Monty R. Ages: Concerned about case

This is in response to an Oct. 22 article.

It concerns me very much that a public defender for our area feels compelled to side with the criminal element of our community.

Sheryl Uhlmann pleaded for leniency in the case of a drug supplier. Her statement was that he essentially was in a pretty desperate financial state, trying to support his family in Mexico.

If he hadn't been here illegally from Mexico, and was a legal resident in the area, there are many job opportunities at the Craig Work Force Center, as well as other businesses in Craig.

It completely appalls me that Uhlmann thinks a drug dealer should have a slap on the wrist for buying and selling drugs for our children to get a hold of.

We have a very large and ongoing problem with drugs in our community as it is.

Our community doesn't need to be degraded with the criminals and their drugs and guns purchased and sold illegally.

Monty R. Ages

Craig

Comments

JDR4 5 years, 11 months ago

Ohh yeahhh, throw em away, lock the damn thing up tight, and never let em out.

Thats gonna solve everything isnt it. Its proved so effective in our country so far.

The War on Drugs is a Joke. And the police know it too. Really they do, just ask them.

And Monty... You really think your CHILDREN are getting a hold of drugs and using them? Seems to me the children who are old enough to get drugs and do them, should be paid attention by their parents more. Not the system baby-sitting them. And your 10-12 year old kid isnt getting drugs handed to them, unless its by a DARE Cop, and in school. Drug prevention programs like DARE have been proven to cause more people to do the drugs than keep them from doing it.

Lamest excuse in the Drug War is its for our Children. Its not about the children. If it were, then OUR children would get sent to treatment centers, not a prison where they become worse criminals, and the 10 BILLION + Dollars that are spent every year on this WAR we have lost long ago, could go towards fixing up our sorry excuse for a rehabilitation system.

You gave me a great laugh with your letter to the editor. Still, silly 'ol people like you scare me, and what our country full of jails will look like in 30 years from now. Someday we will get it, and maybe then we will start to make something of the issue, instead of throwing away the key.

Take the fact away that every American has the right to be miserable, and waste their life away with drugs, per the US constitution, and you have a just cause. Add the fact its not illegal to be miserable, and its certainly not against the constitution, then the money and time spent on the way we fight the war on drugs, is completely unconstitutional. And a lost cause.

Illegal Immigration is another issue.

freeman 5 years, 11 months ago

go cry somewhere else monty,,,I think you are a little bit behind schedule monty,,get it in a higher gear and catch up

als362 5 years, 11 months ago

Good for you Monty, I agree completely. Fifty years at hard labor would be a very good deterrant for people that commit these types of crimes.

GlacierDragon 5 years, 11 months ago

Nice one, JDR4. You put words in Monty's mouth so you can smack him around for them? He didn't say anything about the children. Just that this is a criminal element the community does not need and being unable to work because you're an illegal is no excuse for selling drugs. And I have to agree with those sentiments.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 11 months ago

I have a great suggestion on some of these drug problems.

Now before any of you go off on me...one needs to stop and ponder solutions for many of this countries and local drug problems.

1) legalize marijuana. Simply take away the money from the illegal drug importers and middleman. Simple. One can argue the vices of this drug...but it's really far less destructive than booze. I didn't say that marijuana wasn't harmful...just less harmful. Legalize it and watch the illegal trade vanish!!

2) small time pushers are the really big percentage of criminal incarcerations taking place across the nation...costing every state and country many thousands or many millions of dollars (County verses state costs....which most state budgets usually pick up this burden!!). Impose the stiffest penalty to the big drug movers...whether they are producing locally or importing into the nation. It's not hard.

3) Stop screwing around with Afghanistan. Iraq was such a huge blunder, which this opinion comments I won't get into, and what this blunder did was take away resources for the control of the Taliban. NOW the heroin traders gets most of it's dope from the Afghan region. Nice going Georgie Bush!!!

Resolve...simple resolve. Meth is a horrible monster. I'd much rather have my children smoking grass than snorting meth. And...I'd bet if you'd legalize grass....the meth trade would begin to fade rapidly. Though I can't say that booze hasn't been a more gross beast that has destroyed more families and relationships than meth ever could...let alone the massive health issues associated with booze.

Well....ponder these resolutions.....you know...it very well could work. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for changes to this countries drug enforcement policies.

freeman 5 years, 11 months ago

honestly that is the public defenders job, ,but if these south of the border drug dealers get caught doing this sh-t, they should not be allowed to have a public defender. If they are here illegally, send them back were they come from. If you come to the USA,,,YOU SHOULD KNOW THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

AltitudeAdjustment 5 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone watched the show called "Locked up Abroad?" It shows what other countries do to first time offenders. In most cases it's smuggling drugs or money. If you get caught in other parts of the world you are in pretty bad shape. In the U.S. you get a warm bed, three square meals a day, game rooms, weight rooms, basketball courts, good healthcare, etc. Sure you probably get all the sex you don't want to go with it, but it's a piece of cake compared to what you get in other countries. I think we have enough laws on our books. It's already illegal to sell drugs, kill people, and steal, so lets get tough on those committing the crime. I believe we rehabilitate those we can but the others need to just be ........... ! Anyways, how much money and time are the honest, hardworking, tax payers suppose to dish out to house these people? I believe a prison needs to be self sufficient. The chain gang no worky, the chain gang doesn't eat or get heat....It's that simple. I heard it takes about $75,000 a year to house even the lowest offender. So we pay out a half a million dollars over a few years to house a drug dealer. There are other alternatives that only cost about 50 cents.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 11 months ago

Attitude Adjustment

Around $50,000 for most inmates. If one would look at what I suggested...I said impose the maxium penalties to the big importers and drug kingpins. That...in my opinion...would include the death penalty. Hard to draw a line I suppose has to just what would constitute a kingpin...but that's a simple matter to define.

And yes...how hard is it to stop illegal immigration? Not very hard. Whose giving the illegal jobs anyways? You see. It's us. One can argue about the laziness of Americans. I see that changing....it's called....a depression that is coming. Laziness will disappear I assure you. But there is an exodus of illegals going back to Mexico and other countries. There's no jobs to speak of for them. But until then...impose stiff penalties to those that hire illegals. The laws are on the books....mostly...but enforcement is the key factor. But then...you get into incarceration which costs money and the cycle repeats. No easy solutions.