Tracy Winder: Obama is anti-guns

— To the editor:

There is one point I would like to make very clear. Barack Obama does not support the Second Amendment, despite his claims and recent television ads. If elected, I think Obama would be the most anti-gun president in American history.

In February 2008, Barack Obama said this:

"There is an individual right to bear arms. But it is subject to common sense regulation." (Journal Sentinel Online, Feb. 15, 2008)

On the face of it, that's a reasonable statement.

But what does Obama mean by "common sense regulation?" Here are a couple of notable quotes:

"I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry." (Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004)

"I think it's a scandal that (Bush) did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban." (Illinois Senate Debate No. 3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes, Oct. 21, 2004)

Neither of Obama's opinions on these issues is supported by actual fact. Concealed carry by vetted citizens does deter crime, and the assault weapons ban did nothing to curtail criminal activity.

Incidentally, be sure you know what an "assault weapon" is before you pass judgment. It may surprise you to learn that there's nothing particularly special or "evil" about them. I've had one since I was 14.

Look at Obama's stance on some other gun issues:

Self-defense: Obama voted to allow the prosecution of people who use a firearm for self-defense in their homes. (Illinois Senate, S.B. 2165, vote 20, March 25, 2004)

Ammunition tax: Obama supported increasing taxes on firearms and ammunition by 500 percent. (Chicago Defender, Dec. 13, 1999)

Lawsuits: Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry. (U.S. Senate, S. 397, vote 219, July 29, 2005)

Clinton gun ban: Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton gun ban. (Illinois Senate Debate No. 3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes, Oct. 21, 2004)

Handguns: Obama endorsed a ban on all handguns. (Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire, Sept. 9, 1996)

Ammunition ban: Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting. (U.S. Senate, S. 397, vote 217, July 29, 2005)

More information is available at www.gunbanobama.com.

If these are "common sense regulations," I shudder to think what Obama considers to be actual infringement of my constitutional right "to keep and bear arms."

The bottom line is that Obama's statements and voting record simply don't match up with his recent television ads and sound bites.

Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, said recently: "The truth be told, in all my years in the (Illinois) Capitol, I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama."

Have a nice hunting season.

Tracy Winder

Craig

Comments

Wapitipoker 5 years, 5 months ago

Tracy, You should know that the NRA and others in the gun industry have ulterior motives to mischaracterize Obama's stance on gun issues. I will set the record straight for you on a couple of these issues, but for the whole truth, please visit www.factcheck.org . I really hate all of the misinformation that is usually swallowed hook, line and sinker by honest sportsmen.

Banning hunting amuntion: The ammendment applied only to handgun ammuntion "capable of penetrating body armor" and to rifle ammuntion "designed or marketed as having armor piercing capability". The NRA will use a lot of flimsy arguments, like most of their arguments, to try to turn the facts around. However, the intent of the ammendment was clear.

Self Defense: The senate bill in Illinois, which Mr. Obama voted against did not make it a crime to use a firearm in self defense. Rather it created a loophole allowing the owner of an unregistered firearm to escape the penalty associated with not registering their firearm if it is used in self defense. This is hardly a vote to ban the use of firearms for self defense.

Ban of all handguns: This lofty claim is all based off of a questionnare erroneously filled out by a member of Mr. Obama's Illinois senate campaign. Mr. Obama submitted a handwritten correction to the questionnaire that clarified his stance, which is not to ban all handguns.

I am proud to be a sportsman for Obama and challenge you to actually substantiate you claims to some degree before spreading these lies for everyone to read in the local paper.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey Guy, I'll tell you what. You get Obama to swear he will not sign any new gun laws and the NRA will back him. Is that factcheck web sight the one Obamas people have to keep revising concering Bill Aryers? Ya, the more the real facts come out, the more that web sight is proving to be just spin.

gumby424 5 years, 5 months ago

Having lived in both Chicago and Craig, it's understandable why there are be different needs for gun legislation from one to another. There are blocks in the city that have more people than reside in Craig. Obama doesn't want to take away your guns.

