Fifth annual LGBT picnic designed to foster community

Past Event

Fifth annual Craig LGBT Pride event

• Saturday, June 7, 2008, noon
  • Loudy-Simpson Park, 500 S. Ranney St., Craig
  • All ages / Free

— Bratwurst and hamburgers sizzle on a grill while friends and family members bask in the early June weather.

These common summer sights likely will take place at a group barbecue this weekend.

Derrick Gorbet hopes this common summer gathering helps develop something else.

A community.

The LGBT Pride Committee will host its fifth annual event starting at noon Saturday at Loudy-Simpson Park's east shelter. The annual event allows members of Craig's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to find support, both among themselves and others.

"More than creating acceptance and community, it's more or less creating a community for ourselves to have," said Gorbet, Pride Committee activities director.

"With that growing community, hopefully people won't feel like they have to hide," he said.

Last year was the first time the group publicized the event. It was also the first year some of the area's LGBT population formalized the committee.

The response to last year's event "was actually a lot better than I thought," Gorbet said.

Event organizers planned for about seven people to attend.

In the end, however, more than 20 people came to the picnic last year.

The turnout was a far cry from similar events in the past, which had drawn about four people, Gorbet said.

The majority of last year's crowd consisted of friends and family members of locals belonging to the LGBT community, he said.

Those numbers contradicted Gorbet's previous belief about the attitudes of some residents to the LGBT population.

It was a belief he was happy to surrender.

"It showed me that more people are willing to accept us than what I originally thought," Gorbet said. "I think with those numbers, I was able to show anyone who was LGBT that they aren't alone."

This year, Gorbet is keeping his expectations high.

"I have invited at least 35 people," he said. "I'm being an optimist this time."

Like last year, entry to the event isn't limited to the local LGBT population.

"It's (open to) anyone who's open-minded enough," he said.

Bridget Manley can be reached at 875-1795 or bmanley@craigdailypress.com

Comments

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

a story on 20 people attending a bar-b-que? my neice had a birthday party at loudy simpson last year no one reported on that. the political correct will probably shut me up on this or someone else will threaten to kick my butt, but what in the hell is the daily press reporting on this for? I might just let rhammel kick me out of the county now.

taxslave 6 years, 6 months ago

Gov. Ritter signed a transgender law last week and no one reported on that fact that I can recall. To each his own I guess.

Ron Paul says, "Do whatever you want, just don't infringe on me while you're doing it"....

Make all the electricity you want, you just can't mess with my air or water.

Believe whatever it is you want to but don't tell me I have to believe it.

Marry whoever you want but don't tell me I have to go to the wedding.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

you mean the one that allows any pervert to put on a dress and go into a womens bathroom on the pretext that he's "special" and has a right to flop his weaner out right next to my wife? I'm with you taxslave equal right does not mean special rights.

Really 6 years, 6 months ago

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to "comment" on this 50cal. Doing a story on this is no different than doing one on Comunidad Integrada or the people playing cowboys and indians. It is just another group in our town getting together to socialize. I hope lots of people turn out to show their support and acceptance!

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

figured i would hear from you rainbow, thats the symbol for the gay and lesbian community now right? next i will be a raceist right? how little you know. I don't think the paper should print in spanish or report on cinco de mayo either. I don't think homosexuallity should be taught in our schools and I don't think twenty people gathering in loudy simpson park should be a story. my neice had at least twice that many at her birthday party. I'm allowed to comment on what I want to rainbow weather you like it or not. Maybe when your guy gets in the white house you can shut me up but not yet.

Taylor 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't think it was good story material either...and I don't think we all need to be forced to believe that lifestyle is okay or somehow normal. And I sure as hell don't think it should be shoved onto our kids in any way. I say fine, but keep it in the closet where it belongs. I don't discuss my sex life with the general public either - inappropriate.

vic 6 years, 6 months ago

If I start a local Swinger's Club, will the Daily Press advertise our get togethers? Same thing, just different strokes, right? :-D

bigrred1576 6 years, 6 months ago

The CDP reports on what it wants, because it knows its the only game in town, unfortunately. All the good, clean, WHOLESOME things that take place in Craig on a daily basis take a backseat to the inappropriate things and the bad news. its really too bad that the Morning News didnt make it. Most weeks ever the religion section has the most off the wall things they can find, or stuff that doesnt have any bearing on Craig America. I personally asked them to print some information about a HYMN sing with a months notice, not 1 word was ever printed.

vic 6 years, 6 months ago

It's a worldwide problem, but I did think Craig, America was exempt. Pretty sad when it moves into a community like ours. I rarely read our paper anymore - it is so full of crap.

grannyrett 6 years, 6 months ago

Don't you understand---If you are in a "special group" you can do stuff (my word for another "s" word) like this. If you were to hold a picnic for straight people, you would be a bigot. It's that way for every minority in this country. I have never been ask on an application what my sexual preference is, and yet, it's okay for them to hold special events to proclaim their preferences. Tell you guys what. I just got an idea. When I get back to town, we will get together, fix a big banner, stretch it between the trees at Loudy Simpson, invite the press and have a "Straight Pride" picnic.

