George Bosick: DOW breaks own laws

— To the editor:

I woke up this morning craving fish, so I went to the store to buy some. To my surprise, the label on the package said it was a product of China. What a shock.

Now this got me thinking, what am I doing buying fish anyway? I live in Moffat County, where there is more fish and game than you can shake a stick at.

Then, I remembered the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Colorado Division of Wildlife have been taking the edible fish out of the Yampa so that the squawfish, chub and razorback can be re-established.

This year, they will euthanize (fancy word for kill) them.

Isn't that against the law, waste and destruction of wildlife, fishing with a net, over limit and many more?

Now, this is not the first in a long list of infractions by the DOW. What about the time they found Chronic Wasting Disease in this county? The DOW freaked out and flew planes shooting hundreds of deer. More blatant law violations.

So here is an agency that breaks its own laws. What does that teach our children? What example does it show the public?

What about all the deer and elk that starved this winter. I didn't hear of the DOW doing much to save them here in Moffat County. I wonder why? Maybe because they know the ranches here can handle the feeding for free and the DOW doesn't have to lift a finger.

Well, now that we see the integrity of our wildlife agencies, I say we fix these little problems of lawlessness ourselves.

I propose that first we send all the employees that shock the fish over to Rodney Culverwell's place, because he knows what to do when there is a problem. Then let's take all the animals that starved this winter and send them to the Humane Society with their superior self-righteousness so they can resurrect them from the dead.

But, the DOW won't like that because they have been trying to get the population down for years. The DOW can then write them tickets for illegal possession of wildlife, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, because nobody deserves that much self-righteousness.

Now, the DOW will not allow the animals to be released because they had CWD to begin with, so they will shoot them, and they will have to die all over again.

Well, that takes care of some, but not all of the problems. For now, I'm happy I can go fishing on the river again, have a good meal without giving China my hard-earned money for something I have right in my own backyard.

Oh, by the way Rodney, thank you for being one of the most genuine people in Moffat County.

I would ride the river with you any day. Good luck.

George Bosick

Comments

cantstandtexans 5 years, 10 months ago

I shouldn't do this!! But what the hell. Foreign species introduced into the environment has disrupted the natural order of native specis across the board. I'm not going into a lengthy rendition...but a classic example of this is cheat grass. You know...all the grass that pops up so rapidly and dies off just as quickly when the moisture in the soil drys out? That and other non-native species of plants and animals have cause serious problems from over burning wildfires to forest degradation, insect infestations that decimate food crops or having to use massive amounts of insecticides that disrupt the natural species. It's a vicious circle that we has arrogant humans have brought on to ourselves. I haven't a clear answer for Mr. Bosick. Seeing how many deer and elk and antelpoe are poached every year in Coloraado alone....I'd say we would be foolish to restrict the DOW in their on going efforts to "IMPROVE" the natual environment. Yes...I was sick to my stomach seeing the death of wildlife last winter. I believe the DOW probably should have stepped in and implemented a feeding program such as in the Gunnison basin and around the Eagle area and north of that. There again...if we as humans didn't hunt these animals...there wouldn't be any value to these critters and there wouldn't be an issue here. If there weren't too many people out there hunting these animals which by the way, are a limited resource...there wouldn't be an issue here. See a pattern here? The viscious circle continues. What some people see as trash fish are a natural element of the environment. These critters didn't develope just to say...HELLO..W'RE HERE! These developed because they filled a spot in the environmental saga. Just as ferrets did...and deer...antelope are left over from the prehistoric era of mammals. Antelope are odd balls actually, but they survived as a species only because we as humans and fish and game departments intervened and stopped the near extinction of the North American antelope and now..we have well over 1 million antelope here in the U.S. and generally..expanding their historic range and numbers. One would have to look at Flaming Gorge dam and the body of water formed behind this dam. Good for the environment? Not really. But as with all dams...does the good outweigh the bad. Only in each other's views. Not throwing stones. Just offering a view from a differnt angle.