Patrick, you really need to research the Bill Ayers story or non- story. He was selected as Chicago Cititzen of the Year in 1997. Ayers and Obama have served together on a couple of boards and live in the same neighborhood, near the University of Chicago.

But it sounds like you have your mind made up already. That's OK, just don't continue spreading fear and lies. There's been way too much of that already. We have Rove and his protege Schmidt to thank for that.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

I do have my mind made up. I do don't pal around with or seek endorsments from terrorist. I don't serve side by side with any. I dont' go to their houses. I don't hang around successful terrorist that have attempted murder. Maybe you do? I don't.

I thought about Obama reasons, or any ones reasons for gun control. I think the fear of be unarmed around thugs is over ridden by love for the neighborhood criminal that gets in more trouble when he uses a gun. I can see it now, "Oh why does my son have to go to prison? If it wasn't for that dang gun he would have never killed that guy over drugs. Now he'll never get out." Gun control or lack of guns would cut down on many prision sentence's. Not crime itself. Hate the gun, not the criminal is how the left roles.

Sorry no sale.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

I've got a little test for everyone out there that believes the media hasn't swayed there reasoning abilities.

Would any of you let your sons or daughters hang out with a person who is proud of attempting murder? If no, then why would you vote for a person who hangs out with people like that?

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

P.S.S The DNC let all the normal democrats down when they had that little meeting and railroaded Hilary Clinton. Now democrats are stuck with sombody that has real, real bad judgement. This will be brought out more in the decisions he makes for you. In the short run, this could kill the democratic party nation wide with in two years.

gumby424 5 years, 5 months ago

Patrick, You are so misinformed. Mr. Ayers was convicted of nothing. Mr. Ayers was never accused of murdering anyone. Where does guilt by association stop?

I have been a Democrat for along time, having first voted for McGovern. I beleive I'm as "normal" as most. Yet I fail to understand how Hillary was railroaded. It was a tight race. She didn't have the organization that Obama built. Being a democrat, I was prepared to support either Obama or Clinton. I just can't see supporting the first ticket in American history in which both candidates were found to have violated ethic standards.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Gumby424, How's it going? I hope your having a good Sunday. My point about Bill Aryers attempting to murder people refers to when he was blowing up buildings that had people in them. As far as proof of guilt, he's the one that says he's proud of what he did and wished he'd have done more. Another point. I know you aren't a KKK member and if you have a religious leader he is not racist. If he was spewing hate you would n't take your kids to hear him. So why would you tolerate Obama when he did this with his children. Obama said in the end, "Yes I have heard Wright say things I didn't agree with." That was "code cover up" for yes, I sat through some of that garbage.

My over all point is the media has smoothed over so much of this stuff many people have dismissed it. The judgements Obama has made are no way similar to those of us in the real world. The problem I see looking in from outside the box is this patern with him will get worse. He barely backs of some of he more crazier statments as it is. When he no longer has to win a race then nothing will change his mind when he's on the wrong track. That's my opinion anyway. Besides, I think the country needs to get this out of its system anyway. I just hope nothing real bad happens that can't be fixed.

Thanks for talking I hope I didn't make you angry. I enjoy nice, calm, discussions.

WakeUpCraig 5 years, 5 months ago

Patrick, If you are so concerned with associations than why aren't you more concerned with Sarah and Todd Palin's association with the Alaskan Secessionist Party, whose leader and founder said that hell is frozen compared to his hate for the United States Gov. and spoke of impending war to secede from the union (Todd was a member and Sarah addressed them this year saying keep up the good work -you can watch the video on you tube). I can tell you part of the reason; Obama hasn't made it a big issue with robo calls, T.V. adds and the like because he wants this election to be about the serious problems that face our nation, not distractions. Oh, and if you think McCain is free of shady associations you should look up his role in the Keating scandal and his relationship with Gordon Liddy.

