John Mann: Grow up, people

Grow up, people

A few Bulldog adult spectators should be in the doghouse.

To those adults who chose to sit behind the student section at the homecoming football game, I have a suggestion for you.

One, grow up. You're adults.

Two, show up early for a home game and choose your seats wisely, for if you choose to sit directly behind a student cheering section, you deserve what you get.

The student cheering section at a high school football game will stand up, cheer, get rowdy and, most of all, irritate those around them.

For grown adults to lower themselves and act childishly by purposefully spraying the cheering section with soda pop, they should - at the very least - be ejected from the event and all future events.

The school administration should ban you from every sporting event or, at the very least, you should admit your guilt and write a letter of apology to the community, the fans, the student cheering section, school administration and the football team as a young individual did earlier this week.

You parents involved in that activity are a disgrace to Moffat County athletics. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You know who you are, and if you wish to debate the issue, feel free to call.

You owe the community an apology.

John Mann

Craig

Comments

grannyrett 5 years, 6 months ago

Just goes to show. Good manners have no age limit.

DV8 5 years, 6 months ago

... and the parents of those in the student cheering section who are rude and obcene toward others should also be ashamed of themselves.

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 6 months ago

It's not the student cheering section. They took up the entire front row of three sections. There were more parents in that section than students. It was OK when they only took up the first four rows of three sections, parents became upset when they took up the first nine rows. Kids were literally walking up and standing right in front of a family and then telling them to F-off when they were asked to sit down. When they stood, people for 6 rows behind them had to get up and move.

If you were there you would also know that not one of those kids were watching the game. They were so busy talking to each other, that they didn't know the Bulldogs even scored until the rest of the cheering section made noise, then they would briefly look at the field and then turn back to their yammering and cursing of the parents. This was a social event for them and it could have taken place in front of a brick wall and 80% wouldn't have known the difference.

Why would the school/athletic department make a section on one of the very ends where students stand from the bottom to the top. Any one with a shred of common sense would also know that by having a "student section" in the middle of the stadium that even if you didn't sit behind them you couldn't see half the game if you sat in a section on either side of them because of how line of site works.

Home coming isn't about a bunch of teenagers mulling around in a stand and taking up space. If the Althletic department or school administration doesn't think there is a better way to handle the problem they aren't much smarter than the kids in the stands. They ask for community support and then tell the community to go get bent if they don't like the way things are hanlded. A little common sense and some adult supervision is all it would take to make the event enjoyable for everyone who attended.

tamsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

I completely agree! All it takes is common sense and supervision. Give those kids a section on the end where they are out of the way. I was at the game and it was completely ridiculous the way those kids acted and spoke. And come on, tell the ADULTS to leave the game? Those adults were there early, much earlier than the students. And most of them were there with families and young children. I could not beleive how the F word was flying out of those kids' mouths - and at adults no less. If I had ever done something like that you can bet that I would have had my a** tanned when my parents found out - and believe me, they would have found out. Some parent from the stands would have called my parents and there would have been a paddle waiting for me when I walked in the door. That is the problem, though, no one wants to stand up to a bunch of idiot kids or get involved in any way. It's a much different world now than it used to be, and that's a shame. Those kids need to get a life and grow up yourselves. Who do you think you are, first telling adults (including school administrators) to F off and then telling them that THEY need to apologize? You kids these days get everything handed to you and you think that the world owes you something. One day life is going to blind-side you and you will realize that hard way that you have to work hard to get what you want and work even harder to gain respect. It isn't just handed to you because you think you deserve it.

tamsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

Well, that makes it all okay then. You say let's not categorize but because one adult did something stupid (and I do not agree with what he did) you say all of us adults were stooping to a kids level. I'm sorry but the words those kids said were not words of a child so don't tell me that they were just being kids. And maybe they do stand there at every game, unfortunately for some of us we don't go to many games and didn't realize that. If you were at that game then you would have known that the parents did try to reason with the kids and "de-escalate" the situation which only made those kids act worse, and the school principal was asked to step in and he obviously did nothing about it other than to tell those people to leave and ask for a refund. Oh, and someone made the announcement over the speakers for the kids at the fence to sit down so people could see? Hello! They were not the problem. I just can't believe that anyone is standing up for those kids and making their behaviors okay and acceptable.

tamsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

I need to apologize. I thought that it was a student who wrote that letter. I am not from here but apparently Mr. Mann is well known and is the father of a student. The fact that he would write that makes it even worse than if it was a student. He is in a sense just condoning those kids' behavior and if he was at the game he would know exactly what happened. I just goes to show that children will live what they see and hear at home and that is the biggest problem. It all starts at home.

grannyrett 5 years, 6 months ago

Sorry-I should have read it more carefully. I, too, thought it was a student who wrote the letter. I agree with tamsmom. While I understand the desire for school spirit, I am appalled at the bad behavior of the students. There is a big difference between school spirit and being rude and disruptive or ill mannered. It is sad that the parent of a student would support this type of behavior.

native_craig_guy 5 years, 6 months ago

The students have been sitting there all season and so what if they were not watching the game it is THEIR HOMECOMING not ours. They were having fun and if they wanted to stand in the same place they have at every home game this year so what. Students are children and although their actions were inappropriate the adults in the crowd should have been the voices of reason and de-escalated the situation or got the adminstrators involved instead of spraying soda pop on the students. I am not saying that the kids should have acted rudely but the whole situation should have turned out differently if there were responsible adults in the crowd rather than adult sized hooligans. Thank you Mr. Mann for calling for the accountability for adults that attend the high school football games.

dogfan 5 years, 6 months ago

I was at the school picking my daughter up Wednesday and heard over the intercom system an announcement stating there would be a student section marked off for them at Fridays game.

Craig_gal 5 years, 6 months ago

It seems that the student crowd was being just that, they were being students. The adults however were unable to act like adults. I go to games and there have been times that I got there late and sat too close for comfort to the student section. But I am proud to say "I" acted in an adult manner, I am also proud to say that my children have always sat (errr I mean stood) in the student section and they love the games and the social activity. The adult may be there ONLY for the game but remember the students have many reasons to be there and that does not mean that the students should get cussed at and have soda pop sprayed on them by adults. Some comments have been implying that ALL students are up to no good and that all students are cussing out school officials and fans, please, give me a break and quit categorizing. I am proud of MOST of the student body and even though there are a few who get carried away I say that should be allowed. The adults need to show some self discipline and until that can be shown than the kids will just have to continue to go Down the their level

eieio 5 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes I don't think anything kids do these days is ok. You would be ticked off if they were out doing something bad, being lazy. At least they have the ambition to stand during games and be social. If the adults behind them would have handled the situation a little better this whole thing would have never happened. The adults were acting like spoiled little brats throwing soda and soda bottles. I would have been cussing at them too. Is there a reason these adults needed to be acting in this manner???? Get up and move for gosh sakes. Grow up, act your age and maybe the children will too. I too was sitting nearby the highschoolers. My take was the adults were totally out of line. My daughter was totally taken aback by the behavior of these people. A lady sitting near us asked the adults to stop what they were doing, they sent one of their children down to get a pop bottle that was thrown at the high schoolers so they could spray more soda on them. This woman took the bottle away so the ADULTS could not spray any more or throw it again. These kids could have been out partying or doing something worse. Give them credit they were staying (or at least trying) to stay out of trouble at the football game who cares if they were socializing or watching the game.
Just for future reference they do this at basketball games too, so choose your spot wisely!!!

