Karina Weiman: Shocked and amused

— To the editor:

I am shocked and a bit amused about the amount of fuss that has been made regarding the Craig Daily Press' decision to put Barack Obama's picture on the last page of the paper the day after his election.

I am further shocked and amused that people - for example, Ellen Johnson - have gone so far as to turn it into a racial issue.

It seems to me that a person cannot say anything about Obama without being accused of being racist.

I didn't vote for Obama because of his values and the decisions he wants to make (decisions that affect my right to own a gun and decisions that affect my source of income that comes from working in the coal industry, just to name a couple).

My vote for McCain had absolutely nothing to do with the color of Obama's skin. I am not racist. And not voting for Obama doesn't make me racist, nor do the negative comments I make about Obama being elected into office.

The Craig Daily Press' decision not to put his picture on the front of the paper had everything to do with reporting local news (a community where the vast majority of Moffat County citizens voted for McCain) and nothing to do with race.

The comment made by Ellen Johnson, "It reminded me of when our black brothers and sisters had to sit in the back of the bus so many years ago," was ridiculous.

Are you kidding me?

Ellen Johnson, instead of focusing on past, resolved issues (because none of my black brothers and sisters have been forced to sit in the back of the bus recently) maybe you should concern yourself with the fact that me and my union brothers and sisters will most likely be forced to sit in the back of the unemployment bus should Obama go through with heavily taxing the coal industry.

And I had to laugh when I read your comment, "It was a sad reality to see the paper after the joy of great unity the night before." Hilarity. I don't know where you were the night before election, but I definitely wasn't feeling any joy the night before or the day after election.

In fact, I woke up wanting to empty my 401K, take the money to the store and buy all the canned and dry food, bottled water, guns and ammunition I possibly could, hole myself up in my home and wait for Obama's relatives (aka al-Qaida) to come to America flying first class on Air Force One. Sound crazy? Maybe. But not as crazy as Ellen Johnson's letter to the editor and anyone else's opinion that not printing Obama's picture on the front page of the paper was done because of his race.

Anything negative said or done regarding Obama can be twisted into a racial issue, but the reality, Ellen Johnson, is that we don't care what color he is - the vast majority of Craig cares about being able to keep our rights to bear arms and the right to work in the coal and oil industry, an industry that supports the very community you live in, without the fear of becoming unemployed. And really, do you seriously think you're qualified to say whether Obama is right in the eyes of God?

Come on. You're kidding, right?

Karina Weiman

Comments

vic 5 years, 5 months ago

Typically it is because they have no "intelligent" defense, so they have to name call to create a diversion. Thanks for the prayers - I think we need them.

gem 5 years, 5 months ago

first off, barak doesn't want to get rid of your guns you ignorant, ignorant person; he wants to ban assault riffles...as well as he should. second, he's not going to mess with your coal job; he wants to make it hard to open a new power plant; and focus on making more effective, cleaner energy sources. take a look people, mccain was for the same issues. it is well documented...there's even VIDEO of him talking in front of the senate about it... it WAS a racist thing for them to put it on the back page, it was a historical thing that happened!!!! it was the biggest news in the country that day...is that NOT what NEWS papers are all about? the craig daily press is a news paper and yes, it is in moffat county, yes more people here voted for mccain, but our news is supposed to be fair and un-bias. you saying that your not racist and that comments made about obama that you have said are not racist; "In fact, I woke up wanting to empty my 401K, take the money to the store and buy all the canned and dry food, bottled water, guns and ammunition I possibly could, hole myself up in my home and wait for Obama's relatives (aka al-Qaida) to come to America flying first class on Air Force One." that sounds a little racist to me...his relative "al-qaida"...his closest relatives are his grandma (rip) and his grandpa, who by the way are WHITE!!!! his grandpa fought for this great country of ours. people don't even know what he stands for, or against. they say he's muslim (which he's not) they say he swore in on the koran (which he didn't, take a look yourself, it's clearly a bible...and btw, it's HIS very own bible) they say he's the anit-christ (take a closer look at the bible, he doesn't fit the mold; i also think this is the most ridiculous ignorant thing being said) and You/people say that he's related to al-quida...GROW UP!
YOU don't even know what he stood for (ie. coal, guns) you obviously just listened to what people had to say instead of researching it yourself. this town is so one sided it makes me sick. but i'm here for a COAL job, and it pays good, so i'll stay for a while, but just know...i'm not afraid of my income, it's going to still be here, i'm not stupid... i DID vote for barak and can not wait until the day you all get over yourselves and realize he IS the man for the job. ignorance, ma'am, is bliss...and you, sound very, very blissful. thanks and have a good night.

emery bear 5 years, 5 months ago

gem the one who is in igonrant bliss seems to be you obama supporters...you all just supported a marxist socialist and that comes from his own words...you just supported a man who associates with known terroist...you just suported a man for president who has said our consitution is fundamentally flawed...you just supported a man for president who lied to us all on public finance for his campaign...who just suppoorted a man who has said that he will bankrupt any new coal power palnts, and if you think he will not go after the current coal industry you are past ignorance and in to the blind faith...you just supported a man who has done teaching for a group involved in voter fraud...you just supported a man who comes from a city with strict gun control yet is more violent than irag...you just supported man who took untracable money for his campaign...you just supported a man who's supporters call anyone racist who does not agree with him or is cirtical of him...not even God ask for such blind faith.

vic 5 years, 5 months ago

Sadly, the race card is going to be pulled time and again as people across the country disagree with Obama's policies. While I admit in some cases (mostly the older generation) race was an issue in this election, but overall, it was not. I heard more black people say they were voting for Obama because he is black than I heard white people say they would not vote for him because he is black. There is always disagreement between the parties because of policy. There has been Bush bashing for years and I have not once heard someone say it is because he is a white man. And, I have even heard people refer to Bush as the anti-Christ and again, not because he is white. Am I to think now that all the black people of our country who do like Bush are simply racist? And what about the black people who do not like Obama? What are they? If people continue to pull the race card, racism will never die. I would think this past election would show those people that to most, race is not an issue. If only black people had voted for Obama, he would not be our President elect. In addition, take a look around...we have had "people of color" in power positions for decades. Pulling the race card is a lame excuse. If Obama were white, the same people would be complaining for the same reasons - his policy and his party.

As for me, I don't care if his skin is green...I just want him to do a good job for our country. My biggest concern is his lack of experience, but I have to believe he is intelligent enough to surround himself with experienced players. And as for me, I stand as an American and will support our President whether I like or dislike, agree or disagree, voted for or against. We are the greatest nation in the world because of our democracy and unity. The race card does not play in this game.

Blondi 5 years, 5 months ago

I just don't understand why - when someone voices their opinion - that folks have to jump in and start calling them names. I for one respect everyone's right to say what they feel. I think Karina had a nice letter and I know that I am sure running scared. I truly don't beleive that he is who he says he is. Why should I feel that way? Well, it's all the stuff I've read and heard about and. . . where do you go to research when the research is false? My own kids tell me . . . they are sorry I feel the way I do and that the WHOLE WORLD loves him and thinks he is the man for the job. I have a right to disagree. It puts me in mind of a herd of sheep - you get one sheep headed off in a certain direction and before you know it, the entire herd is following after him....Why? They don't know...they just follow along not knowing where they are going - just thinking it is the thing to do because all the rest of the sheep are following too.

