Police: Student's death an accident

MCHS junior fell more than 65 feet

The Craig Police Department released findings from an investigation Wednesday afternoon into the weekend death of a Moffat County High School junior.

Christopher D. Wilson, 17, of Craig, was found Sunday lying at the base of the Sandrocks, north of Green and Ninth streets. A resident reported the body to police.

Officers arriving at the scene found Wilson dead.

An investigation began that day into the circumstances surrounding Wilson's death.

"An investigation into the circumstances of this death has determined the young man died as the result of an accidental fall from the top of the Sandrocks to the ground, a distance in excess of 65 feet," Sgt. John Forgay, of the Police Department, reported in a news release. "The accident appears to have occurred sometime after 4:30 a.m. Sunday morning."

Police reported that there are "no indications of anyone else being present at the time of the accident."

However, the news release states, "it appears that alcohol may have been a contributing factor in this death and is a focus in the continuing investigation into this tragedy."

The Moffat County Sheriff's Office and Craig Fire/Rescue assisted police in the investigation.

Wilson's funeral is scheduled for 10 a.m. today at Craig Christian Church, 960 W. Victory Way. He will be buried at Craig Cemetery. The service is open to the public.

Courtney Teeter, an MCHS senior, has known Wilson since he was a seventh grader, and the two were close friends. She said other people always were happy when around Wilson.

"He's a person who made everybody laugh," Teeter said Wednesday. "Everybody loved him. He was like the perfect friend."

Teeter said Wilson enjoyed playing his guitar - he was in a band, Sign of Tragedy - riding BMX bikes and spending time with his friends and family, and was strong in his faith.

His friends are thinking about an organized vigil for Wilson, Teeter said.

She said she and plenty of others will have a difficult time saying goodbye to Wilson during today's service.

"For a couple of people, I don't think it's completely sunk in yet," she said. "I don't think anyone has really cried yet. You know he's gone, but you don't want to admit it."

Comments

serenity9701 6 years, 1 month ago

We were at the "unofficial" BMX park Monday evening and the "kickboard" (for lack of better knowledge) was wonderfully painted in tribute to Chris Wilson. Our spirits are with the family and friends who are suffering. We have 2 kids under the age of 12 and we are just heartbroken over the tragedy at the Sandrock. While I'm very grateful that we don't live at the base of the Sandrock because of the past incidents, I'd be very sorry if access to it were closed.
Same with the BMX park. (or Sherwood Forest, I believe it's called.) I don't know how the surrounding homeowners feel about the BMX park, but we always approach it on bike with a mix of apprehension and excitement. All four of us enjoy riding the trails and watching the talented kids do their tricks, but we also know it's an unsupervised teen hang out.
We hike the Sandrock as well, and it's history will be a touchy subject again when we're up there with the kids.... You know these things happen no matter what precautions the city might put in place (to keep people out), and no matter how much you talk to your kids about safety or alcohol and drugs. But somehow I really feel that if it ever were to happen that these places were longer accessible to the small percent of the community who use them, we'd all be cheated.
Then again, ask me about that when my own kids are old enough to go out the door by themselves....

als362 6 years, 1 month ago

While I must agree that this childs death is a terrible tragedy. I must also wonder why he was out roaming the town at this hour instead of at home, in bed where he should have been. I cannot escape the idea that if this child had been home, asleep the chances he would still be alive are extreme. In my opinion this is the perfect reason for a curfew time for children 18 years to 14 years of age should be 10:00PM. Had a curfew of this nature been in place, there is a chance this child might still be alive. This child should have been at home.
My deepest sympathy is with the parents and family of this child.

slipknot 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah a curfew would work if parents were doing their job. How many of you parents out there are willing to get off your duffs and see what little Johnny is doing? If the kid wants to go out they'll find a way, mine did and chances are yours did and will again, A curfew will only work if John Law can enforce it. And you don't have enough LE types to do that even if they did care about enforcing it. Best fix is to get those ankle bracelets the state makes the parolees wear, that is if you want to get serious.

als362 6 years, 1 month ago

Slipknot is correct about parents doing their job, and getting out to see what their kids are up to. It is the parents responsibility to take care of their kids. Laws are there just to help them, not to do the entire job.

