Digging through the waiver wires this week, I found some pitchers who are worthy of a spot on your roster and some batters who have been crushing the ball as of late.
• Ricky Nolasco, starting pitcher, Florida Marlins - With a 3.21 ERA and four wins in the last month, it might be time to pick this guy up off the waivers. On the season, he has won eight starts and lost just four to go along with 67 strikeouts and only 29 walks.
• Manny Para, starting pitcher/relief pitcher, Milwaukee Brewers - After lowering his ERA almost two whole points in his past 10 games, I think he deserves some props. In the past month, he has five wins to go along with a very good 2.59 ERA. For the season, he has a 3.95 ERA and an 8-2 record.
• Kevin Slowey, starting pitcher, Minnesota Twins - This past Sunday, Slowey pitched a three-hit, complete-game shutout, the first of his career. In his past 29 innings he has posted a microscopic 0.93 ERA and a 0.72 WHIP. Slowey is owned in less than five percent of Yahoo leagues and it is possible that he could finish the season with an ERA well under 4.00 and a very good WHIP.
• Russell Branyon, third base/outfield, Milwaukee Brewers - Since starting his season May 25, Branyon has hit 11 home runs, drove in 18 RBIs, scored 15 runs and has a respectable .279 batting average. Branyon is an excellent pick up in all leagues and should be picked up as soon as possible.
• Willy Taveras, outfield, Colorado Rockies - If you're looking for help in the steals department, then Taveras is the man you look for on the waiver wire. He's not going to hit you many home runs, or get you a lot of RBIs, but you can bet he will get you a ton of steals - 16 in the past month.
• Luke Scott, outfield, Baltimore Orioles - With a stellar month of June behind him, in which he hit .342 with eight home runs, 13 RBIs and 19 runs scored, the future looks bright for Scott. If you have a deficiency in your outfield, now's the time to pull him off the waiver wire.
To reach Craig resident and Fantasy Fix columnist Chris Gingrich, email him at email@example.com.