John Kinkaid: Going 'green'

Going 'green'

Nearly every company is jumping onto the "green" bandwagon. Green laundry detergent, green cars. You name it, it's green.

The average person in the U.S. really wants to do the right thing, and we have admirable intentions. Ours is a great country filled with people striving to make their lives better and to leave this world a better place for their children and generations to come.

But, there are people taking advantage of our desire to have clean air and water. In the 19th century and the last century, the U.S. did have environmental problems that needed to be addressed.

They were addressed.

But now, clean is not clean enough. Now, human activity must be controlled, manipulated and capped. Green has become a rationale for this increase in control over the populous. Green has become the trump card to jam down tighter controls and a poorer lifestyle, instead of a better way of life.

Here's an excerpt from a March 30 Associated Press article: "Xcel Energy continues to lay the foundation for what is thought to be the nation's first 'smart-grid' city. The utility has installed about 15,000 residential 'smart meters' in Boulder. : The meters provide two-way communication to the utility and to customers. Customers with smart meters can monitor their energy use and when combined with programmable thermostats : control their use."

My mother and stepdad signed up for a time of day electric rate back in the 1990s, to save money. You could not find two more frugal people than them. They lived through the Great Depression. My stepdad would cut off the end of a toothpaste tube in order to scrape the last of it out. They could pinch a penny hard enough to make it squeal. They were ideal candidates for a time of day electricity rate.

No children at home. Minimal laundry, dishwasher usage and cooking. No computer. Minimal everything.

They could not make the time of day electric rate work. It wasn't worth the hassle. Laundry and cooking done before 8 a.m., or after 10 p.m., or there was a penalty charge. Go over on your meter at the wrong time of day and the scrimping the rest of the month was negated.

Is that how you want to spend your retirement? Is that how you want to live now? For real life families with children, it is just not practical. There is an environmental organization in Boulder that is lobbying for residential power to be cut off to smart-grid homes, when needed. Consumers would agree to it, when they sign up.

Large amounts of solar, wind and nuclear power are not economical and practical at this time. And your electric bill will go way up to pay for this inefficiency in the future.

Our current standards provide us with clean air and water, and they don't need to be ratcheted down. Carbon dioxide restrictions are silly. We naturally exhale carbon dioxide. It's how the environment works.

John Kinkaid

Comments

DONTTREADONME 5 years, 5 months ago

The go-green is nothing but a smoke screen to get more gov control. the atmoshpere has only 1% co2 but they say that is climate change, did the dinos. drive SUV's or have masive power plants during the melting of the ice age

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah....let's just do nothing and by the way. I suppose that every legetimate science study is fabricated and bogus. Oh...no....this sounds more like Fat Boy Drug Addict Rush Limbaugh's B.S.

Look. It's been proven that climate change is a fact. And further...why are you worried about Excel? Craig gets power from where? YAMPA VALLEY POWER! Smart grids doesn't have anything to do with the government spying on you or it's some kind of liberal conspiracy. It has everyting to do with living within our means.

Look at it this way. Where does the majority of energy waste occur in homes. 70% of available energy of all kinds...is wasted by homes built before 1973. I'll put it another way. We changed out every single incadescent light bulb over to compact fluorescent bulbs. With Energy Star rated appliances already in the house...these C.F.B's reduced our electric bill by nearly 50%. 50%! Further....it's a known fact that there's about 20% of electric usage nationwide that is vampire. You do know what vimpires are...right? Cell phone chargers left plugged in after charging your cell phone...computers left on standby...t.v.'s sucking power even when turned off ( Power Strips needed you see!) etc. Proven fact.....all homes and business changes over to CFB's and power usage in the U.S. dumps by 70%. 70%%%!!!

So....what are you two worried about? Just change over to CFB's and use power strips. You'll not be inconvienienced one ounce. Further.....there is no sense in the mindset, that we as humans and our activities hasn't caused proven changes in the climate. How selfish and conceited of the human race or you or I to think that it's not our problem. Which in fact you both pretty much said as much.

I for one...since one of you is so damning of Excel....I do not enjoy paying out money that I'd rather spend on food or whatever. And did you fellers know that with the production of thin filmed votaic cells...we all will be able to actually afford solar electric? This promises to drop the price tag on solar down to around 10% of current costs and we'll be able to buy these at Lowe's and Home Depot? Solar air heating is so simple you can build an air panel yourself and save 40% of heating cost for around a $300 investment? How much did it cost for either one of you to heat your home last winter?

So....your arguments are ridiculous and profoundly Rush Limbaugh. And you do know he is an admitted drug addict...right?

Can'tstand, yes we do get our electric from Yampa Valley Electric and they get their power from......EXCEL! That is a true story. They get their electric from the Hayden Station which is run by Excel/Public Service.

You are correct in stating the new light bulbs save energy and money, but boy I hate those things. They just aren't bright enough. But bright enough or not, we have been replacing the old bulbs as needed with the new stuff.

taxslave 5 years, 5 months ago

if you read your package on those new lightbulbs you will see they are filled with mercury and if they break ?