I know about the depression days and going hungry and having to wear the same clothes day after day because there wasn't any money. I'm just an "oldie" (but goodie) so just brush me under the carpet because I don't count. But please don't call me names just because I didn't vote for him. Reckon I'll just go out in the back pasture and get down on my knees and pray to the good Lord that he will protect us - ignorant ones and all.

mfbbf 5 years, 5 months ago

Well put Karina. A little pre-election story. My mother lives in California. She voted early, and was talking with a co-worker, who had also voted early. Their conversation led to which presidential candidate each voted for. The co-worker, who is black, looked my mother straight in the eye and said very seriously, "I voted my color". Did she know anything about the issues, or what Obama stood for? I don't know. But if so, that's the kind of ignorance that will destroy this country. I also did not vote for Obama, but because of his positions. I worry about the future of this town now that he is in office. Anyone who believes Obama is not against guns or coal fired plants (yes this includes you gem) is naive. The simple truth is Obama is bad for rural areas. I'll be moving to a larger city next year, and I believe it will be just in time.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Hot dang that was good Karina. I loved every bit bit of that. Futher more people use race to stop critics in their tracks. After all, you have to go on and on about how your not racist before you can even get to your point.

So here's what I do. I take something form them for using that arguement. I make it cost them. I make them give up some of the power of guilt over anyone listening to the conversation. I say, "I'm under 40 and thanks to Martain I've never done anything to any black person. I insist black people asume I'm not racist and I feel no need to state that I'm not. Further more I feel zero guilt over what happend to them, it wasn't me."

Guilt is the real power people seek to have over you when they use the race card. Take it from them!

nikobesti 5 years, 5 months ago

Let me start by saying I do not agree with Ellen Johnson that the Craig Daily Press not putting Obama on the front page had something to do with race. It did not folks. Get over it.

Now, let me say a few things to these ignorant, paranoid commenters, including Karina Weiman. Karina, if you indeed wanted to "hole myself up in my home and wait for Obama's relatives (aka al-Qaida) to come to America," then you definitely hold some irrational bigotry towards Obama. Why would Obama be related to al-Qaeda? He's not Muslim. He's not Arab. (Even if he were, that in no way makes him sympathetic or related to al-Qaeda). You have to have made that statement out of biased ignorance, because no rational thought could have lead you to that conclusion. I hope you DO hole yourself up in your house and don't come out for a long, long time.

ebear did a great job regurgitating Rush Limbaugh talking points, spewing ridiculous statements about marxists and socialists. LOL! Blondi says it's wrong to not respect someone else's opinion and call names, but she seems to have no problem with Karina and other commenters berating and disrespecting Ellen Johnson and our president-elect. At least vic is willing to keep an open mind and judge Obama by his actions, not accusations from people who hate him.

You folks are the sheep. Sheep follow lies unquestionably. Sheep believe the fear peddling, smears, and scare tactics. I would kindly ask you to get some accurate information from factcheck.org or some other reputable source, but I know you don't want accurate information. You WANT to believe the hate and fear being spread.

So go right ahead. I have a lot of respect for any Republican or other American who want to work together to make our country better, even if their guy didn't win. But for those who continue to believe and spread ignorant lies and fear, I am quite happy that your hate and paranoia will fester in your hearts for the next 4+ years.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I've talked to three people today that I used to work with. Everyone of them brought up food storage and they stated they were doing it. I didn't bring it up they did. After all the things I heard about how people felt if Obama and Nancy started banning guns and now this from other people about food storage. I'd say things are not as KUM BY YAH as the democrats think they are. Gun sales are up 400%. The next 1-4 years could get interesting. When I look in the mirror in the morning I feel things are going to be okay, then I remember Nancy and Obama can do whatever they want. Then I start to worry again.

nikobesti 5 years, 5 months ago

Patrick and other Moffat County residents: I guarantee, yes I guarantee that you will be able to keep your guns. Gun laws are #100 out of 100 priorities on Obama's plate. His top priorities are the economy, energy, then heath care, education and the war in Iraq. He could care less about guns, because most Americans aren't that concerned either. Was it ever even mentioned in the campaign? Isn't that some indication of how this isn't an issue? Plus, if you guys have been watching the news, you know that about 6 months ago the Supreme Court found that it was unconstitutional to ban guns in Washington DC. This is America, folks, not Nigeria. We don't have a dictator, we have a president and two other branches of the government, not to mention a constitution. There are checks and balances in this nation. Even if he wanted to, a president can't just do anything he wants. We've been a nation for over 200 years and you think because of one election America is going to come to an end. Can you see how ridiculous that sounds?

The same goes for coal. You have to be really, I mean really paranoid to think Obama is going to shut down coal mines. Would he just leave people without electricity? That would be great PR! Come on people, put emotion aside and think logically. We need EVERY SINGLE FORM of energy at our fingertips if we are to become energy independent, which everyone agrees should be our goal. How in the world can we afford to shut down coal plants or stop drilling for oil and gas? I am willing to bet my life savings that we'll gave NEW coal plants and oil and gas wells under Obama's administration.

Please. Take it easy. This is America. No one is going to take away your guns or shut down coal mines or power plants. Take a deep breath and step out of the bomb shelter.

vic 5 years, 5 months ago

You are right nik - the President actually does not have as much power as people would like to believe. He can't just wake up one morning and decide to shut down coal mines or send a militia out to confiscate guns. Congress should be a bigger fear for people than the President and even they cannot do whatever they want. Even with Democrats basically in charge, there are, like you say, checks and balances and a Constitution. One good example off the top of my head would be abortion laws. Every Republican President (and even some Democrats) are pro-life - you haven't seen Roe Vs Wade overturned...and you won't.

I believe the media and election extremists caused most of this upset amongst the masses. I personally did not vote for Obama, but I am not living in fear of what MIGHT happen. I truly hope everyone and everything comes together and the guy does a great job because that is what is best for our country. So, Obama was elected (by the people) as the President of the United States. I am an American, so that makes him my President for the next 4 years. If we have any luck at all, he will be awesome and we will all want to reelect him for 4 more.

In addition, I do not believe Obama can fix our economy, just like I don't believe Bush caused the breakdown. It is the greedy Wall Street moguls in combination with the little guys hitting the panic button. My intent is to keep living my life as normal. Live for today and plan for tomorrow. We have had some great Presidents and we have had some horrible Presidents...and here we all are...still living the American Dream.

