'What did we do? What did we not do?'

Social Services Director: Department responsible for Roloff

— Marie Peer, Moffat County Social Services director, said the responsibility for oversight on a department employee arrested for alleged drug distribution falls on her office.

Carla Roloff, 57, of Dinosaur, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of unlawful distribution of a Schedule 2 controlled substance, specifically methamphetamine, a Class 3 felony. An All Crimes Enforcement Team news release reported at least one deal was made inside the Social Services office in Dinosaur while Roloff was working.

ACET made the arrest after an investigation that included an undercover buyer.

"Definitely, the department would have responsibility for that," Peer said. "We hire the people and supervise the people.

"I've gone around and around about that. What did we do? What did we not do?"

Peer said Social Services officials made visits to the Dinosaur office on a semi-regular basis and also had Roloff come to the Craig office on occasions.

Roloff was the only employee working at the Dinosaur location. She worked as a clerk, handling program applications from residents and sending them to the Craig office.

Moffat County Commissioner Tom Gray said he was unsure what the county could do to prevent a similar situation in the future.

"My feeling is that drugs and meth seems to know no bounds," he said. "It doesn't strike any social class, ethnic class or economic class. No one is immune.

"I don't know what can be done to ensure it doesn't happen again. We can be more vigilant about training and drug-testing."

Serving Dinosaur

Gray said he plans to address the long-term issue of how to provide services to Dinosaur soon.

He plans to hold a Commission and town hall meeting there in the near future to ask residents if they would prefer the county hire another Dinosaur resident to work part-time or if they would like a full-time staff member from the Craig office to come once a week.

Coordinating with Rio Blanco County Social Services out of Rangely to provide services and case work also is a possibility, Gray said.

Dinosaur Mayor Freda Powell said methamphetamine is an ongoing issue in her town.

"It is a problem in Dinosaur," she said. "There are several of our citizens that have had problems with it."

She said she was "heart-sick" to learn of Roloff's arrest. She added she didn't have any solutions for fighting addiction.

"I don't know," she said. "I wish there was a miracle."

Peer said her department wants to keep the Dinosaur location open, and sent one department technician there Thursday.

She plans to have one department employee staff the Dinosaur location one day a week until a permanent solution can be found.

Social Services plans to rotate staff members making trips to Dinosaur so that residents can take advantage of their different specializations, such as child care or the Colorado Works program.

Is it safe?

There are no plans to conduct any environmental testing at the office for methamphetamine contamination, officials said.

Methamphetamine smoke has been proven to leave toxic chemicals on walls, floors and objects (such as desks or computers) where the drug is smoked or cooked, according to the federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

K.C. Hume, Moffat County Sheriff's Office investigator, said his agency conducted a search of the Social Services Dinosaur office after Roloff's arrest at the department's request.

There were no illegal drugs or paraphernalia found, he said, and no evidence that the grounds had ever been used to manufacture methamphetamine.

ACET Task force Commander Garrett Wiggins said his office's investigation found nothing that would lead him to recommend an environmental test of Roloff's office.

"We don't have any reason to believe meth had ever been used in the office and she certainly wasn't cooking it there," he said.

CaoimhÃn Connell, senior industrial hygienist with Park County-based Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, visited Craig in December to conduct a methamphetamine contamination study on an apartment.

Connell helped the state draft statutes concerning methamphetamine contamination.

Title 25 and Title 16 under Colorado Revised Statutes require that any building proven to have had methamphetamine inside is considered contaminated by law. State statutes also require that building to be cleaned by a licensed industrial hygienist.

Connell added he did not know if government buildings are exempt from certain statutes.

Most law enforcement is unaware of those requirements because it is part of the civil code, not the criminal code, said Connell, who also works as a Park County Sheriff's Office deputy.

He added that given the statements from local law enforcement, he does not think the Social Services Dinosaur office poses a health threat.

"I would say there is a very low probability that there is significant contamination," he said. "Any residual contamination that may be present would probably not be toxicologically significant."

Peer added her office has contacted the Sheriff's Office and asked officials to be aware that her department's staff would be in Dinosaur.

Sheriff Tim Jantz said he has two deputies that cover the Dinosaur area and would be available to respond to any issues. One deputy position exclusively covers a 20-mile radius around the town, and both deputies live in Dinosaur.

Collin Smith can be reached at 875-1794 or cesmith@craigdailypress.com

Comments

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

thank you irishbrat couldn't have said it better

mtnspring 6 years, 5 months ago

Meth is dried up devils sperm. Comes straight from the devil!!! It's here to destroy. Everyone say a prayer for the children who have parents who choose the drug over the safety and well being of their children. Everyone knows the destruction is causes but they still choose to use it. My childrens father has chose to use since they were very young. Needless to say I've been on my own to raise my children., and I see the damage his absence has caused them. Now he wants us to feel sorry for him 16 years later, I think not, it was his choice. Addiction is a problem but a person chooses to use the drug in the first place. We all knoiw the slogan "not even once". People know the dangers of the drug and still continue to use. If you really love your children and want the best for them you won't even try it once. So grab your child and hold on tight instead of grabbing what you know will destroy you and your families.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

well there are so many things I could be smart about here but I won't just yet because I find it unbeleaveable that the county just doesn't know what to do to prevent this from happening. That means fun times over, now I'm pissed these J@(&@$$es can't even figure this out? wheres the events I'm going to the meeting toot sweet. Taxslave I will be there with you buddy!

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

cunfusious say an owl on my shoulder = someone eating crow for dinner!

Theowl 6 years, 5 months ago

When a person learnes and understands about emotions, moods, feelings, thinking paterns, and basic personal managment skills, that person is far more likely to be a positive element and say things that are far more helpful and realistic.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

owl--Life is all about choices. Most try to make good ones. In this day and age, there is not a person around that does not know the dangers of meth. There is no excuse for trying it. They know that it is highly addictive. They know that they can be hooked after just using it once. Bad choices. What on this earth possessed this woman to sell meth is beyond me. How many lives has she destroyed? How many people did she sell to? How many children are effected by what she has done? I don't care if she used it or not. What she has done is unforgivable. What she has done---there is no way to undo. Bad choices-pay the penalty for your deeds. I don't feel sorry for any of them. They made the decision to do what they did. I reserve my sympathies for those who face hardships doing the best they can to get through this life.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

WTF! owl are you the little halo on my shoulder or something? I broke my wings along time ago and ain't worth saving now. I'll tell you what I am I'm pissed! Tom Greys Best Response is they don't know how they can prevent this? I know Tom and I Used to work with him and I voted for him if this is the best he can come up with then that won't happen again.

cforevereyez 6 years, 5 months ago

A compassionate comment from one so wise, owl.

The teachings of Confucius (correct spelling) deal with humanism. Have you read them 50cal? Perhaps you should, if you are going to quote them. Spending time in study and thought was something Confucius felt was important to everyone. That is what makes us human, compassionate, studied and thoughtful. Confucius was a very wise man.

irishbrat 6 years, 5 months ago

cforevereyez---50cal is a very wise man (or woman) as well and this had nothing to do with confusion...i mean confucius.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

cforevereyez, 50 says your an arrogant little __ (insert your own words) I read american don't need to read anything else. Still can't get a joke huh? you humorless little baby. I am not compassionate nor do I ever intend to be I don't need to listen to some old guy who sat on top of a mountain never getting any nukie. Thats wise?