Tom Soos 6 years, 1 month ago

As always some people point the finger at the parents. I am sure that more than anything they wished he was home in bed, why even bring it up. Teenagers all feel like they are bullet proof and invincible and that nothing bad can happen to them, Sometimes bad things happen to really good people and that's what a tragedy is. Short of a prisoner ankle bracelet, teenagers will get out if they are so inclined. I can still remember being that age and the stunts I pulled. Now a parent of teenagers I am more vigilant, but every now and then they still get one by me. My heart goes out to the parents, family and their friends. I can't even imagine the loss they must all feel. I do know that now is not the time to place blame anywhere- its just a terrible tragedy.

lonelyone 6 years, 1 month ago

I whole heartedly agree with you Conscience. There is time enough for guilt and what ifs later on, now they need support and strong shoulders to lean on.

d81625 6 years, 1 month ago

A note on curfew.... We have gotten to a point where it is to easy for parents to write of their kids behavior at and earlier and earlier age. It is the responsibility of the parents to keep their kids under control, and safe. Set the curfew to apply to 14 to 18 and hold the responsible party to keep them home during those hours the parents or guardians of the kids. I expect we would see a change in parenting habits if the curfew breaking teens parents were sent to a 3 day sprint in jail because of their kid, and hold both parties mom and dad responsible and for the duration of the parents lockup, ship the kid to a foster home for that time. Just a thought but it is too easy for a parent to not take responsibility for their kids actions.

als362 6 years, 1 month ago

Good for you db1625! It is good to see someone else saying what is absolutely true. That the parents are responsible for their childrens behavior. And I am in total agreement with a stint in jail. But I would put the parents and the children in the cell together. Maybe they would find the time to work out what the problem is then.

lonelyone 6 years, 1 month ago

als362, you talk pretty tough for someone who doesn't have kids!!! I actually agree with most all of this. My only point was to say that at this time, this boy's parents don't need anyone telling them that they screwed up. They probably are beating themselves up over it as it is without anyone on here telling them what they should have done. Can you honestly sit here and think his mother is not crying herself to sleep at night thinking she should have just kept him home that night ? Be a little kinder in their time of need. You'd probably want the same thing if you lost someone.

blueyes 6 years, 1 month ago

All of this has some merit that needs to be addressed but the facts are facts. It is not the way and parent raises the young, or if they are there at every step and make sure that they stay on the Wright path. The youth today have way to many outside influences and some parents have know clue that there children are in to this type of thing's unless we as parent's and mentors have the guts to take a really hard look at just how much there are involved in to the lives of them. I have personally made a very aggressive approach to the day to day lives of my two teens I can say that some day's they fell that I maybe overbearing but, the loss of Chris who was friends to both of them now have told me that now they really understand the reasoning that I and there mother have about what goes on in there life at school, work, and with there friend's. So to all people that have nothing better than point a finger or two really need's look at what goes on in there nest first and then think to yourself, do I really have a clue what my offspring are doing right now or later tonight.

freeman 6 years, 1 month ago

as to the comments on parents and curfew,i could not agree more..but you cannot tell me that the police do not know the hang out spots for the kids,so when curfew comes time,why not a simple drive by to check on our future adults to make sure it is time to go...the curfew is a law from my understanding,make them do there job to?????

Barbara A Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

First I would like to ask you all........how many of you have lost a child? I feel your comments are harsh, cruel, and unknowing. You see, I have lost a son to a very tragic accident. This family needs all your compassion and love. Not the "why didn't you, you should have's." Believe me, they are thinking about that ! Support this family with your love and kindness.

xrsareus 6 years, 1 month ago

freeman, Why should the police have to do the parents job? It is the parents job to "check on our future adults". Our children are OUR responsiblity, we had them. You should go find your kid if they are not home, not the police.....

Lawspecialist 6 years, 1 month ago

No one is trying to make the family feel bad; or worse for that matter. In reality, the situation does bring up all the concerns expressed here which are very legitimate concerns, however, it seems that we always wait until something like this happens to take action. . . "re-active instead of pro-active". Accountability, where does it lie? We are quite aware that hind sight is 20/20, however, we no longer live in they type of environment where we can take everyone at their word. Sad, but true. Some of us HAVE lost children but are still able function as normal human beings and make decisions and be accountable for those decisions we make because it is a must to survival and success. I believe it is the partents responsibility to know where their children are and if your children are unwilling to comply then the priviledge of being "out" should cease. Attitude reflects leadership and parents, , , ALL parents, need to take the time to know where their children are. What, parents should just let their children run wild and wait for the police to chase them down? No, that is an "illegal pass" if you will. If your children respect YOU, they respect your wishes, if they are defiant, they have no respect for you nor your words and that fault lies on the parent. Harsh, but REAL. I am not passing judgment, I am speaking from experience, most of my children are grown and I have a 19 year old at home. When she goes out, she STILL follows her old habits and takes the time to call to let me know she is alright. Respect is respect and AGAIN, Attitude reflects leadership. . . look at our country!

