Ray Cartwright: Paying gas at Craig prices

I heard on KRAI where Ken Brenner has come out asking about the major differences in the gas prices between the towns in the valley.

I seem to remember in the past several investigations that stated that there was no price fixing or gouging going on in the valley. Good for Mr. Brenner for asking the question, but I wonder why this hasn't been happening long before now?

There might not be any way to prove any such thing, but shame on the local gas outlets for taking advantage of the working person who has to get out to the oil fields, mines, or the power plant.

Maybe a big sign on the south and west side of town beside the welcome to Craig sign there should be a notice big enough to read from the highway.

"Gas is cheaper in Steamboat Springs or Baggs." A sign also could be placed on the Craig side of Steamboat Springs and Baggs, Wyo., saying "Last chance for gas before you have to pay Craig prices."

Ray Cartwright

Comments

mfbbf 6 years, 4 months ago

There have been investigations into this by the media, and they've always hit road blocks. Corporate offices have gotten good at giving the run-around. The most common (not to mention laughable) answer usually given is "the cost is justified by the distance the trucks have to drive to deliver it." But when gas is consistently 10 cents a gallon less in Hayden, and up to 30 cents a gallon less in Steamboat, one has to wonder if they're burning rocket fuel between here and there. It's frustrating when WE know the wool's being pulled over our eyes, THEY KNOW WE KNOW, and yet we're powerless to do anything about it. Good luck Ken. I hope you get a believable answer.

freeman 6 years, 4 months ago

i purchased gas in grand jct on aug 15...........3.53 a gallon for mid grade

rhammel 6 years, 4 months ago

I just wait until I have to go to Steamboat and then gas up there. I try not to buy gas in Craig. If gas prices ever get to be about $0.10 difference, I will start to buy gas here in Craig. But as of last weekend it was $0.14 difference.

rh

GlacierDragon 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I don't get far enough into Steamboat to get to a gas station usually, but I always fill up in Hayden on the way back. I agree with the Rocket Fuel comment. It is not that far between here and Steamboat.

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

This last weekend, I was in Junction, I paid $3.72 for low grade, I guess I was in the wrong part of town, but thats the cheapest I saw it anyplace on the main roads. I bet most of the gas in Hayden has come through Craig, and maybe even the gas to Steamboat. Used to be that most of the gas going towards Grand Junction came through Craig also. So what gives? Alot of the gas comes from Sinlair, Wyoming, heading South, so how does it get cheaper from here?

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Our gas used to come out of Grand Junction. Do you know if it still does 50? It would come through Craig to Hayden and on to Steamboat. Heck, it used to be cheaper in Leadville than it was in Craig. Explain that.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

trevco was bringing gas in on rail car. I think they are hauling it by truck again. fleshlie still gets it out of rawlins. the rest comes by way of grondyke or solar out of denver.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Solar used to haul it out of Grand Junction. Did they close that down?

freeman 6 years, 4 months ago

going west into jct,gettihg off on horizon drive ,turn left going down 3 lights,safeway gas station on right had mid grade at 3.73 and with the safeway card you get additional .20 off per gallon