Klock 5 years, 5 months ago

When leaving for college, whenever a person asks me where I am from I take pride in saying that I was born and raised in Craig, Colorado. Karina and the others response to Ellan Johnson's remarks about the picture in the paper is an embarrassment to all people from Craig. Your ignorance to Obama is pathetic and gives Craig a bad name. It seems to me that the whole point of this election was for change because our economy is in ruins. Obviously some people in Craig hate the sound of change, probably the reason why our town is just getting a college and new hospital. Maybe you Katrina and the select few, need to get out of the town of Craig for once and experience a little more than what you are obviously lacking. This is a time for all Americans to come together to rebuild our country and come together no matter who our leader is, but with people like you that is very distant. Your lack of education is ridiculous on these subject matters. When these topics come up there's always a thing called voting or writing your local congressman. I can tell right now that you wont even take that step at all, instead you will sit back and cry because your too lazy to do anything. Can't believe I'm only in my early twenties and I'm telling you to grow and get over yourself. Accept that the rest of country has voted and wants Obama. Be an American because I can tell you are lacking that quality about yourself right now. I would like to Thank Ellen Johnson for writing that article to the editor. I take pride in being an American and support my newly elected president as should the rest of the country. I do respect that you disagree with a few of his policies as do I, but I know I will be out voting when I disagree.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe anything is going to happen to our right to by AR15's either. I don't think Obama will push that button that will set gun owners off in unknow directions. I just wish my gut would back me up on that.

emery bear 5 years, 5 months ago

interesting nikobesti that you accuse me of regurgitating Rush Limbaugh talking points..i don't listen to limbaugh....i am still waiting for the obamaites or him to answer about his Actions concerining his own words and actions chosing his marixist college professors carefully to be his friends...and it was obama who said he would bankrupt any new coal plants and i could go no and on but the obmaites don't wnat ot see or hear the truth about thier savior... by the way klock i have lived in europe, south america, japan and most of the U.S. and have chosen Craig, Co to settle and am proud of the majority of clear thinking people who live here...its Your ignorance of Obama that is pathetic and troubling how you all have been lead like sheep by the pide piper of a new socialist movement...for all you college educated folks out there, its the college educated people who have brought down this economy...it amazes me that the very suits that have brought us down are meeting in Washingtion DC, dinning like money is no object, trying to fix the mess they created...blue collar working people did not create the financial stuff that brought the world to bankruptcy...but they will be the ones that suffer the most. klock you haven't lived enough to be giving out advice on being and American...and all this coming together crap is crap.. i will not support a marxist socialist, that would be a betrayal of what i belive to be American...i didn't see a lot of the bush haters supporting the current president.

emery bear 5 years, 5 months ago

nikobesti looks like you just lost your life savings as the epa has been blocked from issuing a permit for a new coal plant in Utah and 100 other coal plants in the making (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1152ap_coal_plants.html)...and no vic we will not wake one morning and coal mines shut down and guns gone it will be a slower proccess as our rights are whittled away in the name of protecting us and making the world a safer place...which is currently under way from global warming liars...

Isis 5 years, 5 months ago

Klock, wonderful, well thought out comment. I am proud to say you hail from Craig as well. You are a perfect example of the saying "maturity has nothing to do with age." An open mind allows thoughts to flow both ways and creates greater understanding. My hope is that Craig has produced more young adults just like you :-)

Ebear, that stuff is already happening in our country. Slowly but surely things are being taken from us and if it continues, it's not Obama's fault. It's our fault for letting it happen. As for food storage, Patrick, the LDS have been doing that forever. I'ts not a new practice by anymeans. Coal fired power plants are being blocked across the states, but it's not because of Obama. Tri-State has been trying to build one in Kansas for a few years. But the Govener has shot down the permits each and everytime they've been applied for. We, the people wanted, someone new and different then Bush. I don't know if Obama is the right person for the job, but he got it and I can only hope that those that spoke the loudest were right in getting him elected. He can't change things over night and he can't just change things cuz he woke up cranky one morning. Yes there are things that get done without our knowing about it, but there are many times we do and if we don't like it write letters, make phone calls, bug the hell out of your Senator and Congressman.

Neal Harkner 5 years, 5 months ago

Emery, be careful saying things like "for all you college educated folks out there, its the college educated people who have brought down this economy."

That's a pretty broad brush you're wielding there. That statement makes it seem as if people should feel ashamed for trying to further themselves.

I can assure you I have a college degree and I had nothing to do with the economic meltdown. My family and I live well within our means. Both our cars are paid off and our house is the only long-term debt we have.

Washington merely put the bullet in the chamber by deregulating the financial sector. The American consumer (blue and white collar) bears the blame for pulling the trigger. Nobody was ordered to max out 6 credit cards buying flat screen TVs and iPhones, nor were they held at gunpoint until they bought a Lincoln Navigator or a half-million dollar house on a $40,000 a year salary.

I didn't want to believe it but there is still deep-seated racism in this country. Obama hasn't even taken the oath of office yet and there are reports across the country of racist anti-Obama graffitti popping up. Who would've thought we'd have cross burnings in 21st Century America but we have.

Truly pathetic if you ask me.

vic 5 years, 5 months ago

ebear - that's correct - our rights have been and will continue to whittle away in the "all knowing, what's best for us" way that our government works. Take for example the smoking bans. Smokers know it is bad for them and choose to smoke anyway, so the government has to step in, slap our wrists and ground us from smoking. This process had been taking place for years and brought about by the anti-smokers badgering our government. Electing Obama for President is not going to change that process. If McCain had won the election, that process would still not change. Again, I believe Congress should be feared more than the President. The only way to make changes (or prevent changes) is to email, write, fax, call your Congressmen and Senators. They are your direct representatives.

Harkner - I agree it is the American consumer who has pulled the trigger. The mortgage crisis was caused by people accepting loans for more than they could pay. When I shopped for a mortgage, I was literally badgered by the lender to take $350K. I opted instead to take $125K because that is what I could comfortably afford. I am not real sure I understand all this mortgage bail out business going on now, but I am going to be damn mad if those people with champagne tastes living on beer budgets get their mortgages paid off free and clear. And I have to insert here...how many of these people are illegals? And when is the illegal immigration problem going to be addressed? Perhaps there would be more jobs for Americans if we had less illegals.

And yes, the show of racism is pathetic. Again, I did not vote for Obama, but it had nothing to do with the color of his skin. I would have voted for Colin Powell in a heartbeat...and if Obama had been a white guy on the opposing ticket, I still would not have voted for him based on the same feeling I have now. He is lacking in experience and I do not approve of his policies. In addition, I find it dangerous for either party to be in control. But, I guess we will see what happens.

Sure, stock up on food - prices at the grocery are skyrocketing. Guns and ammo? That may be a bit overboard. Of course I guess we still need to consider the Winter Solstice of 2012...when we pass through the Black Hole and get knocked on our axis leaving us with no power and light. ;-)

nikobesti 5 years, 5 months ago

ebear: I never said you had to fall in line and support Obama. You don't. In this country we can descent. I would like if you stopped spreading lies and fear, but that's your right too. The new fear card is "socialism!" or "Marxism!" You might be older than I am but you obviously haven't studied history. We've had government run schools in this nation for a long time. Taxes have ALWAYS had some element of re-distribution. Social Security and Medicare are also programs that re-distribute money from the haves to the have-nots. If you wanted to sound the "socialist!!" alarm, you should have done it long ago.

Check out this quote by Teddy Roosevelt:

"Our aim is to recognize what Lincoln pointed out: The fact that there are some respects in which men are obviously not equal; but also to insist that there should be an equality of self-respect and of mutual respect, an equality of rights before the law, and at least an approximate equality in the conditions under which each man obtains the chance to show the stuff that is in him when compared to his fellows."

