Mary Jo Brown: Keep Christ in holiday

It's depressing to see how some people leave Christ out of Christmas.

That's not how it's meant to be, for Christ is the meaning/reason for Christmas.

After all, it's his birthday, you see.

Yes, presents, Christmas trees, stockings, treats and Santa all add up to a holiday that wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a babe born in Bethlehem, where he lay on a star-lit night in a hayfield manger, wrapped in swaddling cloth.

He presented quite a sight to the shepherds and wise men who came to see him. That's where the star led them. That was the first Christmas.

Our Christmas is a continuation of that special night. Keep Christ in Christmas, don't leave him out.

It's his birthday. Yep, that's what Christmas is all about.

Happy birthday, Jesus, from us all.

Merry Christmas.

Mary Jo Brown

Comments

cantstandtexans 5 years, 4 months ago

From all of us?! The Celebration of the Winter Solstice came to be from pagan Roman Beliefs. True Christian beliefs were tainted by a political move by Constantine of Rome and subsequent empowerment by a central political religious(?) body....The Church of Rome.

Please don't reference everyone that knows facts about this time of the year as telling Jesus Happy Birthday. The Apostle's believed three things...the Death...Burial...Resurrection of "Their One and Only God Jesus" They worshipped no other god or gods. That is what the Early Called Out Ones celebrated...and certainly not in December. It's really cold there this time of year and not many people traveled during the winter months (The Wise Men!!)...and nobody laid out under the stars during December Tending a flock of sheep. Again...it's cold over there in December. And Jesus wasn't born in a barn...he was born in a hand carved impression in the side of a hill and the manger was a pile of rocks in the far inside wall of this man made cave!! Not very glamorous wouldn't you agree?

Now if you want to say that people enjoy the time for family, friends, reflection and great food...so be it. But the Reason for the Season really was not something the Early Called Out One's and certainly not the Apostle's would have engaged in. I have not found any reference whatsoever that The Called Out Ones ever celebrated the Birth of their God Jesus. But do as you will....I don't dislike December 25th....I like spending the time looking back on the year hoping for a better coming year and enjoying the prospects of a nice piece of pecan

I had someone today say...Well...if you don't celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th....then when? He was adamant that HE choose the 25th as the DAY!! BALONEY!!! He's locked into a tradition that isn't even Bible. And he believes that December 25th is very appropriate to celebrate the Birth. As I would tell anyone...investigate history. Investigate where this tradition started and by whom! And the Roman pagan beliefs grafted into Christian beliefs at that time. You WILL come away with a very different view of December 25th.

Celebrate the Death...Burial...and Resurrection of the One and Only True Living God...Jesus. The Apostle's did this and this only!!

Have a great holiday people...I assure you I will!! And please do not think I'm pickiing on anyone. But it realy isn't the Reason for the Season.

CindyLou 5 years, 4 months ago

I like to think that Christmas is as much an American holiday as it is a Christian holiday. The traditions of our country are about family, friends, giving, and the celbration of life. I think it perfectly fine that a person can celebrate the Christmas holiday without being Christian, because it is an American holiday.

If I were in Israel I would probably join in in the celebration of Hanuka, not because I am jewish, but because that is the tradition of the people of that country. Likewise if I were in China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, or Nigeria, I would participate with the people of those countries in celbration of their most treasured traditions and holidays. I think this is where the saying "when in Rome" came from.

CST is right in saying that most of what we do during the Christmas season stems from pagan ritual, but that isn't any front page news. All traditions come from a past history or else it wouldn't be a tradition. Who cares if what we do comes from the Druids, the Egyptians, or other pagan groups. Enjoy this time of year as we prepare for a new year, spend time with loved ones, and give gifts to our fellow man. And if you feel like going to church and being extra good because your afraid of an eternity in a lake of fire or just afraid that Santa won't bring you anything, that is fine too!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

CindyLou 5 years, 3 months ago

ALS - I have a lot of faith and I exercise it regularly, but I also believe God is a God of logic and reason. He doesn't just do crap willy-nilly like for no reason. It sounds though like your exercise a different kind of faith than I do, and I wouldn't call it blind faith either, I would call it ignorant faith. I guess what they say is tru "Ignorance is Bliss!"

