Rec center campaign put on hold

— The Community Recreation Center Steering Committee will hold off on asking local residents to fund a new rec center.

During its Tuesday night meeting at Craig City Hall, the group decided to plan for a ballot question to fund construction in November 2009, at the earliest.

The group previously considered a question in the past general election Nov. 4, or during the April 2009 election.

The ballot question would ask Moffat County voters to raise taxes for the project. Possible avenues discussed were a 1-cent sales tax increase or collecting grants and other financial gifts from private donors.

"I think we ought to wait because of the fact of the economy and the way it is," steering committee member Tony St. John said. "It's just not the right time."

Committee member Erin Miller added she thinks the group should stay flexible with the date and not do anything too soon, even if that pushes the ballot question past 2009.

No one present at the steering committee's Tuesday night meeting wanted to give up on the project, though. Several members said they thinks a rec center would benefit Moffat County.

Terry Crouse, 58, said some in the community have the mistaken impression that a rec center is only about having fun.

Crouse suffers from fibromyalgia, a disorder that causes pain throughout her muscles and joints. Exercise can help lessen her symptoms, but only if it is not a high-impact activity, such as lifting weights or running long distances.

Swimming in a pool, however, has been helpful, Crouse said.

"The pool has been excellent," she said. "It's changed my life."

Crouse worries Craig's two indoor pools - run by the American Legion and Moffat County School District - may not be around for many more years. Both have had sporadic and sometimes very costly problems that prevent them from staying open.

Other steering committee members also brought up economic benefits to the community, such as making Craig into a more attractive community for businesses and professionals who want to relocate.

St. John said the rec center can include other attractions besides what is found in a health club, such as a large convention room and other meeting space that might bring more visitors to the area.

The steering committee will next meet at 7 p.m. Jan. 20, when a representative from Sink Combs Dethlefs will appear to discuss the project's future. Dethlefs is a Denver-based architecture firm hired to help the group hold community meetings and put together a budget and preliminary plan design for the types of attractions the community wants.

The group won't meet in December because of the holidays.

Comments

als362 5 years, 10 months ago

I am so tired of people constantly bringing up this rec center business. Don't these people get it? How many times do they have to read negative responses to this issue before they understand that this is not something people want to raise taxes for? How many options need to be shown to this group, before they look in another direction? Many funding options have been suggested in the last several months either in letters to the editor, or in the comment lines here. Yet, the only thing these idiots can think of is taxes. If these people want this facility then they had better start to look at other ways to fund it besides taxes. If they are so one sided that they cannot do that, then they should just quit now, and not waste any more time on it.

grannyrett 5 years, 10 months ago

Sounds as if someone had parents who never told them "no". They don't seem to understand what it means.

lostyermarbles 5 years, 10 months ago

your right there! no mean's no. how much do they think we tax payer's can absorb?? school, hospital...taxes. How bout they use the old hospital, does it need to be new?? I don't think so..It would need to be used for something. and try it to see if we really have the need before investing a million in it!! How bout they have a fund raiser to fix the pool at the veterans place to benefit them??

grannyrett 5 years, 10 months ago

lost--At one time, the county owned the old Shadow Mountain Clubhouse, before they turned it over or sold it to the American Legion. They didn't want it. It isn't any near as big as Dave Pike, Tony St. John and others want. They want a regulation size swimming pool. They want a gym. I don't know what else they want, but, I do know that the Legion is no where big enough.

lostyermarbles 5 years, 10 months ago

granny.... hmmmmm maybe they ought to build them a pool then huh?? We already have gyms around or they could have one in their house but don't ask us to pay for their want huh?? I would like alot of stuff too...

grannyrett 5 years, 10 months ago

lost--I didn't mean to give the impression that I supported a rec center. I don't. The Shadow Mountain clubhouse used to have a weight room off the locker rooms. I don't know if they still do. If people feel their kids need something to do, give them chores. Seems as if I didn't have a lot of time left after I got my chores done to go out and goof around. With winter on the way, there are sidewalks to be shoveled, hills to be sled, and an ice rink to skate on. Good gosh! There are all sorts of things for kids to do. It probably wouldn't hurt some parents to get out there with their kids. Build some memories that will last a lifetime. That's what kids should be doing--with their parents.

George Robertson 5 years, 10 months ago

What a novel concept.....let your children go OUTSIDE and play. (Taxpayers don't have to fund that.) When I was a kid the WORST thing you could say was "I'm bored". My parents has PLENTY of chores they could assign to keep you from being bored.

grannyrett 5 years, 10 months ago

nimrod--My parents were that way too. When I was growing up there wasn't time to be bored. I have wonderful memories of going places and doing things with my parents. They knew how to be parents. Many kids now don't have that. My kids and grandkids have those kind of memories too. I didn't expect the city or county to entertain my kids.

lostyermarbles 5 years, 10 months ago

nimrod and granny.. no I agree. don't know how that came across wrong. any way, yeh they are their kid's, take care of them parent's don't rely on a rec center to do it for you after school. Spend some time with them!!

freeman 5 years, 10 months ago

I BELIEVE THE LEGION PURCHASED THE CLUBHOUSE AND LAND FOR 250,000 FROM THE COUNTY WHO ORGINALLY BOUGHT FOM FROM THE PLANT FOR APP 2 DOLLARS AN ACRE.CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, THERE WERE SEVERAL ITEMS THAT THE COUNTY SAID WAS WORKING AND COME TO FIND ,,,,WASNT..THE LEGION HAS SPENT ALOT OF MONEY FIXING THE ITEMS NOT WORKING..THEY STILL HAVE THE WEIGHTS AND POOL,SAUNA AND ARE DOING A EXCELLENT JOB TO EVEN MAKE IT NICER.