has been givin then start trying to do something about it but until then please just try to have some faith in the city and Mr. Hadley that this will be handle in the most safe and responsible way as possible.

thatdude 5 years, 3 months ago

If all the anti-marijuana people put as much zeal and effort into thwarting the real drug problems such as Meth and Alcohol (drunk driving), instead of focusing on Cannabis, this town would be so much better off.

Some people in this town treat drunk driving like it's a sport, yet you don't hear people getting up in arms about it.

I think it was last year, 2008..when a New Year's Resolution question was asked in the Press...98% of people said they would not stop drinking.

Yet, when someone wants to open a legit business to help people acquire their 'meds', you treat them like a drug dealer! Gimme a break!

It's 2009, not 1945.

I think all the anti-marijuana people are shaking in their boots right about now...all because there are like, 12 people, who are going to have a place to buy their Holy Herb, legally.

Wapitipoker 5 years, 3 months ago

Other "Drug Dealers" in Craig:

Starbucks, Safeway, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Darkhorse, Stockmen's, The Mud Shack, City Market, The OP, Kum n Go, Smoker Friendly, Coke, Pepsi, Mathers, Carelli's, etc...

Too many to list. Some are very near parks and schools!

Wapitipoker 5 years, 3 months ago

I believe Smoker Friendly and Kum n Go have been robbed recently. Did we require them to install cameras, security doors? Where does this double standard come from?

lovely80477 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes we know alcohol is more dangerous, however, we also know what happened when they tried prohibition. Medical marijuana dispenseries should be treated like any other pharmacy. Do you see any pharmacists dispensing controlled substances (morphine, oxycontin etc.) from just another house down the street such as Mr. Hadley's. I believe Mr. Hadley and others should operate in a business district and maintain adequate security. I believe Smoker Friendly should have the same security as well.

maximus 5 years, 3 months ago

My name is Kirk and I moved here a month and a half ago to work for Larry Hill at the Apothecary. Let me say that when the opportunity arose the first thing I thought was woo woo party time. After I'd been here a few days Larry started taking me to visit his patients. Once again I said woo woo lets go party. Guess what? 90% of his patients are invalid. They have wheelchairs and walkers, fake limbs and prolonged hospital stays. A few CANNOT get out of bed. I have been exposed to the side of this that I didn't know existed. Now I cant speak for other dispensaries, but i know the man who helped get you one is not a "glorified drug dealer that found a loophole". Before he had glaucoma he didn't even smoke. He is here to help people, period. Just because someones son made the decision to work "11 miles underground" (and yes its a decision) don't be upset with people who are trying to help people. Cannabis has been helping people all over the world until about 70 years ago. Our founding fathers grew and used it for God's sake. I hear a lot of people worried about people getting cannabis illegally. All I can say is this, go into a bar or club (or just about anywhere) and ask if anyone has a painkiller. I'd be willing to bet someone will give (or sell) you one. I've had a couple of back surgeries. They had me on pain killers, muscle relaxers, stool softners and such. I was taking 9 pills a day and had to have them. A friend told me cannabis might help. It took the place of all those pills. Even with the pills i couldn't walk, but, after switching to pot I could actually walk. My doctor said "tough dookie, it's illeagal". So for a year I had to hide in the shadows, deal with shady people and always be in fear. All just to get relief without being hooked on pharms. You should be glad you live in a state that cares about you enough to allow medical cannabis.

thatdude 5 years, 3 months ago

Yup...God Almighty created Cannabis.

Man created alcohol, pharmacuticals, altered tobacco, and did a myraid of other things that kill people.

Who do you trust?

Seriously..when cannabis was made illegal, it was based on racism, lies, and fear. They said it was Turks, Spaniards and Negroes who used cannabis most often and committed horrendus crimes while under the influence of it. They lied and said it was harmful on your body and mind. They were afraid that cannabis and hemp, would cut into the profit margins of big companies.

If tobacco (not natural tobacco, but the altered tobacco) and alcohol were to be introduced today, they would most likely be illegal.

I myself have used the Holy Herb to alleviate some physical ailments after having a tumor removed from my left leg in 1998. Before I ever used cannabis, I was totally against it because I believed all the propoganda. Once I tried it, I felt all the pain in my leg, back, feet and shoulders disappear..I could move without crutches, I could sleep, I could eat..Cannabis is a wonder drug.

