Guest Editorial: McCain right for Colorado, country

As our country prepares to elect a new president in November and we must choose who will bring our country forward, the disparity between Barack Obama and John McCain is clear. Where Obama is wavering on every issue he stood for in the primary season, McCain is offering real solutions to the issues we are facing every day.

Recently, the conversation has turned to energy, and once again, Obama's unwillingness to offer innovative solutions on this pressing issue is in contrast with McCain's desire for immediate action.

This is especially true in comparing the two men's stance on coal.

Obama and his Congressional Democrat supporters believe coal is a "dirty energy" that ought to be taxed. Obama has said "what we need to tax is dirty energy, like coal, and to a lesser extent, natural gas," and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has echoed that sentiment in saying "coal makes us sick. Oil makes us sick." What Harry Reid calls "dirty energy" that "makes us sick" also happens to put food on the tables and roofs over the heads of many hardworking Colorado families. Not to mention that coal provides seven-tenths of our state's electricity. In 2006, Colorado produced 36,000 short tons of coal and consumed 19,707 to generate electricity.

Home to more than 5 percent of annual natural gas production in the country, Colorado has seven of the nation's 100 largest natural gas fields. Obama wants to tax that, too, which would definitely burden Colorado households, about three-fourths of which use natural gas as their primary energy source for home heating - one of the highest shares in the country. We can't afford Obama's tax hikes on top of the ever-rising gas prices that will come if he reinstates the windfall profits tax on oil companies, a measure he supports despite its failure in the 1980s.

McCain is dedicated to using our coal to the nation's advantage through the development of clean coal technologies, which will, in turn, decrease our dependence on foreign energy sources and could produce 30,000 jobs for Americans. He knows it plays a crucial role in our future energy portfolio. Developing clean coal that's commercially viable on a large scale requires investment by the federal government, and as president, McCain has said he will commit $2 billion annually toward this technology's advancement. He thinks we must invest now in the science, research, and development to produce and sell clean coal globally, which will contribute to the international green economy.

In addition to taxing coal and natural gas, Obama will consider banning "new traditional coal facilities" to develop clean coal technology. Reid has gone so far as to say "there is no clean coal technology," and a spokesman for the Nevada Senator said Reid's "antipathy toward coal extends beyond Nevada and is not limited to conventional plants." Western states such as Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico rely on coal - and it's a vital part of these states' economies. This is a pessimistic and out-of-touch attitude and it's the wrong approach to utilizing coal to our benefit. With the possibility of thousands of new jobs, a cleaner environment, and less dependence on foreign energy, why would Obama and the Democrat Congressional leadership want to hinder its innovation?

Considering half our country's electricity is coal-produced, moving forward with our energy portfolio must include a large component of coal. The U.S. Department of Energy says our 267 billion short tons of coal reserves comprise 27 percent of the world total. We depend on this resource, especially here in Colorado, and we need a president who will work for our best interests.

Obama is wrong for Colorado and his high-tax platform and misguided policies toward coal would no doubt bring the wrong kind of "change" to our lives and livelihoods.

John McCain's pro-growth economic plan, coupled with his desire for innovative ways to achieve energy independence and boost domestic energy production while causing minimal effects on the environment exemplifies the type of leadership only a man with the experience, courage, and tenacity to bring America forward can offer.

Comments

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh my God!! John McBush as president???!!!! Now let's look at this. McBush has been documented thru many recorded sessions...either Meet The Press or other interviews...and McBush on many many occasions has said he has backed "W" on just about everything he has pushed for. I don't have time to list all the complete failures and crimes committed by the current administration...but needless to say...Bush ..being the good puppet president he is...has been the WORST president in history! The Iraq war is a prime example of the bumbling idiots accomplishments! The handling of the Afghanistan war is second. The scandals committed by Bush or his surrogates is at best...appalling!! And McBush claims that Bush has been a excellent president??!!!..AND YOU'LL VOTE FOR MCBUSH AND BELIEVE THAT OBAMA WILL BRING DOWN THE WARTH OF GOD??!!! HA..HAHA.HAHAHAHAHAHA!! It'd be funny if not down right ludicris to even entertain the notion that McBush is the right person for there perilous times!! Under Dufus Bush...the feds have racked up nearly 6 trillion dollars in dept....6 TRILLION DOLLARS PEOPLE!! IN LESS THAN 8 YEARS????!!!!!! Good luck with those thoughts...but uh...every poll is suggesting a complete opposite of what this opinion editorial is saying. Even most informed GOP politicians and pun tiffs are acknowledging that the GOP is "GOING" to get it's ass kicked in November. Thanks to Georgie Bush and Company!! And John McBush supports George? Oh yeah...he's gonna make a great president!! NOT!!!!

