Senior girls reporting more rapes

Advocates director: Too soon to tell whether trend is developing

By the numbers

Percentage of Moffat County High School senior girls who said they had been raped

• 2005-06: 0 percent

• 2007-08: 27 percent

Source: Healthy Kids Colorado Survey

Whom to call if you or someone you know is sexually assaulted

Advocates-Crisis Support Services

• Main office: 824-9709

• 24-hour hotline: 824-2400

Craig Police Department

• Main office: 826-2370

• Communications Center: 824-6501

Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network

• 1 (800) 656-HOPE

www.rainn.org>

• Free, confidential help offered 24/7 with counseling services and connections to local assistance

— The number of Moffat County High School senior girls who reported being sexually victimized increased by 27 percent last year from the 2005-06 school year, according to the 2007-08 Healthy Kids Colorado Survey.

In his analysis of the recent survey results, MCHS principal Thom Schnellinger wrote that the increase was "disturbing."

However, an official from a local organization that keeps track of reported sexual assault cases cautioned it is too soon to tell whether the increase represents an anomaly or a trend.

MCHS students took the Healthy Kids Colorado Survey during the 2007-08 school year. The document measures various adolescent behaviors and attitudes.

In contrast, none of the senior girls who took the survey during the 2005-06 school year said she had been sexually victimized.

Advocates-Crisis Support Services has noted a similar trend.

"Our statistics are higher this year, unfortunately," Advocates Executive Director Pat Tessmer said.

Tessmer estimated the number of teenage girls reporting their sexual assault to the agency is about 30 percent higher than it was this time last year.

Teen sexual assault cases reported to Advocates abnormally were high during the first quarter of the year, she said.

However, the number of those cases has decreased this summer, Tessmer said.

She cautioned against using this year's statistics to conclude that sexual assault among teenagers is increasing.

Survey results may reflect a change in how students feel about reporting rape, not about the number of sexual assaults that actually occur, she said.

Other factors come into play.

The number of rape cases reported to the agency tend to fluctuate throughout the year, Tessmer said.

Even when reported sexual assault cases remain higher than average throughout the year, it doesn't always signify a trend.

"Every once in a while," Tessmer said, "we'll have a year that's just an anomaly."

When sexual assault reports remain higher than average for two years or more, "that's when I know there's been some shift in the community."

So far, that trend hasn't happened. Last year's sexual assault numbers were lower than average, Tessmer said.

If and when that trend develops, Tessmer plans to take action.

"If we have another high year again (next year), then I know that we have to do some education," she said, "some serious education."

Sexual assault victims can experience a wide range of effects, Tessmer said.

Immediately after the trauma, rape victims often enter an acute phase, she said, which can include feelings of shock, guilt and disassociation, or living on "auto-pilot."

In the next phase, victims can experience lingering feelings of guilt as well as self-blame, self-doubt and anger at the perpetrator, Tessmer said.

Tessmer said the ways in which a person copes with sexual assault may vary between individuals.

However, adolescents may not manage the effects of sexual abuse as well as an adult.

"People that are still growing into adulthood : haven't really had enough experience or time to develop really good coping skills," Tessmer said.

As a result, she said, some adolescents may use deviant behavior, including alcohol abuse, to cope with sexual assault.

"I just really encourage folks that have : been sexually assaulted to seek out some professional help and talk to someone about it," Tessmer said.

Bridget Manley can be reached at 875-1795 or bmanley@craigdailypress.com.

Comments

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

they say oh nevermind on to the next subject. when will they open the drive in? thats where sex-ed should be taught.

Hey red I would be sad to say it was just the one incident but joyfully there has been more than one

freeman 5 years, 9 months ago

so they think or say that if,,,,,if,,,,they have another year of high reported cases of rape ,that they will have to have some serious education???i think the person who waits for it to happen ,,,,again,,,needs some serious help......what the parents need to do is , do some serious ass kickin

grannyrett 5 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the case number is going up because there are more rapes, or if more girls are reporting it.

