TMH building delayed

Contractors must receive licensure before work begins

At a glance

• Work on The Memorial Hospital new site delayed Monday.

• Two contractors must receive city licensure before drilling for foundational piers can begin, said Dave Costa, Craig community development director.

• Drilling and pier installation to support foundation estimated to last between four and six weeks.

• TMH also waiting for U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to guarantee loan for new hospital.

Plans to begin the next stage of constructing a new hospital temporarily stalled Monday.

Workers were scheduled to begin drilling holes today for piers that will support the foundation for The Memorial Hospital's new facility.

However, that plan "came to a halt" Monday, said Dave Costa, Craig community development director.

The city has a partial permit ready for TMH, which would allow drilling work to begin for pier installation. Drilling would mark the next step in building a $42.6 million hospital that voters approved to pay half of in November 2007.

"The dilemma (TMH has) is that their people have not followed the licensing criteria for the city of Craig," Costa said.

A plumbing contractor responsible for the tap application at the site must first receive licensure through the city. Similarly, a structural concrete contractor has yet to receive city licensure.

The latter contractor hasn't passed the city's structural concrete exam.

"I cannot authorize (drilling for piers) to happen until we get the licensing squared away," Costa said.

Attempts to get ready for drilling have been ongoing for 12 weeks.

"Now that it's come down to the time to get it done, everyone's scrambling," Costa said.

The delay wasn't good news to Costa.

"I would love to get this project started," he said.

On Monday, George Rohrich, TMH chief executive officer, said that he hadn't heard drilling could be delayed because the contractors haven't received city licensure, adding that he hadn't spoken with the project's superintendent since early that morning.

Rohrich plans to meet with the supervisor with the company overseeing the project today to see if drilling can begin as planned.

"I hope so, but we'll see," he said.

Monday wasn't the first time drilling has been delayed. Plans to install the piers have been put on hold in the past, Rohrich said, because "mobilizing forces and supplies" haven't gone according to plan.

The hospital could now face another temporary setback.

"I have expected (drilling to begin) before now," he said. "We just need to move through the process one step at a time (and) get it done."

Once work gets started on the site, however, Rohrich predicts remaining steps will go smoothly.

"When drilling starts, the work will never stop," he said.

More than 200 piers will connect the foundation to bedrock beneath it. The work is estimated to last between four and six weeks.

In the interim, TMH hopes to receive final word from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development that the agency will commit to, in essence, co-signing its loan.

Rohrich said he expects to get HUD's response by the time the piers are installed.

Bridget Manley can be reached at 875-1795 or bmanley@craigdailypress.com

Comments

50cal 5 years, 11 months ago

Sooo they can't pass an exam for a license? these are the contractors you want building your new multimillion dollar hospital? where is accountability going to come in? this thing is going to be a piece of crap from the outset!

grannyrett 5 years, 11 months ago

What the heck is going on? The approval for this passed almost a year ago and this still isn't off the ground? This is crazy! All summer when work could have been going on, and nothing is done? The loan isn't even approved? Get off your duff's and get this thing off the ground. George-Thought you had this all figured out. Shame on you.

redneckgirl 5 years, 11 months ago

"When drilling starts, the work will never stop," he said. What if the loan doesn't get approved???? We'll have some great piers for the deer to look at!

STANHATHHORN 5 years, 11 months ago

Correction, there is drilling equipment on the hill.

STANHATHHORN 5 years, 11 months ago

Taxslave, You're right, TMH claimed that construction crews were standing by, "chomping at the bit to turn the engines on". That news article was 6/21/08. Here we are 9/09/08 and "Workers were scheduled to begin drilling holes today for piers that will support the foundation for TMH new facility". But, as of 9/08/08 George Rohrich CEO of TMH said he hadn't heard drilling could be delayed because the contractors haven't received city licensure So, this is apparently twice that contractors were a day away from commencing drilling (200) 18 inch caissons to stabilize the site. In either case, it didn't appear that contractors were on site to commence work.

grannyrett 5 years, 11 months ago

Contractors can't pass test for license, loan isn't approved, work is no where near starting, winter will soon be here. What else aren't we being told?

craiggirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Here we go. It's always the same with you people.

Craig_gal 5 years, 11 months ago

???? what are you talking about it craiggirl? I think everyone is just making comments on an article that was written.
wait..........are we going about this forum all wrong?

irishbrat 5 years, 11 months ago

If you don't like it craig girl then don't read our comments. It's identity theft on the CDP forum...hahaha...(no harm to you craig_gal..although you don't know it, we go back a long way).