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Look at what Obama will give you. If he wins, you will lose.

taxslave 6 years, 5 months ago

Shrill for McInsane?......I don't think so......I'd rather lose.

I don't think either one will make a good president! They both scare me.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

hatred just absolute hatred I don't get all the kool-aid drinking that goes on John McCain is so far from george Bush you've got to be brain washed or uninformed if you believe he will continue with bushes policies. 1. McCain believes in global warming Bush doesn't support it. 2. McCain has said since the beginning of the Iraq war that we needed more troops in there to quell the violence. 3. McCain has been the strongest voice on reducing spending. He voted no on both bush tax cuts not because he didn't want tax cuts but because spending wasn't decreased at the same time.

Are you still mad that you lost in 2000? its a pity you hold such a grudge about that, otherwise you could see that McCain is definatly not one to follow the republican talking points.

Oh and Iraq, well things are sooo screwed up there that the terrorists have been all over the united states bombing us and killing babies and flying more planes into buildings right?

I have an email that I'd like to put on here that states the different views for taxes. Obama is going to tax your butt off!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Pathetic actually and you make no sense. I believe and know that McBush is nothing but a has been old geezer. He's out of touch and I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM...EVER..NOR DUFUS BUSH!! You must be kidding me...Right??!!!! McBush has Extremist Right wing people running his campaign. He was fanatically against the new G.I. bill but after it was past..He was trying to take credit for this bill and Dufus Bush stuck his name and Johnny Boy McBush in the news saying that they supported that bill enthusiastically!! Flip Flop'n John can't even get his facts straight about who's who in Iraq..you know...who's friendly and whos not!! And Joe Lieberman...who is hoping to be McBush's V.P. pick...if nothing more than a Jew that hates Arabs and he supports McBush because McBush says we will be there was decades. Oh..that's right. About 4 years ago..McBush was documentedd as saying that if the Iraqi government wanted the U.S. out...we would say..O.K. But now? Oh hell no!! If McBush gets elected...there is going to be much blood shed in Iraq ooziing from U.S. men and women. The country cannot support this bogus war and we'll end up like the Soviet Union did...FLAT BROKE!! And you think McCain is a great choice??!!! McBush has become Dufus Jr...he's a rediculous has been and he sucks!!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

You're all exaggerating and you're not listen to anyone but Ruuuuuuuush Limbaugh...you know...a knwn drug addict??!!! Simple minded people that can't understand truth. READ SOME TURTH!!! MORE LATER.

bigrred1576 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you lonely, neither will make a good president, but the dems think they have already won because they have run Bush down for 8 years. (regardless, everything is his fault.), Obama scares the heck out of me. he is too slimy. Can't, I hope you enjoy your taxes doubling when the dems win, i won't.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm not going to argue with people that have been GOP supporters...forever! You got what you voted for these last 7+ years and you'll get what you voted for if McBush gets elected. I find it funny that you can't find many people who approve of Dufus Bush and Company...They have broken the Constitution with the violation of the 4th Amendment. Many people were jumping for joy when the supreme court made it clear on our 2nd Amendment rights. But what the hell does that give us if the 4th Amendment isn't upheld??!! The Modern Day Gestapo can bust in your door..declare you're a home grown terrorist...remove you and your firearms....end of story!! 2nd Amendment?? Right!! And you support a jerk that claims that he has overwhelmingly support Dufus and Mr. V.P....cause they've been work'n hard you see!! Hell..if a Democrat had pulled the same crap as the GOP has...you people would be loading your pistols and rifles getting ready!! You are so convinced that anything other than a NeoNaziCon is a Commie and a terrorist...you can't even see that the extreme Right wing has you right where they want you....CONVINCED!!! How you slam me doesn't mean a thing to me. It's not gonna change the fact the McBush isn't fit to be president let alone having the capacity with knowledge.....You decide and suffer the results. Oh...by the way...even the insiders in the GOP know they're gonna get their butts kicked this election. GOOD LUCK!

