Francisco Reina: Errors in coaching staff

The main problem with the Moffat County school system, as I see it, is the Moffat County High School administration, or who makes the coaching decisions.

They have made errors in the coaching staff, especially with the soccer team.

The coach has no experience in gaining trust or working with the boys and girls in an honest and professional way. Coaching this way can only show a purpose to disappoint the fan and the team.

I do feel the high school administration can find better ways to spend our tax money that, in return, helps our local children.

Francisco Reina

Craig

Comments

soccermom 5 years, 6 months ago

The current coach has several years experience in coaching soccer, particulary with this group of boys. If there was no trust why would the boys keep coming back year after year. The administrators obviuosly chose the best person that applied. Just because there was one bad year does not mean that the coaching staff or administrtors did not do their job. If you have attended any of the games (which I know I have not seen you there) you would know that the boys are having fun. This year has been a huge learning experience for the boys and both of the coaches. The coaches sticking with these boys through bad seasons and good seasons is what will keep their trust. They need to know that a coach will be there for the long haul, not someone who will be gone after a bad year beacuse they can't handle the negative coments. There are plenty of negatives that I could bring up about you Mr. Reina, but this is not the time or the place.

tamsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Mr Reina, the administration has made some mistakes but maybe not necessarily with the coaches. Thier problem was in hiring the athletic director. Lucky for them that situation has been taken care of. I do think though that some of our coaches are not right for the job. I thought that to be a coach you had to also be a teacher or somehow involved with the schools. Just to work as a substitute or to work in the school kitchen you have to pass a background check - do these guys have to do the same? Just because you can coach a group of kids when they are in the Parks and Rec league does not make you qualified to coach them at the high school level.

native_craig_guy 5 years, 6 months ago

The MAIN problem with the moffat county school district? Come on that is ridiculous. I think that the main problem with our school district is its focus on althetics instead of academics. I think that too many parents focus on the performance of the school's athletic teams and not on their performance in the schools. I know that I want my kids to succeed and have more opportunities in academics like music, speech and debate or more clubs like that rather than their ability to kick a ball into a net. The school needs to focus more energy and time on programs that prepare the students for life in the real world. I have never went into a business meeting and used my soccer skills to negotiate a business transaction. I think that as a community we need to re adjust our priorities and show the school system increased support of academics, not athletics.

Native, I some what agree with you. I've thought many times we need to get back to basics and not worry so much about sports. But there are some kids who will never make it to collage without a sports scholarships. I don't think they should be left out either, but I do think there is more attention placed on them then academics.

bigrred1576 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree that alot of time and money is spent on athletics, but if I recall right, Moffat County sports team have performed above average on acedemic tests. The last two years, we have been number 1 in the state Football teams. Keep up the good works, guys

Native, you could be right. I'm just saying there are those who don't go to collage without that athletic scholareship. I know a girl who graduated from Moffat County a couple years ago. Honor student, the whole ball of was, but she wasn't into sports and never got a single scholarship, but another who was also a good student, good grades PLUS did sports, got tons of them!! ??? I kind of think the sports played a part in one person getting scholarships and one not?!?! but that is just my opinion.

native_craig_guy 5 years, 6 months ago

Lonelyone. I have a hard time agreeing with you on the point that athletic scholarships are the reason why many kids get to go to college. Most high school athletes do not get scholarships and when they do get into college they need to be prepared. Most Moffat County kids that go to college do so without getting an athletic scholarship. I know that there is a focus on academics from within the school. But not from the community. As a community we need to support the academic side of our schools and change our priorities for what we want our kids to accomplish in life. I know that when I was attending school at Moffat County the community at large could care less about academic programs compared to the athletic programs.

dogfan 5 years, 6 months ago

Look around town now and see how many of the kids that graduated last year, excelled in sports and got scholarships are back. The couldn't handle the college life or were not coddled by their new coaches.