cag81625 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow. That's quite the epiphany. Drawing a line from a Chinese fish to a bunch of dead elk out by Lay. I like to write when I'm drunk, too.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 10 months ago

It's obvious cag81625, that you did not read into what Mr. Bosick was stating in his letter to the editor. Mr. Bosick is slamming the DOW. I have issues with the DOW as well, but to suggest that they are breaking the very laws the DOW enacted and developed, is unfounded and is a uniformed opinion of Mr. Bosick. For you to suggest that another person with an alternate point of view are intoxicated and basically stupid, then I question your intentions and gives me the impression that you do not have even the basic understanding of the consequences of non-native species of plants, animals...even arthropods (That's insects to you!), and the ramifications and impact these have on the delicate balance in a natural balanced ecosystem!! Mr. Bosick criticizes the DOW for shooting mule deer because of CWD. There is strong evidence that CDW does and probably has caused the death of a number of people, lt alone the effects on the deer. Where did this CWD come from and how did it get into the system? I suggest it may very well may have come from livestock as do others. Brucilosis in elk and bison has a direct link to bovine. I say take ALL livestock off public land for more reasons than burcilosis. The overgrazing by bovine has resulted in sage brush to spread unnaturally in the western states...including Colorado. Mr. Bosick wants the so-called game fish in the Yampa River left alone. Is that the right thing to do? Where do we has humans finally stop playing God and let things stand as they are or should be...naturally??!!! We're all arrogant to th point that "WE" think we can manipulate the environment to our liking. Air conditioned homes is mighty nice, and I like mine as well. But all of us knows that there are consequences that effect all of us everyday we breath the air or drink water. Pollution from burning coal and natural gas to power the electrical grid we draw power off to run air conditioning is now starting to show its menacing head. And it's just not gonna be a nice situation to deal with over the long haul......you know....GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE??!!! Am I drunk?? That's a tactic used by Fake News and the propaganda ministers such as Shawn Hannity, Ann Colter, Brit Hume, Bill O'Rielly and the rest of Rupert Murdoch's political puppets. I'm not impressed!!! And unless you believe "you" can do an expert job doing what the DOW does everyday....I'm sayng....leave the DOW alone!! They not out to destroy all fish and wildlife as some uninformed people have suggested!!

cag81625 5 years, 10 months ago

Relax. I do not begrudge anyone's right to spout off, but to me it sounded like the ramblings of a nut and I said so- one of the joys of the anonymous internet. Perhaps I am not as eloquent and verbose as some but, hey, that's too bad. I happen to agree with much of your position and I am certainly glad I gave you something to do on a Sunday afternoon.

workinprogress 5 years, 10 months ago

cag81625 Lubbock called and said that they miss you and want you to return where you are wanted.

50cal 5 years, 10 months ago

let's see if I can get some venom as well. The DOW shocking the river for the benifit of nonnative species? Are the brown and rainbow trout native? why don't they remove them so the native species won't have competition from them? CWD? people shot sick animals for years around here. Just a sick animal or CWD? no one bothered to ask for years about what was going on, you just let nature take care of itself. CWD has probably been around for a long time . I can't believe it spread like wildfire once found. Now it covers a good portion of the state. This was not a terrible year by all standards. The winter kill is another way of bringing population into check with the natural enviroment that will feed a population of deer and elk. DOW estimated for years that the elk population of the black mountain herd was 15,000 then one year they come out with surprizing numbers of 45,000. It's not all baseless what Mr. Bosick has to say. I have been 10 miles away from the river working around arigation ditches and seen Pike, smallmouth bass, bluegill and crappie, these minnow size fish will get large enough to return to the river. Then they will be shocked and killed. Instead of the DOW shocking the river which will never end maybe they should work on restoring the natural habitat of the native species. Why are trout returned when shocked? Ever seen the amount of money spent on a weekend fly fishing trip in steamboat by some of the better class of fishermen up there? That expains itself. Shoot deer from a plane? Obviosly CWD does not wipe out entire populations or places back east would not have any deer left. some must be immune or can at least do not suffer ill effects from it. DOW is paid to manage the wildlife of this state they are paid from the licenses of hunters and fishermen NOT taxpayers. IF you have concerns then go to the meetings. if you can't go email them or call them. cag81625 keep talking

nikobesti 5 years, 10 months ago

George: You're not related to Patrick Germond, are you? Long lost brother or something like that? You two should tag team a letter next Saturday.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 10 months ago