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Cantstand--Funny, things didn't start going to hell until the Democrats took control of the house and senate.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

you make so little sense love texans that there is no argueing with some leftwing liberal who holds a grudge because his ultra green guy lost in 2000 why don't you go to one of his companies that sell carbon credits and blow your wad there instead

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

You see?! Why argue with the simple minded! Things didn't start going to hell until the Demos took control of the house and senate. That isn't even worth the response..for you know nothing and you show you intelligence and non ability to comprehend. You seriously need to stop listening to Fake News or you can call it False Noise....Bill O'Reilly...Shawn Hannity, Brit Hume...or oh my God....ANN COLTER?????!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah..that's feeding your brain with well informed non biased reporting. Oh..by the way..what is it? 50 cal??!! What...you think you're some kind of gun freak? I'm gonna drop you a little secret here weeble ones....I'm a revolutionist!!! I want this government to hit rock bottom....anarchy is actually becoming my point of view. And if you think I'm just blowing wind......you'd be sadly mistaken. Thanks to the bloodless coup accomplished by the current administration in 2000..the lies to take this country into a war they lost within the first year...IRAQ.....and thanks to these criminals and the arrogance and lawlessness they practice every single day...you "WELL INFORMED" Right wing nut cases are partly to blame for this as well...BECAUSE YOU VOTED FOR THEM!!! BRILLIANT!!! JUST FREAKING BRILLIANT! So....you can't argue with people that cannot reason....I'm finished with you but I'll be watching. And by the way...I'm not a wuss..so be careful!!! Oh..and McBush is a slime bag to boot you know....his first wife laying in a hospital bed and he's out messing with other women. High moral standards and trustworthy...yeah??!!!! Have fun with the collapse of this country...because the Reeeeeeeeeeepublicans are mostly to blame for bringing this to past....traitors!!!

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstand--Just go away. Far, far away. I got a belly full of you when you first started posting. For those that are interested, click on cantstand and read all his previous posts. A total nut job. Maybe if we ignore him, he'll go away.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

your right can't stand we cant reason with mindless fools. I consulted with a few people and we have a diagnoses for your problem. its called cranial rectal inversion. common problem with people in your mind set. simple cure pull your head out and take a deep breath of fresh air. if you want to threaten me go ahead I think I can handle it. just make sure your gonna come out and do it.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstand not only hates McCain, he hates hunters too. He hates me and everyone else. Guess that puts me in some mighty fine company.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

If you voted for Duffy Bush and if you have some simple minded notion that John McBush is the right old geezer for the job.....then who really got an anal probe Mr. Fifty Cal??!! And uh grannyrett.....up your ass!!! Mindless uninformed probably claiming to be a Christian hypocrites!! You call me a nutjob because I happen to read what the criminals holding the White House have pulled off in the name of FREEDOM OF COURSE! Fools without rules that don't know the difference between right or wrong....AND YOU PEOPLE BELIEVE THESE TRAITORS!! Grannyrett...there isn't a person in Moffat county that wants to mess with me. Go to hell!!! PLEASE!!! Anytime FIIIIIFTYCAL!!! ANYTIME!! See??!! Typical uneducated reeeeeeepublians!! Viva la Revolution!!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah...you're screaming stupidity that McBush is the messiah and Obama is Belzebulb. I'm gonna say that you...people...were saying the same crap about Kerry and Gore. So if you voted for Retard Bush...and he is a retard...then what does that say about you and the facts about perspectives affecting this country and every person in the U.S???!!!! Look at the results of this lawless administration....and you voted for this eh??!! Brilliant. You have no idea whats right nor wrong either...so therefore...you have no business trying to persuaded others that McBush is right...Obama is wrong. If you haven't figured this out yet...this country is probably doomed as a united country. It's broke...bankrupted...un-united...fractured into many directions. If you honestly believe in Bush and McBush..why aren't you people over in Iraq and FIGHT'N FER FREEDOM??!! At least passing out donuts and water...something!!! Or is it that you think it's not a true embedded belief you hold about a progressive America and it's all about Reeeeeeeepublians verse them thar Liberals!!! HUH??!!!

holey smokes, i think you hurt my head with all that! maybe you should take a chill pill and see someone about that anger you've got pouring out of you!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

You can count on it....I'm not gonna back down to you Right wing fascist!! But uh...I don't play games....do you??!! Unlike Duffy Bush...Pat Buchanan..Jack Kemp...Ruuuuuush Limbaugh...Mr. V.P....Paul Wolfowitz...Donald Rumsfeld....and on and on and on and on..you know...these that talk about be'n brave and fight'n terrorist...they ran!!! THEY RAN BRIGHT BOY!!! Ran for cover in one form or another. I don't run nor hide. McBush??!!! He talks like he's some super hero...that he is not!! He wasn't the only person locked up in a POW camp buckwheat!! There were thousands during WW2 and hundreds in Vietnam. AT LEAST HE CAME HOME ALIVE!!!! I know men that didn't walk home from Vietnam. McBush is a wuss!! Are you??!!

holy cow...........you really are getting crazy! just because he walked off a plane after being a POW, he's less then a hero then someone who didn't?? Good Lord man! Did you serve? Where you a POW? I think if memory serves me right 50cal did and I think that gives him every right to his opinion. I think your getting close to being kicked off of here......buckwheat!