Notice the last sentence. What a socialist! Remember the real John McCain who opposed Bush's 2001 tax cut, saying it was unfairly tilted toward the rich? Socialist!!! Adam Smith, Milton Friedman, and Richard Nixon have pitched plans similar to Obama's. Marxists!

Let's talk in 2 years, then 4. You'll still have your guns and we'll still have a lot of good folks in Craig working at ColoWyo, Trapper and 20-mile. Then you'll look like a paranoid fool.

Regarding your news article about a power plant being denied by EPA in Utah, unless I missed something, Obama isn't president yet and didn't have a darn thing to do with that decision. This was denied under the Bush Administration. Does that make him a socialist environmentalist and enemy of rural Americans?

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Hay lonelyone, How's it going? Good I hope. Congrats on 47. I think we helped out on that one.

I know the LDS have been told for a lot of years, maybe over a century to always have a years worth of food storage on hand. (Which very few do) The people I've talked to in the stores and what not are not of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That's all I was meaning.

emery bear 5 years, 5 months ago

nikobesti,Adam Smith, Milton Friedman, and Richard Nixon did not write in thir memoirs that they chose their marxist college professors carefully to be their close friends...socialist alram has been sounded and will continue to be sounded...i don't see an ounce of socialist in Teddy Roosevelt quote, what a stretch....if you had done any research and read the article you would know that bush was against it, the sierra club was behind the suit the epa lost, that stopped the mines, and if you for a moment think the powerful evironmental lobby will not use this to push the dems and obama you just don't have "half sense and one eye". And this taxes are a redistrubution of wealth is a sham, a smoke screen...a complete rationalization to justify a socialist path the dems, including obama, want to take...i may be a parnoid fool now, in a few years will see if your a ostrich with its head buried in the sand.

emery bear 5 years, 5 months ago

i mean stoped the power plants...due to glogal warming...which obama backs.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Jesus!!! How much more will the lies continue.

Bill Ayers is "NOT" a bosom pal of Obama. Obama is not a Marxists, he's not a Muslim, he's not a terrorists, etc, etc, etc. Fox News...oh...I mean Fake News via Rupert Murdoch's propaganda ministers such as O"Reilly, Brit Hume Shepard Smith, etc, etc....that would be the last place a person should go to gather "True" information about anything!!!!

I've been called Comrade....I've been told that we'll all have to learn Russian....been told we'll all have to learn how to do the "Goose Step", etc, etc, etc, etc. It's pure child like mentality that buys into this sort of propaganda information twisting. JESUS A. CHRIST!!!!

It "WAS" pretty ridiculous for the Daily News to place Obama's picture on the back page. I bet is McBush and Bobble Head Palin had won...they're ugly mugs would have been PAGE #1!!! But truly...why do any of you give a damn anyways about a God Damned picture!!! Get the hell over it for God sake. There's too damned many other things and issues "ALL" of us should be worried about. Like thanks to the current administration...which I bet most of you commenter's voted for...this country is some pretty deep doo doo!! It's not gonna make a damns worth of difference about coal fired power plants if this countries economy completely busts. NONE OF US WILL HAVE A JOB THEN!! CORRECT??!!! Coal fired power plants will still be around when most of us are dead from old age.

The last thing the Democratic Party leaders are gonna allow....is a radical transformation to the extreme left. Most of you probably don't believe in socialism. Unfortunately for that concept...we all do believe in a socialistic society. How? Fire department....Police Department....FDA....NTSB....Social Security....THE MILITARY!!! Even the services of the Moffat County services or such as CDOT. Want me to continue?

After eight years of a group of traitors spitting on the Constitution...why the hell are so many of you pissed off that Obama won? Like the Republicans have been true Patriotic leaders these last eight years? They respect your 2nd & 4th Amendment rights?! Good God Almighty!!!

grannyrett 5 years, 5 months ago

Cantstand--Take your own advice and get over it.

50cal 5 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm you might want to pick up the newest copy of Bill Ayers book where on the back cover he finally calls it right and says that he counts Obama as a close personal friend. amazing how that comes out now. It doesn't matter if Obama counts himself as a Muslim or not the Muslim world does and finally maybe you should listen to his own words to see if he is a Marxist or not. your blind faith in Barack Obama is amusing to watch but scary.

45calibur1911 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree, the man is a marxist. the only ignorant people are the obama supporters. i love how stupid people want ARs banned. what is so damn scary about those? a pistol grip, to be fired from the hip? a bayonet?- the last time anyone used a bayonet in conflict was in the ia drang valley, viet. Nov 1965. teliscoping stock? theres still a 16-20 inch barrel on there isnt so easy to hide. really if she wants to empty her 401k let her shes bein smart in this communist world we now live in. hell pass some funds my way im not making enough as it is to play it smart like her.

50cal 5 years, 5 months ago

I cashed mine in. all the more money to buy weapons and ammo before the communist gets into office. stupid liberals.

Yes, Patrick, I am tickled to death that we won 47! I grew up around the LDS and have a few memebers in my family. As younger person I wondered at their practice of having food stored up, but with todays prices maybe that's not sure a bad thing to do. Course, Betty Crocker, I ain't and if it doesn't come out of a box or can I'm not much good at fix'n it!! lol As for the anger that is coming out of these posts, it distresses me alot to read them. I can only hope that those of you who are predicting some much gloom and doom are wrong in the end and Obama will turn out to be ok. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just hoping you are!

rhammel 5 years, 5 months ago

Sure am glad I stayed out of this one! The name calling is getting to be infantile.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

grannyrett.......as if I'm worried what you think about me....NOT!! Hell....if you ladies and gents want a revolution...why don't you organized one and get it going?!! My question to any of you...why didn't you get pissed off at the current bunch of TERRORIST to the Constitution?!! You know who I'm referring to. Those traitors that have names such as Bush...Cheney...Rumsfeld...Wolfowitz...Abrams. Rove, Addington, etc, etc, etc. You have these fascists pigs right in your sights and yet you slam someone you've been told is a terrorist supporter by who?! McBush? No wait...that's right...that goofy retarded bitch at one of McBush's town hall meeting and McCain stated publicly that you don't need to fear Obama. BUT HOLD ON!!! You people must be listening/watching Fake News and good ol' Shawn Hannity!!

Why don't you fellers go after those propaganda ministers that openly supported the lies and the liars that told them to start a unilateral war with who? A country rich in oil? Why don't you ask Cheney about that map of Iraq that was laid out in his infamous ENERGY MEETING...which he still refuses to tell who was actually there...and Iraq was divided up amongst themselves!!! Oh hell yes!! But you're calling Obama a traitor??!!! A terrorist??!! God damn...spare me the insult to sound information.

The root of this current economic crisis can be traced back to Reaganomics and the current Rapists of the Working Men and Women's standard of living...Bush & Company!!!

Hell...I have firearms too boys and girls...........what the hell?! As if the feds have the resources to confiscate them? Riiiiiiight!!! Paranoid......generated by those of the Fascist Right wing. And people believe these traitors. FASCINATING!