You still need the DOW...they are not out to eradicate every living non-native species of fish, small game or large game. By the way there 50cal....I probably spend just as must as you do very year for a deer, antelope and elk tags. I buy all three even if I don't hunt any of these species. I haven't really hunted elk for 2 seasons.....but I buy a tag every year just the same. Do you ask for a refund if you did not draw a buck antelope tag? Or a bull tag? Or buck deer? I just buy a doe or cow tag....it helps fund the DOW.....And I sure as hell would not like to see the results of not having DOW wardens out there trying to keep poaching to a minimum. So...I have as much right to critic someones comment or opinion as you do. I simply believe and know that non-native species has caused wide spread alterations of native species. That is a scientific fact. Use the information highway...there's plenty out there to study on this subject.

50cal 5 years, 10 months ago

I have never gotten a refund don't ask for it they don't get enough funding as it is. Where the hell did i even mention you cantstandtexans? if you took something I said towards you then reread it. I think that mr Bosick had some valid points if he would learn how to communicate them instead of coming off as a nut. He does end up sounding like pat germond and thats the last thing we need for responsable fixes to problems that face us all. I didn't even disagree with you about non native species I just don't like 1) that they select what species they keep and 2) the waste of funding that they are spending on a goal they can never accomplish. So cantstandtexans I offered some view points to yours. Quit being pissed at the world and relize who's on your side.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 10 months ago

Not pissed....concerned beyond belief actually how things are so screwed up. But....I'll admit that rereading....I guess I come on alittle too strong at times. Sorry about that. It just doesn't seem to be any common sense executed towards all the problems facing Colorado and the U.S.

50cal 5 years, 10 months ago

cantstandtexans, that is because you have one set of people in denver making up the rules and the poor guys out here trying to enforce them. its a shame when special intrest groups get their claws into the wildlife commision and start bending the laws in their favor. All special intrest groups. I don;t know any ethical hunter or fishermen that would cause any undo pain or suffering on an animal if they could help it, But the last six cases of massive poaching I can remember were done either by locals or locals and a guy from out of state. If oilfield workers are getting away with this I would sure like to know because they will ruin it for all of us so please fill us in.

workinprogress 5 years, 10 months ago

Mr Bosick should not be judged for the words that showed in print. What you have read is the part that the Daily Press felt comfortable giving you. The original letter was much longer before the editorial staff got done with it.

Joanna Hatten 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't think that even the Craig Daily Press could assist someone in making themself sound that ignorant and uneducated. Mr. Bosick did a fine job of that himself.

50cal 5 years, 10 months ago

Mr Bosick, shouldn't be judged for all of what he wrote if part of what he has written was edited. what he should do is calm down, think about the points he would like to make and then write a letter. Some points are valid, but noone will listen if you don't communicate them in a logical manner.

Joanna Hatten 5 years, 10 months ago

Are you serious!?!?!?! The part that WAS printed was bad enough!!!! I can only imagine how "intelligent" the rest of the letter was!!!! Mr. Bosick.....take your meds!!!

50cal 5 years, 10 months ago

calming down might be in part taking his meds.

workinprogress 5 years, 10 months ago

getagrip "I don't think that even the Craig Daily Press could assist someone in making themself sound that ignorant and uneducated." This could be twisted to; " I think that the Craig Daily Press could assist someone in making themself sound that educated" I didn't change what you wrote, I just EDITED it !!