Cole White 5 years, 11 months ago

This is just a typical example of how this hospital's management group doesn't know what they are doing. I think they were all used car salesman before they got these jobs (except for maybe Sam), but Sam why aren't you supplying the community more information? Do you fear the only information you could give would be made up so you refuse to give out any? I seriously question the ethics of this CEO. Where is the board in all of this? Are they just pattsies? Are they just a bunch of "yes" men and women? Craig residents need to seriously wake up and ask WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?" Way too much BS is taking place in that hospital. They are firing long time qualified employees and replacing them with out cause. They are burning up money like it was water and no construction has began. I bet Stan is right. They will have millions in cost over runs in this project and all they will say is "it was unforseen" or "how could we have known" Hey try reading the paper and the forum. We are telling you what you are doing wrong and no one is listening.

I just pray my taxes won't have to be increased when this project comes up short and the county has to step in and pay the balance because of the hospital's incompetence.

taxslave 5 years, 11 months ago

The article of June 21 clearly states that the hospital is liable for the money if the funds aren't made available.

Does this mean the tax payer gets their money back? I don't know. Someone should call Razanno and ask him.

redneckgirl 5 years, 11 months ago

The longer they draw this out the more off budget they are going to be. Construction materials flucuate every day, i see it constantly in my job. Will they just call them change orders instead of line item overages?

Craig_gal 5 years, 11 months ago

hwy, you seem to know quite a bit about TMH (elk pooping, deer squatting....whatever else 50 cal has named it) so tell me, is it really as bad as the community is being led to believe? I was hoping that if we voted the approval for the new hospital and we continue to get great doctors ( i have heard dr ellis is really good) than maybe Craig could start providing care to EVERYONE. currently the only places that will serve all of Moffat county regardless of age or income is the Visiting Nurse (VNA) and doctors in steamboat springs. I voted for the building because I want my parents and children to be able to access full care here in moffat county.

50cal 5 years, 11 months ago

um that would be a bear eating a elk pooping on a deer peeing on a run over praire dog on the way to wyoming leave us alone Memorial hospital.

grannyrett 5 years, 11 months ago

I can't remember it long enough to say it three times. ;o)

Craig_gal 5 years, 11 months ago

whew... Thanks for clarifying 50.
oh, by the way. Just so everyone knows. We are serious about that name change ;-)

Cole White 5 years, 11 months ago

I use to have some association with Sam when she worked for the Press. I think she is probably doing as good a job as she is able considering the circumstance. My doctor is in Steamboat because he specializes in Diabetes, so I make the drive. That coupled with the fact that Memorial has an ER doc that is more likely to kill you then save you if you have chest pain makes me weary about going there. Not to say that I haven't had my share of blood work done at the hospital and I have had lots of family members go there with good results, but that shows a competent staff and NOT competent leadership. Giving the CEO credit for good nursing or laboratory services would be like giving George Bush credit for a soldier's effort in Iraq.

I have two family members and a half dozen friends and neighbors who work at the hospital and everyone tell me how bad their management is there. Having been involved in City government in the past it really eats me up to see how poorly things are being managed and no city or county officials are stepping up to look beyond the double talk and handshakes. As near as I can tell from third party conversations, the hospitals own board doesn't even trust what they are being told so how can we? Something to think about.

Craig_gal 5 years, 11 months ago

Where's Randy? hmmmm, think the board members have 20/20 hindsight. When you have great direction and wonderful leadership why, oh why, would you as a board not listen to someone just because they have a different opinion than you?

taxslave 5 years, 11 months ago

The hospital gets to do whatever it wants to with the 1 mil the votes gave it....even if they don't get the bonds. They can do with it as they see fit to meet their goal and NO, the taxpayer gets no refund but rather pays it again next year.

How does that make all of you feel.

This was said in the assessors office today.

CindyLou 5 years, 11 months ago

I post so seldom on this forum. I enjoy reading the posts, but why do I feel so compeled to post on these hospital issues? Oh that's right, as a small business owner my taxes double so I could help fund people who couldn't manage a 7-11. I find it ironic that two home grown country bumpkins like my husband and i could manage to build not only our house, but put major additions on our business in the last 10 years with out a single glitch, but the hospital can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Stan and Hwy seem to provide really good information. I would appreciate it if one or both wrote letters to the editor and presented more information to the public, since the hospital only provides what little they do when they are forced to admit they've done something wrong, by the press.

xrsareus 5 years, 11 months ago

It should not be up to Stan and Hwy. But I think a investigative (not one sided ) story from the paper is in order. Talk to the hospitial board, county commissoners, the hospitial CEO, HUD, everyone else involved. Come on Daily Press, Do you have the balls??? OK how about KRAI? Or are you both afraid!!!!