Ashly Delay: Radio statement uncalled for

— To the editor:

This morning, June 9, 2008, while listening to 93.7 FM, disc jockey Mike Fuller made an inappropriate comment.

What he stated is summarized as if Brokeback Mountain was not gay enough, they are making the movie into an opera.

I felt this statement was very uncalled for and ignorant. While Mike may have his own opinions of the three-time Oscar-winning film, I really don't want to hear about it while getting ready in the morning.

I understand that a radio DJ's job is to provide the public about things happening now, but I feel the way Mike Fuller announced this was extremely offensive and unprofessional.

First, he degraded a movie that, indeed, was extremely controversial, but also critically acclaimed.

I don't really understand why Mike felt it was his place to voice a homophobic view on air. Second, his stereotype of operas was very close-minded. He also failed to realize that a portion of our community is gays and lesbians, and he may have offended these Craig citizens.

The KRAI team of radio stations is the first impression many people get of Northwestern Colorado.

They provide insight to our visitors, family and friends on the way we live life here in Craig, Colorado. I think that Mike and all of the other DJs should keep this in mind. Remember what role you have in our community and act accordingly.

And please do not further insult and belittle Craig residents (or anyone else listening to you) with your immaturity.

Ashly Delay

Comments

whitten05 6 years, 5 months ago

Good job Mike. There is such a thing as freedom of speech, and it applies to all not just the weirdo's in town.

Taylor 6 years, 5 months ago

Why is it that the "special interest" groups think the "freedoms" apply only to them? Why do they think they are the only ones offended by off colored comments? I was offended by the picnic article (to name only one) but yet it was there in my paper.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

who forced her to listen to the radio? there are little things called dials that will help solve the problem if you don't like the format programming.

MClemens 6 years, 5 months ago

While I agree with freedom of speech, it's not unreasonable to object to offensive remarks made by folks employed in public venues. If Mike Fuller's remark had been racist rather than homophobic, the station would have been inundated with requests that he either apologize or be fired--or both. It's as simple as that: racist comments aren't tolerated, but homophobic comments, like some of the Brokeback jokes bandied about during the film's screen run, are not only permitted, they're encouraged. The human race has a long way to go in terms of manners.

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

I think there is a very fine line as far as who is going to get offended. It reminds me of the statement "you can't make everyone happy". I think the media has to be much more careful these days, look what happened with Don Imus. Although he is back on, I am sure he lost a lot of his listeners especially the colored folk. I agree with Taylor whole heartedly, I feel the Caucasian race is becoming the minority. Yet we don't get treated special nor do we throw fits about everything that happens and call Reverend Jesse Jackson and cry to him about it. I am sure I would have a much, much better chance at getting a job if I wrote down on my application that I am African-American. THAT is just how I feel and we are all entitled to our opinions. As far as Mike Fuller--I really like Mike and I don't see that he did anything wrong and don't feel he owes anybody an apology. He makes jokes about white people just the same... As for the other girl on the radio-Jamie.....she drives me nuts, I wish for once she would get through a news cast without forgetting how to read. I miss Deanna Ramon and I think what I liked the best about her was when she would crack up laughing in the middle of a newscast...it always made me giggle.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

freedom of speech is not selective. the radio dial is.

citizensforgrowth 6 years, 5 months ago

People with morals should be offended at being branded homophobic. The folks of Soddom and Gamorah were some of the most accepting ,tolerant and "mannered" if you will toward behavior outside of the accepted norm. If you know your history you would know this is not a step foreward but a huge step back.

mfbbf 6 years, 5 months ago

In the June 20th, 2008 edition of Entertainment Weekly -

"Gayest movie ever + gayest art form ever = Brokeback: the opera"

Hmmmmm. Think someone's a little bored and needed something to gripe about?