Cole White 5 years, 9 months ago

I am a little confused about this statistic. The article says that the number of girls who reported being sexually assaulted jumped 27% "The number of Moffat County High School senior girls who reported being sexually victimized increased by 27 percent last year from the 2005-06 school year, according to the 2007-08 Healthy Kids Colorado Survey."

Then the article says that 27% of 12th graders reported being sexually assaulted. "According to the survey, 27 percent of the high school's 12th-grade female students reported being sexually victimized or forced to have sexual intercourse against their will."

I am confused..... If 27% of senior girls reported being sexually victimized in 2007 then roughly 40 or so of the 150 girls were who were seniors were victimized and I don't remember even one rape being reported in the paper. As the father of a teenage daughter I would liked to have known we had a bunch of rapists running around Craig. If a high school has 1/4 of it's co-eds are being raped how is this not getting out to the community, to the police, and to the paper. But the article said that none reported beign sexually victimized in 2006. If 1 had reported being victimized in 2006 then the increase to 40 would be a 4000% increase wouldn't it?

The principal of the high school said it's "disturbing." This article is stating that 1 in 4 of our girls are being raped. This level isn't even in large metro areas. This isn't disturbing its boarding on insanity if 1 in 4 are being raped.

I think a few things may have happened here. 1) somebody didn't read the survey right, because we have two reports in the paper that the number increased by 27% and then that the total number of seniors who were raped was 27%. 2) A 27% increase could have been that there were 11 cases in 2006 and then 14 cases in 2007 and the increase of three caused the 27% increase from year to year. 3) If it is as the paper reports that a full 27% or 40 girls were raped in 2007 and none in 2006 then either there is serial rapist loose in Craig or a bunch of girls made a pact this year to lie on the survey as we use to when we were in highschool. When I was a senior we lied like crazy on these things. I never drank in highschool but in these surveys I stated I was getting wasted every night. Most of my friends said the same thing.

Regardless, I would like some clarification from the paper on these points.

50cal 5 years, 9 months ago

lets see if the math works out. there was a graduating class of 150 students last year. lets assume half were young woman and that this year will be about the same size. that means 20 of our young women got raped? and this is the first we have heard of it? How, how in gods name is this getting under the radars of everyone? in a town of 9000 twenty girls get raped? that would be terrible in a larger community. either we've got a serious problem, the facts are skewed or someone is not paying attention.

fordgodz 5 years, 8 months ago

I feel for these girls but have you seen the what they wear to school??? I don't meant to sound like a school marm but are they there to learn or to flash their selves?? and I don't know why alot of them aren't sent home to change. Alot of them are dressed like hookers!! No wonder the boy's are thinking its okay.. I know, bring on the comments...........

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

I know what you are saying fordgodz (oh, i love that name by the way)..something to do with a ford.....anyhow; I agree the girls look like hookers, not all of them but most do-and well some teachers do too anymore. And I'm not saying that it's okay for a guy to do that to a woman no matter how she's dressed...but my question is--how many of these girls thought that is what happened to them when it might have not actually been that? These were just surveys-I agree with Highway on the lying part. Where is the medically proven facts of all these rapes if they did occur? Why haven't we heard about it in such a small community?

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

i agree with fordgodz, some of these girls dress just like hookers and get away with it in school. I picked up my grandson from school last year from the middle school and a girl walked by with her thong showing above her pants, i was shocked her parents would let her out of the house like that with so much makeup on she looked like a clown, with a see through blouse on. But the boys have been sent home if they have a shirt on that has a bar logo on it. or something like that. And why isn't this reported to the paper or police so we can watch out for our teens?

