Christina M. Currie's Touch of Spice column appears Fridays in the Craig Daily Press. E-mail her at <a href="mailto:director@craig-chamber.com"> director@craig-chamber.com</a>

Photo by John Henry

Christina Currie: Sugar and spice, that's my girl

Christina M. Currie

Christina M. Currie's Touch of Spice column appears Fridays in the Craig Daily Press. E-mail her at director@craig-chamber.com

— They say that girls are sugar and spice and everything nice. Boys, on the other hand, are snips and snails and puppy dog's tails.

Boy, are they wrong.

Don't get me wrong. Girls are sweet. Well, they can be.

Seven-year-old Nikki is easily the sweeter of my two girls. Her 8-year-old sister has her moments, but Nikki is, let's just say, the more consistent of the two.

It was Nikki's idea to make presents for her two best friends. Katie suggested she call them "BFF" bags. You know, "best friends forever."

She colored cards and asked if she could add candy and sea shells to her packets.

I was touched, and I was sure the mish-mash of contents, though baffling to me, would appeal to her friends.

I'm still not sure what all went into those friendship bags, but I'm learning.

Ashley's mom felt compelled to fill me in when she stopped by my office to return the $15 Nikki had gifted her friend.

I groaned, wondering exactly what else left the house.

As I was talking to Ashley's mom, my phone beeped, indicating I'd missed a call. It was Rory's mom.

I knew Nikki's purse would be even lighter than I'd thought.

And it was.

Two more bills went Rory's direction, along with a stuffed animal and other toys Nikki selected from her room.

I was thinking about how sweet my little girl was when the mother-to-mother hotline showed me the error of my thinking.

Evidently the three didn't bond over gift bags. That was just frosting on their friendship.

What brings them together is their common interest in tormenting the boys.

Rory's mom calls their game "The Amazon Women."

Nikki didn't want fess up when I asked her about it, but I managed to eke out a few details.

They like to capture a boy, take him to the top of the hill on the playground and "make" him roll down. (I think they only think they're "making" him. Boys don't seem to protest rolling around in the grass much.)

They also like to capture a boy, "force" him onto the monkey bars and "make" him cross.

I asked Nikki how they made the boys do that.

"We tickle them," she said, hiding her face against my neck.

I started thinking that the game was less Amazon and more first crush.

Then again :

I like that my sweet girl has a little spine.

I like that my independent girl has a little sweetness.

I'm really hoping that these traits stay in the proper balance, and that my daughter is as generous with her friendship as she is with her money.

Snips and snails and puppy dog's tails add flavor, but a little sugar and spice truly make a dish.

Comments

Lawspecialist 5 years, 5 months ago

When she first started her column about her children (like no one else has any) I thought it would be a temporary thing. How incorrect was I? Then I thought someday she'll finally grasp the concept that no one really cares and that people are really tired and nausiated of hearing about or seeing articles in the paper about her children! Where she gets her information or ideas is beyond me, however, I wouldn't be surprised if some or most of the content comes from another website. Good work misterkindbuds!

misterkindbuds 5 years, 5 months ago

Thank you, my good sir.

After a little investigating of my own, I came up with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Kids

Daywalker?

You decide.

Craig_gal 5 years, 5 months ago

?????? i have no idea where any of this went. I clicked on the first link and other than snips and tails i do not find any other similarities. the last link???? I am at a complete loss of what that means. MKB, are you related to the author of these articles? I only ask because you seem to promote her material in a continuous manner.
You always "seem" to be critical of it but, I think if people read between the lines you are constantly bringing her articles to the attention of everyone.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Okay MKB, that article even botherd me. I would not have put any of that in the paper.

usesturnsignal 5 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone remember what it was like to grow up in a small town or are all of you from the city? You know, that place where children are miniature adults. Mark Twain wrote stories about life around him and multiple artists painted life as they saw it in the small towns they grew up in, from Terry Redlin to Norman Rockwell. Am I saying that this is comparable? Not totally but the idea is the slice of Americana and if that slice changes flavor over the decades what is so wrong with making it news. So girls are becoming more assertive and down-and-dirty at young ages these days and yet still retain that sweetness that makes a grown man smile in the grocery store. I hope to God that ol' Norman is looking the other way because the cynics are loose with their sarcastic "wit". Just me being sardonic hoping thecynical critics were more laconic.

misterkindbuds 5 years, 5 months ago

I know Mark Twain - his name was Samuel Longhorn Clemons. Chris Currie is no Mark Twain.

Twain was a brilliant man who made observations of everyday life. He didn't feel compelled to write columns about the same child week in and week out.

Terry Redlin is an artist, as was Norman Rockwell. They didn't write.

Imagine, though, had Norman Rockwell painted the same person over and over, just doing different things?

Nothing else. Just the same kid, doing different things.

They sell those paintings, but they are usually on the street corner and set up outside of a van.

In the words of my hero, Mark Twain .. "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Peace

Lawspecialist 5 years, 5 months ago

Use: I am from a small town; never have lived outside of Colorado and just "what" has that got to do with the price of tea in China???? When one exploits their private life and the life of their children in such a manner as Chris Currie, its an invitation for high levels of critisizm. If she can't take the heat then she needs to exit the kitchen! As for your "down-and-dirty" comment, no children their age should even know what that means. If dignity and respect are practiced at home then a more intelligent approach to problems or situations become more obvious to those raised in the respectful and dignified surrounding. If you or she are offended then perhaps you should result to ignoring the comments she is vulerable to on her own merit. Most comments are directed to the "mother" who, of her own choice, writes and publishes the articles about her children for everyone to see. Free will, freedom of speech and opinion prompt the readers to reply therefore "hoping to God that ol' Norman is looking the other way" is obtuse.

lostyermarbles 5 years, 5 months ago

I tell ya, just buy her a diary for home use only!!!!!!!!! It's really no one's business and it's BORING!!!!