Ray Cartwright 5 years, 5 months ago

Not to mention the mercury that they add to our landfills and ground water.

calvinhobbs 5 years, 5 months ago

It is a matter of give and take. The average CFL has 1.8 mg of Hg(Mercury) for an incandescent bulb it will use and average of 5.8 mg Hg from coal burning plants. In the near future LED bulbs will be cheaper, and no Hg. If you do have CFL's when they burn out, send them to a recycling center. If you break one, check out http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

TrueFreedom 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah! Screw the Environment! I don't know about you but I love mercury in my drinking water and chemicals in the air I breath. Who cares about this place anyways, after all most of us will not be around to see our great grandchildren. Why should we leave them with a clean planet if I can save a few dollars?

taxslave 5 years, 5 months ago

I will never believe this crap. Not with Al Gore and his partners in crime flying around the world on a daily basis. Chemicals daily being sprayed in our air and dumped in our waters. Don't serve your kool-aid to me.

Oh, and another thing....What about all those darn xmas lights everyone had all over the place? Give me a break.

As for me...100% off grid is the answer.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

For any of you that really want to help....CFB's are being developed that contain no mercury and will be available soon if not already....and besides...how much murcury do you think are in the CFB's?? Not much.

Again.....what are you some of you worried about??!!! In Austrialia...ordinary light bulbs have been outlawed. Gezzz...and this from a country that is notoriously rightwinged!! Damn bunch of commies!!!! They don't have a clue what they're doing outlawing incadescient light bulbs. Except that it appears climate change has placed that continent in a permanant drought. Oh well.....who cares...not our problem. Or is it??!!

calvinhobbs....hang in there. It appears you have it 100% correct.

Taxslave....the CFB's are "filled" with murcury?....?....!!!!!! Contain some yes. For now.

Yes lonelyone...I'm very much aware of how we get our electrical power. It's just not wise to get all excited thinking that all of us will have to deal with random powEr outages or have to be told to turn off some appliance for a few hours.

Every progressive movement towards a goal isn't going to be smooth sailing at the start. But I'll remind all that we're seeing a steady rise in the cost of gasoline....AGAIN!! Big Oil knows how to tweek the mindset of the populace. Relax the price of crude...for a spell....then hit again. I'm sick of being tied to a commodity that is produced from the ground that in truth...belongs to all of us!! Just as natural gas is right under our feet...and under the surface of public land. We are being held hostage by a greedy bunch of worthless corporate idiots that I just as soon see hung by the neck til dead!! And they call themselves True Americans. B.S!!!!!

I choose to start looking at ways to produce my own power and heating. And I have already started with this actually. Unless you just love Excel or Exxon or BP or Chevron, etc. I don't and I'll do whatever I can to stop wasting energy that doesn't come from clean sources or from commodity related sources.

Time to change people...the easy ride is over. Just the way it is.

taxslave 5 years, 5 months ago

100% off grid to keep the money on my side...that's all. Oh yeah, and sold the extra car.

taxslave 5 years, 5 months ago

Did you know that a 42" plasma tv uses more electricity than a large refrigerator.

California has introduced the anti-tv legislation. They want everyone to replace their tv's. What's worse...they want someone to come up with the technology of whatever and they only have x amount of time to do it in.

I've also seen legislation than bans cars older than 10 yrs off the road.

Again, can't make this stuff up.

the Calif. ban on certain tv's sounds like what we are going through now with the digital stuff and everyone needing a box, a special antenna, a dish or cable. I feel that it was all some kind of gimic and everyone went out and bought new tvs. How much of that crap eneded up in the city dumps? Such a waste and so crazy to put everyone through this. What ever happened to free over the air tv? Oh wait, I live in Craig, there is no such thing......thank you county commissioners!

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes indeed taxslave. Those big nice big screen plasma's use the juice. But again...you hit it correct. Live off the grid. It's called freedom from legal piracy. And not just with electricity. As I pointed out...let's not be under the thumb of big oil or big gas. It's just not that complicated to heat your house using a solar fluid heater and build a heat storage vault....which is nothing more than a series of fluid storage tanks (And not large tanks mind you!! But well insulated of course) and have your house well insulated, like mine is. Sprayed in closed cell. I swear it's amazing stuff!! Anyways, if you have the space, and many of us do, growing certain plants that yield a high amount of oil by cold pressing the seeds, such a flax...and certain other plants that there is a rather ridiculous law against called hemp. That's the plant that the DuPont's and the Rockerfellers and the Hearst's got banned back in the 1930's because these greedy slobs had a lot of money invested in oil stocks and chemical stocks and such. As in the case of the DuPont's...they were the chemical plant owners and oil processers!! You know, the DuPont's. Google up the Hemp Mobile, that car maker Henry Ford had and he even saw what was coming with just a few people holding the keys to our everyday lifestyle and transportation means.

I for one am sick and tired of being held hostage to a commodity just because that's the norm. If I have to pour horse urine in my fuel tank to drive, you can bet I will. Of course that's a ridiculous notion, but, if Uncle Sam thinks it's gonna stop me from growing a plant that you cannot get high on no matter how much you smoke....EVER....well....they had just better get on with locking me up!! Cause I don't smoke and I want to pour processed hemp oil in my fuel tank!! But you see, if I processed grain or such into ethanol....well now that's just A.O.K!!!!! Brew some Booze and Uncle Sam has no proplem...unless you sell it!! See how we're being held hostage?!

PEACE

P.S. to loneleyone. Yeah...free T.V.....except you would still have the puritan overseers telling us you can hear this but not that...or you can watch this but not that. That's the government interferring with your life more than having us switch over to digital T.V. I like watching what I want and nobody has a right to tell me and you or anyone how to live our live's. Agree? I believe that as Europe is doing, we "SHOULD" start using natural gas as a motor fuel nationwide!!! But regulate the price of natural gas so as to stop the commodity pirates!! But then you'd have government intervention.