Remember that Religion (that is what he have today) is man made. The Bible, although an inspired book, was written by man. It was also written by God, Satan, and even a donkey got a couple of words in edge wise. Heck most of Psalms in the KJV was written by English poets. God didn't institute a single Holy Day except the Sabath-Day in which he said keep my sabath day holy. Heck he doesn't even care if you observe it on Sunday, Saturday or Wednesday. Pick a day and keep it holy, because man invented tha calendar and we've had quite a few calendars to pick from over the last 4,000 years.

The fact that modern religions' use of crosses and statutes and symbols and signs and all that other crud is so much bull crap it isn't funny. The fact that there are hundreds of christian faiths who all think they have the market cornered on what's right and what's wrong is a testiment to the fact that 99% of modern religious worship is a bunch of bunk.

Your posts are so void of any logic, common sense, or a shred of knowledge of history (even of the fatith you profess to believe), we are all now dumber for having read them.

als362 5 years, 4 months ago

Christmas is only called Christmas because of the person that it is celebrated for. Christmas means "Christs Message", and Christs message to us is the birth of his son Jesus. As the verse says, "For unto you is born this day, in the city of David, a Savior which is Christ the Lord. And you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, and lying in a manger." These are facts.

This is the only true meaning of Christmas and the only reason the day was celebrated to begin with. It has nothing to do with pagans or the winter solstice. And it certainly was not invented by any American, or the US government.

Cindylou and cantstandtexans are absolutely wrong, and Mary Jo Brown is correct. No one will ever convince me of anything different.

Allen Hischke

grannyrett 5 years, 4 months ago

You are absolutly right Allen. It doesn't matter the day. December 25, or whatever day he was born. What matters is that we celebrate the birth of the Christ child. Merry Christmas everyone.

2KG 5 years, 4 months ago

I'll bet CST is a hoot to party with! I suppose there's no such thing as Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny!

cantstandtexans 5 years, 4 months ago

Well...it does make a difference if you claim to be Christian but help celebrate the Winter Solstice. But I actually really do not care what someone does on Christmas.....if you reread my comment...you'll find that I said do as you like. It's just not true that Christmas was derived from the Apostle's nor the message they preached and believed in. Which is the Death...the Burial....and the Resurrection of God Almighty that was robed in a human body. There is no such thing as God the Father...God the Son...and God the Holy Spirit.

This is no time to start a controversy here on this comment section....but als362...if you want to quote scriptures....why not quote what the Jews were vehement about...Hear Oh Israel...The Lord Your God is ONE LORD!! Get away from the Old English traditional bible and study out this scripture in original Hebrew-Greek words...you'll find that this scripture means that there is only one God....and Jews would never ever worship any other god but the God of Abraham/Isaac and Jacob. The Apostle's walked with this God although they could not grasp the concept of THE MAN JESUS and even ask Jesus privately to show them (The soon to be Apostle's)...GOD!! What was the reply from Jesus? Basically he told them...Hey...I been with you all this time and you still don't know? I am HE!! Smack dab referring himself to God Almighty!! The revelation of who Jesus really was came apparent to the Apostle's and approximately 108 other people on that eventful day called "Feast of the First Fruits....up in that upper room...The Day of Pentecost. Then they knew after the Spirit of Jesus came and dwelt within the physical bodies of those believers...and then they took that message and delivered it to the masses assembled in Jerusalem for the Feast. What was the message? The Death....Burial...and the resurrection of God Almighty Jesus.

So als362...grannyrett...enjoy your beliefs...but December 25th is just another day. To say that you "MUST" keep the Christ in Christmas isn't something that should be harped on nor stressed. Please understand...I'm not slamming nor putting you down....you need to understand that there are those that know the difference. I do not celebrate Xmas..Christmas...but it's your choice to do so. So be it. Simple.

By the way...you two do know how the Apostle's baptised new believers....yes...no....? And that name pronounced over new believers has never changed...except by man.

Have a pleasant December 25th people....I will. And enjoy the food (I hope so anyways!) and friends.