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

one more thing, is it sexual assault? a middle school girl offered my grandson a sexual favor, but said she would'nt have sex, but would do the other. So who is raping who? And these kids are in the high school this year, very scary.

dempsey 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't think those girls are getting sexually assaulted I think they have sex with these boys and then the boys don't want them after all (because nobody wants to date a girl that puts out on the first night) and the boys leave them and then the girls get sad because they were used. And then they say they were raped or assaulted. I have seen girls do that with my own eyes, one girl was drunk and was all over this guy and they had sex both willing and then the next day she said she was raped. Luckily I seen what she was doing and the guy never got charged because she lied and I testified to it. I just can't believe how these girls dress to school they do look like prostitutes and of course the parents approve for their daughters to look like a prostitute because they buy their clothes and I'm sure they see them before they go to school. So wake up parents unless you want to be grandparents while your daughter is in HIGH SCHOOL.

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

dempsey, you just said it all in a nut shell. wake up you parents and be a parent, teach your teen about self respect.

jeff corriveau 5 years, 8 months ago

One thing that has been overlooked here is how was the survey written and who wrote it. I've been involved in some survey's and know that you can ask a question, knowing how it is going to be answered. And, what is the agenda behind the survey? If the survey results were used to help continue some "program" or position, I would be highly suspect. Come on Daily Press, why aren't YOU asking these questions?????

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

I have read the article twice now, and I'm totally confused. None reported last year and it's up 27% this year. There were 27 sexual assaults? Please clear this up Daily Press. I agree with you all about how they dress. Also about how they would lie on a survey. It has always been cool to lie about your sexual experiences. Especially if you seem to be the only one around who doesn't have any.

Have none of you ever heard of date rape?? I have been there, done that and it's not something you want to report to your parents or the law. First off your embarrassed as hell that you fell for some jocks lines when everyone in school knew what he'd do but you. And secondly, if you do report it, you have people saying things like this because they don't know just what happened. Now I'm not saying that girls today don't dress like they are doing to be out walking the streets instead of doing home work.........and how many parents go to work before their kids go to school and come home long after the kids are out of school??? how much control do they have over what their girls wear when that happens?? Just say it is date rape and she is totally embarrassed, a survey in school where no one knows what you wrote or that it was you that wrote it, is the best way to report it so to speak. The prarents need to talk more to their kids about the crap that is out there and what is ok and what's not. That goes for boys too. I would bet they see lots of garbage on tv and think "we'll if it's on tv, it must be ok for us to treat them that way? or........oh heck there is just to much for our youth to be exposed to and we need to spend alot more time with our kids talking about what's ok and what isn't.

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

i agree somewhat with you lonelyone, yes the parents must not talk to their kids on what is right or wrong, but do these girls go out and buy all their school clothes without a parent. Yes most parents are at work when the kids go to school, thats where the school should step in and send them home to change, they do the boys. and its not always the boys, some of these girls think its ok to have sex then cry rape when their parents find out! so its not always the boys doing date rape.

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

I worry more about the kids drinking and doing drugs, I am glad my kids are grown. But now I find my self worring about my teen grand kids, I have both by the way girls and boys, I know the things they feel they can't talk to their parents about they come to me and we talk, they sure can make my face red sometimes. But at least they are talking and asking questions.

I agree with you Granny. It does work both ways. But there are still too many out there that say the girls must have done something to ask for it. And I do agree that girls should be sent home when they dress terrible. Someone should be giving these kids the self confidence they need to to say I'm important and your not going to treat me this way. But we don't and I'm sure as a parent I could have done a much better job too. I guess the thing I'm really trying to say is none of us here know what happened to these girls and why we are just now getting some kind of word. We're just shocked by the numbers and jumping to conclusions.

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

i was date raped one time. Enjoyed every minute of it.

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

what? all you women are saying that the way you dress invites the way your treated? I cannot believe that wearing skimpy clothes invites rape. In my younger day I went to certain establishments around all military bases where the women routinely wore very little and never did I think of raping one. Now I think the survey is skewed and someone is probably looking for funding. what say you?