Weiman 5 years, 5 months ago

Nikobesti, Let me spell it out for you, since you seem to have trouble understanding my letter. My comment about holeing myself up in my home etc. etc. was written in such a way as to be overly dramatic, overstated, or facetious, so that people would not be able to take it seriously, obviously (for someone with such a simple mind, like yourself) I didn't make it dramatic enough. I, like you, was trying to get the point across that people were making too big a deal about the paper's decision to not put Obama's picture on the front page and were going so far as to turn it into a racial issue when there was none. To address some of the other comments make toward me on here: In an act of transparency I shared a couple reasons why I didn't vote for Obama, the same reasons that other voters I know chose not to vote for Obama as well. In no way are those reasons the ONLY reasons I didn't vote for him and likewise, they are not necessarily the reasons I chose to vote for McCain. It's obvious to me that the president position isn't the end all. In all reality the position holds very little power, like you said Nikobesti, there are checks and balances. But you will notice that I never said that Obama is going to shut down coal mines or cut off all our electricity, nor did I ever say that he was going to take away our guns. I said that there is a possibility that my union brothers and sisters and I may lose our jobs SHOULD Obama heavily tax the coal industry. In all reality that is not too far fetched. Taxes can cause job losses and certain decisions CAN be made that would affect my right to own a gun. I, personally, didn't think it was that big of a deal that Obama's picture was on the back of the paper, however, after giving some thought to it, I think that out of respect and honor for the president-elect perhaps it should have been on the front. But I hold my opinion that is was ridiculous to think that the paper did it maliciously or in an attempt to be racist. My letter was not an attempt to berate or disrespect Ellen Johnson and I don't think my letter did either. I have a right to my opinion and my opinion was that I found Ellen Johnson's letter amusing and I disagreed with it.
Just because I didn't vote for Obama does not mean that I don't respect him for the position he holds. I am an American and one of the great things about being an American is the right to vote. I realize that I was out voted and that Obama being elected makes him MY president, I respect that. I hope that he will be the great "change" that he claims he will be. Meanwhile, I will pray for him and his family, support the changes he makes that align with my values and beliefs, and fight hard against those changes that don't I'm pretty much your average American.

Weiman 5 years, 5 months ago

I think it's crazy that people on here want to say all kinds of things about me when they don't know me. Like the comment, "you're lazy", saying that I probably would never write to my congressmen, and saying I need to get out of the small town of Craig. The fact is I worked hard to get the job I have in the coal industry, I HAVE written my congressmen - several times, and believe it or not, I have lived other places including big cities, AND I have traveled over seas. But, I suppose it's easy for people to sit safely behind their computers anonymously and attack people who have enough guts to sign their name to the bottom of their comments, like I have done in the paper.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Weiman, I loved your article. Pleeease do some more. If people like you don't make some noise then the far left will have their way with us. Thank you very much.

50cal 5 years, 5 months ago

CST you think the current crop is socialist? so we should go more to the left? I've heard you say your for everyones freedom I don't think so. you voted for a more liberal left wing socialist just to get the current crop out? who's stupid? you claim that you are smarter than anyone here yet how many jobs have you ever created? you work in a shop with what, eight to ten other guys? yeah your communist ways are going to help with the economy. what were you promised to make you vote? another tax break that you don't deserve? earned income credit? how's your employer like the new tax bracket that will come out? is that going to help him hire new employees? give you a raise? OH that's right your entitled to it. so we can take away from the haves and give to the have nots.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Damn Rights!!!! Trust me bub.....I 've earned every dime I produce. As far as your comment that I'm intelligent....thank you. Cause I am. It's amazing to me that the current administration has destroyed what what was left of the working class....mostly....spending hundreds of billions of dollars for a war that it seems you have no objections to Mr Cal!! I remember that the federal deficit was not out of control til Reagan took office and then it sky rocketed up more than 3 TRILLION DOLLARS and the money trail headed up and away from the working class.

Who in the hell are you to accuse me of being selfish and self centered when what I really give a damn about is the continuation of what standard of living we have left!!! Do you really understand Mr. Cal as to actually where does the vast wealth in the country resides now?! But I guess I'm a communist socialist Marxists son of a bitch because this money in the hands of a very few greedy bastards and getting more imbalanced every year......why in the hell do you support such greed Mr. Cal!!!! Who are you screwing over and walking on the backs of others if you're not a greedy son of a bitch yourself!! As if the ultra wealthy is gonna give you or I a hand out because of compassion......and you call me crazy??!!

Hell yes I'm taking up a anarchists view point. Because when anarchists rule.....the greedy run for their life's. That's a fact MR. CAL!!!!! What a dumb ass comment you suggested about me....but I guess REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPUBLICANS aren't gullible and they alone possess the intellect to be able to tell others what's right or wrong. Yeah...and most claim to be a Christian as well..............that's the biggest God damned lie there is.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

And by he way.MR CAL......there was a time that I had very profitable business and I DID employee 8 people before getting ot of that line of business. I gave them the very best that I got as far as wages and benefits, etc. WHY? Because they were making me money Brilliance!!

What is fascinating to me MR CAL......is with the actual wage we earn has remained static for more than 25 years now.....we actually earn less dollar wise that we did 25 years ago!! And all the while....big business and corporate America CEO's and owners padded their own personal portfolio of stock options and bonus's while who got screwed??!!

Aliitle socialism I see as a good thing.....after all....what's the difference between a fascist government ( Like the one we're living in because of CERTAIN TRAITORS!!!) or a socialists government? Do you know the difference MR. CAL??!!!

What amuses me is when I hear people belly aching about something they know nothing about. Well..they seem to think they do because they get their news from FAKE NEWS AND SHAWN HANNITY AND BILL O'REILLY!!! Oh it's gotta be true!!! Or is it William Krystal and the Daily Standard? ANN COLTER?!!!!!!! Yeah...there's reliable information for ya!!!

Japanese and German CEO's of profitable companies in their respected countries make approximately 10% of what American CEO's make. And uh...these countries take much better care of their people than what this country does. But I guess these two countries CEO'S and political leaders don't understand a GOD DAMNED THING DO THEY MR. CAL??!!! But hell...let the anarchy begin. I welcome it. How about you?! Then you won't see any socialistic programs or free loaders hanging around. We can all be wealthy healthy and wise. Wouldn't you agree Mr. Cal?!

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

And for good measures....can you recall MR. CAL.....who made a statement at a political fund rasier, addressing this group of people....he called them 'THE HAVE' AND THE HAVE MORE'S....BUT YOU'RE MUCH MORE THAN THAT....YOU'RE MY BASE".....EH?

So much for capitalistic greedy Want it All to themselves Rich bastards. that care not for this country but " It's all about me attitudes.

nikobesti 5 years, 5 months ago

Ms. Weiman, I understood your sensationalism. But writing that our president is related to filth that cut off innocent peoples' heads was still worth commenting on. You write that junk and guys like ebear, who believe everything they see/hear, eat it up as fact.

If some of you want to call bringing the tax code back to a reasonable balance from its current state as the most rich-friendly tax code in history "socialism" or "communism," feel free. A lot of good that philosophy as done this country in the last 8 years. I feel SO sorry for the billionaires who won't get any more tax breaks and loopholes.

50cal, you seem to forget that when everyone is poor and unemployed, your business goes under even if you don't have to pay a bit more in taxes. A middle class with money to spend is great for your business. Trickle down has been proven bunk, so now the consumer doesn't have anything to spend. The wealthy elite and our current administration get rich of their con games and America suffers. The wider the gap gets, the more our country starts to resemble Nigeria. I've seen that mess. No thanks. Give me some representation, accountability, fair taxation, oversight and yes, regulation. If that's "communism," that's cool with me.

