Girls basketball loses tight game, 42-40, to Mountain Vista

The Moffat County High school girls basketball team captured second-place in its four-team pool Thursday, despite a 42-40 loss to Mountain Vista.

The Bulldogs (2-4 overall, 0-0 Western Slope League - 4A) clinched the second spot in Pool A of the eight-team Grandview Girls High School Basketball Tournament in Aurora, by virtue of a head-to-head victory against Rangeview.

"We kind of backed our way in," Bulldogs coach Craig Mortensen said, "but hey, we still have a game (today)."

On Thursday night, the Bulldogs and Golden Eagles (6-0 overall, 0-0 Continental League - 5A) battled through 48 minutes of intense basketball as neither team held a lead of more than four points.

"I feel like we should have won," Mortensen said. "We had good looks and good shots, they just didn't drop. It was a really close game though, throughout."

Moffat County tied the game at 40 with 20 seconds remaining in regulation, but, with seven seconds remaining, Mountain Vista drained what would prove to be the game-winning bucket.

"We got a shot off there at the end," Mortensen said. "It just didn't go in. Sometimes things just happen that way."

Despite the Bulldogs' 1-2 record in the tournament, Mortensen said he is pleased with the way his team is responding.

Moffat County is the lone 4A team participating in an event dominated by 5A schools.

"We're learning what it is that we have to do better," he said. "We're right there with those bigger teams and giving them a fight."

The Bulldogs aren't done fighting just yet.

Moffat County plays Arvada West (2-2 overall, 0-0 Jefferson County League - 5A) at 6 tonight.

John Vandelinder can be reached at 875-1793 or jvandelinder@craigdailypress.com

Comments

playfair08 6 years ago

So a two point lose and he is not mad? looks like he lost another close game, maybe he should learn how to finish close games and the teams record could be a lot better, and teams could have gone farther in tournaments. Its ok though, they were all probably games 'we should have won' but obivously didn't. It does sound the girls are playing good, but the coach just isn't coaching good!

Globe 6 years ago

Playfiar08 -

Thank you for your posts! I find your comments very informative and your knowledge on the subject both stimulating and inciteful. Can you tell me how I go about subscribing to your news letter?

I was also wondering if I could challenge you to a game of one-on-one down at the park on Saturday. How does noon sound? I will spot you 10 points and we will play to 20. Deal?

On a lighter side I was wondering what year your highschool team won the state championship? and where you played college ball? Did you ever have trading cards made up with you in your uniform? Can you scan it into your computer and post it on the internet? That would be great.

While I am sure you have your own copy of most basket ball movies, I would suggest you go out and rent the movie Hoosiers (1986) or One On One (1977). I don't know what your take is on the subject, but I find that when you are trying to get things moving with a new Varsity squad it sometimes takes a few weeks to get all of the pistons firing at once. Sure a one point loss is still a loss, but it tells you that things are in the neighborhood of where they should be and just minor adjustments need to be made. Sure they were blown out in tournament play the other day, but that even happened to the Celtics last year. I bet the team you coach wouldn't have lost by that much though.

Thanks again for you input - Keep on keeping on!

playfair08 6 years ago

Globe Sorry I don't have a newspaper that you can subcribe to! If I did, it would be all about horrible coaches that waste a lot of talent and never will win a statechampionship. I also didn't play college basketball and obviously didn't make it to the pros. But I am sure you didn't either,as very little athletes make it out of Moffat County to play a college sport! Anyways why would you stick up for a man who has wsated so so much talent and will never win a statechampionship? If he didn;t win it a few years ago then he NEVER will!. Get over it. And I know that I do not and will never coach, but if i did i would put every girls talent to use! umm like all coaches should! duh. And are you saying that he will do good this year no matter what the talent he has? just because he is a good coach? No!

swoosh123 6 years ago

I know people might not always agree with mort's coaching, but he is a GOOD caoch and he cares about the game and his players. No we haven't won a statechampionship, but he has sent girls to college for basketball...thats not wasting talent i dont think.

freeman 6 years ago

HOW ABOUT A GAME OF POOL,,,,9 BALL,8 BALL ANY TAKERS

calvinhobbs 6 years ago

The girls played in a 5A tourney, MCHS has an enrollment of 650 kids to choose from, we are one of the SMALLEST 4 A Schools, playing some of the largest 5A. Grandview, Mountain Vista, Range View and Arvada West all have enrollments of OVER 1500 students. WIth open school boundaries, kids can CHOOSE what school they play ball at. MCHS plays with what they have, MCHS has one ex player in a D 1(northern CO) program, 2 currently in D 2 programs(Mines and Adams), 2 in JuCO programs(CNCC), plus one that has just graduated from Adams state that had a great career down there. I would say that is pretty succesful. Sure no state Championships, but I do not see any for boys basketball, football, volleyball, soccer, baseball, or track. Just cross country and wrestling. According to playfair, the only way to be succesful is to win a state championship, what about the education, the friendships, the work ethic and most important, the FUN the kids have. There is my 2 cents

fed_up 5 years, 12 months ago

Once again, playfair is commmenting on something he knows nothing about. Without Mortensen's coaching and connections (Adams State), MCHS probably would never have sent any girls to the next level. MCHS has never had immense talent - a few years ago he had height and that's it - so the fact he is approaching 500 career wins, and is a lock for the high school hall of fame, is a testiment to how good he is. Just ask anybody who's played for, or against, him. Losing to schools with more than 2,000 students this season is nothing to be ashamed of. The team isn't overflowing with talent, but wait and see. When they win their next 12-15 in a row and claim another league championship, what will you have to gripe about then? You'll probably say there's too much girls basketball in the paper. Forget playing fair, playfair. Play smart.