Bud Nelson holds his hand over his chest during last year's Memorial Day ceremony at the Craig Cemetery. This year's event is at 11 a.m. Monday at the Craig Cemetery and at 3 p.m. Monday at the Maybell Cemetary.

File photo

Memorial Day meant to honor veterans

If you go

What: Gravesite veteran flag placement

Where: Craig Cemetery

When: 5 p.m. Sunday

Held by Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4265 and American Legion Post 62

What: Memorial Day service

Where: Craig Cemetery

When: 11 a.m. Monday

What: Memorial Day service

Where: Maybell Cemetery

When: 3 p.m. Monday

— The creation of Memorial Day was intended to honor American soldiers who had died in the service of their country.

Even in the hubbub of the three-day weekend, the observance of this tradition remains the top priority, according to those who have served.

Honor guards representing the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4265 and American Legion Post 62 will be laying American flags on the graves of departed soldiers beginning at 5 p.m. Sunday at Craig Cemetery.

Bill Harding of the Colorado Veteran Service Office encourages as many people as possible to attend.

"It's easy to get caught up in the fun of Grand Olde West Days during the Memorial Day weekend, but it's important for people to think about who made that possible," Harding said. "People need to pause and remember those who died for their freedoms."

Harding is a veteran himself, having served in the Vietnam War as a radarman 2nd class for the U.S. Navy. He urges all Craig veterans to take part in Saturday's GOWD parade as part of the veterans float so that they may get the recognition they deserve.

The parade participants will meet at Craig Middle School's north parking lot before beginning the parade route at 2 p.m.

Mel Shockley, Commander of the Craig branch of the American Legion, also is adamant about the flag placement.

"We can never forget those who went before us," he said. "We should always be observant, fly flags at half-staff to pay respects, when it's appropriate, and do everything we can to keep our country the Home of the Brave. The price of freedom isn't free."

The flag placement will be followed at 11 a.m. Monday by official ceremonies at the Craig Cemetery. The names of all deceased Moffat County veterans will be read off including the 14 who have died in the past year, supplemented by a 21-gun salute.

High school student Gavin Thompson, recipient of the Vietnam Moving Wall scholarship, will read the speech that won him the award.

A similar service will be held at 3 p.m. at the Maybell Cemetery for that town's veterans. Once the ceremonies conclude, the flags will be properly removed from the gravesites before sunset in keeping with the conventions of the United States Flag Code.

Comments

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

No I wasn't questioning anything; I just didn't know and having recently found out I thought it appropiate to share the information

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

lonely, might want to switch to decaf. Thanks for sharing this info dented. Maybe now the flag will be shown proper respect in more locations.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

there we go I love it when we all get along

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

This will be the first year I have missed the veterans service at the cemetery. I am proud that my son will be there to hear his father's and grandfathers names read. It is so important to remember those who sacrificed to give us the ability to live in this wonderful country.

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

Someone had mentioned this to me and I didn't know if they were pulling my chain or what so I looked it up and found this:

"The Flag in Mourning To place the flag at half staff, hoist it to the peak for an instant and lower it to a position half way between the top and bottom of the staff. The flag is to be raised again to the peak for a moment before it is lowered. On Memorial Day the flag is displayed at half staff until noon and at full staff from noon to sunset."

dentedfender, that is correct. Is there some reason you question that??

Sorry if I sounded pissy in my comment. Didn't mean to, was just asking if there was some reason he/she questioned how things were done. Like in as why it is done that way. I myself didn't know it until a few years ago. I always thought when a flag was flown at half staff, that it was just run up that far and left there! Anyway, Dented, I am sure you taught many people something by posting your info.........thank you.

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

Flag Ettiquite is a forgotten art around here. One year the Cheerleaders did just that(halfway up), and I was appalled, but thats just me. I knew it should have gone to the top and back down, but an ex-sailor should know these things. I sent some ettequite to the athletic director so they could do better in the future. I was pleased with the turnout for the service, and I would have guessed 200-300 for the service, not 50-100 that the paper reported. Thank You to all servicemen and woman.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

I thought it was down from years past bigred but it was more than 50-100

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

The Flag was back at the top of the mast by Wednesday evening. The Legion is also going to be selling raffle tickets for $500(1st), and $250(2nd) in gas cards. tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. see any Legion member soon. Drawing will be held July 4th

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

Isn't it funny that when I went by the American Legion on Tuesday morning on my way to work that the Flags were still at half mast.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

lots of people could use a little flag edicate. (Udall was in town)

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

I would rather it still be at half mast, than never to have been. The Legion are only people too, maybe the commander hadn't made it there yet. but I will check it out this evening. The Legion has open adult swimming on Mondays and Friday and aging well on Wednesdays. Come join us.

I know the post cammander was not feeling to well as we were putting out flags Sunday evening. Maybe he's still not feeling well???

WOW!! With the price of gas going up like it is, that shoudl be a great money maker for them! I hope they do well. Do you need to be present to win?? ;o)

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

NO, You fill out the half ticket that we keep and we will call you when you win. We are only selling about 750 tickets, so that keeps the odds good