I could care less if you don't have an ounce of sympathy for the poor. Just do what is apparently natural to you and think about only yourself. Did you know the average baby boomer couple only has around $55,000 to retire on? Isn't that nuts? That's partly because there are millions of very poor people out there with zero. Who's paying for these folks' hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical and other bills? You, me, and everyone else posting on this forum, that's who, via programs like social security and Medicare. The middle class and wealthy pick up the tab, and our tax burden is going to grow much more acute the next 10 years. Don't try to pretend that paying the poor's bills is some new communist concept in America. It's in all the middle class' interest that we shore up this gap and pull up a substantial amount of the lower class to the middle class so they can pay for themselves. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, but I am quite sure that it is not the George Bush/John McCain economic plan.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

I'll say this a nicely as possible. Plaese read a history book on the great depression. People who think our ecomony will do great if we just tax business owners should read more. Taxing the business owner was something Hoover screwed up in and was fallowed by Roosevelt who atacked the utilities. His own adminstration went nuts over the constant demonization of utility companies. They had to do it in order to pull of public justification of their policies. It was a new thing, American's attacking American's. And it pissed of anybody with a brain back then. And it still does now. The past 16 years have seen big big growth. All up till the socialistic standards of putting, and I'm quoting democrates of the time, "We need to get more minorities and poor people into houses." caught up to us. Well now, there's your socialism in action.

I would suggest the book "The Forgotten Man".

You'll here more from it as time geos on.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Most of the economies world wide started to recover by 1932. Ours became a depresion in a depresion. it wasn't until war that the country pulled itself out. The new deal fended off a revolition that had swept most of Eurpoe. It barely worked. Roosevelt did alot of things right, and alot of things wrong. His CCC program was good, the deficit spending was good in those conditions. What stalled alot of progress was fear of what Roosevelt was going to do to business. Roosevelt said he would "promulgate" change. (Force change) Business decided to wait him out. They didn't know who he would come for next. HA! Then Roosevelt retaliated an introduced a tax called the "undistributed profits taxs". They couldn't win.

The NEW YORK TIMES stated in 1937 that the taxation on business and the new laws letting unions srtike, (Wagner Act), was the reason for the down turn in the economy.

Yes, we need to tax our citizens. But in the end, making some of us a target will hurt us bad. The government needs to be small, and people need to earn what they get. Robin Hood tactics will only backfire. We need to have reason in all things.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Nekobesti...DAMN RIGHTS!!! After this desasterous 8 years of GOP leadership(?!)...I welcome some good ol' fashion socialism!!! I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about me!! This country has come real close on becoming a totalitarian style government...and yet there are those that vehemently fight any amount of socialism. How strange it is that there are people that welcome the aspect of being servants to a dictatorship....yes...this current administration had plans to become the next country to fall prey to a central government with ALL the power and controls with no rights to the common citizens.

It goes without saying...the mass of the population of this country really doesn't get it!! Do we really understand the full and clear picture on what the Cheney Administration's long term plans would bring down on this country?! We do in some respects. It's called..."The Project of the New American Century"!! To read and digest what this doctrine truly is saying sends shivers down peoples spine. Yet....it was easy to convince the general populace during and after 9/11. Those that questioned the acts of this current administration were branded as cowards and traitors....UNPATRIOTIC and posing a greater threat. In other words....these PIGS ripped a page right of the the general plans of the Third Reich!!

I know I'll get slammed for my comments...like I give a damn? NOT!! I hate fascism!!! But socialism isn't communism...which the NeoConNazi's tried to push as a one and the same!! But thanks to Dufus and Darth Vader Cheney....a change in direction is coming. And besides....it truly can't be any worse than these last 8 years!! THANKS BONZO REAGAN!! I HOPE YOU'RE ROASTING IN HELL!!! And I'm not kidding!!!

nikobesti 5 years, 5 months ago

Patrick: no one is suggesting returning to extreme great depression tax rates for companies. How was our economy doing before Bush tax cuts in the 90s? Great, right? I acknowledge this isn't all because of the tax code, but it was quite apparent that our economy could function well without billions of dollars in giveaway to corporations. Reverting to pre-Bush tax rates is not returning to great depression tax rates.

First and foremost, Obama will help facilitate the end the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. You all act like this is the second coming of Lenin when it's merely undoing a recent policy. If Obama does get Congress to pass some middle class tax cuts and forces more burden on the wealthy, then we discuss what might be new territory.

vic 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, so much for "change". So far, it looks like we are just going to revert back to the Clinton years. I was more in favor of, and actually looking forward to some change.

Lawspecialist 5 years, 5 months ago

YES! Ladies and gentlemen . . . they call themselves adults! No throwing stones now unless you are perfect!

50cal 5 years, 5 months ago

CST so you proved that you can't run a business by your line of rants huh? your crap is just to stupid to read through. yeah I'm greedy and if your wages haven't increased in twenty five years what does that say about your work habits? looks like maybe you should put out a little more! you really need the government to save your ass while I went out and made my own and now I owe it to you? dream on dickfer. your little welfare check on the 15th of April came off the back of people who really worked for it. your guy won and your still crying because you think bush stole the election in 2000. You been miserable all those years? sounds like that's your problem not everyone else's. Bush has been a huge disappointment to many people dickfer. we just chose to keep on working. you choose to sit in your wet panties and cry. Now when your guy wins and some people don't like it you still can't get out of your wet diaper and think you have to shut them down right? this will cost you CST even if you are a good little party member you will stand in line like the rest of the fools who have accepted the fact that the poor are the base of the democrat party. why would the democrat party want to lose their base? If the republicans want to keep their base and their base are the rich then what make you think the democrats will want to move their base?

oh and by the way don't ever ask me for comparison, I have none. especially for people who are not willing to help themselves.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

The Bush tax cuts should be rolled back only if we can do it and remain competitive on a world stage. Not so the crack heads, wealthfare wanting, lazy people can get a check. No one is entitled to anything in this life other than opportunity. There are the "haves" and the "don't want to's" in this world and there always will be. If you drop out of school in the 10th grade, you may have to struggle your whole life. Our school system here offers duel credits. That's right, you can get your high school diploma and and a college degree on the same day. That's opportunity, not a hand out.

this whole topic has gotten disgusting. I am amazed at how you people have talked to one another AND I think you should be banned for awhile!

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Lonelyone, This may go on for 4 years. I'll try and stay away form overly hateful statements. My crackhead comment may have been too much. I apologize to anyone who got offended. Sometimes I need need to settle down before I jump in here. When I write in to the paper I try to envision having a face to face talk with someone who thinks totaly oppisite of me. That helps alot.

What do ya think CST said?

well Patrick, I read it and that is one reason for my comment, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, other then like 50cal, trying to explain why he thinks the things he does. Both of them are very forceful in their opinion, but Can'tstand, it wasn't me that had you removed...............just so you don't come back and chew me out for it, ok?!?!?