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

I think the numbers are messed up. I think all things are possible, but someone needs to double check these numbers. lonely, you are right. Parents need to be parents, not best friends with their kids. That is the biggest mistake a parent can make. Even though both parents are working, it is up to them to set down the rules and follow through with them. They say that rape is not about sex, but about violence. I think it is about both. It's about control. Let's find out what is going on and see what can be done.

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

first things first we need to find out if this has actually happened

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

you would say you were date raped 50....your kinda funny.

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

oh and by the way you should stop disparaging hookers. they have way better taste in the cloths they wear than most teenage girls you see walking around craig. geez come on you women. what has this world turned too?

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Sometime's i dress like a hooker..my mom still tells me that. (sorry off subject)

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

honestly she took advantage of my situation.

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

But you are a guy and you had no control over her or the situation....sorry again im off subject...or am I?

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

when i get into that situation I have very little control. uh let me rephrase that control is all in the breathing. but it was still date rape or At least i like to think so.

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

you say that as if you are in that situation often. Was this just one date rape incident?

Cole White 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, almost a full three days since the article was written and the press still hasn't cleared up the questions to the article. This is a serious matter and I don't think that the press has done enough follow up. Statistics can be skewed to say just about what ever you want them to if you know how to present them. Regardless of how a girl dresses or how there parents are parenting them sex education isn't offered enough in the school system and we have a bunch of kids who think they are Ron and Jenna. A very few holier than though parents don't want sex-ed taught in school so it's taught on the couch in the TV room between 3 and 5 when the parents haven't returned home from work yet or in the back of a car. Didn't the paper just report a couple months ago about condoms and stds? They sure can present a story but are pretty poor with their follow up. Please shoot us some clarrification on this, because if 1 in 4 of our senior girls are being rapped then this is worse than any meth problem we have. What say you CDP?

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

very good points silent. the questions are often leading just like a poll. I can't help but think someone needed funding for a program. I still say that if you had 20 girls raped here in a community of 9000 to 13000 people that would be way over average for our size and we should be seeing some sort of investigation or lynch mob or something shouldn't we?

but not if they are not reporting it to the powers that be! it's a survey, not a crime report!

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

Why weren't any of the boys asked questions on a survey? Sexual assault and or harrasment can go both ways.

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

granny your right, rape goes both ways and a guy is less likely to report this crime then a girl. I would also like to see the survey in its entirety. now just to tick a few of you off. the way they dress???? oh my gosh!!! i thought society had progressed past that. For some reason I think everyone figured out that rape has nothing to do with sex it is about power and control. and yes, absolutely we need to educate our sons, daughters, grandchildren, and etc at home but we don't need to be so naive and think that education in the school is not going to make a difference. I think it might be interesting to see how much teen pregnancy AND sexual assaults have gone up since we decided to take a "moral approach" to sex education and turn a blind eye and decide to keep it out of the high school.

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

thats true that your clothes dont make you a easy target, but their actions do. then the guy or girl gets a mixed feelings on what they can do or not do. so it happens and they call rape. Yes we need to get the right numbers. I think they are wrong. I been hoping for one of those so called rape dates, I guess I need to go to the high school. just kidding!

Sex Ed use to be in the Jr Hi! Do they even still teach it there? I'm just wondering something here. Do you think tv has something to do with the way girls dress? I mean look at some of the women on the shows!! I've already seen the effects of Pro sports on our young men, so why not place some of the blame on tv?? just a thought.

