Susan Higgs: Decrease adoption fee at animal shelter

I recently read there was a fundraiser for the animal shelter.

One of the expenses earmarked for the money raised was to provide transportation for unadopted animals to larger facilities. I have had my eye on an older gray and white male cat named Charlie who has been featured in the shelter's ads. I went to the shelter, met and fell in love with this scruffy old tom and was eager to take him home. I was shocked to find out the adoption fee for this cat was $90!! I am a single mom who also provides partial support to my elderly mother. $90 just isn't in the budget for the acquisition of a pet. My suggestion is to lower the adoption fee or even give him away free and save the cost of transporting him elsewhere. With the exorbitant cost of gas today, it must cost a lot to relocate these animals. In the same ad, they also offer free cat and dog food to those in need. Well, I don't need help to feed him, I just don't have $90 to spring him. Sorry, Charlie, I'll miss you.

Susan Higgs

Comments

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

go to the classifieds go to merchandice then go to freebies theres a cat being given away

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

Csualum-what exactly would you call your post if it's not an ignorant opinion?? A little contradictive if you ask me. I am a regular on this forum and I'm sure some of the other regulars would agree that 50cal's posts are far from ignorant. As a matter of fact, 50cal has some of the most knowledgeable statements out there. Why don't you read back a while before you make your ignorant opinion? And as for the typing skills comment; why don't you look at word "clever", did you see it? I'm sure people that post on here aren't really worried about their typos, it's a forum-not an English class.

bearscout 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks a lot 50cal for encouraging people to acquire free pets. Such a thoughtless comment. Try to see the big picture. An animal acquired from a shelter is altered and will never contribute to the pet overpopulation problem. It is given vaccines against common disease that protect the public and the health of the animal.
People that allow the thoughtless breeding of their animals create the need for an animal shelter, animal control and humane organizations in the first place. Pet overpopulation is a huge problem in our country and in our own community. When there are more pets than there are homes for them to go to, there is a problem. People that acquire a free pet from an ad, or in front of a store, or the back of a truck are less likely to have this animal altered and pay for vaccinations. I personally hope that this woman does not seek and acquire a free pet. If she cannot afford the adoption fee, she cannot afford to care for an animal. Pets need more than love, food and water. Often times their medical care is very costly. People are the caretakers of domestic animals and should take this responsibility seriously. If you can't afford a pet, do everyone a favor and recognize this fact and resist the urge to acquire one.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

oh but wait heres a news flash maybe you should have went and looked it up before you opened your big mouth! thats right it is already nuetered!!! surprise surprise. the pound in steamboat is full, the people are leaving town and can't take it with them. It comes with all accesories. So before I teabag you again look it up just like i told you to and see that a loving family might be better than someone turning it loose to become feral.

bearscout 6 years, 5 months ago

Great, she can love the pet all she wants, but can't take care of it.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

Ok pet nazi I guess until we all meet your specs we don't geta pet maybe you know her I don't. I think she didn't want to pay that much for a cat. Of coarde your probably right. That cat would be better if we just turned it loose. Pet nazi.

csualum 6 years, 5 months ago

50cal - hope you are proud of the fact that you and the other regulars on the forum have exacted the end of this public discourse (per this weeks editorial). What on earth are you going to do with yourself when you have no private venue to spew your ignorant opinions. I imagine you think you are quite cleve. I think not. I'm with 'pet nazi'...we need more responsible pet owners...not people that turn them loose, as you suggest. What is the matter with people being sensible when it comes to pets, children or other serious responsibilites in life? Do tell! Why don't you have another cocktail, maybe your typing will improve!

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow do you know this lady? Who are you to decide what she can afford. Maybe she doesn't want to budget ninety dollars in for the adoption fee. Next if single mothers can't afford their kids we'll stick an ice pick in their brain as their born right? Excuse me LORD bearscat. I thought when tjhe freebie said that the shelter was full and the people were moving and couldn't take the cat with them that someone who wanted one should step in. Or would you rather have cats running wild?

redneckgirl 6 years, 5 months ago

One last comment I wanted to make to those of you that think we all just have ignorant opinions on here. Go back to the reader forums, under open thread and read the post under "God Bless America" that 50 wrote:then please do tell me how you find that ignorant, I'd really like to know.

AltitudeAdjustment 6 years, 5 months ago

It is interesting how anyone who does not agree with another's point of view or opinion is so quickly labeled as "Ignorant." I have read some great posts on this forum both for and against various topics. In most cases people on this forum are very polarized in their opinions. Usually though when logic is applied their is some level of middle ground that both sides find and that is where we see common sense show its seldom seen face. Almost too often though we mistake passion for logic and will beat that horse even after it's dead. Just because you like it or think it is neat doesn't mean it's good or right. I think we can all learn to apply a little logic and common sense to our arguments before we stroke the keys, but also try to consider the other guys point of view. Don't necessarily open your self up for suggestions, but at least weigh it before you throw it back.

50cal 6 years, 5 months ago

well I am one of the regulars and I am the reason for the editorial and your this weeks huh?

I won't need to defend myself here. What I will do is defend the lady wanting to get a pet. Who the hell are you to tell her that because she is a single mother with two kids on a limited income that shes not responsable enough to own a cat? You and bear scout live in pineridge? She sounds pretty responsable to me. Lets see, she raises two kids by herself, she holds down a job, she knows that ninty dollars is not budgeted into her account for a cat. Yep your right shes soooo irresponsable. what makes her irresponsable in your eyes? couldn't keep a man around? dousn't make enough money for you? So, I know some people who don't meet your requirments for pet ownership. They wait until the shot clinics come around and then get their vaccinations done they waited until the H.S. had free or reduced spaying and nueturing and went and got it done. Again these people acted sooo irresponsible. For you to suggest that this lady is irresponsible because I suggest to her that there is a free already nuetured cat show what a couple of arogant asses you are. Two weeks ago some poor woman wrote a letter to the editor very saddened because she had to put down her cat because of all the feral cats spraying outside her house. Once again I will ask you to look at the advertisement and read that the animal shelter in steamboat is full won't take the cat and the people are moving and can't take the cat. that means what? That cat will probably be turned loose to cause problems for other households instead of being with a woman who could teach her kids the responsability of pet ownership and maybe give the animal a loving home. So much for my ignorance.

irishbrat 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a few dogs that would take care of all those feral cats.