grannyrett 5 years, 5 months ago

I will be sooooo glad when this election is over. By the way, Wakeup, McCain was found to not have done anything wrong as regards Keating. When Keating went to him, he told Keating he would not help him. Look it up.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, the movement to seceed from the union is going to get alot stronger after Obama gets elected. As far as Sarah goes, she was never a member of that. Being upset with the on going secular and liberal in America and wanting to be as far away from it as posible is not a crime, nor are they doing anything other than politicing and griping. (free speech) Bill Aryers blew up buildings with people in them, trying to kill them. That's a big difference. Who knows, with Obama in there though you might get to see some honest to goodness revelotion. The only people hated more than Bush is the democratic congress. The media doesn't draw that out much, but its real. I hope our union is strong enough to be patient and wait it out though. Who knows? The last thing we need is civil unrest. Nobody wins in that kind of a mess. I don't advocate that at all. I hear people doing it more and more though. Put that togther with high unemployment and boom! Things can get side ways fast. I've seen it over and over in other countries. It happens so fast it can't be stopped. Nobody really know where that breaking point is though. I hope the nuts don't come out and go wild.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

McBUSH pulled many strings in the Keating 5 scandal..McBUSH IS GUILTY AS HELL!! But of course....you want to see things as Rush Limbaugh says they are.....Rush Limbaugh.....now why wasn't that fat assed drug addict thrown in jail for his drug violations...eh?!

Obama isn't going to take away your firearms.....Patrick....you really need to stop. It's really obvious you're just grabbing for straws. I hunt...and I use to participate in competition firearms. I HAD to belong to the NRA to practice my love for competition shooting. But I absolutely dispise the NRA. Let me repeat this....I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE NRA!!!! I own firearms and I'm not threatened by thought that the Democratic Party will take away my firearms. And besides...I honestly do not believe that everyone who wants a firearm should have one! I've seen many a soul that was...shall I say...not fit to even be around firearms let alone own one. But by God...they got one!! And that doesn't brother you??!!!

This crap about Obama being pals with a terrorist is simply that....CRAP!! You people are listening far too much (AND ANY VIEWING OF FAKE NEWS AND RUPERT MURDOCH'S SPIN DOCTORS!!!) of Right wing news(????!!!!) media...or should I say...Right wing propaganda ministers of the RIGHT.

After the almost death of the 4th Amendment...your guns aren't safe anyways!!! Hell...with a fascists controled White House...do you really think that with the Patriot Act...you live as a Free American??!!! Contrary to what Fox...I mean False Noise beats the airwaves each and everyday....this country is in grave danger of a totalitarian overlord...they're already sitting in power behind the Oval Office's doors. And this McBush brags that he has agreed with Dufus Bush more than any other senator??!! Well....we do know that Cheney is the real Czar residing there...but...the time as come to plavw those two ultra fasicst criminals in a gallows noose.

It's over....get over it!! Tracy Winder...the dominence of the GOP is busted thanks to your beloved Georgie Boy Bush...McBush is garbage and Palin is far worse than McBush!! Yes...she believes in an independent Alaska.....but now...according to McBush insiders...she has now gone rougue...which means...she's out of control but falling fast!! How stupid it was for the GOP trying to throw a monkey wrench in the machine by trying to gather the womens vote!! And McBush went aong with the scheme...shows whos calling the shots!

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Cantstand, I hope your right about the guns. The real thing I'm worried about is the assault weapons ban. Clinton took away my 30 round magazine for my 22 cal rabit gun. If Obama would promise to leave that bill dead, I'd feel alot better. However, he has not done so.

P.S. I felt a little better reading your first 3 pargraphs then you had to go and ruin it. Also, I agree with you about forced membership to the NRA. It's not them doing it but they could atleast ask it to stop. It's an abuse of your free speech rights. I like the NRA, but not that part. Too many gun clubs do that. It rubs people the wrong way. Wrong is wrong, even if it's someone or something you like.

DV8 5 years, 5 months ago

Are you aware that Obama was 8 years old when Aryers bombed those buildings and when he was on a board with Ayers, Ayers was a college professor?

As to associations with shady characters... Is anyone positive that McCain has never attending any type of meeting that involved a KKK member, or that none of his fellow prisoners of war ever committed any violent crimes after they were released? Do you know that there was nobody with a shady past in every meeting you have ever attended?