Peace

als362 5 years, 4 months ago

There is only one thing that cannot be disputed. The name of the day is CHRISTmas. There is also only one place where that name was used before, ths son of God, Christ the Lord.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 4 months ago

als362.....the Apostle's were not polytheistic...they were Jews....Jews will not worship any other gods except Yahweh....of course...honest Jews would never even attempt to call Yahweh's name for fear of not pronouncing "That Name". The Scibes would place the leters YHWH for the name of Eloah/Eloheim/El...Jehovah is a man made name of God and was invented I believe in the 11th century. Theos in Greek translates into God in English. If you take the word Lord in and go back to Greek....it translates into "Supreme in Authority"...Kurios....and not to the lower term of ruler or master. Hence "The Lord God or Kurios Theos.

There's only one thing you need to understand als362.....the APOSTLE'S PREACHED WHAT?! His BIRTH....DEATH....BURIAL AND RESURRECTION????!!!!! Or was it the latter three things??!! Why are you so hung up on the CHRISTmas gig??...???...!!!! If you feel more secure in your religion to place a birth over the act of redemption...then by all means.....indulge yourself. But the Apostle's did not worship the birth of THEIR God Jesus!!! That's a simple historical fact.

You need to come to a understanding that there is no such thing as a trinity....it wasn't preached by the early "Called Out Ones" nor were any early converts to the Apostolic faith ever baptised into the name of the Father...Son...Holy Ghost. They were baptised into a name that enacted a type of burial for a new believer....that was into the name of Jesus Christ. If you are so adamant about worshipping Jesus on December 25th and you believe that this is a must....have you then been baptised into the name of Jesus...because you continue to say he is the Lord of lords and the King of kings......and if you worship His birth.....again....have you taken His name in baptism?

Fair enough question? But bare in mind...the incorporation of Roman pagan beliefs and a back sliding Apostolic movement of the third century brought about the formation...thanks to Constantine of Rome....of the Roman Catholic Church. That's history als362....look it up....I would never attempt to make up such a thing. But believe what you will...it will not change the facts.

So...enjoy your Christmas celebration....I'll enjoy my day off and relaxing by the fire and my cooking....yes...I cook a rather excellent turkey. But please...do not try and suggest that it's a blasphemy to not recognize December 25th as the birth of Jesus....it's the Winter Solstice celebration the Romans worshipped....remember Constantine's political ploy!!!

als362 5 years, 3 months ago

cantstandtexans has no more idea what he/she/it is talking about than the man in the moon.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 3 months ago

It's apparent als362.....that you have No clue as to the Apostle's doctrine or what they preached, nor what the true plan of salvation really is!! It's not as simple as just accept the Lord and that's it!! Not even close!

So...assuming that you have limited biblical knowledge (Which that appears to be the case) and that you have no understanding of historical events that have led so many people to have assumptions and notions that have no biblical basis in today's society...I suggest you take up the study of Koine Greek...you know...the language the New Testament was written in...and a further intense study of the progression of the "Called Out Ones" (There was no such word of Church at the beginning of the Christian faith...hence...they referred to themselves as being "Called Out") and the slipping away from the doctrine the Apostle's preached. Therefore als362...this is why you had letters written to various people or groups of believers to instructed them about maintaining "The Faith that was delivered to Them" as it was said, because even at the end of the remaining "Eye Witnesses" to the events that made the basis of the Apostolic faith...there was a back sliding taking place even back then!!

Now ...You seem to be stuck in the notion that "It's Christmas" so everyone had better start getting all choked up about Jesus's birthday or you're going straight to Hell, etc, etc, etc. THERE IS NO..REPEAT..NO BIBLICAL BASIS FOR THE YEARLY FESTIVATIES THAT FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE WANT TO VEHEMANTLY SCREAM THAT EVERYONE HAD BETTER RESPECT AND PARTICIPATE IN A BIG BIRTHDAY BASH FOR JESUS OR YOU'RE A REPORBATE HEATHEN AND DESTINED FOR HELL BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS!!

And you're showing your true self by calling me HE/SHE/IT....Nice try....but your argument is baseless. And your slander proves to me you have no idea how to be saved according to the Apostolic faith.

Well?!