Patrick Germond 5 years, 5 months ago

Funny stuff. When I read 99% of the things on here I laugh my but off. Even CST, I don't agree with him, but I love his passion. It helps me just to talk to him some times. We don't agree but I get a little steam vented.

50 Cal, my wife wants to know if you where a drill sergant. Sounds like you could have been. Good stuff, good stuff. I hope CST doesn't get to angery.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh...so this FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFTYCAL can slam me and not remove his intelligent slander ....intelligent?....but mine is removed. Typical Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeepublican tactic. Brilliance at it's best.

I stand by my remarks that were removed. As if I'm devastated....NOT!

What the hell.....I consider the source.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 5 months ago

And Patrick.....Reagan was a idiot as well!!! And yes....I went out and celebrated the day Reagan died.....I truly did!! Well....I celebrated that night I should confirm.....sure got drunk that night!!

grannyrett 5 years, 5 months ago

I suggested removal--I can take alot of swearing, but don't put G__ in front of it. I'll hit the removal button every time.

50cal 5 years, 4 months ago

wish I could have read it. I don't know about intelligent though since you haven't posted anything intelligent so far I doubt what you wrote this time, and slander? you've been asked for facts a hundred times in between your rants and have never produced one so much for slander.

Oh and on my last post let me correct one thing its compassion that I don't have not comparison. I have no compassion.

No on the drill Sergent Pat but I knew some mighty good ones.

als362 5 years, 4 months ago

gem, you must be the stupidest person ever. Just because you think Barback Osama is going to ban "Just Assault Weapons". What makes you think he won't define a BB gun as an assualt weapon? You have no abillity to think!! If there are no more power plants built, where are you going to get your electricity from when the wind is not blowing, and at night? If all you fruit cakes want this so-called green power, then that is all you should get to use. That would ease the load on the grid enough so there would not be a need for more power. By the way, if this dirty power is so bad, why don't you just have Yampa Valley come out and disconnect you? If you did that then you would no longer be contributing to the dirty power problem. Stand up for what you think at your own expense first. YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!

slipknot 5 years, 4 months ago

Granny: I also requested the removal of that particular remark. I can put up with most stuff but CST's swearing was getting out of control. I apologize to CST requesting the removal of that remark, it wasn't the content; it was the foul and abusive language. Rephrase and reenter it, without the swearing and try it again. You're intelligent enough to do so without violating list rules.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

Hay CST, I was reading today and came across another way to use the "G" word that I don't think is quite as offensive. GAWD . Or like I've heard some people just use gd instead of the whole phrase. It's a bad area though when ever you try cuss in public.

I try anyway, to remember that kids and people from my church read this stuff too. No mater how mad you get, if you lose your temper everyone will say you lost the argument. I also want to thank you, even though you can't understand what the heck is going through my mind at times you've always been decent to me. Thanks, and I will always do the same in return.

Anyway guys, let's have fun out there. I get so worked up over politics sometimes I should be locked up. My hippie sister and I haven't talked since Nov 4th. I'm not mad at her, I just don't think I can do it without saying something that would cause hard feelings. So I'll wait until I calm down.

grannyrett 5 years, 4 months ago

No Patrick, that won't work either. It's the same thing no matter how you spell it.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

I know I know. I always try and look at my blogs and check them, more so if I''m a little worked up. I try and make it a habbit, that no matter how hot I am, I take the cuss words out. Then later on, I'm always glad I did.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

I liked all of that except the part about assault weapons. To the liberals, it means any, any modern design (last 100 years) that shoots semi auto. You would only be able to own crap. Mean while, any drug dealer or person who stole a 10/22 Ruger thats was already out there has you beat. My case in point, look just south of our boarder. What the heck are those peasants going to do about it? What? Nothing that's what. They don't have the means to fight back.

I'm not trying to be mean, your view is shared by 70% of Americans. It's one of those issues thats not being sold honestly. Like Obama.

P.S. I really did like most of that.

kerrya 5 years, 4 months ago

Holy Cow! I cannot believe some people. I am a simple girl and I try not to get involved in politics but this has gotten way off course. I am proud to be an American and a citizen of this country. Though I was not born here, my dad was an American serving his country. I got to choose my country and there was never any doubt. My husband also was not born here and became a naturalized citizen several years ago. Believe me, he takes his voting privilge more seriously than most born-Americans ever do. My husband and I don't vote down party lines - we vote for the best man (or woman) for the job. And let me tell you, if you did your homework you would know that Obama is NOT the best man for this job. I am not saying that McCain is the best man either but of the two choices we had he was the lesser of two evils. No, Obama may not take away our guns but is going to make it damn hard to get a new one. In the "Elk Capital of the World" you know that is a big deal. We are always looking for the newest, coolest, hunting rifle to add to our collection. Yes assault rifles should be banned, but we rely on hunting around here to put food on our tables for our families and in these economic times that is going to be more important than ever. How are we going to do that if Obama makes it next to impossible to buy ammunition for our guns? We can hardly afford to pay a 500% increase on ammunition, nor can we afford the price of meat at the grocery store right now. And as for the coal jobs, yes, it is going to affect us if he gets his way. This town will become a ghost town if the coal mines go under. I do believe that this election was based on race but not in the way that you think. I saw the video of blacks on the streets being asked if they believed that Palin would do a good job as Obama's vice-president (yep, that's what they were asked) and every single one of them said yes. They had no clue - they were voting for him only because of the color of his skin. They did not know anything about his policies or his campaign. I could care less what the color of his skin it's his policies that are wrong, and this country needs to wake up and realize that we may very well have made a huge mistake. We may have made a mistake no matter who we elected. All I know is that I am scared about what is happening to our country. I am scared for my job, my husband's job, my family's well being. There is nothing at all that we can do about our president now except try to live with his decisions for the next four years and try to keep our own heads above water. I hope that 2012 comes real fast!

kerrya 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks. I guess I should clarify though. I do not use guns regularly. I know how to load and shoot one for self protection purposes. My husband and son are the hunters in the family (though you can bet that I can clean and cut and package an elk or dear!). I don't know that much about guns and when I said assault weapons I was thinking of the "cop-killer" guns that gangs and drug dealers are getting a hold of and using on innocent people- I did not mean the types of guns that we average citizens would own. Maybe there shouldn't be a ban but it should be harder for criminals to get those weapons and not harder for upstanding citizens to get one. Gun control is and always will be a hotly debated issue.

vic 5 years, 4 months ago

Gun control only works for law abiding citizens, who don't need to be controlled because they are law abiding. Criminals will continue to get guns illegally, no matter what the law states.

Really 5 years, 4 months ago

Kerrya, I think your assumption that the blacks voted for Obama just because he's black, based on asking if they thought Palin would be just as good a VP as Biden is a bit skewed. I know lots of people, some very good Republicans, who seriously thought Palin would be a wonderful VP.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

Kerrya, I love your open mindedness. I wish more people would talk about this. Right now probably the cheapest assualt weapon is the AK-47. It was the one used in the famous L.A. bank robbery. (No one died in that other than the bad guys.) It sells for around $500 dollars and is a real pain to reload. You need to be done with what your doing by then or else. Nobody really sells them anymore because of a ban on imported assualt weapons. So, what you can get, starting at $1000 is a AR15. It shoots semi auto and can take alot of time and money plus some "down home been raised around them" know how just to get it to the point of usefullness.

