Sexual assault suspect still in custody

Alleged victim is mentally disabled


A Moffat County Court judge set a $100,000 bond Friday for a Craig man suspected of sexually assaulting a 23-year-old mentally disabled woman.

The Craig Police Department arrested the 32-year-old man, whose name is being withheld in accordance with newspaper policies on sexual-related offenses, Thursday night. He remained in custody at the Moffat County Jail as of Sunday afternoon.

Officers arrested the suspect on suspicion of sexual assault on an at-risk adult, second-degree assault, obstructing a peace officer and resisting arrest. As of Friday evening, he had not been formally charged in County Court.

According to the arrest affidavit, the alleged victim's family reported her missing.

Family members told authorities the alleged victim has the mental capacity of someone between 12 and 14 years old and usually is home early each day.

After interviewing family members and learning more about the alleged victim, police began searching local businesses, restaurants and gasoline stations for the missing woman.

Information learned from a source at a convenience store indicated the woman was seen with a man police knew from previous contacts. Officers responded to his address in the 1100 block of W. Sixth Street, where the man was found, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit also reported that the man told officers the missing woman was inside, but "he would not allow officers inside of his apartment."

The man later told officers the woman "was fine, but that she was 'making herself pretty,'" according to the affidavit. The man was told the missing woman was a "developmentally disabled female and was reported as a missing person."

Again, the man refused to let officers enter the apartment, according to the affidavit.

An altercation with the man ensued and included the man attempting to physically strike police. He was stunned with a TASER and attempted to resist arrest, officers reported.

Police located the missing woman, who appeared upset, inside the apartment.

The alleged victim told police that the suspect touched her sexually in several ways and that she'd told him to stop, but he didn't and tried again.

A sexual assault examination of the victim revealed that she had recent sexual contact, the affidavit reported.

The suspect, then at the jail, agreed to speak with police. He told officers he met the woman about 11:30 a.m. Thursday outside Centennial Mall, and the two went back to his apartment.

He said there was sexual contact between the two but that he had stopped when she told him to. He also told police he took "nude photographs (of the alleged victim) and that she took some of him, as well," according to the affidavit.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.