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Awww lonelyone--Buckwheat was my favorite of the little rascals.

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

50??? Click on your name & come get some what?? I'm confused...oh nevermind, i know what you are talking about now..

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

Lonley, hes got the same right to voice his opinion as everyone else. John McCain is NOT a war hero. Oh I'm not agreeing with texan but he is not. That is a word thrown around all to often that loses its significance when talked about so commonly. All the jackasses listed above ran for one form or another to get a waiver. Its unbelievable that I come on here say the truth that McCain is Not a republican has never pulled the republican line has worked with the demoncrats to get liberal bill after liberal bill passed and a guy who runs around hating everything, Thats right can't stand texans you hate everything, wants to fight it out because the reason you don't like McCain is because Bush won in 2000 plain and simple. now you want to threaten me then do it. I really don't give a damn about your life I really wish you could understand how little i care about human life if you want to threaten me then do it don't sit on this forum and claim your going to. DO IT

50, I'm not going to fight with you. I kow there are people who don't think McCain is a war hero, but I happen to believe that ANYONE who spends 5 years as a POW should be given that honor. I may be wrong and that's ok. I guess this whole discussion is about having the right to have an opinion even if it differs from somone elses. Only thing is, is that Can'tstand, is way over the line in forcing his beliefs onto others. We don't believe as he does.........and I'm not saying McCain is better the Oboma.........then we are stupid and he threatens people! That is just wrong on so many levels...............maybe we should start calling him Hitler??

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh i'm so sorry lonely I didn't mean any of that to sound like it was coming at you. damn I should have worded it better. A little peeved about being threatened I guess. I will put it this way: any young person who goes and decides that their country is more important than their individual life is a hero to me. I look at WAR hero as another term completely that should ONLY be used for the young people who paid that ultimate price and didn't get to come home or came home in a body bag. That is only to be used in the utmost respectfut moments when one is referring to said young person. Pat Tillman ring a bell? Young guy played football got a contract with a NFL then after 9/11 gave up the contract and joined the army to go fight the forces that attacted us. Was killed in a freindly fire accident in afganistan. That is a young war hero. please lets reserve the words for those who truely earned it.

It's ok, 50, I understand what you are saying. I too was getting pretty uptight from reading can'tstand's comments. And you make some very good points about our young men and women who are fighting now. I think McCain was a hero for that era and now we have a new set of soldiers to look at and give that honor. But don't worry 50, I still enjoy chatting on the forum with you..........did we chase Nim away with our chatting?

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

he's smoking crack with the other revolutionary mentioned above. I think we must have got serious on him and taken the fun out of him screaming at us. McCain is a hero he went to a unpopular war and fought and suffered terriably for his efforts while Bush was staying in the nat. guard, Cheney was popping out kids as fast as possible and others were running for waivers. I gave up on the republican party after they walked away from me. so silly me, texan can't even accuse me of being one but I will continue to be a free thinker and a stirrer of the pot here.

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

yes, I'd have to agree with that comment lonely---50 certainly has stirred a few pots around here.

oldsage 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Mcshame spent 20 hours in combat before he was shot down. he got one medal for every hour and a half he spent in combat. He dumped his first wife who waited for him to quickly marry Mc Cindy, the woman who's father had nefarious connections to shall we say the Italian families from the east. It was with her family money that made him the politico he is today.

His "HOTSHOT" wet start of one of the jets he was to fly one day was the cause of the loss of 134 sailors who died as a result. What a hero piece of $h*+ ! He only got as far as he did in the navy because his daddy and grandpa were both Admirals. I thank God he was shot down! I am sure it saved American lives.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

zuni rocket from an F-4 phantom caused the fire on the USS forestal please don't say that fire was a government conspirosy old sage please don't say that. the rest of what you say though thats why though I said McCain wasn't a war hero. But you have to give him credit for keeping the faith with his fellow pows.

Well crap! That just ticks me off. How is the average joe suppose to know that? You guys are lots better at digging stuff up on the net then I am, I guess. Why bring in family ties either. If your going to do that then we should have questioned how JFK got into the top spot and probably many other presidents before him, maybe even after. Have you never had some kind of connection that helped you get something you were after? But if you do want to bring family into this, then you should really be questioning Obama's! And it should scare the hell out of you.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

your right lonely, course I didn't but maybe he wasn't getting what he needed at home. who could trust any of them? I believe i'm still right on the hero thing though.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

can'tstandtexans where the hell are you? you need to help me out on the post about the moron from arkansas the one with 56 or postings

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

i thought you did pretty well all by yourself on that last one...

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

did you like that? i'm drunk so i wasn't sure it made since but what the hey lets kill em

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

yeah, im pretty much there myself...seemed appropriate.