Senior Swimnastics: Indoor recreation facility needed in Craig

To the Editor:

As members of the Senior Swimnastics exercise group, we would like to have a bit of input on how we feel about the new recreation center. Our indoor swimming pool situation in Craig is very limited. Things heard in the community seem to portray that the Moffat County High School pool is in a predicament due to needed repairs and year to year it is unsure whether there will be a pool there.

Our current facility at the old Shadow Mountain building, graciously kept running by the American Legion Post No. 62, is always in need of repair due to age. This indoor pool also is going to be closed in the near future.

For many of us, this is the only form of exercise that we can do. We are limited due to age, physical conditions and surgeries, and that makes it almost impossible for us to exercise any other way. We are not the only ones who think swimming is important. We have two high school state championship-level swimmers here in Craig. We have a wonderful competitive swimming program called the Sea Sharks. We have lap swimmers who are totally dedicated to their form of exercise.

We need an indoor facility in Craig.

We thank our county commissioners, who have been listening to a group of educators, business people, health professionals, parents and senior citizens who asked them to readdress the indoor recreation facility.

We hope we can find a way as a community to work together for this worthwhile facility. At present, the land that it would be built on has been donated (that is free) for that use. If we don't use the land for the recreation center, we lose it.

Don't lose this opportunity for such a great improvement to our community.

Lenny Crouse

Donna M. Hall

Corky Coverston

Susan Smith

Karen Cattoor

Nora Jones

Bobbie Harper

Jamie Jacobs

Alice Snowden

Kym Hazelbaker

Dorothyann Hazelbaker

Nana Beth Mead

Jill J. Grimes

Stefka White

Comments

taxslave 6 years, 6 months ago

As a member of this community for 30 years let me be the first to tell you that "I'm tapped out". I don't know what I'll do if the tax increases continue.

Please remember those on fixed incomes each and every time you propose a tax increase. Personally, with gas well over 4 bucks a gallon, I think's it's inappropriate to even consider this at this time. Free land? Cook Chevrolet is giving away free gas too but I just can't afford the truck.

The school and hospital aren't even paid for yet. Are you people out of your minds? Or may I ask, did the rich and famous move to craig while I wasn't looking?

AltitudeAdjustment 6 years, 6 months ago

I hat taxes as much as the next guy, but. . . . .Meeker has a better funded hospital, fire department, and Rec Center now than Moffat County. Meeker! Not Steamboat, not Junction, Meeker - population jack-crap, po-dunkville has better funded county hospital, firedepartment, and rec center. I wonder how they can afford it since they don't have but half the industry and population base that Moffat County does.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

altitude, they fund it because they have worked with the gas industry when it came to town and have reaped the rewards. they still argue with the gas industry if they are doing something the county doesn't like. Taxslave I'm with you no new taxes.

AltitudeAdjustment 6 years, 6 months ago

Where are our officials at with negotiating better returns on our oil and gas? Yes Rio Blanco has more of that, but they don't have two coal mines and a power plant. Does anyone have any informaiton on how much the average Meekerite pays in property tax as compared to the Craigonian? I would be interested in seeing that informaiton. Like I said I hate taxes too and I know that a new Rec Center isn't the answer to our problems, but we've historically voted NO on so many things that when you finally have to vote yes you get slammed by everyone wanting something new funded. I also don't think that a $20K feesibility study is worth the money, but WOW Meeker has a nice pool and water slide.

rockstar 6 years, 6 months ago

Taxslave and Altitude Adjustment:

I am a supporter of our fire, hospital and school taxes, but I agree with you that we have to see the fruits of our tax dollars before we agree to increased taxes for anything else.

Taxes in general are interesting to me in this area. I guess most people who really pay attention to property taxes move here becuase they are so low, but we are an anomaly. Very few places in the United States have the low taxes that we have. The burden just feels so great here right now because, even though they are so much lower than other places, they have increased exponentially in recent years. No matter how you look at it, when it costs twice as much for anything (taxes, gas, etc.) almost overnight, we all feel it and it's hard to be happy about it.

