Despite falling oil prices, local gas prices continue to hover around highs set about a week ago. AAA Colorado Spokesperson Wave Dreher said the trend is common around the country.

Cost of gas stagnant after oil price falls

Local gas gauge

Regular unleaded and diesel prices, per gallon, as of Wednesday

Sinclair, 666 W. First St.

• Unleaded: $4.38

Gofer Foods (Conoco), 923 E. Victory Way

• Unleaded: $4.49

• Diesel: $5.14

Kum & Go, 700 E. Victory Way

• Unleaded: $4.49

• Diesel: $5.15

Trevco, 702 Industrial Ave.

• Unleaded: $4.49

• Diesel: $5.15xt

— Since average unleaded and diesel prices in Colorado hit an all-time high July 17, oil prices have started to fall.

Gas prices have responded to the drop, albeit slowly.

Although the wholesale price for a barrel of oil has fallen throughout the last week, prices at the pump have been slower than usual to respond, AAA Colorado Spokesperson Wave Dreher said.

"I've been told there's about a five-business day lag between when wholesale prices fall and when we see that on the retail price," she said. "Seems to be, for this (wholesale drop), this drop in retail prices is taking longer, but we can't really say why. But we will eventually see it at the retail level."

On July 17, the state average for regular unleaded gas was $4.09 per gallon. The average diesel cost that day was $4.84 per gallon.

On Wednesday, the state average for a gallon of regular unleaded gas had fallen to $4.04, and a gallon of diesel fell to $4.81.

Those averages are within a few cents of national averages.

Retail gas prices Wednesday in Craig were almost 10 percent higher for regular unleaded, and diesel prices were higher, as well.

The average for a gallon of regular unleaded Wednesday afternoon was $4.43 per gallon.

The same average for per gallon of diesel was $5.09 per gallon.

Both averages top all-time state and national average highs.

Dreher could not say for certain what will happen with oil prices in the future.

"I've heard speculation for both directions - that it will go up and that it will go down," she said. "In my opinion, no one knows one way or the other. But we're happy to see some relief for the time being."

Dreher added that Tropical Storm Dolly, which is hitting the Texas coast, could impact refineries there and drive prices back up for a time.

"It may affect it and it may not," she said, "depending on how much damage the storm does along the Gulf Coast."

Collin Smith can be reached at 875-1794 or cesmith@craigdailypress.com

Comments

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

for the first time ever I have seen gas cheaper in rifle than in craig. can you believe 4.30 a gallon in rifle? I think someone in craig is now inflating or keeping the prices higher because we are so isolated.

AltitudeAdjustment 6 years, 4 months ago

$3.89 in places in Denver. 20 cents less in the Boat. Is there a gas cartel in Craig?

They sure don't waste any time putting the higher price up, but it takes longer to bring them down at the pump?? What's up with that, Craig stations??

granny 6 years, 4 months ago

Why would Craig pumps come down in price at the pumps the rich get richer.

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

I wonder what would happen if a group of citizens decided to stand outside (on Public sidewalks) with signs that said "GASOLINE IS CHEAPER IN STEAMBOAT SPRINGS" "IF YOU CAN MAKE IT TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO HAYDEN" or something like that. I go to work every morning past the Loaf 'n Jug and there is ALWAYS a line of vehicles at the pumps. It really is to bad that the people that are working in the oil fields are being held hostage by the corporate greed of the local Come and Go's and the Loaf 'n Jug. They have to get out to the fields or they don't get paid and it is the same with all of the working people out there.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Bingo! Kg sets the prices in this town, or it used to. Comes out of Iowa.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

OMG does no one understand? there is no compitition weve got three kum and gos two conocos and a loaf and jug. Every morning a report goes out to headquarters stating what your nearest competetors are charging. if your store is the same price as the one down the street and everyone is still buying your fuel why would you lower the price? people are paying what your asking.

valleylocal 6 years, 4 months ago

If you don't like the price of gas then ride your bike to work! I pay my employees $3 a day for riding their bike to work. And by the way, one locally owned gas station makes 5 cents a gallon for profit, so why run them out of business?

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaAiZuqHqY another you tube this one from Chuck Norris. he is very vocal about how inadaquate our congress has and is about the oil. He also talks about a petition out there to sign www.americansolutions.com. Go check these out. valleylocal good for you maybe if all business' did that the gas companies in this town would lower their prices

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

valleylocal-That's okay if you live in town. Some have to drive 20-50 miles a day to go to work. My brother drives over 100 miles one way to get to his office. Ride a bike? Good if you can.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

because he has to set his price as high as the others you think someone is running him out of town?

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

I drive a 100 miles a day ... my car pool partner and I discussed riding our bikes. We decided we would leave the night before and take lots of beer with us for the trip. We are going to pull it in one of those kid carrier things behind us. Should be fun.

granny 6 years, 4 months ago

redneck, I don't work but can I come? I have a bike, I can keep the beer cold while you two work, but I might be too drunk to ride home. Oh I can curl up in the kid carrier and sleep all the way back. But how do we tow my bike home! let me know

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

I think that would be called "PRICE FIXING" and is against the law but it needs to be proven as such.

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

I thought the "zone" had something to do with how far away from the interstate we are and the cost of delivering gas to our area costs more. Anybody know how true that is?

I think we're in the Twilight ZONE!! ;o)

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with being close to an interstate. If so, then why for most of this year has Rifle been higher then us?? Or sometimes Baggs is cheaper then "Wamsutter?? They say it is the cost of transportation and I don't buy that either. I know many people have different thoughts as to why some places are higher then others. I wish I knew the truth. it does seem to be price fixing to me too. Anyone remember several years ago how Glenwood Springs pitched a fit and someone from the state did an investigation and it went no where?? We wanted them to come to Craig and check us out too, but they didn't. If anyone wants it, I have a web site you can go to and enter in the zip code for the town you want to check out and it'll bring up their prices. It is usually right on, but not always.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

isolation plus the lack of competitionis what drives the prices look how many more stations there are in steamboat.

granny 6 years, 4 months ago

I went to Grand Junction today. Regular gas cost me $3.80, wow stupid me I filled up here first. But I did top off my tank. Like I said the rich just get richer here, they got to pay for their big boy toys!

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

junction is such a lovely drive granny. was shopping fun? Only one thing though. you can't call yourself stupid. we save the stupids for the special people on the forum.

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

So many granny's & such little time....oh, jeez..i'm glad i'm not considered special. Or am I? That comment must have been for makelovetotexans

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

yes he would be one of the "special" people.

granny 6 years, 4 months ago

One day redneckgirl you too will be a granny, II hope not to soon. And yes thank you 50cal, my grandson and I have had a great day, We had one of those talk's that only a grandmother and grandson can. Shopped until he droped, yes some would think you are special redneckgirl! I just hope you too have a special bond with your grandkids like I do. Gee I think I like them better, just kiding.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

grandkids are way better granny, you could never load up the kids on sugar and then take them home. or feed your own a little something thats not good for them. I taught mine how to stick his tounge out at people when he was about two months old. grandkids are the best fun.

granny 6 years, 4 months ago

good for you, and yes they are the best, I couldn't get through the week without them,