Bryce Jacobson: Setting the record straight

What a month! Since our Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2008, issue of the Craig Daily Press hit the streets, we have been bombarded with phone calls regarding our decisions on placement of our news coverage on the presidential election.

We have been contacted by many people who were offended by the front-page story reporting that Moffat County results in the presidential race were different from nationwide results. Some callers were upset with our choice to publish a picture of President-elect Barack Obama; others were frustrated that we didn't have a picture of Obama on the front page.

I am writing today for the simple reason that there is misinformation circulating about our news decisions, and I want readers to know the entire story.

In planning for election coverage in the Daily Press, I had three goals:

• Get in the latest and most complete election coverage possible.

• Get the paper delivered to our customers before they went to work.

• Ensure that our news coverage was fair and balanced.

I made the decision the week before the election to leave pages 1, 2, 27 and 28 open for election results. I did so because these four pages are printed on the same press unit, thereby saving us time in the production process and giving us the ability to accomplish our goals with a later deadline.

I also was very interested in the results of the local district attorney race, so we had plans to wait as long as possible in an attempt to get those results into the paper on that Wednesday.

I strongly believe that local news should be the primary focus of the Daily Press. I can't remember a time when national news was on the front page of the Craig Daily Press since I became publisher. I believe wholeheartedly in the decision to lead with local news regarding the presidential race and jump to a more nationally focused story.

I believe that the majority of readers of the Daily Press already knew the results of the presidential election by the time they picked up the Nov. 5 paper.

I believe it is our job to inform Craig readers of what is happening locally first, then, as space allows, to provide readers with as much state and national news possible.

This decision was not made based on President-Elect Barack Obama's race or party. The decision was based on the fact that the Craig Daily Press serves Craig and Moffat County. I knew it was important to include coverage of the presidential race in the paper, and that we did, on the back page. Furthermore, it was on the back page because of the schedule we were on to print the paper.

When the presidential race was called, we already had sent many pages to the press, and so our choices of placement were limited.

While you may not agree with our decision, I hope that after reading this column, you will understand my motivation.

Comments

Isis 5 years, 4 months ago

Bryce,

Thanks for taking the time to give an explanation. It must be hard to balance all of the things you spoke of regarding your motivation. You are correct, I don't agree with your decision. I also do not think it was a racial decision. It was simply a mistake.

I understand wanting to put Craig & Moffat County news in the forefront. I think most folks appreciate this too. I ask that you also remember that we are part of a bigger world. A world that most of our children will be exposed to as they grow and migrate out of Craig.

By placing our president elect on the back page you mistakenly sent a message that the presidental results are not important, and respect for our new leader is not warranted. This is the impression that The Daily Press gave me. I admit I was disappointed.

I do appreciate the thoughtfullness with which you have given your explanation. Hey, it gave us all something to discuss. :-)

Ray Cartwright 5 years, 4 months ago

I also appreciate the fact that CDP puts local news first over national coverage. It didn't bother me that the picture of the President Elect was in the back of the paper as I already knew those results having stayed up watching the national coverage. I was more interested the next morning what the results at the state level were. It is a pet peeve of mine to turn on a Denver TV station and all you get is national news and nothing from around Colorado, I have always felt that if I want National news I can turn over to CNN or a national syndicate for that. Thank you CDP for keeping our local newspaper just that, LOCAL

I say it's over and done with. We all know by now who won and the paper can't take back what they did for whatever reason they did it. Let's move on!

Globe 5 years, 4 months ago

Uhhh --- I say anyone who thinks the Press put BHO's (also known as Barry Soetoro, but he didn't like the initials BS so he started going by BHO) picture on the back for racial reasons is a Douche-bag pure and simple. If you knew any of those people you would know that you're talking out of your Ars if you think any of them are racist or bigoted. That lady who wrote the letter is an Idiot, who's foolish rantings didn't merrit a response by the editor or anyone.

50cal 5 years, 4 months ago

thats the best I've heard globe. nice i like it.

No She's not. And don't call people names like that! Shame on both you guys.

Isis 5 years, 4 months ago

ditto to lonelyone Express your thoughts but do so in an intelligent and respectful manner please.

grannyrett 5 years, 4 months ago

Globe-Some days when you post, I just get a good chuckle. Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Globe 5 years, 4 months ago

What's worse, calling someone a biggot and a racist or calling someone an idiot and a douche-bag? Make note that I said "...anyone who thinks..." Since the lady who wrote the article obviously likes to imply that our paper is bigoted and racist, I think it is perfectly fine to imply that anyone who thinks the CDP are is a douche-bag and an idiot. She attacked a persons character and person-hood, while I am attacking her intelligence. In this case my response is merrited.

I don't. I still think that is not nice to say. How would you like it if someone didn't like what your wife said and then called her a douche-bag for it. I think that is a nasty term and you should be ashamed for using it!

50cal 5 years, 4 months ago

maybe if she got a good flushing she wouldn't have such a foul opinion of the paper and everyone who thinks different about her savior than she does!

Globe 5 years, 4 months ago

Sorry lonelyone, but you are referring to the Webster Dictionary definition of the word and that is why you take offense. If we consult the Urban Dictionary we get the following definition (which is the nicest definition online):

Douche bag (doosh bag) noun: An individual who has an over inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intelligence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic they appear.

It should be noted that a Douche-bag is not to be confused with an @$$hole, because most @$$holes call douche-bags, a douche-bag and are quite proud of the fact that they are @$$holes.

Thanks,

You mean I have to go get another dictionary just to figure out if someone is being insulting or not?? Holy Moly! I'm to old for this stuff!! However, we now have a new term that YOU, Globe came up with, Forum Frenzy, which we can use to call FOUL when somone is really bad. I know one or two who will get it alot!!! lol

redneckgirl 5 years, 4 months ago

Boy you all got naughty since i've been away. (except you lonely...)

I know where to get coal for those who deserve it, but since we pretty much go around making comments and not knowing who we all are, I don't know how to get it to those who deserve it!! But that would also include me cuz I was thinking some not so nice thoughts about Globes D.B comment.......and I don't care what dictionary he's looking at, I still think i'ts not nice! Guess I'm too old for some of this. ;o}