Cory Overton: Explaining gas prices

I am writing in response to the Editorial Board's view on gas prices in Craig. I am one of the tanker drivers who hauls gas to some of the stations in Craig, Steamboat Springs, Meeker, Rifle and Grand Junction. First, I would like to say that 90 percent of gas that comes to Craig and Steamboat comes out of Denver.

I would like to know how all the tankers haul it through Craig on the way to Steamboat. That's not true.

Now, the price in Grand Junction changes fast because most stations there get a load every day, unlike Craig or Steamboat or Meeker.

Most of those three towns get a load every five to six days if not longer, so when the price falls in Denver, it takes a week to get here. That's if you can get a load before it goes up in Grand Junction. They raise prices before they get a load and lower it when it drops by 20 cents, if you're lucky. So, next time, find out where the loads come from. I agree that prices are high here, but that's one price you pay for living here in Craig.

In Grand Junction it takes 30 minutes to go to the store, and all the time you wait to get in a restaurant there makes you appreciate where you live and what you have.

Cory Overton

Comments

John Kinkaid 6 years, 4 months ago

The price that I pay for living here???? I don't think so. We are being price gouged.

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

50-what would we do without you here to set everything straight??

taxslave 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey, the downtown Conoco station gives a 5 cents a gallon discount for cash and you don't have to buy any groceries or slide anything for it.

He also keeps yummie bananna taffy by the reg.

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

whoa..down boys!! (at least i think you are boys-sorry if not)...all i was saying is that he is more, K&G doesn't raise their prices to match his. But you also get what you pay for and I know the mileage in my diesel goes to crap if I use K&G diesel fuel. I always fill my truck at Denny's. Plus he has a better air compressor and the boys there will always come out & offer to help.

and how are you suppose to get those discounts if no one is there on Sunday or in the evenings?? I have a little card from the chamber that says I can have a 5 cent discount, but when I want to buy from him, no one is there?!!?!

Sorry Cory, but yoru letter does't make alot of sense.......but thank you for trying. If we're only getting gas here every 5 to 6 days, then why does the gas price go up so fast. At the littlest hint of something going on, the price in Craig goes up. So the stations are upping the price on gas they got last week and paid a lower price for, if what your saying is true??? I should say possibly paid a lower price for. Cuz that sure seems to be the pattern around here. And I agree with Jason, "the price we pay for living in Craig"??? What about the price you pay for living in Steamboat and they are cheaper there????

redneckgirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Downtown Conoco is always higher priced on fuel.

taxslave 6 years, 4 months ago

Shelter-in-place issued after sulfur fume release at Valero plant in Houston

08:03 AM CDT on Monday, August 4, 2008

<p>KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON -- Firefighters and hazmat crews were at the scene of an apparent explosion at the Valero plant in Houston Monday morning.

It happened around 7:15 a.m.

Officials said some kind of explosion caused sulfur fumes to be released from a large, metal tank.

They ordered a shelter-in-place for the Manchester community.

Debris was scattered on the ground below where the tank ruptured.

What appeared to be a gaping hole could also be seen in the side of the tank.

It was unclear what caused the incident or if anyone was injured.

The plant is located at the East Loop and Manchester.

HFD said its crews were there strictly as a precautionary measure, and Valero was handling the situation alone.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

what the! that makes no sense, I used to drive a tanker in a past life as well. this is so easy to explain with out being a . Freight is added on to every gallon of gas that is hauled into any station. when I was hauling it, it was 44 cents a gallon into craig from Rawlins wy. Meeker was about 52 cents a gallon we didn't go to steamboat. Steamboats came out of Denver. Denver is closer to steamboat than rawlins so the price is cheaper in steamboat. So as the distance gos so gos your price.

Now the manager of the terminal I worked out of would get a market update every morning and would adjust prices accordingly IF they were going up. (had to pay for the fuel coming in next week) but the prices never went down when the market dropped because we had to pay for the fuel that was at the higher price??? thats the game as it is played. By the Way most tankers will haul 7200 gallons of gas and 6800 gallons of deisel so I will let you do the math on what every Tanker load in 2002 cost coming in here. you can only imagine the prices of freight now.

Neal Harkner 6 years, 4 months ago

The problem in Craig, as it's always been, is a lack of competition. You have K&G - the 800lb gorilla, and then you have everyone else. Because Kum & Go dominates the marketplace there is no incentive for the others to try to undercut them. They'll happily go along and let Kum & Go be the price to beat.

If you really want to send a message to convenience store owners, don't buy the stuff in the store. They make FAR more money off the coffee, donuts, candy bars, soda, etc inside the store than they do the gas.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

locals should buy gas at Denny's store, The fuel is branded (the only branded fuel in town) you get a five cent discount and we should show our support for a local without buying all that junk food.

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm thats a good question lonely, I say we give Denny a call at home and ask for one. He probably would be happy to come down and get it for you. I don't usually get there in time either but at about two miles per gallon better than K&G fuel I pay just to have the savings with the milage. Thats the only justification I can give.

Ray Cartwright 6 years, 4 months ago

Denny raises his price and then sits on it until he has to raise it again. I have actually seen it when he has a lower price than the K & G and then to add on the 5 cent discount that is a real steal. (smirk, smirk)

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

I hate giving money to a big corporation out of Iowa. Much better to spend it at a local business, and as 50 said, it's the only branded fuel in town. I also get better gas mileage with it. Both of the convenience stores, kg and loaf and jug used to get their fuel from the same place.

what about Craig Card lock or one of the other bulk plants, are they not branded gas too?? just wondering. Jodie has to be doesn't she, since her gas comes from Sinclair?

50cal 6 years, 4 months ago

yes your right lonely it does come from sinclair. I used to fuel there but don't anymore.

Isis 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi folks. Here's an address that will explain about where we get our fuel and the "branding" theory. It basically comes from the same plant and then a retailer puts their name on it. I feel that anyone paying extra per gallon is simply paying for the Branded Company's advertising. Read the information and decide for yourself.