Holly Sperry: Angry about recycling

In regards to the column titled, Budget: Recycling is contested, I am outraged about the view that Craig's leaders have about recycling within our community.

Voluntary donations to relieve the city of its "burden" of a recycling program is the wrong way to go. Other states and cities seem to be able to fund their recycling programs just fine. How does Fort Collins do it?

In the past, I have wondered why the city of Craig does not promote its recycling program and why so many residents are unaware that they have a recycling center here in their own community. Those who do know about it say they aren't going to drive north of town to drop a few things off, so I've wondered why the center is not in town? Perhaps it can be moved to the industrial sector of town.

I guess the answer is that since the program is a "burden" to the city, they don't want us knowing it's there.

Other cities charge for extra garbage dumped into landfills. They weigh residents' garbage and charge accordingly. The revenue generated from charging for excess garbage goes to funding the many successful recycling programs around the country. Charging people a fee to recycle would be negative reinforcement. People need to be encouraged to recycle and rewarded for doing so, not punished for doing a good deed.

The article states that, "...the city is forced to take trucks almost daily to the Waste Management recycling plant in Steamboat Springs."

Forced?

I'm sorry that so many people are taking advantage of recycling and are trying to do the right thing.

The article also states that, "'The long and short is that labor and fuel for recycling has gone through the roof,' Call said."

What's the gas mileage on those trucks the city workers drive around in all day? The fuel for those is budgeted in. A couple of trucks may be necessary for the city, but not all of them. Our tax money doesn't need to be spent on gassing up those gas hogs.

The city of Fort Collins invested in Toyota Prius Hybrids for their city workers, and they run about 55 mpg, some as high as 69 mpg. So the long and short of it really is that Craig's City Council doesn't find recycling to be a worthwhile addition to our community, and perhaps they do not realize it is programs like recycling that will attract new residents into our community.

It wouldn't hurt our city officials to jump on the "Go Green" bandwagon just a little bit.

Holly Sperry

Craig

Comments

d81625 5 years, 6 months ago

Earth First lets mine the other planets later.

d81625 5 years, 6 months ago

Better yet you could always call Waste Management your self and arrange to have them make a weekly stop at your house or place of business and and pick up your recyclables, they have the trucks, the knowledge and the resources. All you have to do is make the investment to pay them to come pick up your garbage. Let the city concentrate on more important financial concerns.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately Holly...recycling our throw outs from our daily lives does cost money to pickup and process. So....as roughly 60% (Actually.....it can be near 100%!) of our recyclable daily home refuse goes out to the county dump....at this time, financially, it isn't possible for Moffat county. I gets my crawl as well to throw out plastic bottles, glass, paper, etc....There isn't an easy answer to this issue anytime soon.

As far as mining the hell out of Earth, then on to other planets....I find that comment to be a complete statement of attitudes of non-concern from people that have been dooped by a propaganda machine that dictates a total lack of information on the part of this commenter! The days are coming that we as humans WILL have to start taking care of our environment. ALL OF US!!! Gez...I wonder what is less expensive to do? Recycle or dig more holes in the ground....WHICH TAKES HUNDREDS OF GALLONS OF FUEL AND A HELL OF A LOT OF LABOR AND EQUIPMENT MAiNTENACE....or recycling?!

Mine out the earth.....AND THEN WHAT??!!! Ridiculous statement!

freeman 5 years, 6 months ago

the recycling containers are at the city property just north of craig,,,o my god,what a long drive,,get a grip on yourself

Holy, I may have read that article differently then you and it's been a day or two since it came out, but I'm not to sure the city council is to blame for the complaint. I thought it was Mr. Call who was saying it takes alot of gas and time to take stuff to Steamboat almost every day? This had been brought up once before and I think our Mayor that said something like "we promised people we'd do this and we're not going to give up on it yet"! Now it has been a few months since the first article was printed, so I could have that wrong, but I'm thinking it's not the city council who is complaining. But it has been awhile and I could be wrong. Also while I think hybrids are a great idea, I just don't see how they would be good for city crews to drive around in. What about the shovels and other big dirty nasty things they need to carry around with them to do their jobs through out the day? It doesn't seem to me that the two should go together?!?!?

Really 5 years, 6 months ago

Since Craig doesn't take glass, I wait until I need to go to Hayden or Stbt. and take my glass to Hayden. Guess I can do that with everything if recycling shuts down here. Can someone tell me what day the article was in the paper? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

WakeUpCraig 5 years, 6 months ago

Go Holly! It is discouraging when you go to other towns and they have such sophisticated recycling programs that they provide containers for plastic and the like that are emptied by a recycling truck every week. I know that some towns use inmates to work at the recycling station where materials are sorted and reused right there. I think our recycling program needs a boost, not a cut. Just one more area where Craig lags far behind other towns in this nation.