It's nice to know that there are just as many people for Cannabis as against it in Craig. I don't know exact numbers or anything, but after living here for 10 years, it's safe to say that there are a lot of cannabis lovers in Craig. Most of them are very good people too, I might add. It's not like they sit around all day smoking herbs though.

GreyStone 5 years, 3 months ago

GrandFutures,

"I continue to be impressed with the City Council and there handling of a very tricky situation."

WHAT are you talking about ?

In November of 2000, voters of the state of Colorado passed Amendment 20 to the state's constitution which effectively legalized medicinal marijuana and the City Council is just getting around to declaring a unanimously approved, emergency moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries Tuesday night.

Last NIGHT.

OK, they thought about it for almost nine years and now it is an emergency.

thatdude 5 years, 3 months ago

now that Craig has it's own MMJ dispensary, the only thing that can make it even better for these MMJ users is to have the prices come down a bit...I've heard stories of people being charged as high as $100 for an 1/8th in CO dispensaries.

Hadley is a pioneer here in Craig, no doubt about it. People should be applauding him for doing this and standing up for what he believes in.

Just think about it...all the tax revenue generated by this dispensary will be put back into Moffat County and not go to Routt or elsewhere.

MMJ Is A Good Thing

s_a_mercado 5 years, 3 months ago

My husband and I attended the workshop prior to last night's Council Meeting. Unfortunately, I was in too much pain to stay for the Council Meeting. We were so impressed with the openess of the workshop. The members of the Council were prepared and asked very specific questions. Citizens exchanged comments and questions without arguing. It was apparent that our Council really wanted to be informed and act in the best interest of our city. I find it hard to believe that such chaos occurred at the actual Council Meeting. I sincerely hope the Mayor and City Council continue to seek information concerning the need for Medical Marijuana and how important it is to the patients who use it. The people who shouted and disrupted the meeting did nothing at all to help their cause or our Council Members. We need to allow the Council time to study this issue and make a recommendation based on the needs of the ailing in our community and the laws of the state of Colorado. There is a Native American prayer that says, "Great Spirit, Grant that I not judge my brethren until I have walked one moon in his moccasins." To all who are so adamantly against this business I implore you to not judge the use of Medical Marijuana or the need for it until you take the time to see into the lives of the people who use it. You may be surprised to find that many of them are people who have turned to Cannibus as an absolute last resort. They are people who suffer in agonizing pain. Many are allergic to pain medications or have developed sensitivities to drugs. They are cancer patients, AIDS patients, people with MS, people with heart disease, people with Glaucoma. These are not people who are looking to get high. They are simply looking for a legal remedy for their debilitating ailment. Who are we to deny them what their physicians say they need and the law says they can have?

thatdude 5 years, 3 months ago

mercado - you are totally right.

that Native American prayer is a good way to put it in a different light.

medical mj users are not stoners, or potheads either...I recently had a cousin pass away from brain cancer and wish he could have had cannabis to ease the pain and suffering he endured.

it is interesting to note, however, that in the past year, the average age of Med MJ users in CO has dipped to 24...most of them citing 'chronic pain' as their qualifying ailment.

Henry_Round_Bottom 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey that dude - "The medical marijuana registry calculates and publishes statistics on the demographic breakdown of the people in the registry. Since the hearing, the department has completed additional analysis of the registry data base to better understand the source of the dramatic increase in the number of participants, which has more than doubled over just the past three months. Further assessment of the database also revealed that previously posted information about the average age of registrants, cited at the July 20 board meeting as 24 years of age, was in error. The correct average age is 41." This is an excerpt from the press release from the CDPHE. Just a little overlooked fact that the CDPHE dropped tha ball, and misreported the numbers, first time around. Check it out at http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/release/2009/073009.html

SoCoMMJ 5 years, 3 months ago

The good people of Colorado voted in the legality of medical marijuana for use in qualifying conditions. I doubt that they will be distributing it to the preschoolers so proximity to day care probably is not an issue. Patients will not be smoking bongs and huge joints in the parking lot. It's illegal to medicate in public places. Most every dispensary is so low key that the next door neighbors don't even know what the business is.

Where do people get that operating a medical marijuana dispensary in order to distribute to qualified and certified patients will turn your fair city into a drugged out pile of bodies. People must still be watching that old movie Reefer Madness.

It's really not like that. Not at all.

Give the sick and pain ridden a chance to help themselves with a natural [non pharmaceutical ] remedy. It's a plant for crying out loud.

Sumarjn 5 years, 3 months ago

"My name is Kirk and I moved here a month and a half ago to work for Larry Hill at the Apothecary. Let me say that when the opportunity arose the first thing I thought was woo woo party time."

