Our View: What took DA's office so long?


Craig Editorial Board

  • Bryce Jacobson, newspaper representative
  • Jennifer L. Grubbs, newspaper representative
  • Bridget Manley, newspaper representative
  • Allan Reishus, community representative
  • Chris Runyan, community representative
  • Ken Wergin, community representative

Sometimes it takes a successful snake-oil salesman getting caught to highlight something that's not working correctly in a community.

When the Daily Press printed the story Saturday, Aug. 30, about charges filed against Kelly Grinolds, of the now-defunct Poznet Solutions, Inc., our first reaction was, "Good." However, our second reaction was, "What took so long?"

It's been more than 17 months since Poznet closed its doors March 15, 2007.

Grinolds will have his day in court Oct. 14 in Moffat County, which will make it about 19 months since his business closed. He is accused of a single count of theft over $15,000 in a series, a class 3 felony. There are 13 victims named in the charge.

What that one charge may not convey, though, is all of the hurt and anguish many, many local businesses were left with after they turned to him for help with their collection needs, only to be left in the red when Poznet tanked. That list also may include Moffat County, the 14th Judicial District Attorney's office and The Memorial Hospital, though none are named in this legal case.

Now, with the filing of criminal charges, there is a glimmer of hope for justice in this case.

Yet, although we are very happy to see some judiciary action, we can't help but ask ourselves, why is it 17 months after Grinolds was ordered to close his business and 20-plus months after the alleged thefts occurred?

We do know the case floated from the 14th Judicial District Attorney's Office to the Ninth Judicial District Attorney's Office upon a request from Bonnie Roesink, 14th Judicial District Attorney, because her office may have been one of the victims of Poznet.

That was the responsible thing to do.

However, the 14th did conduct an investigation before turning the case over to the Ninth, which may have contributed to the delay if the Ninth had to retrace steps or go back through the investigation process.

And yes, the transfer of the investigation is an understandable reason for a slowdown in the filing of charges.

What is somewhat unbelievable, however, is that a slowdown could equal a 17-month delay for first criminal legal action.

And although this is the first legal action in a criminal case, it is not the first action overall. At the time of the company's closing, Poznet already had a civil lawsuit pending from The Memorial Hospital seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars owed by Poznet to TMH. The hospital had hoped to settle it out of court, but that didn't happen.

Since then, TMH has gotten a court ruling in the hospital's favor for a couple thousand dollars. The hospital's legal action against Poznet continues.

We applaud the hospital, which is partially funded by taxpayers, for actively pursuing this missing or unaccounted for money.

We just wish the prosecutors had been as proactive in pursuing criminal charges in a timely manner. We hope this long delay in judicial action is just a one-time thing, and we look forward to seeing justice served in Grinolds' case, whatever the outcome.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.