A fire engulfed a Stagecoach home Saturday night, severely damaging the residence but resulting in no injuries.
Witnesses said the fire at 30515 Ormega Way, in the Meadowgreen subdivision, started on the home's front porch at about 8 p.m. Hester Vogel was inside the residence when the fire started, along with homeowner Kim Banning and Banning's 9-year-old daughter, Brooke.
Vogel said the three were just sitting down to dinner when Brooke spotted smoke outside.
"She thought it was dry ice," Vogel said. "She saved our lives."
Neither Vogel nor Banning knew the exact cause of the fire, but Vogel had a guess.
"We think maybe the propane grill," she said.
Neighbor Ed Havel saw the blaze while returning home from the South Routt PTO's annual Halloween carnival, and quickly joined Banning and other neighbors in efforts to put out the flames with water from garden hoses.
"We thought we were going to get it at first," Havel said. "But it went up fast."
Havel said the flames quickly jumped to the home's upper stories. The home had wood siding. Crews arrived from the nearby Stagecoach fire station, Oak Creek Fire & Rescue, and the Routt County Sheriff's Office. They trained fire hoses on the roof of the house, which gushed heavy smoke and bursts of flames.
Vogel said no one was injured in the fire, and no pets were in the house. No adjacent properties caught flame.
"We're all very lucky," Vogel said, before amending that comment to a friend. "No, it ain't luck - it's called God. Thank you, Lord."