The prevailing mindset of a medical pot head.

"woo-woo"...

This issue has never been about medical pot... Its about: "party time"!

als362 5 years, 3 months ago

I just don't think that this type of establishment is necessary.

DAILYREADER 5 years, 3 months ago

NO QUESTION THAT MEDICAL MARIJUANA CAN BE HELPFUL TO SOME INDIVIDUALS. HOWEVER, AT THIS POINT, REGARDLESS OF STATE OR LOCAL DECREES,, BY FEDERAL LAW THE USE OF IT IS ILLEGAL. JUST BECAUSE THE FEDS TURN THEIR HEADS DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

oldsage 5 years, 3 months ago

If someone needs this for medical purposes So-what! Let them have their medication. The real question I have is, How can a business with a clientele of 12 (only 12 certified for this medication in this county) make any money? Seems to me that the economics of this points elsewhere because by the time the owner pays for "the product" the rent, heat, lights, office supplies, workers compensation insurance, liability insurance, and the soon to be required Obama-care health insurance, where is the profit?

GreyStone 5 years, 3 months ago

Oldsage,

My sentiments also, and why not just make Marijuana legal then where is the profit in Craig Apothecary business plan. Last of all, do not forget the Federal and State tax on this business with twelve potential customers.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 3 months ago

I believe that if medical marijuana is being treated as, in essence, a prescription drug, it should be controlled and dispensed by licensed pharmacists.

No offense to Shaun, but I can't just open up a pharmacy in my garage and start filling prescriptions willy-nilly without the proper degree. The same logic should apply here.

GreyStone 5 years, 3 months ago

DAILYREADER,

In November of 2000, voters of the state of Colorado passed Amendment 20 to the state's constitution which effectively legalized medicinal marijuana and voids the Federal Controlled Substances Act making Colorado State medicinal marijuana legal under the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution. I think..

Sumarjn 5 years, 3 months ago

Looks like Larry Hill and Shawn Hadley had their sights on Craig for some time? I'd even bet a "Happy Lawyer" was part of this package deal? [Craig is mentioned towards the end of this story]

daybyday 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with medical marijuana because I don't think people in chronic and debilitating pain should have to suffer in pain just because there is no alternative when, evidentally, there is an alternative. It's interesting to note, however, that most of these dispensaries seem to be offering mental health counseling and/or addiction counseling. Since none of them I have researched appear to be studied or licensed therapists or counselors, they may be biting off more than they can chew and there may be a train wreck coming.

TRAVISSELAN 5 years, 3 months ago

who cares what we all think? the law is what matters and this is the way it was set up . if you dont like it tell your goverment rep. And you are right with only 12 currently registered were is the profit? who cares it not my investment or yours nor would i persume to tell Mr. Hadley what to do with his money or what to invest in.

melonie barrett 5 years, 3 months ago

sitting here smoking this fine joint makes me laugh at it all,,,fed laws are pute there because our federal goverment is some of the biggest druggies,,read up there involvment in south america lmao i wish i could smoke this withall of you,,,you would be way happier,,,have a good night all you tight wads

GreyStone 5 years, 3 months ago

People,

Consider this previous post, before you do your first joint:.

Marvin 5 years, 3 months ago

I would just like to state that the city of Craig had NINE years to do something about Medical Marijuana Dispensaries. it is NOT something that just sprang up, And , what some peole forget, is that the issue of cannabis being medically beneficial has already been decided, 9 years ago. I encourage people that have time, to evalutate scientific data on marijuana, and review medical reports pertaining to its relevance. They might see a flaw in their unwavering opinion of 'pot'. Craig's moral fiber is not going to crumble the second a sick person uses THC. It is not going to effect you if your neighbor is a medical cannabis user, just the same as it wouldnt effect you if your neighbor took maxolt for their chronic migranes. Live and let live. Judge not. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stone....( you see where I am going?) The oppositional statements & opinions are behind the times (by almost 10 YEARS), the Craig Apothecary is open, so wasting time complaining isnt going make it dissapear. It just fuels the issue further and gives them more free press, which I am sure they dont mind at all. :)

lostyermarbles 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with JAHM about controling yourself in these meetings as when you conduct your self as happened in this one you threw the whole thing out of whack. I still laugh at patrick and the "what do I tell him" to his son-n-law.. He obviously is not a child if he is working at the mine. I wonder if this one will be taken off as the last one....