kerrya 5 years, 6 months ago

No, the pop bottle was NOT thrown by the adults in the stands. It was thrown by the high schoolers. And come on! Who was acting like spoiled brats? I agree that the actions of one in the group was irresponsible and uncalled for, but that does NOT, under any circumstances give a child the right to speak to adults the way they did. They started by telling a grandfather, while his four year old grandson was on his lap to F off, and the situation quickly escalated. You tell me to grow up? Get your story straight. I apologize to your daughter and the other students down below for sounding as though the whole group of kids was involved, it was in fact just a small portion of them. My point was to publically give a voice to the concerns that we have as parents that kids are getting away with this kid of behavior, and that the schools are not doing anything about it. Much of my letter was edited because of space requirements and there was a large part that did not make it to the paper regarding the parade also. There was a group of kids (from Craig or not, I don't know) who began flipping us off as we walked by and using the most aweful profanity I have ever heard come from anyone much less a kid. There were young children all around them watching the parade and at one point on of the young ladies (or not) came off of the sidewalk and directly in front of an 8th grade boy. Where the hell are these kids' parents? I cannot believe that anyone is sticking up for these kids' behaviors! I am not sticking up for the behaviors of some of the adults in the stands, either, I am just trying to give you the WHOLE story. I work with middle school kids everyday and I have kids of my own and you can bet your sweet hide that if I ever heard of one of my kids acting like this there would be serious consequences. And it is not just my own kids, if I heard a friends kid saying those things I would be on the phone with their parents. The problem is that no one wants to stand up and say anything and we think that it is okay, because gosh, at least they are not doing drugs right?

rissarose 5 years, 6 months ago

It is a high school school game and you have no right to tell those kids what to do, if you dont like them having their own section then dont go. Im sure you did the same thing back in the day without even thinking twice so dont be hypocritical. Homecoming is for the high school students and they support their team just by going to the game. Their sanding up and cheering is just tradition and if you dont like it then your spirits not really there, is it? let them have there fun for as long as they can have it because im sure you dont have perfect kids even though you may think you do.

Craig_gal 5 years, 6 months ago

i was at a convenience store the other day. there was an "adult" standing at the counter and behind him was a young man that looked to be the age of 16 or 17. Another student came up from behind and gave the first student a surprise nudge that make him bump into the adult. The child's first response was a look of surprise and a quick glance to make sure that he was alright. Before the teen could express an apology to the adult he found himself being reprimanded by that adult who than demanded an apology. The kid remained calm the entire time as the adult started to tell him how rotten and disrespectful he was and that he needed to learn how to treat adults and apologize when they tell him to. I was in complete awe as this student remained calm. When the adult said "What you need is discipline and a good hard whack along the backside, I bet your father has never smacked you or taught you a good lesson" The child said "actually, no my father has never hit me." he than paid for his soda and left. The adult stood there not noticing that the entire store was feeling shame for how he reacted. I want tell these parents what "a fine young man they are raising" I think things really got out of hand at the game. the children should not have used the language that they used. uhmmm okay.

I've said before, many kids are disrespectful, but so are many adults. Just because you've reached a certain age doesn't mean you are intitled to respect. And if you never give it you'll not get it back. However I too come from a generation that was never allowed to talk back and you NEVER used bad language in front of an adult. Many of our youth today are pretty decent kids and we shouldn't lump them all in the same group. And that is what the guy did in your note Craig_gal. He acted poorly from the sounds of it and now he's given that young man a poor image of adults.

kerrya 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree with footballmom, Homecoming is about the community, not just the kids. If we left it up to just the high school kids there would be no parade because how can you make a parade with one class float and a couple of team floats? The majority of our parade was made up of community businesses and other schools. Don't tell me that I have no school spirit just because I was upset that kids cussed at me. I have more school spirit that a lot of kids do. I participated in the parade and I wore the school colors and I attended the game to watch my best friend's son play - and I am not even from here. No one ever said that we didn't want the kids to have their own section - that's was never the point. And yes, I did do that when I was at school but at my school someone had the common sense to make the student section at the far end of the stadium - not right smack in the middle. But again, that is not the point. The point all along has been that kids do not need to treat others that way, and yes, adults should give kids some respect too, but in no way should a child expect that they should be given respect BEFORE they respect an adult. We are adults - you are children. Get it?

Craig_gal 5 years, 6 months ago

Good point kerrya. I tend to disagree with most of what is written on here. Kids are not allowed to be kids nor are they allowed to make any mistakes in this town so, it seems when they have a little bit of freedom they do not know how to make good sound decisions without someone (generally its not a parent) telling them how to act and how to behave.

With all that being said It sounds like the adults in the crowd were never given the chance to be heard and no one was treating them courteously. Maybe there needs to be etiquette and charm classes back into the curriculum.

native_craig_guy 5 years, 5 months ago

I think that the problem with the kids in the community is taht they act just like their parents. And they are jerks.