Barbara A Smith 6 years, 1 month ago

But you are Judging!!! You talk about parents responsibilty, accountability, respect, and so on. Which sounds to me like you are saying this family did not do that. You try to do all the right things as a parent but sometimes you have no control over certain situations. And believe me, I am a surviver!!

lonelyone 6 years, 1 month ago

gomacain, I agree with you. This child did not just fall and break a leg and we're all telling his parents how to parent. The boy died and we need to be kinder to his family. It's not up to us to judge his family. I don't even know his family. They could be terrible people or they could be warm, loving, caring people. The point is they lost a child and don't need anyone pointing fingers at them telling them what they should have done. And while we're at it, why, if it's a law shouldn't the police be sending these kids home when they are breaking curfew. I was notified a few times when my kids broke curfew and that was a LONG time ago. As far as I know things are suppose to be tougher now. I'm not saying the police should be babysitting our kids cuz we don't have the time to, but if there is a law, then enforce it!

Craig_gal 6 years, 1 month ago

a child died, it is a tragedy, everyone shush about your opinions and curfews and blames, and super parenting styles. He died, there are sometimes when you don't need words, just go and hug your child and save your comments for another article.

Lawspecialist 6 years, 1 month ago

I encourage you to read again. It was stated the situation surfaces concerns for parents, read further . . . all parents. Obviously the comments are not directed toward the family due to the tremendous loss they have suffered but that of a wake up call for those who are fortunate enough to still have their children and if you take the time to absorb the comment, it is blatently clear it was in reply to previous comments.

speech_geek 6 years, 1 month ago

OK This is for Slipknot, this is what you gotta realize. Chris's parents are AMAZING PEOPLE!!! THEY ARE GREAT PARENTS. So as one of Chris's friends, I'm gonna tell you to shut up!

DougWagoner 6 years, 1 month ago

I have read this forum for quite some time now. Ive had my opinions on alot of the subjects covered here. Now its come to the point I just cant keep quiet.

HOW DARE YOU!

To everyone judging this family, To everyone who has lost anyone, Havent you said to yourself, What if? Dont you think that the parents would die to take his place? Now they have to deal with all of you blaming them. Everyone of you should be ashamed of yourselves. You are entitled to your opinion, but do us all a favor and keep it inside your closed little mind. Doug Wagoner

stevebmx 3 years, 1 month ago

To everybody in this thread: i am the brother of chris wilson, i have been through and have been a part of everything that lead up to his death. If you knew the whole story you would start crying and regret everything you have said about the parents and family. long story short, he wanted to have fun but the parents tried to tie him down with curfues which led to him lying about what he was doing that night. he was the lead guitarist of our band which was about to be singed by a major record label in denver. not a day goes by in which i dont violenty weep over it. the same can be said about my mom. it was a crazy series of unfortunate events that led to his death. changed everything. me and my brother were fed up with the suicide in craig so we formed a band. that band brought all the teens together and formed an amazing culture that small towns still have yet to understand. we tried are best to maintain a bike park that the city fought to destroy for years, we raised enough money to build a new skatepark that teens could flourish in but the city shut us down. the city of craig is not a pleasant place for kids. They have shut down every possible improvement that we have tried and have made it nearly impossible to make an impact. even to this day i hear about kids dying and it breaks my heart. Craig needs to be more teen friendly and less scared of change. i tried for 10 years, and it was a bunch of ridiculous banter. now i live in phoenix where kids actuaully have something to do and have something to live for. i speak for my brother, myself, and the rest of my family when i say something needs to change. so that teens dont feel like they NEED to get out of that town. we have always strived for the better life of the youth, but it still hasnt happened in craig. even after working alongside the county commissioners and repeated petitions, nothing has changed. im glad to no longer be a part of that town..