Slander doesn't cut it als362...I feel sorry for you actually. Have a swell day!

als362 5 years, 3 months ago

I do not recall slandering anyone or anything. I do recall stating some facts though.

cantstandtexans 5 years, 3 months ago

Well als362.....unfortunately for you....you need to reread your next to last comment. What you have thought if I called you HE/SHE/IT...??? And besides....WHAT FACTS???!!! You presented nothing.....what facts did you post??!! That the reason Christmas was invented was because Jesus was born?....?? You're serious?

If you say that Jesus was born....O.K.....if you mean that he was warped in a crude blanket....O.K....Jesus was born in Bethlehem?....Who's saying he wasn't? The subject was "Keep the Christ in Christmas.....was it not?! But again...you're trying to tie the birth of Jesus to a day that was recognized as a celebration of the Winter Solstice in Roman paganism. That is a fact! The early believers did not celebrate the birth of Jesus...that's a fact. The Apostolic faith is not what it was today...mostly. The back sliding early church was further corrupted by the incorporation of these Roman beliefs by a shred political move by Constantine....that is a fact and those corrupted beliefs of the Church of Rome continues to this day.

I'll ask again....what facts did you present in your comments that supports the celebration of the birth of Jesus as a must do for believers?....?? But be careful...because if the "Birth" was vital for Christians of the early beginnings....then why didn't Jesus demand his Apostle's to not only preach and teach "HIS" death...burial...and resurrection....but his birth as well? I'll agree that the incarnation of the God of Abraham-Isaac and Jacob into human flesh was and is a spectacular event, to understand that the God who created all things would stoop and become like man...in that sinful nature.....but the birth was recorded as a reference for believers that came well after the birth of the Apostolic faith on the Day of Pentecost. But it was for reference and history...not to be placed ahead of the real reasons for "The Birth"!

I honestly do not care if someone celebrates Christmas as a religious holiday...but to hear someone say that it's a neccessity....well.....they are erronous and wrong.

I ask you again...if you believe in Jesus...and it appears you do...then did you take on "HIS" name in baptism? Remember....as He said...."If you believe in me....keep my commandments" But Jesus also stressed to the soon to be Apostle's, that the world would believe in "HIM" thru the words of the APOSTLE'S!! And what was that message that was opened on the Day of Pentecost?

Waiting...............

taxslave 5 years, 3 months ago

hey canstandtexans

I'm baptised in "Jesus Name"....also filled with Holy Ghost with evidence.....you?

cantstandtexans 5 years, 3 months ago

Well taxslave.....check back in tomorrow and I'll take the time to tell you all about it.

I have to hit the bed...gotta work tomorrow and I'm really not looking forward to it. Workdays after a holiday during the week spells "Fires to put out"!! Always...but....looking at it another way...I fortunately get paid for 80% of what I know...and 20% actual work.....less if you count the drive time. Really....I drive most times 80% or more during the work day and roughly 10% work! HAHAHA.....yeah....I like my job. Except when the roads get really nasty with ice and packed snow....then...I try to stay close to home. But as always...the best laid plans go haywire and down the road I go!!

Anyways....I'll say more tomorrow.

Peace

als362 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't need facts. I have faith. Only those without faith need facts! It appears that cantstandtexans needs alot of facts.

Lawspecialist 5 years, 3 months ago

Way to go Craig. Fighting over religion just like the dark one would have it. I will pray for those of you who mis-quote. For those of you who don't believe, I will pray for you as well, for God has comanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves; least we forget that he tells us man will not live by bread alone but by every word out of the mouth of God (not once but three times). We all need to take "heed", myself included. (Deuteronomy 8: 2-3, Matthew 4:4, Luke 4:4)

grannyrett 5 years, 3 months ago

There sure isn't any Christmas spirit on this topic. It's so sad when people will argue over something as simple as this. While you are hammering on each other, please, remember what this holiday is about. God doesn't care about your petty squabbles. He just cares that you believe. Merry Christmas, yesterday, today and everyday. And if you don't believe, well, Merry Christmas to you too.

freeman 5 years, 3 months ago

and a very happy new year,,,,,people need to learn to let somethings go,,,look ahead and be HAPPY

I think we need to have a forum frenzy for many of these comments. I will say forum frenzy times three and then you, who need to, should smack yourselves in the forehead!!! ;o) happy new year to you all.