Taylor 6 years, 6 months ago

That's right - just like it is perfectly acceptable to have a Black Pride parade, but not a White Pride parade. You can have your picnic, but doubtful the press would cover it.

Personally, I don't care about people's "preference". It is none of my business and with that being said, I will add that I would like to keep it that way - none of my business. I find it in poor taste to run around in public shouting out "your preference"...no matter what side you fall on. People's sex lives need to remain private. And that is the only thing that makes gay people different - their sex lives...so again I say, just keep it private. Why do they have to advertise a "gay picnic"...can't they just have a regular ol' picnic and invite their gay friends without making a big spectacle? I have known gay people my entire life and they have always had the decency and good taste to keep their private lives private.

And back to your Straight Pride picnic...naturally you will be chastised for talking about YOUR sexual preference in a public forum. You are not "special", so you should not speak of it. What is this world coming to?

OH the things I'd like to say, but it seems when I do, I get into trouble for it. And no, I'm not part of the LGBT group. I bet many of them are really nice people tho, And I would bet that many of those in our community don't go to this bbq as they don't really want others to know who they are..........like you and me kind of others, because they are leary of what it could do to their standing in the community........jobs, churches and so on. And while many might not approve of this deal tomorrow, how would you like to live your life in secret all the time? What if you never had a single person you could talk to about your husband, wife, kids, whatever. I would guess that is how many of them feel..........see I've probably said to much already and will be in trouble for it!! ;o}

psychoslash 6 years, 6 months ago

As the LGBT Pride Committee activities director I would be more than happy to help you set up a Straight pride event since I have experience in the area. All of us should be proud the way we were born and I would happily support my heterosexual friends and family.

Thanks for the idea,

Derrick

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

they can have their party no one is stopping them. matter of fact they have every right to have it same as any one else. matter of fact if they have problems I will help them settle it with the problem makers. ONE thing though someone went to the press to have a story written about it. Why? that person wanted to stir up problems. Wants special rights and wants to show how much they are discriminated against. I won't fall for it. I won 't be shut up anymore because someone has to pull political correctness out and shut down everyone elses thoughts. Rainbow you and I could be friends I've put in other forums that I've been clear around this big world so I've probably seen things that would make you blush. Keep it in the bedroom like the rest of us and you will be treated like the rest of us.

Taylor 6 years, 6 months ago

Exactly - that's the whole point...and problem. Keep it private. EVERYone...gays, heteros, celibates and whoever or whatever else...keep your sex life to yourself...have some class. And I don't think the local paper should be advertising ANY group with a sexual byline, which again, is what this is all about. Just have a darn picnic - why does sexual orientation have to enter the story?

lonely...if this picnic were not advertised as a "gay" picnic, then you would be able to attend and no one would care or think one thing or another. They bring problems on themselves by advertising. Just like someone said something about a swinger's club. Who would even know if it were not advertised. Stop whining about how others "view" your lifestyle - if you keep your private life private then you won't have a problem.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

psychyo, please quit while your ahead. really don't need help with a parade or orintation. or being born this way or that way. if you have a bar-b-que enjoy it spend time with friends and you don't have to bring sexuality into it. did you look for the publicity? Please don't go further with it.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

put it in the comunity events section. not a special story by the craig daily depressed. worse part about this paper is the fact that it is owned by world wide publishing or what ever and is printed in steamboat. Liberal capital of western colorado. Sad really sad.

grannyrett 6 years, 6 months ago

Every day, people should be proud of who they are. Being other than straight, is not something that should be advertised in a paper. You are only calling attention to yourselves. Then, when you get people stirred up, you cry "discrimination". Well, guess what---You brought it on yourself. There will always be those who don't agree with your lifestyle. There are those who do not agree with some of the things I do in my life either. Difference is, I don't go running to the paper to splash my private life all over the front page. If you want to have a picnic with your friends, so what. Who cares? It's when you go to a newspaper and publicize your lifestyle, it riles a lot of people. But you knew that when you did it, didn't you? That was the plan. Now, you can go to your picnic and sit around and moan and groan about how mistreated you are and how discriminated against you are. That's the plan. Pathetic.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

people who live in the greatest country there ever was will always have something to gripe about

50cal, you just hit the nail on the head right there! No matter what's going on or whose doing it, it's gonna piss somone off!

cforevereyez 6 years, 6 months ago

Reread these posts and tell me who are the ones that are griping and complaining 50 cal. It certainly isn't the picnic group. And while you're on the computer, look up the definition of hypocrisy. Perhaps you can post your picture there. Pathetic indeed.

cacmt 6 years, 6 months ago

Freedom of speech....freedom of the press...any of this sound familiar to anyone??? Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with a story published in the paper, or PDA or anything else for that matter, this is all what makes America what it is. Opinions are indeed our right, but telling someone to keep their lifestyle in the closet so that you dont have to see it is not an opinion. It is arrogant, by all means. Each of us walks out our door everyday and encounter, see, or hear things that are repulsive to us. It is called life. Try to focus on what is positive and beautiful to you, rather than wasting so much energy getting riled up by the things that dont live up to your standards. Or..perhaps...watch the movie Into The Wild..take some notes and take a hike! Or better yet...hide in YOUR closet so you dont have to see it.

