Police blotter for Jan. 8

Moffat County Jail

No reports.

Moffat County

Sheriff's Office

Sunday, Jan. 6

Deputies responded to a report of an injured animal.

Deputies responded to a request to assist another agency.

Deputies responded to two reports of a suspicious person.

Deputies responded to a report of an abandoned vehicle.

Craig Police Department

Friday, Jan. 4

Officers responded to a request to assist a resident.

Officers issued a citation for driving under the influence.

Officers responded to three requests to assist another agency.

Officers responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle.

Officers responded to a civil problem.

Officers responded to two parking complaints.

Officers responded to four animal complaints.

Officers responded to a report of theft.

Officers responded to a report of an injured animal.

Officers responded to two reports of trespassing.

Officers responded to a report of harassment.

Officers responded to a hit-and-run accident.

Officers responded to a report of domestic violence.

Officers responded to a noise complaint.

Officers responded to a report of a disturbance in progress.

Saturday, Jan. 5

Officers responded to four reports of a disturbance in progress.

Officers responded to a report of a drunk pedestrian.

Officers responded to two requests to assist another agency.

Officers responded to two civil problems.

Officers responded to two reports of harassment.

Officers responded to two animal complaints.

Officers responded to a report of a suspicious person.

Officers responded to two requests to assist a resident.

Officers responded to two requests to assist a motorist.

Officers responded to a parking complaint.

Officers responded to a report of property damage.

Sunday, Jan. 6

Officers responded to a civil problem.

Officers responded to two reports of a drunk pedestrian.

Officers responded to a report of a suspicious person.

Officers responded to a parking complaint.

Officers responded to three requests to assist another agency.

Officers responded to five requests to assist a resident.

Officers responded to a report of a hit-and-run accident.

Officers responded to a report of property damage.

Officers responded to two requests to assist a motorist.

Officers responded to a traffic complaint.

Officers responded to an animal complaint.

Officers responded to a report of vandalism.

Officers responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle.

Craig Fire/Rescue

Saturday, Jan. 5

Firefighters responded to a report of chest pains.

Firefighters responded to a false alarm.

Anyone who witnesses or has information about a crime is to call Moffat County Crime Stoppers at 824-3535. The phone line does not have caller identification. All callers remain anonymous and could be eligible for a cash reward.

Comments

4real 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it's about time the Daily Press stopped putting names in the arrest reports. I am as guilty as most about reading the blotter just to see who got arrested, however I recently realized that we automatically convicted these people when we saw their name & what they were arrested for. This is completely unfair to these potentially innocent people. I commend the Daily Press for this change and look forward to other improvements within the paper.

I for one don't see anything wrong with the names going in the paper of those arrested for different reasons. If you behave yourself and don't get in trouble then you've nothing to worry about. I do understand that at times there could be a misunderstand or wrong information given that could lead to a persons arrest and in those cases I think it would be a very good idea for the paper to print something that says it was a mistake and that the arresting agency screwed up. I don't know exactly how they'd go about this but it seems to be only fair to me. I for one hope they continue with this practice.

4real 6 years, 3 months ago

First off I want to state that I am a law abiding citizien or as you say 'I behave' myselt so that I don't get arrested, however I have known people that I know have for various reasons. The people that have a 'big' name in the community are somehow not listed on these reports. This reason alone is 80% why I feel this way. If the paper was capable of reporting correctly at least 90% of the time & the Craig Police Department along with the DA's office did their jobs I would agree with the suggestion of a retraction for wrongful arrests.
For the REAL Criminals that are a danger to our communities why not write articles; not just regarding the arrests but actaully follow through to the conviction or retraction if the charges were determined unfounded. Doesn't that give us all a better knowledge of what is happening around us; not to mention we will acually see what, if anything these arrests lead to.

PJ Howe 6 years, 3 months ago

I think its just fine to print the names of those arrested. The fact of being arrested does not constitute guilt, that is for the courts to decide. The presumption of innocence until proven guilty is only a responsibility of the government. The press and the people can assume or conclude anything they want about a certain person's actions, regardless of the outcome of a trail. Knowing the names of those recently arrested could help in hiring or other business/personal decisions. Remember, to make an arrest, the officer or department must have probable cause, but even if that "evidence" is incorrect, it is usually a mistake that is made by the arrested person's association with a guilty party.

jraehal 6 years, 3 months ago

Greetings, I would like to thank everyone for his or her comments on the blotter. At every paper I've been associated with, the blotter is always a section that creates debate. There also are some critical comments about the Daily Press on these posts, which I always encourage. It helps us get better. However, there is one allegation that I take issue with: That the Daily Press does not print the names in the blotter of prominent people who have been arrested and taken to the jail . This is an absolute falsehood. In the year I've been here, every name that is given to us, we report. Period. If you believe there is a prominent person who has been arrested and taken to jail and not been in the blotter, email me at editor@craigdailypress.com so the paper can investigate as to why this information is missing. I encourage you not to post their names on the Web site, as it could lead to libel charges against you and the newspaper if the allegations are false. Again, thank you for your comments. Always feel free to call or email me your thoughts or suggestions for improvement.

Jerry Raehal Editor of the Craig Daily Press

JDR 6 years, 3 months ago

QUOTE""The press and the people can assume or conclude anything they want about a certain person's actions, regardless of the outcome of a trail."""QUOTE

You are absolutely 100 percent wrong my friend. A news media service CANNOT be the judge and jury in any situation. Its called being held LIABLE, or Defamation. Until proven guilty EVERYONE, i MEAN EVERYONE IS AN "ALLEGED" to commit the crime.

This is America people, and though it doesnt seem so, and sometimes we got a messed up way of showing it but its..... Innocent until proven guilty. Its the American way. Dont like it, Head to Saudi Arabia.

The police arrests are a matter of public record and are being done as a service to the people of craig. If you want to know more about a case or an arrest. IT IS YOUR DUTY to do the legwork and march down to the county court and get the info on the arrest and charges for yourself. It may seem sad to you, but the open information act is part of what makes this country as great and free as it is.

I think ive seen the highest of highest regarded in our community that break the law in craig, listed in this blotter. Its fair, and sadly its life. Deal with it. Or lobby to change it with congress.