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 5 months ago

Once they start taking away rights they seldom give them back. If they hit the gun industry like they did Tobaco, no American manufacturers will survive. Then all you will have left is a bunch of Chinese made guns on our streets, since Remington, Browning, etc will all be out of business. With Obama you will see law suits that will bankrupt the industry. He already said he would do this, but has changed his stance on it after being nominated for president. Remember, once their gone, their gone, they won't come back. Our US military will be buying our weapons from CHINA!!! - If we even have a military with Obama. As a strong backer of the UN he may just place our military under the direction of the UN general assembly. That would be my prediction.

gumby424 5 years, 5 months ago

AA, You've got the right string just the wrong Yo-Yo. Who is "They" that you speak of? We are they, if you vote, that is. If you have healthy debate about the issues and work to there resolution. And yes, that does require a change in stance by someone. We the people. By voting and discussion of the issues we remain a free country. Not by passing Patriot acts and calling people un-american just because they have a differnet point of view than you do. To see why assault weapons in big cities is insane doesn't take alot of thought. To resolve the issue so that your needs are met as well as those residing in different inviroments than yours does require thought and understanding. We can get there. But not by the actions of Palin, Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, and McCain.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Here's the biggest untold arguement for an armed nation. When we showed up for boot, 90% of us knew how to shoot and shoot well. I was in charge of teaching those who had never held a rifle. They were lost and stayed lost. Many got held back and never felt confident about their marksmenship skills. You could tell they would be the ones that kept down while others engded the enemy. It takes years of growth with weapons to be able to handle them well. Seeing what works in the feild and what doesn't. What shots you can make and what shot you can't.

The enemy doesn't even put out accurate rifles because it would be a waste. Their people can't shoot.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

I'll quote from someone that most of the conservative people find unsettling.

Ward Churchill responded back to a friend of mine you emailed Mr. Churchill about guns ownership here in America.

Mr. Churchill: As long as the government has firearms, we as American citizens must protect ourselves against this government at all costs!! Firearms must never be confiscated from ordinary citizens granted by the 2nd Amendment.

That being said...you can thank the Bush Administration for the oh so wonderful Patriot Act. With such a law...the feds of even local law enforcement can remove weapons from you and your home under any excuse...ANY EXCUSE even an accusation. No facts...no jury....no court!! Now that the 4th Amendment was press to be watered down so thoroughly, the search and seizure practices of law enforcement agencies just became very easy for them to do.

OH!! Why does Delta Force have standing orders to protect the presidency of the United States? They have been granted orders to kill Americans and fire upon armed citizens in the event of social collapse or insurgency. THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES FIGHTING AMERICAN CITIZENS??!!! HELL....EVEN THE SOVIET UNION'S MILITARY REFUSED TO RAISE UP AGAINST THE CITIZENS OF THE SOVIET UNION WHEN IT WAS APPARENT THAT THAT GOVERNMENT WAS COLLAPSEING!!

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Cantstand, I liked that. I not sure, maybe even all of it.

maverick 5 years, 5 months ago

The sad part about this entire debate is that Obama-backers will not look at any of the facts surrounding Obama's voting record when it comes to guns or anything else! No amount of common sense will prevail. The only real change we will see is a slimmer pocketbook, higher taxes, more limits on our freedoms(Obama backs what legal experts call "Positive liberties" in the Constitution--look it up to find out what it means!!) and more abortions. Go watch this if you dare Obama lovers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kri8G-...

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 5 months ago

If you want to see someone who understands Barak Obama then you should see this gentleman.

"http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rev+manning&search_type=&aq=f"

He is an African American minister from the South. I challenge anyone with courage enough to listen to this man for five minutes and then ask yourself who should you vote for. I bet none of you have the guts to watch even one of his videos on youtube. You can see all of them by searching "rev Manning" on Youtube.

Good Luck,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query =rev+manning&search_type=&aq=f

maverick 5 years, 5 months ago

Vote for Obama and take another step towards complacency and loss of liberty. I'mfor REAL CHANGE in 2012!