All of you have made some very good points about this issue. It still boils down to the fact, that no matter what you do or where you do it, someone is going to be upset with it. For the most part I don't have an issue with the LGBT group. I have friends who part take of this way of life. But most of them don't advertise it either. That's why I said earlier, I wonder how many will show up because they don't want the general public to know they are part of this group.

Taylor 6 years, 6 months ago

cac - you are off base and not getting the general complaint. A person's...any person's sex life has no business in the general public and certainly not a small town newspaper. Keep it private, that's all. And that goes for all, whether gay, straight, swingers, street walkers or celibates. Have some class.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

what did i say? put it in the paper as an event? tell you what cforever show me where i'm a hypicrite. I say it isn't a story but that you have a right to do it ? tell you what lets go to saudi arabia and see how long you make it. you know what they do in other countries where they don't approve of your life style? they have public beheadings. wanna go? special story for twenty people? someone went looking for problems.

cacmt 6 years, 6 months ago

I dont believe anyone went looking for problems. People like you made it a problem. The comment about the trip to saudi arabia has no value to respond to, other than perhaps they could make a new fashion statement by you wearing the turbin in your mouth instead of on your head...but then there I go stepping down to a level similar to pond scum to have to have a conversation with you.

valleylocal 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't blog much, but if the time wasted some of you spend writting your opinion could be spent as volunteer work or community service maybe you could make a difference in someone's life!!! But instead you sit on your butt and complain without doing anything to contribute to make it better. Also, I give props to Bridget on writting an article about such a subject, you call us Craig America but are we not still a part of this nation? Why do some of you think that we closed off from the World, maybe you would like to keep it that way, but I ask you, what are you hiding from? Reality? Common Sense? Or skeletons in your closet? If you don't like what you read in the paper, then use your smarts and plentiful time and start your own paper!

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

well we use such big words don't we? ok I will quit being a smart ass for one minute and give you some words of wisedom. We live in the greatest country in the world. Saudi arabia is one example of a country where you do not enjoy the freedoms given to everyone here. I never mentioned at the start of this that was about the LGBT cummunity. It was about the story. If you want to have a Bar-b-que thats fine print it in the cummunity events section. very few have said anything about who was doning it until it was brought into the conversation. Look at my first comment. this country was founded on the understanding that all people were created equal. that being said there has been many times that it has not been true so some groups have been given special status. I do not beleive that it should be that way. We are all equal if I have an opinion I have the right to speak it as do you, I also beleive that if someone infringes on that right I will stand beside you to fight for your rights. (I also wrote that) do not confuse the issues. I don't think that because someone has a differing opinion than you it makes them a homophobe or someone who harbors secret homosexual feelings. Ignorance maybe or the fact that they feel that special groups are trying to stuff ideas down their throats that they don't hold to be true. You get mad when people feel this way and would like to shut them up while still maintaining your freedoms. That is a slippery slope. Hold true that many times in the past countries have started taking a few rights from a few people and ended up stomping on everyones. Now I will comment on the fact that gov. Ritter signed a bill allowing transgendered people to use whichever bathroom they chose. I don't worry if a man who identifies himself as a woman uses the womans bathroom he obviosly is not using it to look at the woman in the bathroom. What about the pervert who can take that law and use it as a means to attack or victemize women or girls. What about Nancy Pelosi shaking hands with the leader of a group dedicated to the rights of man-boy love. I don't blame the homesexual comunity for that but it does not help your cause. Equal right is just that not special rights. Go to work take care of your household keep your sex life in your home where it belongs and there will be no problem.

You may not worry about the guy dressed as a woman using a woman's restroom, but I sure as hell do! It would freak me out greatly to find one of our transgenders in the same restroom as me. How would you like to find out some guy is really a woman and is standing there washing "it's" while your peeing?!?!

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry lonley I was trying to make the point that a man who thinks hes a woman would not be it the restroom to look at or make passes at or prey on women because they are attracted to men. ( I think this is how it works. trying to figure it out just hurts my brain.) how a woman feels about it I cannot comment on. However if my wife has a problem in the bathroom I will find myself in our lovely justice system I believe.

cforevereyez 6 years, 6 months ago

"trying to figure it out just hurts my brain"

Please see a doctor immediately. Something that simple should not be painful.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

don't understand: having the parts but wanting to cut them off hurts my head. sorry i said i was going to stop being a smart ass for a minute times up.

lol, 50cal. did you really make it a full minute?? I guess you also don't know about the one transgender who got one of the churches to do a commitment ceremony to another woman a couple years ago? Was a big deal in the paper about that too! Anyway I think that is why I'd feel weird knowing one of them could now come into the same restroom as myself or any other woman.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

lonley, it was actually more than one minute. Typing isn't my strong suit. that long comment was alot of hunt and peck. I think cforever just doesn't love me any more.

50cal 6 years, 6 months ago

I know, now i'm going to have to shed a tear.