Tony Maneotis, left, and Craig Mayor Don Jones show their Broncos pride Tuesday. Jones and Maneotis helped Craig win the title of the Denver Broncos' biggest fans. Craig was chosen to host a celebration complete with Broncos cheerleaders, alumni and Super Bowl trophies.

Photo by Hans Hallgren

Craig picked by Broncos as biggest fans

If you wore orange and blue two weeks ago for Tony Maneotis' "Bronco-mania," give yourself a pat on the back.

If you didn't, don't worry, you'll get another chance.

The city of Craig was chosen by the Denver Broncos as one of eight cities across the state that are the football team's biggest fans.

"I got a phone call from Bobby Mestas, the Broncos guy that's putting the contest on, and he said that he really enjoyed the video that we put together," Maneotis said. "He really liked the enthusiasm and seeing all the excitement that we had from the Boys & Girls Club, the mines and the senior citizens. He said it was a great thing that we put together, and they are ready to come to Craig, Colo."

And it won't be a small entourage making the trip from Denver, either.

Broncos Cheerleaders, alumni and even the team mascot - Miles - will make the journey with Super Bowl trophies and rings in tow.

A Broncos flag will be given to the residents of Craig, and a Craig city flag will be flown above Invesco Field at Mile High during a regular season home game to be announced at a later date.

Although a date has yet to be determined for the event, Jones and Maneotis are working on it.

"We know it's going to be soon, like in the next couple of weeks," Maneotis said. "It's definitely going to be before the regular season starts. They are going to bring the whole crew up here with them and see us, and we will all sign a flag that they will bring back with them. It's really great we were chosen."

Craig Mayor Don Jones was notified more than a month ago about the contest, and he didn't hesitate to respond.

"I got the letter from Mr. Pat Bowlen, and I knew it was something the town would get behind," Jones said. "So, I know a couple of Bronco-mania people in town, and I thought of Tony first. He's a logical choice."

Maneotis went after it full throttle.

And why not?

His office at Victory Motors looks something like a shrine to the Broncos, so Jones had an easy choice.

Maneotis spent more than 40 hours arranging events across town in an effort to show the vast array of fans and their dedication to the home team.

The "Bronco-mania" party drew more than 200 participants Aug. 6 throughout the five venues: the Boys & Girls Club of Craig, Trapper Mine, Sunset Meadows, Craig Middle School and the OP Bar & Grill.

Maneotis toted around a camera and submitted the footage to Mestas.

"I didn't get a chance to edit the bloopers out," he said. "But (Mestas) said it was great and that they really enjoyed it. He said the bloopers are what makes it."

Maneotis said that legendary "Orange Crush" defenseman, Billy Thompson, will appear.

"He was number 36," he said. "He's one of the most outstanding players for the Broncos. He'll be here for sure. He's got a lot of records that he's broken and stuff. He's a really great guy."

Maneotis said he was shocked when he got the call.

"I was surprised," he said. "I mean, I was really happy and excited to hear they are coming here to have a good time."

Although the contest is over and Craig has been chosen, that doesn't mean it's time to ditch the blue and orange.

"We want everybody in the community to come out in support," Maneotis said. "We want all the businesses to start decorating in orange and blue. Decorate your houses. It's time to get crazy again."

John Vandelinder can be reached at 875-1793 or jvandelinder@craigdailypress.com.

Comments

Craig_gal 6 years, 4 months ago

YES!! alright you nay-sayers get out the orange and blue

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations Craig! Wish I could be there. I don't think I'm ever getting out of Arkansas!

Do we have to wear orange and blue?? those colors just don't do a thing for my complexion!!! lol Grannyr, why are you spending so much time down there?? Did you and your hubby actually move down there?

Craig_gal 6 years, 4 months ago

arkansas????? get back up here woman... Wish you were here too Granny. Someone has to keep everyone in line

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

someone is very sick in the family I'm afraid. thoughts and prayers sis.

Really, 50, someone in their family is sick?? Well Grannyr, you take as much time as you need to and just remember we miss you and we're very glad you can keep in touch with us through the forum.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks 50 and lonelyone--Move down here? I'd rather be dunked in a boiling vat of tar than move down here. Have had an infestation of flea's, had to have Termenix come and spray, and darn near killed our dog. What a mess. I have been bit and chewed to within an inch of my life. You don't know what misery is till you have been introduced to ticks, chiggers and fleas. Plus, they have a million different poisonous snakes here too. And we are out in the country. Hot and humid. Just not used to this. Love to all of you. I miss you 50.

bigrred1576 6 years, 4 months ago

I have been through Arkansas and stayed a few days. There are bugs, ticks, and snakes. Glad its you and not me. And the humidity is oppressive. Hope you can get back to dryer climate soon Granny. B R O N C O S Rule

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks bigred but I wouldn't be glad anyone is here. Terminex is coming again tomorrow. Put our buddy in a kennel today. He may be there a while, but I'm not killing him over darn flea's. I'd just about sell my soul for a chance to be in Craig when the Broncos get there. I've met some of the older players when they came to town. What great guys most of them are. Have fun with this. It doesn't happen that often.

grannyrett 6 years, 3 months ago

I would really love for someone to get some pictures and e-mail them to me when they get to town. I don't think it's going to last much longer down here. It's hard waiting, but all in all, I'm glad we came. We have been able to visit with family a lot. Of course, they are all Dallas fans. YUCK! How did I ever get stuck in Cowboy country? That's all they have on tv-Dallas Cowboys. Preseason would be a hoot in Colorado, but, I guess I'll just have to educate them.