Sean Davis: More diversity needed

Every Friday, this paper prints an article of a religious nature.

As best I can tell, it seems that these articles are from diverse sects, as if to show a sense of "religious tolerance." This showing is, however, deeply flawed.

This "tolerance" seems only to extend to diverse ways of believing in Jesus Christ.

Every time that I look through the paper and find this religious section, I am reminded, again and again, of an attitude of arrogance expressing some sort of superiority in Christian beliefs. Several times, I have come across the suggestion that, regardless of how nonbelievers behave, we aren't as good as Christians.

Quite frankly, this is offensive. The quality of an individual cannot be defined based on the religion whose symbols attract them.

This community includes a far more diverse set of religious and spiritual ideas. There are many local pagans, atheists, and agnostics, each possessed of our own sources of inspiration and spirituality.

(Granted, the atheists don't express it as spiritual, but I have heard atheists express ideas every bit as spiritual as anything I've heard from a more religious source.)

We contribute every bit as much, individually, as any individual Christian does.

Yet, every week, we are belittled and degraded by the endless propaganda of the most publicly endorsed of religions.

I would be most delighted to see some acknowledgment of non-Christian views granted at least occasional consideration in this publication.

We are a smaller portion of the community, and I don't expect to take up even half the space or time of the community's dominant religion.

However, I do expect to be treated with respect in a forum as public as a newspaper.

Sean Davis

Comments

als362 4 years, 8 months ago

Why don't you write your own article and send it to the paper, ask if they will print it.

grannyrett 4 years, 8 months ago

Sean--I don't care much for sports, so seldom read the sports articles. I wouldn't in my wildest dreams dare to write the paper and ask them to discontinue writing it's sports columns. I don't read Dear Abby either-Hey paper-you want to quit running that column? It's fine by me if you don't believe in God. Don't read the religious articles. It's that easy. As you admitted--you are part of a small group. Don't sweat the small stuff. Read what you want, but allow those of us who do believe in God to read and study His word. This paper does not FORCE you to read any article you don't want to. You are nit-picking about something that really doesn't effect you in any way. I enjoy reading these articles, and so do many others. You have the freedom in this country to ready what you want-and we have the freedom to ignore your atheism.

als362 4 years, 8 months ago

To SeanDavis; Since the posts you wrote were printed here, it appears to me that you do have your voice.

CindyLou 4 years, 8 months ago

Granny,

I am going to back you up a little on your argument too. I see the sports page covers football, baseball, golf, hockey, etc. How come they don't cover water polo, cricket, or lacrosse? Oh that's right, because 95% of the people in this area don't play those sports. 95% of the population here does have a christian herrritage or does practice a christ centered faith. So when they do articles on reglion they focus on the christian faith because that's what most of us are. If the paper ran around trying to cover every little idea that fell out of tree and called itself a belief system they would have to hire more reports to write articles 95% of wouldn't read anyways.

SeanDavis 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm not going to bother arguing any of this, as online arguments seem to inevitably go nowhere. However, I would like to clarify a couple of matters, including my own position on this subject. I have no interest in the discontinuation of the Christian publications. As I have discussed with the paper since submitting the above letter, I would be happy to submit articles for publication on behalf of those who share similar beliefs to my own. However, we'll see if such a thing becomes a reality or no; I've only had a brief preliminary discussion of the matter, and have yet to learn the submission requirements of the paper. These things take time.

Secondly, I am not an atheist. I am a pagan, with spiritual beliefs and practices of my own which I am very proud of. And, I will not choose to ignore anything, as I find ignorance to be highly undesirable. I prefer to be as aware as possible. Whether or not I like something is irrelevant. Does an avalanche care whether you ignore it? Ignore something or not, it is still there.

I have no interest in offending or upsetting anyone, but I believe that everyone in our community, whether they be a minority or not, should have a voice. Thus, I would love to see the Christian articles continue to appear, but I hope to see them accompanied by articles from a wider array of spiritual paths, owing to the fact that we truly have a very spiritually diverse community.

CindyLou 4 years, 8 months ago

Sean,

How about you start your own paper? Or maybe a news letter? Oh wait how about a blog? huh? how does a blog sound? yeah a blog, where never have so many, said so much, about so little, for so few to read. You would have dozens of readers from all over the world, just think of it!

daybyday 4 years, 8 months ago

Sean,

Whether you prefer to call it a discussion or argument is really irrelavant, but you should know that if you do make an public argument in opposition to Christianity in any type of public forum in which you stated yourself to be a mostly Christian nation, you should also be prepared to defend (discuss or argue) your position.

I think it's helpful to understanding Christianity (and therefore Christian logic) by understanding some of the basic fundamentals in which they strive to live. For example, if a person believes in the word of God written in the Bible, he also believes that he is instructed (commanded) to learn the word of God in order to be able to contend for his faith. We believe there is a difference between what seems fair, and what is truth, and we are prepared and enabled to defend it.

It may also be helpful to understand that Christians who believe in God and the Bible, also believe that we are called to spread the word of God to all nations. This is what is commonly called the Great Commission and can be found in Matthew 28:18-20.

Furthermore, preachers and teachers such as those who write letters or sermons to the newspaper, believe they are purposefully called (commanded or appointed) to teach in order to build the body of Christ (the church). All I'm trying to explain is that preachers and teachers not only probably enjoy teaching about God, but they believe they must.

I sincerely hope you don't take any of this into offense, as none was intended. I truly do wish you the very best in your walk through life, which is sometimes confusing and a struggle for us all. I do agree with you that you can't ignore a volcano! There have been many atheists and agnostics who, through studying the Bible in order to disprove it, themselves became Christians (C.S. Lewis being one of the most notable). Maybe you will take the chance also, because you said yourself you strive to be as aware as possible, and certainly what is not true can't harm you?

Isis 4 years, 8 months ago

Sean,

I appreciate your thoughts. I do not see any words written by you that created such uproar. I am somewhat embarrassed that my fellow posters decided they needed to attack your thoughts regarding diversity.

Diversity is what makes our nation a wonderful place. The freedom to choose one's own spiritual and religious beliefs was one of the principles of this country's birth.

I personally agree with you. However, we are not the clear majority in this community. The paper will always choose to print what is in the majority's interest. It's sad that we will not be exposed to any kind of diversity in this setting.

taxslave 4 years, 8 months ago

I only know "in name only" christians..most of them are pagens and probably don't think about it...example....

If you voted for obama you are NOT a christian since he is advocate of abortion as well as late term.

If you rent/view violent /semi nude movies and games you are not a christian.....garbage in/garbage out.

You are to love your neighbor as Christ loved you.

Jesus told the soldiers in the book of Luke to do no violence towards anyone.

There will be gnashing of teeth.