Verdict reached in Culverwell trial

— Rodney Culverwell, 41, a Moffat County rancher, was convicted Friday evening on 16 of 80 poaching charges filed by the 14th Judicial District Attorney's Office.

He was convicted on four of 16 counts of the following charges: Willful destruction of big game, a class 5 felony; illegal possession of wildlife, a misdemeanor; hunting without a license, a misdemeanor; and hunting out of season, a misdemeanor.

The jury did not convict Culverwell on any of the 16 counts of waste of edible game meat.

His sentencing is scheduled for 1 p.m Nov. 4. A possible sentence could include jail time, fine, parole and/or hunting license suspensions.

For more information read the Saturday Morning Press on news stands by 8am Saturday.

Comments

Tencman 6 years, 1 month ago

You "know" this because he went to school with your brother?

Neal Harkner 6 years, 1 month ago

Because the Daily Press didn't mention it, each of the 4 felony counts alone carries a 1-3 year prison sentence and a 1,000-100,000 fine.

lonelyone 6 years, 1 month ago

And you have said many times that you fed those deer on your front lawn which is suppose to be a no-no! And now what, we should feel sorry for you too. Were you protecting your property by doing so? Maybe you should get real on this issue. I'm not saying things didn't get crazy over this issue. And I have no problems with him shooting elk that werre tangled up in his fence. For Snow to suggest that he just go to the other side of the fence and cut them loose is a joke. But Tax, he did break the law in some of this and just because certain judges let many drug dealers off on lighter sentences, doesn't mean Mr. Culverwell should have the same thing happen. And you know what, in a round about way he did get off much easier. He was only sentenced with16 counts out of 80 in all of this.

huntenmomma 6 years, 1 month ago

Good, justice served! I have known Rodney most of his life, he went to school with my brother and I "know" this is "not" the first time he has done this.

taxslave 6 years, 1 month ago

As dozens of mama deers with their babies roam the streets of Craig daily, amazing.

I sure hope he appeals. What a joke for many of you to openly regect "your" right to protect your property.

I say get rid of snow and ohare....they let the drug dealers go but don't protect the tax paying citizen.

As far as the self rigteous.....some only know how to feel better about themselves by tearing down others.

I will be calling both Allard and Salazar on this fiasco. I spoke out all winter about the failure of the DOW to respond. I had 50 head on my front lawn all winter.

Open your eyes, wake up from your sleep. Our courts just took down a good guy with a good cause.

If I did something wrong when I was a kid (which I probably did), does that mean, as a grandparent, that I never learned anything while growning up?

Get real.

huntenmomma 6 years, 1 month ago

Tencman No I don't "know" this just because he went to school with my brother. I know this because I know him and his family, and there is alot more I "know" about him than what came out in court or this paper. I feel bad for his parents because they are really good people.

taxslave 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey, if it's about breaking laws...what about the Bush Administration....thye've been breaking laws for years....immigration laws, torture laws, etc....

don't give me this "broke the law" crapola, ok?

btw, the East Kum & Go was robbed at knife point on Friday at 3 pm.

yepper, it's getting interesting out here and most of the population is asleep.

Tencman 6 years, 1 month ago

Huntenmomma, If you "knew for a fact" of this beforehand, why are you just now volunteering information in a public forum? You may have prevented this whole situation. Aren't you sure that the first 4 words of your last post were probably the most accurate?

lonelyone 6 years, 1 month ago

Tax, don't bring Bush into it either. We're not talking about Bush here, he wasn't he one on trial. And he's not the first President to break laws. You dislike him alot and I'm not saying he's the best President we've ever had, but since no one has brought charges against him there's not a damn thing we can do about it yet. To bad about K & G. I hope no one was hurt.

taxslave 6 years, 1 month ago

Charges on the way.....btw, it's the presidential administration(s) that has defunded everything.....including the DOW, the FDA, USDA, CPSC, you name it....now the transportation fund is broke and all road projects for the rest of this year and next are cancelled.

Neither Culverwell or DOW was the point....it was the point that one can protect their own property...and WE ALL JUST LOST.......wake up and don't tell me what I can and can not do. I've had enough.

buck523 6 years, 1 month ago

So....the "make my day law" goes into effect when the elk are in your hay? Interesting. There are many other ways to protect your property without going on a shooting rampage with the elk. My guess is that the options that were available were not all used. When you hate the government, you are not going to rely on them to do anything and will take the matters into your own hands. Personally, I think the "protecting your property" reasoning is crap because there are many legal ways this could have been done without shooting all the elk through the new redneck version of the "make my day law".

John_Doe 6 years, 1 month ago

This post is for all the guys that are feeling sorry for Rodney thinking this was just a rancher protecting his property...... First of all let me say that this shooting spree he went on was just the tip of the ice berg. Spring, summer. winter, and fall he anialated wild game. He has access to some 30,000 acres where no one ever goes except him and his good ole boys. The number of antelope and elk that were killed just because there was something to shoot at is unbelievable. And I'm sure a lot of you won't believe me, but it's true. In this instance he may have been shooting them to preserve his hay, but believe me the other few hundred had nothing to do with hay. So don't feel sorry for him. He truly is a criminal. Someday some of the "non bleievers" should take a trip in the back pastures of the Culverwell property and count how many skeletons are there. You will also find many dogs and cats too. My children can even tell you their names and how he destroyed them because "this is the ranch life" and we were "supposed to get used to it." We didn't.

allen13 6 years, 1 month ago

Tencman & Taxslave - I sure hope the DOW is keeping an eye on your ranches!! Maybe you'll be the next to be prosecuted, if I'm reading between the lines right, you've done your own share of 'protecting your property'. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has mentioned the BS wilfull destruction of wildlife that Rodney has done over the years. You people who don't believe he has done those wrongs, then you should wake up! I hope Rodney goes to jail and while he's sitting there, I'm sure he wont even reflect on what he has done to all those animals as wrong, because he's so twisted. Every citizen (rather a rancher or not) has the right to protect your property. However, Tencman & Taxslave - this was not about protecting his property. If it was, truly, he wouldn't have been charged. He got off way easy. He would've been convicted of more if he wouldn't have hid the guns that would have matched up with the bullets in the other bodies. My hat is off to Snow, the DOW, and the Jury for at least making him accountable for a few of the wrongs he has done.

gobroncos 6 years, 1 month ago

Rodney made his choice to pull the trigger mutilple times. Nobody made him do it. Now the jury made their deicision which undoubtedly was a very difficult one. However, it is our country's process to prove innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. Well the jury found him guilty of breaking the law. Now it is time for Rodney to face the reprecussions of HIS actions. I don't know about the rest of the posters on this site but I'm really sick of hearing about the DOW did this and the DOW did that from his attorney. If Rodney would have taken the plea agreement he would not be in the hot seat that he chose to be in. It's unfortunate that his family has to suffer the consequences because of his poor judgement. It's time to move on....as the old saying goes "we reap what we sow". Sorry, but I'm over it he broke the law.