That' why you are more likely to be attacked by a wild animal then encounter someone with an assualt weapon wanting to do you harm. The kind of people that buy them, are well together focused people. Bad guy's that steal them are your only threat from these weapons. What they will take from you, like last time, is a pistol that has anything over 10 rounds. Most come with 15 round mags. Now, if a women was left with her husbands pistol, and had basic knowledge on how to cock it. Do you want 10 rounds or 15. How good are you at reloading?

Last time they band them. ( It had a time limit). I couldn't get 30rd mags for my .22 cal rabit gun. I was like, what the heck?

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

P.S. Those AK/47 guns where illegal. They had been changed to fire full auto. A person with highly advanced knowledge is the only one who can pull that off. It also takes thousands of dollars worth of tools to do. Srangely, people with this knowledge are older, and want no part of a felony gun charge. My point is this, it just doesn't happen. People with special permits to own full autos (about 60,000 of em), they don't even brake the law. A mind that is that with it, just doesn't run around like a nut.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

P.S.S. Plus the AK/47 comes out of the factory only hitting in a 3 foot circle. That's why are boys over seas are knockin the crap out of the enemy. It's all just a red harring.

I truely believe the motive behind this is to keep guns out of the publics hands so the left can cram what ever they want down our throats. You seen the gay riots? The last thing Washington wants to see is over a million gun owners in the capital ticked off. That would change everything. That threat is what the far left wants to do a way with.

lostyermarbles 5 years, 4 months ago

Well, and back to the picture. Just cut it off the back and put it on front. Or cut it off back and put it on your fridge!! Problem solved. And what ever or however they got there we have 4 years of it. Be Happy you can't change it.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 4 months ago

And 50cal......If you suggesting that you post intelligent comments...you need to get over yourself!! Intelligent your comments are not!! I really don't care what people think of me...as if I'm suppose to be ashamed of my Joice of words? NOPE!!

I'm not a hypocrite folks....I say it like it is and I happen to know what the hell I'm talking about. The absolute ridiculous statements I read in some of these comments pertaining to anything even remotely related to a liberal concept of a given society and contrary to what people call a conservative view towards your own personal lives to the political scene. So called "THE MORAL MAJORITY" just ain't so....I see most people who call themselves Christians committing more vigorous sins that what I do!! And I don't even remotely claim to be Righteous.....yeah ....that's right...I see those that sit in an assembly on Sunday and out swearing Monday thru Saturday or OTHER THINGS!!!! Don't claim that's just a few bad apples.....cause that ain't so!!!!

So....as long as I can...I'll stand up for a true Democratic Society....because what this country had for the last eight years was a totalitarian government....Thank you Reeeeepublicans!! And those that slam Obama are worried??..??..!!!!!!

Brilliant!

grannyrett 5 years, 4 months ago

CST-You're not in favor of a democratic society. You are only in favor of a society in which everyone agrees with you. That isn't the way a democracy works. If you could just do ONE post where you weren't going off on everyone that disagreed with you, your opinions might carry a little more weight. You will never be taken seriously unless you can carry on a discussion instead of just ranting all the time. Who knows, you might have something important to say.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 4 months ago

Carry on a conversation.....with you?! HAHA!! After all the repeated slams against me by the likes of who? YOU?! You bet I don't have much of anything good to say about people that can't understand what supporting the GOP really means. The Reeepublican base is generally bigots(Fortunately...not all!!)....and hypocritical with their so-called religious beliefs plus most thinking that the war in Iraq was justified (At the beginning anyways!) and bought into that lie completely.

When I hear the Evangelical Right pressing for "One Nation Under God"....and they do...how does that not fit into a totalitarian style government? Please by all means...explain how a so-called political party that endorses such a concept but then preaches country first and personal freedoms when it panders to the Evangelicals with it's warped concepts of a society could ever represent the vast differences of beliefs and ideas of so many people? It can't! So the GOP by it's political beliefs...draws people to it's beckoning by spreading fear by association. Anything so-called socialistic will spell the end of the United States!! Communism!! Marxists!! Totalitarian government...the sky will surely fall!! Pretty ridiculous thinking but it seemed to be working....until this election.

I know many people that would never vote for a Democrat in years past....And uh...they DID vote for Obama this election and were proud they did!!

Get off it!! I'm not stuck in a narrow mindset that stresses "It's Us'n agin Them'n"!! Yeah lady...I'm not uneducated....but I do have common sense. Get off YOUR belly aching as well. It's not impressing me.

And while I'm at it.....I'll ask you this. Do you think Dufus Bush is intelligent? Please...tell all!!!

The Daily News showed it's true colors the day after November 4th.....so be it.

George Robertson 5 years, 4 months ago

Kerry, the best way to make it harder for criminals to get guns is to shoot them with your assault rifle before they steal one.

grannyrett 5 years, 4 months ago

CST-It would be nice if someone could communicate with you. However, your posts are such a hate filled rant, that they blister the eyes of anyone who tries to read them.

Patrick Germond 5 years, 4 months ago

Hay Guys, I watch a MSNBC special about all the machine guns they sell out there with no restrictions. I thought, here we go with the lies. They even showed Al Roker shooting a full auto 9mm. We all know you can't by machine guns. Ask any gun dealer and after they stop laughing they will tell you no.

I did see one thing I thought was worth noting if it was true. (I don't trust it though because the rest was so false that my thirteen year old with one phone call could disprove the whole premise of their story.)

They said 50% of all guns used in crimes are sold by 1% of bad dealers in a straw perchase. This is usually a wife, girlfriend or someone else that can pass the back groud check. The dealer was asked a bunch of questions by the bad guy, then the time came for paper work and the bad guy said, "Oh she'll do the paper work."

I don't know how much of this really goes on. No where I've been. But that would be a place to start long before they start with new laws.

DV8 5 years, 4 months ago

MARXIST (From Dictionary.com) - Parentheses added by me. the system of economic and political thought developed by Karl Marx, along with Friedrich Engels, esp. the doctrine that the state throughout history has been a device for the exploitation of the masses by a dominant class (Tax breaks for wealthy and Oil companies), that class struggle has been the main agency of historical change, and that the capitalist system, containing from the first the seeds of its own decay, will inevitably, after the period of the dictatorship (George Bush, Patriot act, defilement of the constitution, invading countries for personal vendetta to distract the population away from the fact that the person who is a threat to the US - Bin Laden - remains uncaught, etc. I'm still waiting to see if he tries for a third term) of the proletariat, be superseded by a socialist order (economic stimulus checks and bailouts) and a classless society.

I'm not sure Obama is the Marxist.

freeman 5 years, 4 months ago

HEY,NOW THAT BILL CLINTON IS BACK ON BOARD WITH THE FUTURE PRESIDENT WE CAN KEEP ALL OF OUR OPINIONS UNDER THE TABLE JUST LIKE HE DID,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MONICA

freeman 5 years, 4 months ago

sorry,,i just thought as much smack or you could say smackin that is on this article ,,at least one good thing is coming in to play..the clintons,,,when he was in office ,,,,,,this united states had nooooo deficet.. the only thing that hurt bill was his under the table manners,,,,right or wrong,,,lets here it??????