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes...sex ed is taught in 6th grade now days....yes 6th...these are 11 & 12 year olds. I remember it being taught in 7th & 8th when i was in school. I don't think the crime of rape and or sexual assault comes from dress, sex ed., t.v. or even video games. It comes from the way in which children are raised. Kids learn and grow their lives based upon how their parents have raised them....and what parents have & have not disciplined them on. When I was a kid my dad beat my ass-not often but it happened. I remember getting back-handed by my mom...and for that I am a better adult because I learned right from wrong. Granted some kids never learn but they can be influenced-both good and bad. So whether or not these girl lied-goes back to their parents. Whether or not boys did these things-goes back to their parents.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

tax--You mean you want the Press to do some real reporting? Good luck. hahahah! lol

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

tsk tsk, It always goes back to the parents? No the problem is everyone is always blaming someone else. It needs to go back to the person/child committing the act. Not the parents, not the schools, maybe TV-I don't know. But, i DO know that no one seems to be making anyone accountable anymore. Redneck girl I don't think you meant it this way I have read enough of your opinions to know that, plus you have had your ass beat enough times, ha ha ha ha. But we have to remember 1. punish the criminal not the victim. 2. make the punishment fit the crime. 3. treat all perps equal. just because someone has great parents or lousy parents or have been here for three generations, it should not matter. hmmm, I think i am ranting

taxslave 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey Daily Press......Where did you get these figures and why haven't we heard about this until now and who decided to tell you?

Back up your story.

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

not always the parents to blame but i do think the parents have a lot to do with how much good and bad influence they have on a kids life. I think as an adult; sometimes i still need my ass beat at times!

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

these days the kids will not take the blame, their comment is get over it and walk away. I've seen that happen a couple of times with my neighbor and her kids. then she is left to explain and say sorrys to people for what her kids did. And like she said if she would back hand him she would be the one to go to jail. You can't spank kids any more they call child abuse, so yes its not always the parents or schools,

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

nope granny thats the wrong attitude. The right attitude is if I beat your ass for something you did wrong and you want to call and report it then you had better hope you never see me again because the next ass whooping you get will make the first seem like childs play. parents need to be firm, let their kids know the clear limits of their actions and then love them and let them explore their world but within bounds. I know some will get mad but I still say that a actively involved mommy and daddy is the best thing for kids.

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

50cal, my attitude is like yours. My kids got their ass beat when they needed it. I would never put up with a child throwing a fit in the store, like I see so much anymore. I've even made the commet to the parent, someone needs their little butt spanked. Well you know how that went over. And my daughters are better parents today for it and so are my grandkids. They raised them the same way. And I am very happy how they turned out so far, and when I find out stuff now on what they did in the past I still ground them, even though they just laugh at me.

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

ha ha granny, I try grounding my adult children too! But you know what, my children do apologize to me for things they have done in the past. My children got swats when they needed it, and they had consequences. They say timeouts do not work but I put myself in Time outs I don't know how many times, whew thank goodness for timeouts! I know timeout is suppose to be for the kids but, come on!

50cal 5 years, 8 months ago

agreed thats where the modern generation has gone astray

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

I ground my self to my bedroom, I love it.
grounding and time out goes both ways, I was a single mom and when I came home late a little bit to tispy, my daughters let me know and they were right, I was not cool, They grounded me for a month, so we all learned a good lesson, and respect

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Someone should have showed you how to sneak in the window granny! HA!

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

I got an e-mail from bjacobson wanting to know what I meant when I ask if you wanted the Press to do some real reporting. Did anyone else get one? Do you want to let him know what we feel the problem is, or am I the only one who has a problem?

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

I just got a very nice reply to my e-mail to Bryce Jacobson-publisher. Thank you Bryce for the prompt reply. He said they will do a follow-up on this story. Maybe if we let him know what we have problems with, it will help to make a better paper for all of us.

I have known Bryce to be a very nice guy. I think if we express our concerns in a decent and calm manner, he will see what he can do? I know some of their reporters are fairly young and maybe they just aren't sure of the questions to ask? Anyway, Bryce thanks for paying attention.

XMAYOR 5 years, 8 months ago

Is all you people do is read the paper???? Why don't u get involved in other "actual ways"????

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

XMAYOR--We are doing what we want to do. Visiting with each other this way is just fine with us. Do you have a problem?