If we could all see the benefit of our tax dollars at work, we'd all probably feel better about what we've committed to.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

Rio Blanco has a soda ash plant thats a mine and another community (rangley). Altitude I couldn't show you the amount of pipelines and gas plants and new wells that are on the pieance creek roads in a month. They built the largest gas plant in the united states over the last several years. no one notices because they are not on the main roads. as for our officials. well you know.

ejmm0659 6 years, 6 months ago

Everybody seems to be forgetting that it's not the County that is proposing the new community recreation center, it's the City. And, hopefully, it would be financed with sales tax. So, not only would citizens be paying for it, but any visitors to our community would (unknowingly) be helping. There are many sources for funding, and I'm sure in these tough times, it will take all of them. I still think it's a goal worth pursuing. If you've ever lived in a community with this type of facility, you know how worth it it is.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

let the people who use it pay for it not those who don't, or have no desire to. county might not be funding it but the people who live in the county who shop in craig will be taxed with out being able to vote on it. should we shop elsewhere since we won't be funding it?

rockstar 6 years, 6 months ago

Isis:

While many grant dollars are tax driven, there are millions upon millions of Colorado dollars available that are not tax-supported. Independent foundations and different political interest groups support millions of dollars in grants that are built through long-term foundations, etc.

I was just curious where this particular money came from.

cacmt 6 years, 6 months ago

I think that the people who are pushing for the rec center should consider what that would do to already existing facilities. Trapper Fitness Center and Holistic Health. Why not take advantage of places like these? Sure you may have to drive to the high school or shadow mnt to take a swim after your workout, the city pool in the summer, but why not? As for waterslides? pack up and get the heck outta dodge and visit Meeker or Steamboat once in a while? I mean really, would you use a waterslide daily? There are other, cheaper options such as expanding the facilities we already have. Sure it will take tax dollars...but not multi-millions of them. In the future, sure Craig may be able to comfortably afford such a facility, for now though, my opinion is to make do with what we have.

taxslave 6 years, 6 months ago

Do any of you realize how out of line the council was to send 20K to Denver? They are keepers of the "people's money"....it's not their money.

The people vote NO but the council told the people they don't know what they're talking about by trumping their vote and spending the 20K anyways.

Six out of seven really should be recalled for this act.

rockstar 6 years, 6 months ago

All:

I am confused about the 20K. Wasn't the 20K a grant that was specifically allocated to do a study about the potential for a recreation center? It's not taxpayer money (well, local taxpayer money), but some other funding source?

I totally understand the point that a study is worthless if the people have voted, but I am curious about whether allegations that we're using local dollars is true.

grannyrett 6 years, 6 months ago

A hospital, fire district, and schools are necessary parts of our community. A rec center is not. It's like a family putting a roof over their heads, food on the table and shoes on it's feet. Little Johnny wants a corvette for his 16th birthday. Isn't going to happen. The people voted on this a few years ago. That wasn't the first time they have said "no". We need the necessities. The other stuff is frosting on the cake, and sometimes, we're lucky enough to get even the cake. There is nothing left over for the frosting.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

Kids didn't work so now we will guilt you into it with the old folks. Hate to see my money go elsewhere if they have a sales tax for this area but I guess my money don't count.

Rockstar, it could have been a grant, but I kind of doubt it. I could be wrong tho. Taxslave, what do you say about that. Grant or Not?

Isis 6 years, 6 months ago

Grant?

If so, is there a "grant tree" outback?

What makes the "grant tree" grow?

tax dollars

cacmt 6 years, 6 months ago

I in no way meant to belittle the need for a place for people to get exercise, whether it be swimming or whatever...but if the existing facilities are not currently being supported enough by the community to make repairs needed or to even keep them open, how can we be sure that a new one would be any different say ten years from now??

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

cacmt has it right if the existing businesses are not being supported who thinks a new facility would be? I've got a bad feeling that every effort is going to be made to push this through. First the kids need it then the seniors need it. who next? The grant money (if it was a grant) came from our rich uncle? I still say if there is a need for it to be here then let private industry put one in here. leave it to the county or city and in ten to twenty years it will be like the wave pool or other areas in our infrastructure that they have neglected it to the point of disrepair where we will have to have a mil levy for the cost of repairs.

taxslave 6 years, 6 months ago

People need to understand that governments have NO MONEY. Governments are bankrolled by taxes. If that 20K didn't come from the lottery than it came from taxes. I asked around today about where the money came from but no one knew. I'll give someone at city hall a call tomorrow.