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

must be all you do too...otherwise you wouldn't have posted...you're not our dad...go boss someone else around that will listen. You don't know us so how do you know we aren't involved in "actual ways"??

lol..........your not my dad!! Redneckgirl you crack me up at times. And 50cal, it's no wonder you were date raped, if you like getting smacked around by bears, your just asking for it!!Just kidding. I get a kick out of some of your comments, but it is kind of serious. I do think we need more info and maybe Bryce will get it for us. It seems to be the topic of choice for now and it would be nice to know some more of the facts about the survey and so on.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

XMAYOR-How else can we keep up with all that goes on in our little corner of the world? Don't you read the paper? If you don't discuss the news and the impact it has on our lives, shame on you. Some of us don't live in town, are retired, and don't have the social contacts that we used to have. This is it, buddy.

lilmisstrouble 5 years, 8 months ago

First of all i know that alot of girls lie about things like this to get attention and get the guy into trouble because he will not pay attention to them... on the other hand if this is really happening then we need to know about it as a community. I remember in high school here how upper classmen would take you to the third floor by the wrestling room and try to get freshmen girls to do sexual favors for them. It happened ALOT! The statistics that were printed by CDP are alarming. My question is why dosen't the staff keep better tabs on the students? Second question is what is going to happen in our schools now that the GENDER FREE bathrooms have passed? Isn't that just inviting more rapes?? Hopefully our schools can find a way around the gender free bathrooms ( and locker rooms too)

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

what? gender free restrooms? why? and why have i not heard this?

I hope our schools refuse to allow such a thing to happen. How much crazier can our govener get. What a stupid idea. I don't care if some trans-sexual feels they aren't treated fairly, this was a stupid thing for him to do.

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Wouldn't that violate some type of privacy right? I could understand it if it were a one room restroom with a locking door such as you would see at the doctors office but a bathroom with multiple stalls is outrageous. They're just asking for a lawsuit on that one. One that would probably involve some type of constitutional rights violation.

speech_geek 5 years, 8 months ago

ok this is to those who want to know why its not in the paper! ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!! girls want to keep this a secret. once this happens to you, you feel worthless you feel like you were used and torn apart and its no one elses business that we feel this way!!!

granny 5 years, 8 months ago

speech_geek, you talk like you know first hand. You are still angry it sounds like, When it happens to you the best thing is to speak up, so maybe this person can be stopped. Yes we always blame ourself's for it happening, I know I did. it almost happened to me from my uncle. I could'nt go to my mother, I thought she would blame me, at the time, I was 15. I finally confided to another person I could trust, they made me understand it was not my fault. I had nothing to be shamed of, lucky I kicked the sos off of me before anything else could happen. I grew to except it but never forgot. That was about 45 years ago. I feel your pain if that happened to you or someone you love . Rape is a very serious crime.

speech_geek, if you have read all of these posts, I too understand what you must be feeling. I can also understand that you think this is none of our busincess and I kind of think the reason it has been discussed so much here, is that maybe we feel that there is something serious going on and if there is somone going around raping our young women, as parents and grandparents, we'd like to know what is going on so we can protect our children. Maybe if this had been brought to light some time ago, it might not have happened to you? I know that nothing we say will make you feel better, but Granny is right, it's not your fault. Yes as older adults we do have concerns about how many of the young girls dress, but how you dress should not get you raped, but many young guys with control problems probably don't see it that way. As for you young men who might be reading this, you should always treat a girl the way you'd want some guy to treat your sister or your mother.

eieio 5 years, 8 months ago

My daughter goes to the high school. I wonder how "true" this survey was. She said they ran out of time and the teachers asked them to put their names on a post it note and put it on their paper and they could finish them the next day. Yea, that is really doing some good and getting some honest answers. If this was a survey and they wanted real answers, not a great way to get them.

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

regardless of how the survey was done and what all was asked in it, it still brought an issue to life that Craig was not wanting to address. Thank goodness that the editor is going to pursue this a little deeper, maybe than we wont have people suffering through years of silence or even self blame because the minority and the weak minded wonder "if this was really true" speech_geek you are a survivor. What you have lived through and still have to deal with is a cancer it can eat you alive slow or fast, you can recover but you don't have to do it alone, and you deserve praise for being who you are. Thank you for sharing your story, I am looking forward to this issue not being "hidden away". I know some of the comments might have seemed harsh and rude to some but I honestly believe no one meant any harm, the subject is alarming and sometimes that is just how people deal.

eieio 5 years, 8 months ago

It is really scary though, to wonder how many more there could be if the survery would have remained announymous. Only some of the teachers allowed the students to finish the survey completely the same day. Some of the kids believe that the survey makes no difference. The school isn't going to make any changes. The kids tell me that they smoke pot in the back hallways, have oral sex back there. I guess there are no cameras in the back stairways. So Lord only knows what else goes on back there.
My daughter now wonders about undressing in the locker rooms. If the bathrooms etc..... are now transgender or whatever the heck they are callling them....she says they might as well get undressed in the gymnasium....

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

A doctor from Denver-Arvada?- wrote a letter to the editor the other day. It's about the transgender bill. Check it out, and google the bill number. http://www.craigdailypress.com/forums/stories/104082/

bjacobson 5 years, 8 months ago

Greetings,

Many of you have requested more information regarding this survey. We have added the surveys to the story. If you go to the top of this forum and click on the story title it will take you back to the story. On the left rail there are two links, one for the survey results from 2005 and one for the survey results for 2008. We are working on other stories regarding this particular survey.
Thanks for your feedback. Bryce Jacobson, Publisher, bjacobson@craigdailypress.com.

grannyrett 5 years, 8 months ago

What the heck is going on in our schools and our families. People, it is time to take back our kids. The government is wrong to tell you how to discipline your kids. There needs to be some good old butt kicking going on. I know some of the parents need theirs kicked too. It's time parents started being parents, kids started behaving in school, and teachers started disciplining. Our younger generation is going to hell on a roller skate, and something needs to stop it.

speech_geek 5 years, 8 months ago

Ya i do know first hand!!! I've been there!! im one person in that 27%!!! and you kno i did report it!!! but its not everyones business to kno! i handled it through my parents and law enforcement NOT through the paper! And ya granny i am still mad!!! Try having to deal with it when your friend, mom, and sister dont believe you!!! i had to go to my dad and step mom a year later after he kept showing up at my work to harass me!!! The whole town didnt need to know that then!!! I WAS embarrassed! Did you know they make you go in a court room and explain as much in detail to wat happened!!! You relive it enough as it is!!

speech_geek 5 years, 8 months ago

i actully just read All the comments. and i do want to apoligize about getting angry about this. I just think its messed up how this stuff is delt with! It doesnt matter if us girls report it. Most of them get one year in prison then let out. This was this guys 4th offence and thats all he got! He's now out and living in Denver and He's not aloud in the town of Craig without atthorities and myself and 3 other girls being aware! but still its hard to live knowing he's still out there and possibly doing this to more girls!!!

redneckgirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Speech, you have every right to be upset & angry about it. I think you are great for speaking up on this forum about it. As far as I know, most of us posters- are all parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers: and all we have is concern for these issues. It's not because we want to be nosey and know everything, we want to be aware of what's happening to protect those we care about. What comes around goes around and the person that did this to you will have it coming. You are very courageous and I wish you nothing but the best.

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

speech, you do not have to apologize. Rather you realize it or not, you saved and helped uncountable girls by reporting. You did something th at most girls do not do. It must have been hard on you when you were not believed but you did it.
This forum is here for you to speak out and it is absolutely okay to yell. I am a female, i love to YELL. its all good

Craig_gal 5 years, 8 months ago

hmmm. i swore i corrected my previous comment to say whether not "rather" you realize it or not.
the high school teachers that read these post are going to be so shamed.